• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony 2022 TVs reveal on January 4 2022

kyliethicc

2022 Sony Bravia XR TV Lineup

8K Mini LED Z9K Master Series
75" / 85"

4K OLED A95K Master Series
55" / 65"

4K OLED A90K Master Series
42" / 48"

4K OLED A80K
55" / 65" / 77"

4K OLED A75K
55" / 65"

4K Mini LED X95K
65" / 75" / 85"

4K Full Array LED X90K
55" / 65" / 75" / 85"

V5YurYS.jpg

Press release:

Article write ups:

"All 2022 Sony TVs will ship with variable refresh rate enabled, rather than relying on software updates to add the feature later."

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Regarding QD OLED, I already knew about the increased color volume benefit, but does anyone know if there's more recent info about the effective nits output? AFAIK in theory QD OLED "can handle" up to 4000 nits without washing out the colors, but what's the latest news about how much operational brightness QD OLED can output at this time (meaning 2022)?

I guess it's all moot for "normal" people anyway since it seems unlikely this will go for much under 10 000 dollars in the first round, lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This might be the year I upgrade, if all the HDMI 2.1 stuff is there and working flawlessly and input lag is low.

Currently using a 55" XE9305 (X930E) from 2017. Good LCD, but that OLED itch is getting stronger.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

This might be the year I upgrade, if all the HDMI 2.1 stuff is there and working flawlessly and input lag is low.

Currently using a 55" XE9305 (X930E) from 2017. Good LCD, but that OLED itch is getting stronger.
Here before the anti-OLED crowd comes in to tell you why you're wrong.

kyliethicc

Yup its all going OLED soon. We're at the point now where the companies can make 4K OLEDs relatively cheap enough to be affordable for many people, and have minimized burn-in risk enough that most people don't care. Even if the TV only lasts 5 years, the manufacturers don't care. They'd love to sell more TVs. Plus people don't seem to care about that risk when the picture quality is so damn impressive.

Like my brother just got a 65" LG C1 OLED and he's amazed how good it looks, coming from a 1080p SDR LCD.

Even Samsung is shifting to OLEDs. iPhones are all OLED now, even the Switch lol.

I wonder of they’ll fix the VRR patch and the other broken promises before these hit retail.
They probably fucked up on a hardware level on those.

At some point new models won't suck at it, older models still will keep the limitations.
Yup its all going OLED soon. We're at the point now where the companies can make 4K OLEDs relatively cheap enough to be affordable for many people, and have minimized burn-in risk enough that most people don't care.
I don't look forward to it. At all. Burn-in was not that minimized. Not as much as full screen brightness which was the original selling point anyway.

Good looking tech, but not the right tech (for games and PC), no matter how they try to spin it.

Even if the TV only lasts 5 years, the manufacturers don't care. They'd love to sell more TVs. Plus people don't seem to care about that risk when the picture quality is so damn impressive.
Rich people, sure.

I don't like to think I'm buying something on a countdown to be irreparable trash in 5 years.

But that's also not the only problem about OLED.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Oh look the liars are back! but hopefully they don't shit the bed this year w/ features and bring the pricing down a bit

My Sony Bravia from 2010 is on its last leg the XrossMediaBar was jumping around like it was possessed the other day

I really don't want to get an LG but I'll be forced to if sony doesn't come correct this year I'd rather not have a TV at all than buy a Samsung again

ParaSeoul

Oh look the liars are back! but hopefully they don't shit the bed this year w/ features and bring the pricing down a bit

My Sony Bravia from 2010 is on its last leg the XrossMediaBar was jumping around like it was possessed the other day

I really don't want to get an LG but I'll be forced to if sony doesn't come correct this year I'd rather not have a TV at all than buy a Samsung again
Whats with the Korean brand hate?

because LG and Samsung have huge fail rates, are actually often more expensive per inch (specially when you get to good image quality without panel lottery), and have worse image processing (specially LG at that).

Those are the brands I actively avoid, everything I ever bought from them either failed or was crap.

Sony's prices of late are not that bad, they should get some healthy sales even without VRR. Unsure, that they are getting them though.
My Sony Bravia from 2010 is on its last leg the XrossMediaBar was jumping around like it was possessed the other day.
Probably/possibly undervoltage. Your power supply might be faltering, that's fixable. Again, it's something that fails a lot on LG and Samsung, and in way less than 10 years time.

If I was you I would film it and pre-emptively send it for repair. I have one of those still, a 40NX800, it's still good.
Whats with the Korean brand hate?
It's not hate. LG might have the all the patents to produce every W-OLED panel out there, but that doesn't mean their TV's are good, or that the tech couldn't be better if it was on more manufacturer hands. In a word, their image processing is poor, you only get away with it if the source is good which, fortunately is something we're getting to more often.

Samsung constantly lies and makes their specs appear better than they really are.

Fake FALD for the longest time, for instance. Calling LCD FALD QLED... Sony is a saint next to them.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Hmm very interesting - would like to see how their gonna bump up the brightness and also VRR will be crucial here (If they ship without it, that's a big red flag to me)

Elios83

I'm interested in the QD-OLED technology, let's see the prices and if there are some drawbacks due to being the first gen of its kind.

kyliethicc

They probably fucked up on a hardware level on those.

At some point new models won't suck at it, older models still will keep the limitations.

I don't look forward to it. At all. Burn-in was not that minimized. Not as much as full screen brightness which was the original selling point anyway.

Good looking tech, but not the right tech (for games and PC), no matter how they try to spin it.

Rich people, sure.

I don't like to think I'm buying something on a countdown to be irreparable trash in 5 years.

But that's also not the only problem about OLED.
Oh for sure there's some issues with OLED still, especially for hardcore gamers.

But I doubt Sony/LG/Samsung care.

And for those who only want an LCD TV, there's always gonna be some option(s).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Even Sony knows OLED is the best. Looking forward to vrr and hdmi 2.1 on all inputs. Might push Sony to unlock vrr on the ps5.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like a interesting move.
I was in love with A90J but have to take home a LG CX due Sony TVs not being in my country.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh for sure there's some issues with OLED still, especially for hardcore gamers.

What issues exactly?

OLED is rated the best TV for games in every place you look for.

Imagine the best tech for games not being right for it lol
How to take you comment serious?

Last edited:

The way the market works, if that's so, the quality for IPS/VA panels and FALD solutions will drop off a cliff from the moment they want to sell OLED's instead. It's probably already happening to some extent this year.

1080p TV sets dropped in quality (no more 240 hz panels, no FALD) the moment they decided to sell 4K sets. They'll keep the cheap LCD panels and make them edge lit, not an indicative of the best the tech can do, but cheaper. as saying that if LCD wasn't cheap it wouldn't exist today still.

But OLED is stopgap until Mini-LED and Micro-LED come along.

Time will tell whether LG will cling onto OLED or capitulate, same for Samsung with QD-OLED (probably similar to LG's W-OLED).

For gaming and PC's, I'm betting on Mini-LED myself. It's probably going to be considered inferior to the others though seeing it's still LCD.

kyliethicc

The way the market works, if that's so, the quality for IPS/VA panels and FALD solutions will drop off a cliff from the moment they want to sell OLED's instead. It's probably already happening to some extent this year.

1080p TV sets dropped in quality (no more 240 hz panels, no FALD) the moment they decided to sell 4K sets. They'll keep the cheap LCD panels and make them edge lit, not an indicative of the best the tech can do, but cheaper. as saying that if LCD wasn't cheap it wouldn't exist today still.

Time will tell whether LG will cling onto OLED or capitulate, same for Samsung with QD-OLED (probably similar to LG's W-OLED).

For gaming and PC's, I'm betting on Mini-LED myself. It's probably going to be considered inferior to the others though seeing it's still LCD.
The main issue with LCD now for Samsung, LG, and Sony is cheaper Chinese brands, like Hisense, can now afford to deliver very similar quality LCD TVs for a lower price. They're now being undercut.

So the big 3 brands (Samsung, LG, Sony) are pivoting to focus on more expensive panels: OLED and Mini-LED. Lets them keep their prices higher for now. Tho Hisense are trying to move to Mini-LED too.

