• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Switch controller inbound? Possibly an N64 variant based on rumours of N64 games coming to platform.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Reddit

A few days ago a new Game Controller got registrated by Nintendo via the FCC. The filling was updated and all its related confidential info (images and what the controller really is) will be revealed this Friday.
https://gov.fccid.io/BKEHAC043 - (click Summary)

Unless Nintendo wants this controller to be leaked by literally the US government, we can expect the announcement either tomorrow or Thursday... possibly in a Direct.

Star-Lord

Killed off? I suppose they want to sell more Switches and Online subscriptions when N64 games hit the service.
See, now, I’d prefer the Mini over an online-based subscription service, but that’s just me. They’ve already done the NES and SNES, and that was with the Switch being released.

Fahdis

Still trying to figure out how the fuck you hold that retarded rejected batarang that Robin used as a three pronged dildo.

Fahdis

sM4Z464.png

1 Quick Google Search later with Batarang, Robin, Dildo and N64 controller later....

I'm going to sleep... and sorry for derailing the thread and double posting... this was important and that's enough internet today.

Mods please feel free to delete.

Last edited:

nkarafo

But if you want to play any of N64's FPS games, you need to hold like this and use the appropriate control scheme in the options (1.2 Solitare for Goldeneye for instance)

9kad6GN.jpg

This way you get a nice keyboard + mouse equivalent and it's also similar to modern dual analog controls (left =move/strafe + right =aim/turn). You don't need to use the c-buttons and re-wire your brain having a reverse scheme.

This is the one reason why the N64 controller is great. You can't play fully 3D FPS games properly with any other single stick pad.

Last edited:

KellyNole

But if you want to play any of N64's FPS games, you need to hold like this and use the appropriate control scheme in the options (1.2 Solitare for Goldeneye for instance)

9kad6GN.jpg

This way you get a nice keyboard + mouse equivalent and it's also similar to modern dual analog controls (left =move/strafe + right =aim/turn). You don't need to use the c-buttons and re-wire your brain having a reverse scheme.

This is the one reason why the N64 controller is great. You can't play fully 3D FPS games properly with any other single stick pad.

Got to go with the dual analog set up in goldeneye with two controllers lol.

nkarafo

Got to go with the dual analog set up in goldeneye with two controllers lol.
That's viable as well. Somewhat clunky but the shape of the controller supports the weight situation if you hold it with one hand pretty well. It's kinda like an early Wiimote+Nunchuck or holding either half of the Switch controller, separated.

And this way you get true dual analog as well.

Saber

Gold Member
It would be the dumbest idea ever created. N64 controller is not good ergonic speaking and its analog is so trash that it didn't last a few times.

But Nintendo proved to know what kind of people they're dealing with. I'm still betting this rumor is wrong though.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

9kad6GN.jpg

Bro.

Even two sticks are inferior compared to keyboard and mouse, and you're trying to sell one stick as equivalent to mouse and keyboard?

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

Last edited:

nkarafo

Bro.

Even two sticks are inferior compared to keyboard and mouse, and you're trying to sell one stick as equivalent to mouse and keyboard?

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif
Equivalent is the wrong word.

Its more like similar in function. You have the left side for movement with only one speed (no range) and the right side for aim-turn with analog-wide range.

Not arguing a mouse is faster and more precise.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

The PlayStation Classic scared them off.

Chronology wise we should get a Gameboy Mini first, then the VirtualBoy Mini before we get the N64 mini
Why would we get a Gameboy Mini? Or a VirtualBoy? Both were handhelds (VB was a chunky, piece of crap VR headset) so don’t need a Mini, whereas N64 was a full-blown console.

Or am I missing some sort of joke?

Synless

I just want joy con's without drifting
This, I know we have had numerous threads around this but I have never had to replace more controllers than I have the joycons. They are literally pieces of shit. I am glad there is that card "repair" now. It doesn't fix the other issue though that is the battery health on these things is also trash.

