• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New world record - Unopened Super Mario Bros. sells for $660,000

GamesAreFun

Banned
jpg

The previous record was $144,000 - also for Super Mario Bros.

The game was labelled "Super Mario Bros. - Wata 9.6 A+ Sealed [Hangtab, 1 Code, Mid-Production], NES Nintendo 1985 USA".

So why is this particular copy of Super Mario Bros. so valuable? It's only the fourth version of Super Mario Bros. ever produced, and its window of production was remarkably short, Heritage Auctions said. The nationwide US release for the NES came in mid-to-late 1986, and black box games distributed for that release did not have the "Game Pak NES-GP" code. Nintendo added the trademark symbol to the NES on its game boxes by the beginning of 1987. That means this copy of the game can be dated to some point between late 1986 and the beginning of 1987 - a short production run indeed.

SantaC

I wish i found something like this in my drawer.

I lost my Super Mario Bros crystal display game and watch. Gaf plz tell me it wasnt worth much.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
If you’re video game is literally the most iconic video game of all time that spawns sequels that are beloved over the next 30-40 years and becomes an icon worth billions? Yes. If your video game is some dog shit like Destiny? No.
I agree. Though you may trigger some destiny diehards in here. If there is any.

I regret spending money on that destiny shit. I was peer pressured to play with friends man.

Rat Rage

That's a lot of money, holy shit! Super Mario Bros. is a pretty good game, though.

Who knows, maybe it was Nintendo themselves who bought it for their secret sealed in house archive.

Last edited:

Kerotan

That's insane. Crazy thing is the value will just keep going up. Imagine if anything like this survives another 200 or 1000 years what it would be worth by then.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Nearly a million US dollars for the most common video game of history.

That's insane. How egocentric can an individual be!

Is it going in a museum or something?

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
I wouldn't even buy it for $100 in the same condition today if I didn't know its collectible value.

What a moronic hobby.

Afaik products that skyrocket in price are those that are ultra rare or have some unique defects. It's a perfectly sealed retro game okay, and those are not common nowadays, but I find the price totally overkill. But those transactions are usually done so the new owner will try to place it more expensive in some years

Top Bottom