• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Updates to Xbox App on Windows 10 PCs Let You Stream Console Games From the Cloud or Your Home Console

Vasto

Remote-Play-Key-Art.jpg

With these new updates, you now can play some of your favorite console titles on a wide range of PCs, even those that don’t have the specs required for certain PC titles. Streaming games through the Xbox app provides the quickest way to play without having to install games on your PC, giving you more time to dive right into Psychonauts 2, Hades, or whatever else you are playing.

To access games from the cloud on your Windows 10 PC, all you need is an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership and a compatible controller. Open the Xbox App, click the “cloud gaming” button, and select from hundreds of games in your Game Pass library, including Sea of Thieves and Myst, to start playing right away.

We’ve also added new features to help you get started, including easy-to-access information on controller and network status, Game Bar integration, social features to stay connected with friends, and the ability to invite people – even those also playing on cloud – to join you in a game.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Played around with it a bit. The resolution is still a bit iffy, but it's perfectly servicable if you just wanna play something fast without downloading. Also, much more responsive than I remember, so great stuff. Can't wait till streaming comes to console so I can try before downloading.

xion4360

Not working for me..what am I doing wrong? theres no button for cloud

EDIT
ok now I finally found the button..weird I thought it would be on the top row..it should be there honestly.

seems to work better than the browser and mobile platforms. really nice!

Last edited:

Schmick

Are there any games on xCloud using RTX?

Also it's soo cool to be able to play the complete Gears series from my PC!

Last edited:

twilo99

I played through Ascent and Hades via Xcloud on my PC browser. Very impressive service and great value.

I really don't think that people who haven't experienced this can actually understand how convenient it is to just click play on any device and just play.. no installation, no downloads, a most importantly minimal load on the system. Its an amazing service if you want test games out before installing, or if you want to play on weak hardware like laptops and tablets.

I did the same thing with the ascent and psychonauts 2. I would've never played either if it wasn't for gamepass/xcloud

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's more laggy when the systems are on 1gbps LAN, than if you do it through Xcloud (which is 5km from where I live, I am probably one of the few people using it in Czech Republic)...so I am not exactly sure what MS is doing with it. The old ass "console streaming" worked better, but that ended with Xbox One. So yeah, hopefully it improves, I am testing it for like a 6 months and can't say it really got any better.

twilo99

So, I still don't understand how this works form within the app.. I don't see it in there and it is the latest version, so I'm still using the website

elliot5

So, I still don't understand how this works form within the app.. I don't see it in there and it is the latest version, so I'm still using the website
The rollout was delayed so if you don't have an update yet it'll come later today.

Remote play is via an icon near the top right. Cloud gaming is a button near the center above the list of game icons. It's like PC Games, Cloud Gaming and something else as options

elliot5

No I get it, it's on PC, my PC has weak specs and now I can finally play it on the cloud on my PC.
But humankind isn't playable in the cloud on Xbox game pass for pc... Because the cloud uses consoles and humankind isn't on Xbox...

You can buy it on stadia though

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
But humankind isn't playable in the cloud on Xbox game pass for pc... Because the cloud uses consoles and humankind isn't on Xbox...

You can buy it on stadia though
I guess in my excitement I confused Gamepass with the Xbox app.... ok.

elliot5

I guess in my excitement I confused Gamepass with the Xbox app.... ok.
Honestly check it out on stadia if you want to stream it bc it works better than xCloud and has keyboard and mouse support unlike xCloud (which obviously helps for 4X games).

Though I get not wanting to pay more if it's included in your sub

twilo99

The rollout was delayed so if you don't have an update yet it'll come later today.

Remote play is via an icon near the top right. Cloud gaming is a button near the center above the list of game icons. It's like PC Games, Cloud Gaming and something else as options

Nah, I'm just blind.. thank you lol

They should have a "play in the cloud" button when you click on a game tho

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

M16

It's more laggy when the systems are on 1gbps LAN, than if you do it through Xcloud (which is 5km from where I live, I am probably one of the few people using it in Czech Republic)...so I am not exactly sure what MS is doing with it. The old ass "console streaming" worked better, but that ended with Xbox One. So yeah, hopefully it improves, I am testing it for like a 6 months and can't say it really got any better.
It's your network dude

No mouse and keyboard?
Had to plug in my xbox controller dongle thingy. Ran around in Myst.
Everything looks nice just a tiny bit of lag. Kept getting an antenna symbol in upper left and would hitch a bit.
Trying to quit the game is a head scratcher but it seems you press the xbox button get a popup that says quit game but then you have to grab your mouse and point to upper left corner of screen and a menu comes up for quit game.
Why can't I use my mouse and keyboard?

Last edited:

elliot5

No mouse and keyboard?
Had to plug in my xbox controller dongle thingy. Ran around in Myst.
Everything looks nice just a tiny bit of lag. Kept getting an antenna symbol in upper left and would hitch a bit.
Trying to quit the game is a head scratcher but it seems you press the xbox button get a popup that says quit game but then you have to grab your mouse and point to upper left corner of screen and a menu comes up for quit game.
Why can't I use my mouse and keyboard?
It's streaming from Xbox Series X blades in azure centers. It just doesn't support MKB as an input device over the net

Trying to quit is also a pain, but it works better via the app than the browser for me. Browser the xbox button does jack shit really, but in the app I can navigate around with my dpad and such it seems

elliot5

So would fifa22 work like this? Is it only gamepass titles or any console game ?
It works for a subset of game pass games (games that are cloud enabled). That's a lot of game pass games, but not all. I don't think FIFA is cloud enabled, but some EA games are like Madden 20

If you OWN Fifa 22 and have it installed on your local Xbox, you can remote play it that way.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
why do you want to game on PC streaming from your console...when you can game on your console with less input lag and such?am i missing something here?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

why do you want to game on PC streaming from your console...when you can game on your console with less input lag and such?am i missing something here?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
Sometimes I have down time with work and just want to check something out quickly e.g. away from my console. Sometimes the kids have friends over and are taking up console(s). Sometimes I just want to check out a game and not install it all e.g. via gamepass. Sometimes you could be out and about on your phone e.g. dentist waiting room, airport etc.

There's plenty of complimentary reasons for game streaming, it's not just a replacement to your console(s).

Kataploom

Gold Member
What about an update for the fucking error 0x0000001? All good with Game Pass untill I started having it and not even a clean reinstall of windows fixed it

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'll maybe try this later, but has anyone tried the direct from your xbox streaming vs cloud? Was it much better?

Wonko_C

Does this mean I can play Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis on my old PC without needing to buy an Xbox console? I hope that is the case since GeForce Now doesn't host it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'll maybe try this later, but has anyone tried the direct from your xbox streaming vs cloud? Was it much better?

Follow up, tried this on a wired network, definateky more responsive than the cloud gaming (which makes sense). Still a tiny bit of lag and of course the reduced resolution/compression but looks nice overall. Would be nice if this feature makes its way to the app that will eventually be on fire tv/Google tv/etc as its a pretty good replacement for a second tv. (Similar to buying say a series s for the second tv, but without the cost)

Last edited:
Top Bottom