• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking at The Hollywood Reporter:

Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek may be returning to the small screen.

Prolific producers Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A formal announcement with additional details is expected to come later this morning.

The drama is set up at CBS Television Studios, where Kurtzman and Orci's K/O Paper Products banner is under an overall deal. A search is under way for a writer to take on the cult hit. A network is not yet attached but the goal is for the potential series to be on the air late next fall on either cable or a streaming service, sources say. Should a new Star Trek series come together for next fall, it would air as the franchise is poised to celebrate its 50th anniversary as the original series debuted Sept. 8, 1966.

I'd be more worried about Orci and Kurtzmann but it seems like they won't be running the show in any capacity (and it seems like Paramount is kind of purposefully keeping them away from stuff like that these days).

I'm going to guess this will be in the new continuity as well. Could this be The Next Generation: The Next Generation?

MOD EDIT:

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Sephzilla

Really curious if this will take place in the original timeline or the JJverse. I like the JJ movies but the original timeline just seems more interesting to me, especially in a post Nemesis world where Romulus is gone. Real talk - I just want Enterprise Season 5. That show got cancelled just as it started to get really good.

Fuchsdh

Please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck.

It's like my Jurassic World chant except x10.

As long as Orci and Kurtzman are kept away from the actual nuts and bolts of the series, it has a chance.

A shame if they abandon all the continuity and threads they could use in the Prime universe, but depending on the setting the rebooted universe might make more sense too.

Really curious if this will take place in the original timeline or the JJverse. I like the JJ movies but the original timeline just seems more interesting to me, especially in a post Nemesis world where Romulus is gone. Real talk - I just want Enterprise Season 5. That show got cancelled just as it started to get really good.

Yeah, I agree. The universe went through some massive changes, and the idea of how the Federation survives and evolves after a war that nearly led to its destruction would have also been interesting.

It's like my Jurassic World chant except x10.

As long as Orci and Kurtzman are kept away from the actual nuts and bolts of the series, it has a chance.

A shame if they abandon all the continuity and threads they could use in the Prime universe, but depending on the setting the rebooted universe might make more sense too.

It seems like a no brainer that they could use the new movie timeline and then pull in the Prime universe for special episodes like the Mirror Universe.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I agree. The universe went through some massive changes, and the idea of how the Federation survives and evolves after a war that nearly led to its destruction would have also been interesting.

Yeah, we really never got to see much in terms of fallout from the Dominion War since Voyager took place in the Delta Quadrant and the TNG movies went off and did their own thing. Considering the Dominion War nearly destroyed the Federation and the Romulan Empire was crippled due to the loss of Romulus, the whole prime universe is ripe for some really interesting new stories.

Busty

Banned
Reading between the lines I wonder what this means for Paramount. Considering that CBS ultimately owns the rights to Star Trek they obviously don't see the value of Abrams' film series anymore and want to do their own thing.

And in case anyone wonders whether the two will be connected, they won't. Perhaps they think (as many others do) that Paramount could be sold in the next couple years (along with the rest of Viacom) and they want to make sure that the Trek rights don't 'go' with them.

HUELEN10

I want an updated version of the Nebula Class. It was a personal favorite.

You know... Since last we spoke, it's grown on me.

trjDifs.jpg

crW1gZZ.jpg

I1WGatZ.jpg

Still am a huge Newton-Type fan though. Personal fav still.

Jarmel

Banned
Prolific producers Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV,

lol nope

I'll wait for reviews or semi-capable staff before even beginning to get hyped for this.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Please be true and please don't suck. Please be true and please don't suck. Please be true and please don't suck.

(And please be more TNG than TOS)

If Orci and Kurtzman have their names attached in any way, shape or form my expectations will be at zero until it actually proves me wrong.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm not sure where else there is to go in the Trek universe...the episodic TNG explored a lot of interesting ideas, DS9 had some great arcs, but how do you top total war with the Dominion? You'd have to go real dark ala Year of Hell from VOY, or go back to being episodic sci fi IMO. Either that or you're going to get some teenage romantic drama in the academy.

HUELEN10

I'm blasting Enterprising Young Men on every speaker in my house right now.

If Orci and Kurtzman have their names attached in any way, shape or form my expectations will be at zero until it actually proves me wrong.
They did prove people wrong.

Twice already.

Makai

JJ-verse is a good idea. I also want to see the Universe Class:

UniverseClass_USS_Enterprise01.jpg

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom