• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss that show. Thanks for reminding me it got cancelled. What's next, you're gonna bring up Caprica, too?

Second season was great, still, the first season was that bad it killed it dead anyway. Sci-Fi with adolescents simply doesn't work.

Loved Caprica, had promise. Though again the teeny shit killed it.

MCN

Banned
What about the 29th Century, and time travel? You'd think someone would think to go back and fix the broken timeline that caused the Abrams movies.

What horrible title pun will this one use? Star Trek Across Space? Star Trek Through Time? Star Trek Over There?

I really doubt it will be anything other than a lame, low-budget movie tie-in, like Agents of Shield. On top of this, debuting on CBSAA is a guarantee that it'll bomb and get cancelled.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
On the contrary, I firmly believe that debuting on CBSAA is a guarantee that it'll survive a while.

The program kind of sucks right now, its competition is overwhelming, and at current it has only about 100k subscribers. No mistaking it, this is not an ideal situation. But Trek will be a loss-leader, a vanguard for the other All-Access shows sure to come (as per Moonves' claims in the quarterly conference call yesterday) and a hit internationally, raking in the usual surprisingly-strong Trek profits from deals with Space, SkyOne, Germany, France, Australia. CBS International Studios is going to have a field day with this, and it'll doubtless pop up on Netflix and maybe even Hulu months down the line.

Contrast this with what'd happen if the show stuck to the main network, where it'd pull a 1.5 at best by Week 4 in today's climate.

Haha,yes. I would take every horrific Star Trek: TNG S1 episode over one of the worst put together clip shows ever (as the freaking finale, no less omg). High hopes for S3, though.
Yeah, but who could have scried that somehow a quarter century later an even worse homonymous cousin would come to spit in our faces?
WktPiue.jpg

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Star Trek: Into Consciousness

"The exploration of inner and outer space - charting the unknown possibilities of existence"

Late 24th century.

Following on from contact with the Q, mankind's discoveries lead to the eventual realisation of a spiritual component to the physical body. This series explores that and the incredible, mind expanding idea of planets and solar systems being conscious beings intertwined in a cosmic web.

Capt. Picard: We demonstrated to you that mankind had become peaceful and benevolent. You agreed and you let us go on our way. Now why am I standing here again?
Q: Oh, you'd like me to connect the dots for you, lead you from A to B to C, so that your puny mind could comprehend? How boring.

Picard: Now tell me one thing: this anomaly we're looking for - will that destroy humanity?
Q: You're forgetting, Jean-Luc - *you* destroy humanity.

Capt. Picard: [after learning that he successfully collapsed the anomaly] Thank you.
Q: [curious] For what?
Capt. Picard: You had a hand in helping me get out of this.
Q: I was the one that got you into it. A directive from the Continuum. The part about the helping hand, though... was my idea.

Capt. Picard: I sincerely hope that this is the last time that I find myself here.
Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.
Capt. Picard: When I realized the paradox.
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Q: Goodbye, Jean-Luc. I'm gonna miss you. You had such potential. But then again, all good things must come to an end.

[Q's last line of the series]
Q: In any case, I'll be watching. And if you're very lucky, I'll drop by to say hello from time to time. See you... out there!

Capt. Picard: The last time that I stood here was seven years ago.
Q: Seven years ago! How little do you mortals understand time. Must you be so linear, Jean-Luc?
Capt. Picard: You accused me of being the representative of a... a barbarous species.
Q: I believe my exact words were "a dangerous, savage child-race."

Capt. Picard: I sincerely hope that this is the last time that I find myself here.
Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.
Capt. Picard: When I realized the paradox.
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

butalala

Star Trek: Into Consciousness

"The exploration of inner and outer space - charting the unknown possibilities of existence"

Late 24th century.

Following on from contact with the Q, mankind's discoveries lead to the eventual realisation of a spiritual component to the physical body. This series explores that and the incredible, mind expanding idea of planets and solar systems being conscious beings intertwined in a cosmic web.

This is the first unique idea I've heard in 12 years. I love it.

maharg

idspispopd
Cancel the new Star Trek Series Petition

A friend sent me this pretty genius bit of satire. I have to say, Cogley makes some good points.

Also, we demand quality. Star Trek has a long history of impeccable drama and story-telling. We will accept nothing less than stories about things like: the captain’s dog pissing on a tree, a crew member’s brain being removed to manage an entire planet while his body walks around by remote control, the annoying alien cook accidentally jamming up the warp engines with cheese, intergalactic hopscotch, falling into the bushes and being sentenced to death by half-naked people, going faster than Warp 10 and turning into lizards, etc. The bar has been set very high, and we are not going to let you fuck it up.

And what’s up with charging us 6 bucks a month?

We Star Trek fans are not used to being gouged for money by corporate money-grubbers, by selling us the same DVD ten times over, for example, or an Enterprise shaped cheese-cutting board, or the aforementioned shitty jewelry. We won’t stand for it.

This is my favourite part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom