• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trailer for Destiny 2: Lightfall - Weapons and Gear

sainraja

The new sidearm, likely the seasonal weapon, I was hoping for a hand cannon.....ah well, got my favorite Fatebringer so will keep using that. :D

Last edited:
anyone else feel like it's time for a new engine or major update to the engine for Destiny? graphics are just so outdated imo. not saying it looks terrible. just feels dated. i'm all for games as a service, but it'd be nice if they treated these chapters or seasons or whatever they're doing as launches and revamped and updated the aesthetics. hard to justify redownloading the 20000GB game that updates every week, pay another $70, etc. just to do more space chores in the same old environments just with different textures.

Jinjo

My first reaction is that PvP'ers gonna be mad salty if woven mail is Hunter exclusive lol.

Great to see some new 3.0 perks on the weapons. Strand and its weapons look really cool too.

anyone else feel like it's time for a new engine or major update to the engine for Destiny? graphics are just so outdated imo. not saying it looks terrible. just feels dated. i'm all for games as a service, but it'd be nice if they treated these chapters or seasons or whatever they're doing as launches and revamped and updated the aesthetics. hard to justify redownloading the 20000GB game that updates every week, pay another $70, etc. just to do more space chores in the same old environments just with different textures.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, but also not bad by any definition imo. The art saves it a lot. My biggest objection is the horrible performance on newer hardware for a game that came out in 2017. Performance has been steadily dropping on PC over the years, it badly needs some optimisation most of all.

It's a shame that Destinty 1 had an actual vision that was interesting. I was pretty engaged in the story and it was easy to follow. The planets were also pretty fun to explore.

And now they've just ruined it it. Even going as far as removing planets that were once in the game. Very disappointing.

Neolombax

It's a shame that Destinty 1 had an actual vision that was interesting. I was pretty engaged in the story and it was easy to follow. The planets were also pretty fun to explore.

And now they've just ruined it it. Even going as far as removing planets that were once in the game. Very disappointing.
I swear every destiny thread will have this almost copy paste comment about the removal of destinations. No the destinations were not fun to explore, there were no incentives to do it, like at all, even back in Destiny 1. What was this vision that you speak of in Destiny 1 that was way better compared to Destint 2? From an active player, Destiny 2 has a much clearer storyline with a defined destination. If anything, Destiny 2 is tying up loose ends in terms narrative left behind in Destiny 1.

gothmog

Gold Member
Looking forward to the new expansion. At this point I basically skip the seasons and only do the expansion content.

Hero_Select

I've always wanted to jump into Destiny 2.. the gunplay always seems like a blast but I have to admit.. I tried a free trial thing like a year ago and I was so lost. Too many icons on the map.

I went down to Earth near a church and just ran around for a bit and it felt like I got nothing done. I'd jump in for a Destiny 3 though

clarky

Gold Member
Dropped off this game so hard after playing daily since the D1 beta. Everything is so samey and they seemingly ditched PVP.

Great game if you've recently got into it though. I think a current gen only D3 would bring me back at this point.

This will be the first expansion i dont buy, didn't even get half way through the last campaign. Saying that if they bring in lfg/matchmaking as promised i might take another look lol.

I swear every destiny thread will have this almost copy paste comment about the removal of destinations. No the destinations were not fun to explore, there were no incentives to do it, like at all, even back in Destiny 1. What was this vision that you speak of in Destiny 1 that was way better compared to Destint 2? From an active player, Destiny 2 has a much clearer storyline with a defined destination. If anything, Destiny 2 is tying up loose ends in terms narrative left behind in Destiny 1.
Maybe if there are so many of the same comments that means we are all on to something.

I was an active player on launch day for Destiny 1. The game had a simple vision. Protect Earth from the invasion force branch out into the solar system to rid other planets of enemies.

The beginning of the end was when they fired Peter Dinklage. I'm a massive Nolan North fan from playing Uncharted but his version of the ghost sucks compared to what it was.

That's where I dropped off the game.

Then they started making all of these shitty DLC's for it.

Destiny 2 was uninteresting from the get go. But I eventually tried it for the first time last year and even though it was cool playing the opening mission from Destiny 1 I had no fucking idea what do after I completed it.

There are no quest markers or direcytion at all. It basically just feels like you are playing poorly made MMO side missions for no reason other than to shoot things.

Then someone told me that the reason I was co fused is because you can't even play the Destiny 2 campaign from the start because a bunch of it was removed. Which is pathetic.

Neolombax

This will be the first Destiny expansion that I have yet to preorder very close to release. Theres something about Lightfall that isnt pulling me in. A new darkness subclass, a new destination, plus weapons with a new energy type should make me excited but it just isnt. Cant put a finger on why.

Maybe if there are so many of the same comments that means we are all on to something.

I was an active player on launch day for Destiny 1. The game had a simple vision. Protect Earth from the invasion force branch out into the solar system to rid other planets of enemies.