But like Sony especially focuses on selling premium TVs for premium prices. So OLED is the obvious path for them right now.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This new tv works great with ps5 right

Already have oled tv since 2018 and still happy with it so wont be buying new tv anytime soon

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

How far away are those technologies from being in reasonably priced consumer TVs (by which I mean around current OLED prices)? Is OLED on the way out already, or are we talking 5+ more years? If I have a really good LCD now, should I skip OLED and wait for that stuff? I don't necessarily NEED TO upgrade in 2022, but I don't want to wait a lot longer than that.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I just want something bright, didn’t realize how far behind OLED is on brightness until just recently. I love my Bravia XE9305 but it has started to power off by itself for no reason and no VRR is starting to piss me off.

Lognor

Banned
When would these likely be released? Q1 of 2022?

And what are the odds VRR and ALLM come on it out of the box? I will never trust Sony with features they claim will come via a firmware update.

Matt_Fox

I just want something bright, didn’t realize how far behind OLED is on brightness until just recently. I love my Bravia XE9305 but it has started to power off by itself for no reason and no VRR is starting to piss me off.

It's true that once you've got used to a good quality QLED then OLED seems rather underwhelming in this regard, dull and lifeless.

I'd wait and see though, 6th - 9th Jan is CES when all the 2022 TVs get revealed and it looks like we're moving towards sets that will boast the best of both worlds.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Reading people minimizing / being optimistic about Sony’s pricing never fails to get a laugh from me :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Their OLEDs are always at least a half grand more than their direct competitors, and their LEDs only aren’t because there’s so much stuff on the market that they usually drop in price within a couple of months. Their build quality and design on LEDs are far from premium, too.

That said, I wish I could see movies and games run on high-tier Sony TVs. At least to see with my own eyes if their quality is worth the premium.

Fredrik

OLEDS also have issues with black crush.

How biased is that video though? The LG CX looked like contrast was set to max in that video.

It's true that once you've got used to a good quality QLED then OLED seems rather underwhelming in this regard, dull and lifeless.

I'd wait and see though, 6th - 9th Jan is CES when all the 2022 TVs get revealed and it looks like we're moving towards sets that will boast the best of both worlds.
Yeah I learned that from another thread, QLED is probably more my thing coming from the Sony XE9305 which is like looking into the sun itself, but I’ll check out what’s shown at CES before buying anything.
How is QNED? The LG Mini LED panels iirc. Are they in between OLED and QLED in brightness?

Mister Wolf

How biased is that video though? The LG CX looked like contrast was set to max in that video.

Yeah I learned that from another thread, QLED is probably more my thing coming from the Sony XE9305 which is like looking into the sun itself, but I’ll check out what’s shown at CES before buying anything.
How is QNED? The LG Mini LED panels iirc. Are they in between OLED and QLED in brightness?

Type in OLED black crush in youtube and watch other videos.

Lognor

Banned
They'll probably start shipping in March/April, depends on the model. Some will be later.
Thx. This cycle never ends. I've pulled the trigger 3 times on the c1 and canceled my order each time. Then I ordered and canceled an order on the a80j. Now maybe I should just wait for March. Lol. It never ends

Notabueno

Banned
Does someone work in the TV manufacture industry and can tell me WHY OH WHY do these dumb fucks never evolved to 21st century marketing and continue to make shit tons of different irrelevant models with line-up that last between 1 and 3 years, that the vast majority of people don't give a shit about even when they might want a screen?

We have crazy consumer technology segments like smartphones, tablets, laptop and PC that can do 1000x more things than a TV, integrate a screen amongst other shit tons of other hardware technologies, there's 4/5 times more brands and yet they all get basic marketing down to try and not fragment, identify and differentiate their product lines as best as they can, while TV/Screen can't do shit besides being big media screens that are always missing shit tons of functionalities (when there's hdmi2.1, there's no VRR, when there's wifi there's no bluetooth or screencast, when it's 30" it doesn't have 4K etc...), are sluggish as hell and they continue to have 50 barely different models every year that are never what anyone wants no matter what budget....

Top Bottom