• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Van Helsing Movie Reportedly in Development at Universal

Airbus Jr

Banned
New Van Helsing Movie Reportedly in Development at Universal

LKoz3w6.jpg

Universal is reportedly planning to continue its monster movie series relaunch with a new Van Helsingmovie, set to be directed by Overlord’s Julius Avery.

According to Deadline’s sources, Universal is developing an original horror/thriller set in the world of Van Helsing, and inspired by the studio’s legacy of monster horror films. James Wan will produce under his Atomic Monster production company.

The report makes clear that Avery’s film is set in the world of the vampire hunter, rather than necessarily being a Van Helsing-fronted film. That world is, of course, adapted from Bram Stoker’s Dracula novel, in which Van Helsing leads a team in a campaign against Count Dracula.

This film will follow The Invisible Man, Universal’s most recent monster movie reboot, and the first of the studio’s new direction for its monster portfolio following the abandonment of its interconnected Dark Universe plans. According to Deadline, the success of The Invisible Man means that the possibility of an R rating for this Van Helsing project is on the table. Avery’s Overlord was also notably dark and gory, and so a grisly approach to the subject may be possible.

A script is apparently already written by Eric Pearson (Thor: Ragnarok, Black Widow), and Avery is currently rewriting.

Van Helsing was, of course, previously explored by Universal in the 2004 movie starring Hugh Jackmanand directed by Stephen Sommers.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I thought their MONSTERS universe failed after the mummy reboot?

Stitch

Gold Member
I thought their MONSTERS universe failed after the mummy reboot?
The Dark Universe was cancelled, but they're still planing to make more Monster movies. They released The invisible man this year and it was successful, even with the covid crap going on.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm down. I actually quite enjoyed the one with Hugh Jackman, it wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable enough. Jackman is good in pretty much anything I feel like. The concept is great, and I think enough time has passed for a reboot so I'd be interested in watching it for sure. Will keep an eye on this.

First movie is p baller, not gonna lie

It works because its not pretentious at all
I remember this movie getting A LOT of hate.

Seems over a decade like it now.

It's like Independence Day. People trashed that movie and I was one of the few who admitted I loved it.

Now though people say it was great.

It's weird how over time movies people disliked all of a sudden like.

Like even Avatar.... Oh wait no, people still hate Avatar.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I absolutely adore the 2004 Van Helsing. Seeing it at home with family and friends at the cusp of adulthood is one of my fondest memories.
The movie itself was great too. A fun romp through and through. And Kate Beckinsale was an absolute babe in that movie.

quickwhips

i would be down for something like vampire hunter d live action just new monsters every movie. Hell make something like supernatural season 1 with a real budget and keep it going for 5-6 movies.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I came into this thread expecting to see some ass and tits. (and possibly redheads)

wtf is going on??

Top Bottom