The beginning of the end was when they fired Peter Dinklage. I'm a massive Nolan North fan from playing Uncharted but his version of the ghost sucks compared to what it was.

Then they started making all of these shitty DLC's for it.

Destiny 2 was uninteresting from the get go. But I eventually tried it for the first time last year and even though it was cool playing the opening mission from Destiny 1 I had no fucking idea what do after I completed it.

There are no quest markers or direcytion at all. It basically just feels like you are playing poorly made MMO side missions for no reason other than to shoot things.

Then someone told me that the reason I was co fused is because you can't even play the Destiny 2 campaign from the start because a bunch of it was removed. Which is pathetic.

You go to quests, then click the quest you want to track. It even separates the quests between new players, newest campaign, newest season, weapons and playlists. That's not a negative point about the game, but more so your lack of clicking the quest button.

Freeman76

This will be the first Destiny expansion that I have yet to preorder very close to release. Theres something about Lightfall that isnt pulling me in. A new darkness subclass, a new destination, plus weapons with a new energy type should make me excited but it just isnt. Cant put a finger on why.
Burned too many times, at least thats why im not jumping in. Fed up of missing out on shit i paid for because i dont play it like a second job

STARSBarry

Gold Member
In a way I'm impressed with Destiny 2. It reminds me of the way only people who play WoW give a shit about it, you step slightly outside of that and it's just the same dripfeed of generic looking shit every time for people looking in. Yet the players scream... but sadly I walked when they started vaulting content and il never backtrack on that.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Nah as a active player since day 0. Theres only you that thinks this. Sure there s been some lows like tedious material farming, the gear reset before the Dark Below( funnily enough your golden age was a real low point for most) Curse of Osiris and Shadowkeep to name a few. But the game has been its best after they fired dinklebot. Taken king, Warmind, Rise of iron, Forsaken. Some fantastic raids. I could go on.

You need to take your rose tinted specs off because day one destiny was fucking shit, if it wasn't for vault of glass the game probably wouldn't be around.

If you're on PlayStation, there's a good chance that this will be free at launch. The same guy who accurately leaks the PS Plus titles month after month has said this will be included in next month's titles. I have no idea how that would work for people who did preorder, though.

[Edit] Nevermind, wrong expansion.

Last edited:
Nah as a active player since day 0. Theres only you that thinks this. Sure there s been some lows like tedious material farming, the gear reset before the Dark Below( funnily enough your golden age was a real low point for most) Curse of Osiris and Shadowkeep to name a few. But the game has been its best after they fired dinklebot. Taken king, Warmind, Rise of iron, Forsaken. Some fantastic raids. I could go on.

You need to take your rose tinted specs off because day one destiny was fucking shit, if it wasn't for vault of glass the game probably wouldn't be around.
It doesn't seem like my opinion is that unpopular if this other guy is saying there are always comments like mine.

I don't have rose tinted glasses. I just think the original game was better and had an actual direction.

When you play this game now it literally throws you into one of the most confusing mission systems I've ever seen.

You go up and talk to random characters with no context given about who they are or why you should even talk to them in the first place.

clarky

Gold Member
It doesn't seem like my opinion is that unpopular if this other guy is saying there are always comments like mine.

I don't have rose tinted glasses. I just think the original game was better and had an actual direction.

When you play this game now it literally throws you into one of the most confusing mission systems I've ever seen.

You go up and talk to random characters with no context given about who they are or why you should even talk to them in the first place.
I Agree that the new and returning player experience is terrible.

What I was disagreeing with was that you said its been down hill since the dark below (ish). Nothing could be farther from the truth and you'll be hard pressed to find any Destiny fan that agrees with you.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Does anyone truly still want the "10 year game"? It sounds great on paper for execs but for gamers after year 4/5 it's a nightmare, especially for new players.

Outside of true MMO franchises gamers should wholly reject the "10 year game".

Shubh_C63

This is probably the first time I have not been blown away by a Destiny trailer. I expected more.

And this dlc without a doubt would be among the best dlc of destiny 2. The overall meta and qol changes enough guarantees this.

Yes! So much so

Does anyone truly still want the "10 year game"? It sounds great on paper for execs but for gamers after year 4/5 it's a nightmare, especially for new players.

Outside of true MMO franchises gamers should wholly reject the "10 year game".
Yes. It's one of those trends that only really benefits the devs and publishers. Kinda like cross play being turned on by default in multiplayer games.

I'm still mad about the vaulting of content. Can't believe they were able to get away with it in the first place. Huge swathes of paid for content just taken away from paying customers.

CuNi

I'm still mad about the vaulting of content. Can't believe they were able to get away with it in the first place. Huge swathes of paid for content just taken away from paying customers.
Vaulting and sunsetting were the worst things they ever cooked up.
I stopped playing the last season before Witch Queen because I just couldn't stomach it anymore to run the same raids, the same strikes and the same activities every season to no end to grind PL and Artifact Level just to do GM Strikes, only for all the progress to be erased after 3 months and having to regrind it all...