BlackTron

I'm actually ONLY interested if they use the original control stick design.

It was the most accurate, precise control stick in a gamepad ever made, and every day less exist in decent shape. For them to go back into production would be a gift.

jaysius

Banned
Hopefully they'll show it in tomorrow's direct.

If it's an N64 for the 2 or 3 N64 roms they'll put on the system before they completely abandon it like the NES and SNES then fuck it, it's not worth it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm actually ONLY interested if they use the original control stick design.

It was the most accurate, precise control stick in a gamepad ever made, and every day less exist in decent shape. For them to go back into production would be a gift.
It's actually the stick bowls that wear down. You can buy heat treated steel ones that solve that issue. I put one in my main 64 controller with superlube and it works great.

But I want wireless 64 controllers for PC and retroarch.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's actually the stick bowls that wear down. You can buy heat treated steel ones that solve that issue. I put one in my main 64 controller with superlube and it works great.

But I want wireless 64 controllers for PC and retroarch.

I was looking at the steel replacement parts a few weeks ago and just discovered that using lube on them is a thing in this very thread. I've had a never used N64 controller in the box for an eternity and I'm tempted to finally take it out and future-proof it from the get go. I feel like N64 pads are a scarce, consumable commodity so I can't bring myself to use it.

kiphalfton

Calling it a "variant" is extremely gracious. Let's not pretend Nintendo is going to completely revamp it, if they do release it, as are bar none the laziest of the big 3.

They'll just do what they did with the GameCube controller, and release the N64 controller with zero difference from the original. Wouldn't doubt it if it's wired even (because wireless would add too much intrinsic value otherwise).

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was looking at the steel replacement parts a few weeks ago and just discovered that using lube on them is a thing in this very thread. I've had a never used N64 controller in the box for an eternity and I'm tempted to finally take it out and future-proof it from the get go. I feel like N64 pads are a scarce, consumable commodity so I can't bring myself to use it.
You'll be fine if you use lube. Nothing lasts forever though.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I'm a hold out. Never bought a switch, never even saw one in person honestly. But if they start putting N64 stuff on it I will buy 3 for my household day 1.

Last edited:

Neff

It has to be said that announcing N64 in time for OLED would be pretty shrewd. Those old games are spectacularly colouful.

N64 stick is the most precise stick on a standard controller.

It had a microscopic dead zone which really came into its own when playing stuff like GoldenEye 007.

A brand new N64 stick is as good as analogue sticks get. That same stick after a good few years of frequent use will be very different. The problem is the brackets which the stick moves in, which are made of a soft plastic and widen over time, to the point where you have to push the stick hard to get it to register a full tilt, if at all.

If they can replicate that tiny deadzone with a more durable method of sensing stick movement over time, they'll have the greatest controller ever made.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
It had a microscopic dead zone which really came into its own when playing stuff like GoldenEye 007.

A brand new N64 stick is as good as analogue sticks get. That same stick after a good few years of frequent use will be very different. The problem is the brackets which the stick moves in, which are made of a soft plastic and widen over time, to the point where you have to push the stick hard to get it to register a full tilt, if at all.

If they can replicate that tiny deadzone with a more durable method of sensing stick movement over time, they'll have the greatest controller ever made.
The ones I've taken apart don't have that issue, but I have heard of it.

I hypothesize that it's from flicking the stick. I don't do that.

Neff

The ones I've taken apart don't have that issue, but I have heard of it.

I hypothesize that it's from flicking the stick. I don't do that.

It happened to my launch day controller from playing Mario 64 (a lot). I've also had it happen to a couple of controllers which were stored poorly, with the stick pushed out of neutral for long periods of time which in hindsight was only asking for trouble.

I have a Mario Kart 64 controller still in its box, hardly used, for future N64 gaming until Nintendo one day hopefully offers a replacement.

Top Bottom