• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Updates to Xbox App on Windows 10 PCs Let You Stream Console Games From the Cloud or Your Home Console

Just gave this a try with FH4 and Doom Eternal and worked really well, very responsive, don't know if there anyway to force it to 720p or 1080p or if its just dynamic based on internet speed. Much better performance than on my Iphone which feels a bit lagging still.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So you can stream the games you own from your own console, and you can stream Gamepass from xCloud, but you can't stream the games you own from xCloud? Am I the only person who finds this a bit odd?

Last edited:

Schmick

So you can stream the games you own from your own console, and you can stream Gamepass from xCloud, but you can't stream the games you own from xCloud? Am I the only person who finds this a bit odd?
It's a contractual issue with the publishers hence now MS will have in agreement with publishers/develpers that to be on Xbox they agree to having their games available from xCloud with the idea to eventually give Xbox users the ability to stream any game from xCloud regardless of whether its in the Gamepass library or not.

Last edited:

elliot5

In 2019 or some shit they said playing your purchased games via xCloud would come in 2020, but that got pushed out. I think it'll come end of the year or early next

BlackGauna

Doesn't work for me unfortunately on Windows 10 with a dualshock 4 controller (with or without DS4Windows).
I can't get past the main menu in Gears 5 as it doesn't register any inputs. Only happening for cloud gaming, any other installed game works normally.

Edit: works after a system restart.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
No, that's why MS is trying to change that.
From Epic court case:

unknown.png

Hezekiah

Banned
TVs occupied, you're not at home, want to play Xbox or 360 games on your PC while doing other stuff, stream games not on XCloud but stuff you have downloaded, etc
TV's occupied? Do people really have one TV in a multi-person household in this day and age??

Gamezone

Gold Member
No, that's why MS is trying to change that.
From Epic court case:

unknown.png

I don't get why publishers would be mad because of this. It's not like people will buy the game on Xbox hardware, then double dip elsewhere to get it in the cloud.

I don't get why publishers would be mad because of this. It's not like people will buy the game on Xbox hardware, then double dip elsewhere to get it in the cloud.
They might be trying to restrict cloud access without paying a 2nd time. Sony and Netflix supposedly in talks.

That's why it's so remarkable that it's a free bonus on Xbox. It is likely not going to be free everywhere else. The "Dual entitlement" guys are not likely to give you another free entitlement.

Last edited:

reksveks

Publishers weirdly think that there might be a non-trivial number of users will do that.

The concern that they raised was if you sold your game on xbox, which allowed a user to stream on PC. Would that infringe on any epic game store exclusive deal? I would hope that Microsoft are working on that concern with EGS directly.

kuncol02

Banned
Publishers weirdly think that there might be a non-trivial number of users will do that.

The concern that they raised was if you sold your game on xbox, which allowed a user to stream on PC. Would that infringe on any epic game store exclusive deal? I would hope that Microsoft are working on that concern with EGS directly.
It's more. That actually kills all Stadia/PSNow exclusivity deals unless publisher is ok with not releasing on XBox.

tronied

I tried this last night and was really impressed. I didn't suffer any lag and the games seemed really responsive. The only slight downside is the resolution, but when you're used to 4k, ~1080p seems obviously less crisp but perfectly playable. Had a go on Dirt 5, Battlefield V and Steep and were perfectly playable. It's amazing where we've come to now that this is possible. Only thing I would say is I've a 550mb connection so experiences may vary.

T-Cake

I don't know what's going on. I wonder if my ISP is messing up. But I am continuously getting network errors with the Xbox app. Tomorrow I will try again with both the app and webpage to see if both misbehave or just one of them.

Vasto

I tried this last night and was really impressed. I didn't suffer any lag and the games seemed really responsive. The only slight downside is the resolution, but when you're used to 4k, ~1080p seems obviously less crisp but perfectly playable. Had a go on Dirt 5, Battlefield V and Steep and were perfectly playable. It's amazing where we've come to now that this is possible. Only thing I would say is I've a 550mb connection so experiences may vary.

Resolution is supposed to be 1080p but looks 720P to me I guess because its streaming. Overall I am still super impressed with it now because the latency is much improved. They just need to get that resolution up.

Faithless83

Banned
Wait this wasn't possible before? PS4 has this feature.
I thought the Xbox Cloud was about online servers and using your console remotely as well.

Congratz xbox fans.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wait this wasn't possible before? PS4 has this feature.

Yes, it was on the original Windows Xbox companion app. They threw that app out when GamePass started with a new Xbox app and they just added it back in.

Resolution is supposed to be 1080p but looks 720P to me I guess because its streaming. Overall I am still super impressed with it now because the latency is much improved. They just need to get that resolution up.

On the old Xbox companion app you needed to have your Xbox hard-wired to the network for 1080p. Likely the same is still true.

Last edited:

Vasto

On the old Xbox companion app you needed to have your Xbox hard-wired to the network for 1080p. Likely the same is still true.

I tested the streaming from the Cloud on my PC. Have not tested the streaming from the console yet.

Top Bottom