Since then the Story and aesthetics also evolved in a direction I very much dislike (Toxic Spider-Man, Hacking "Reality") and the only reason I am and will continue to be so salty and mad about that game, is because I loved and played the shit out of D2 when it came out and made some great memories. To me, it feels like they ran the game into the ground. It's obviously far from dying, but I feel like it could be in a way better spot if they'd have fixed their engine and content production pipeline right from the start.

Dynasty8

Honestly, after all the 343 backlash and Halo going in a shitty direction, Destiny has been the one FPS series that has consistently kept me entertained. Every year brings something new and exciting and the story has really evolved since the grimiore card days. I agree with the new player experience and removal of Red War and Forsaken campaigns really sucks... But the game still offers WAY more fun, variety, replayability than all the other fps games of the last 10 years for me.

Neolombax

If you're on PlayStation, there's a good chance that this will be free at launch. The same guy who accurately leaks the PS Plus titles month after month has said this will be included in next month's titles. I have no idea how that would work for people who did preorder, though.
I think thats the Beyond Light expansion which was Year 4. Lightfall will be the Year 6 expansion.
Burned too many times, at least thats why im not jumping in. Fed up of missing out on shit i paid for because i dont play it like a second job
I think this is also one of the reasons. I've been playing since D1 The Dark Below and have yet to miss any expansions or seasons since. When they made D2 casual friendly the experience felt empty and boring, and when they changed it closer to an MMO, it felt too demanding as a commitment.

Honestly, after all the 343 backlash and Halo going in a shitty direction, Destiny has been the one FPS series that has consistently kept me entertained. Every year brings something new and exciting and the story has really evolved since the grimiore card days. I agree with the new player experience and removal of Red War and Forsaken campaigns really sucks... But the game still offers WAY more fun, variety, replayability than all the other fps games of the last 10 years for me.

Pretty much this.

The gameplay in Destiny is unmatched, and the variety of content and timely releases keeps players hooked.

I do hope they learn how to improve the new player experience and not vault stuff and allow all the trinkets they've collected to still remain relevant in some way. That's a big challenge, but if they can do those then it'll really improve the experience.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Haven’t liked any of the exotics since the warlock gloves that work with thorn. Mostly use eye of another world (fast charges skills) and black talon (sword that lauches a flying disk and gives a good dmg buff when u block an incoming hit). Got sick of switch shit out all the time.

sainraja

Destiny is the best it has ever been! The Witch Queen campaign was pretty awesome, and I am replaying it on my Hunter and enjoying it a second time. I am looking forward to what Lightfall has to offer. The only type of content I didn't engage with yet for Witch Queen was the new raid (the exotic was not appealing) but I will definitely give it a go at some point.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
More interested in the legendary stuff 180rpm hand canon with explosive rounds and substisstance please….

SCB3

I'm actually not that sold on Lightfall, I'll still be putting in the hours and hope I'm wrong but man did Shadowkeep really keep my hype down for Expansions since, then again I loved Beyond Light

sainraja

I'm actually not that sold on Lightfall, I'll still be putting in the hours and hope I'm wrong but man did Shadowkeep really keep my hype down for Expansions since, then again I loved Beyond Light
The Witch Queen campaign is pretty fun. It is also a balanced in terms of how long it is.

Same here. I have zero enthusiasm for this release. This last season really had me board - haven't even reached level 100 yet (at 93).

SCB3

The Witch Queen campaign is pretty fun. It is also a balanced in terms of how long it is.
Yea true, its fun on Legendary Solo, the campaigns usally are really good, the Wellspring however really burnt me out on Throne World stuff pretty hard and Vow not having a great Exotic made me not want to do it more that a handful of times

sainraja

Yea true, its fun on Legendary Solo, the campaigns usally are really good, the Wellspring however really burnt me out on Throne World stuff pretty hard and Vow not having a great Exotic made me not want to do it more that a handful of times
Yeah, I feel the same way about the exotic; the exotic for Vow is kind of ugly, and its perk didn't entice me enough to pursue it. I also didn't like the look of any of the legendaries.

Last edited:

SCB3

Yeah, I feel the same way about the exotic; the exotic for Vow is kind of ugly, and its perk didn't entice me enough to pursue it. I also didn't like the look of any of the legendaries.
I feel like they switched that Exotic with something else last min as it doesn't fit the Raid at all, the legendaries are kinda nice adn Soul Drinker is a damned fun perk, I still need the Glaive to drop though

sainraja

I feel like they switched that Exotic with something else last min as it doesn't fit the Raid at all, the legendaries are kinda nice adn Soul Drinker is a damned fun perk, I still need the Glaive to drop though
Yeah, wouldn't surprised me and I haven't tried out the Soul Drinker perk but I don't see myself using the legendary guns with that perk for very long given how they look. I would just put it in the vault and it is full as it is lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom