• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic Team Game - Official Teaser Trailer

IKSTUGA

There hasn't been a decent 3D Sonic game in over 10 years. I dunno what happened, seemed like they had their shit together at the time of Generations and Colors. Hopefully they won't fuck this new project up.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Lmao no. Mania is the best Sonic product since Sonic & Knuckles 3. Everything after it is trash.
I think you're both correct. Mania is the best Sonic game probably ever but I have a hard time saying that with a full heart because it is half a new game and half a remaster. I do think people oversell it when they say it's the best thing ever based on that.

I understand completely that that's what they needed to do in Sonic Mania 1 when they were making the game.

However I would like to see a sequel with completely new levels and perhaps some new innovations as well.

mcjmetroid

I would say that most of the games made by Sonic Team were at least good games.
No.. those are the worst ones with a think the exception of Sonic Boom. Sonic would be in a better position today if Sega fired the entirety of Sonic Team.

It's like Pokemon with Gamefreak but at least Pokemon games are mostly solid.

SomeGit

I think you're both correct. Mania is the best Sonic game probably ever but I have a hard time saying that with a full heart because it is half a new game and half a remaster. I do think people oversell it when they say it's the best thing ever based on that.

I understand completely that that's what they needed to do in Sonic Mania 1 when they were making the game.

However I would like to see a sequel with completely new levels and perhaps some new innovations as well.
The great thing about Mania is that the actual "remaster" part of it would be the hardest thing to botch, level themes and music other Sonic games over the year have at the very least made good level themes and music. The actual level design and flow is what Sonic Team usually sucks at, yet in Mania it's the strongest part of the game and it's not a copy paste from the old levels

Mania panders a lot, but if you remove that pandering you are still left with by far the strongest Sonic game since 1994. It's far more original that what the reused level themes lead you to believe since it rarely uses more than a couple of set pieces from them.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Adventure is good if you play on dreamcast, every other version is buggy garbage.
Sonic Adventure 2 is objectively good, that's not really up to debate.
There is no debate with people spreading their rage against Sonic in every single topic. There don't play Sonic games. They just hate and have nothing better to do.

Obviously, people who like the franchise have been playing the games and having fun. Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World, Forces were all fun games, and at the very least, good games.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Adventure is good if you play on dreamcast, every other version is buggy garbage.
Man, SA2 is not good 😂😂.

The only reason SA1 was fun at times is bc DC launch title. After there were other games u never touch it again, its trash.

MMaRsu

Banned
There is no debate with people spreading their rage against Sonic in every single topic. There don't play Sonic games. They just hate and have nothing better to do.

Obviously, people who like the franchise have been playing the games and having fun. Unleashed, Colors, Lost World, Forces were all fun games, and at the very least, good games.
Ive played most if not all Sonic games, except the 3d ones because they are just horrible horrible games.

MMaRsu

Banned
Maybe that these games are not for you, and you should move on to something else.

I don't like 3D Mario or Zelda, and I don't go into every single thread about these games to complain. They are not for me, that's it.

Right. Those are objectively good games. Sonic 3d games all review like shit, look like shit, have shit storylines and shit voice acting. Not to mention shit physics. You cant say none of that about Mario or Zelda. Even if you dont like them they are quality games.

Its like im arguiing with fanboys here

Miles708

Right. Those are objectively good games. Sonic 3d games all review like shit, look like shit, have shit storylines and shit voice acting. Not to mention shit physics. You cant say none of that about Mario or Zelda. Even if you dont like them they are quality games.

Its like im arguiing with fanboys here

Dude.

Astral Dog

No.. those are the worst ones with a think the exception of Sonic Boom. Sonic would be in a better position today if Sega fired the entirety of Sonic Team.

It's like Pokemon with Gamefreak but at least Pokemon games are mostly solid.
GameFreak at least makes cheap rpg games that always sell millions and get good/ok reviews consistently, they are a treasure compared to Sonic Team nobody would ever think of firing them 😳

Sonic Team is, huh not consistent at all though they are capable of making a solid memorable game under the right conditions(but never acclaimed so far)

Kokoloko85

I mean fine if u guys wanna pretend they good games, they aint.

Your coming into a thread to talk shit on sonic games to a bunch of sonic Fans.
What do you expect?

Sonic haters love to make a big deal out of how there not good games. Its like there stuck in the Mario vs Sonic times lol
The classic sonics were fun and I lovedSA2 and SA1 is pretty fun

Lmao no. Mania is the best Sonic product since Sonic & Knuckles 3. Everything after it is trash.
they didn't even show gameplay. but you will hate it only because it's in 3D
guys the 3D games aren''t that bad give them a chance.
nostalgia classic sonic tards are just as bad as pokemon genwunners if not worse.
>it's like im arguing to a bunch of fanboys
no shit, your talking shit about sonic ina sonic thread to a bunch of sonic fans.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Get a good established team. Didnt one of the Yakuza guys say he would like to work on a sonic game. I trust them more
Well, tbh there aren't many developers out there that know how to make well designed 3D platforming games, even Nintendo mostly sticks to 3D Mario and the rest are 2D platformers.

The last time a big publisher tried to release a 3D platformer was Balan Wonderland 😳

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Wow I wonder if this one will be shit just like all the other ones.

Thay was rhetorical because the answer is obviously yes.

it seems there are couple more leaks coming from 4Chan and Twitter about the next sonic game

E2bYypEWEAQ1qBZ.jpg:large

Open world + Sonic Unleashed style levels? wtf that is actually a good decision. Just make attacking enemies more complex than button mashing and you will actually have a good game. Sonic running up and down mountains and hills and running over water, or running through underground tunnels, man the open world potential is incredible. If they do it right its going to feel fun like traversing the world in Spiderman by slinging around in the air.

I always wondered why Sonic unleashed has such good user review scores on Metacritic but awful critic scores. I mean I understand gamers liked it because its fun except for the Werehog crap, but I dont understand why the critics didnt like it.

Miles708

I always wondered why Sonic unleashed has such good user review scores on Metacritic but awful critic scores. I mean I understand gamers liked it because its fun except for the Werehog crap, but I dont understand why the critics didnt like it.

As I said many times, history is finally redeeming Sonic Unleashed, which was crished from critics as they (as it happens too often) were too engulfed in the general sentiment towards the franchise. I mean, the memories of Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 06 were still fresh, so there's a reason, but still.

From either technical, artistic, gameplay and musical point of view, Sonic Unleashed is genuinely great.

I agree with your point toward free-roam being a good call. That's something the series has been chasing since Sonic 2006. Anyone remember the first screenshot they showed way back in 2005? Well here it is:

sonic-2006-tgs-2005-theme-discovered-sonic-retro-sonicretro-org_977523.jpg

THAT'S what we should be getting already.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Scientists should look into why the Sonic franchise causes massive memory loss and potential Alzheimer's after every game release.

chigstoke

I went back to play Adventure last year on DC after having to play DX for God knows how long.

Aside from the frame rate initially being jarring, it's by far the superior version of the game.

Need to get a HDMI solution again and hook the DC back up to play some.

cireza

Banned
Sonic 3d games all review like shit, look like shit, have shit storylines and shit voice acting.
Well that's not the case. They have pretty good reviews, as well as reviews from buyers on sites like amazon. They have good storyline for kids and teens. Voice acting sounds spot on to me, and they also look very good.

Stop embarrassing yourself like this.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of like how Mario ended up with normal people in a city? Nahhh man
Humans have been in the original Sonic 90s comics and tv shows so they've been there since almost the beginning.

But honestly, your concern is odd anyway since there haven't been human characters in the past 8 Sonic games(over a decade). The last known human characters aside from Robotnik were in Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Black Knight(both 2009 games).

mcjmetroid

So all 3D games are shit but the only one you played is Adventure 2.

You look like the average guy that comes raging inside Sonic threads indeed. Awesome contribution, thanks a lot.
Out of the two adventure games I've played 2 not 1 that's all I meant there..

Not sure where this anger comes from. I haven't played sonic boom or sonic forces.. do I need to?

I've played other ones:
Sonic and the secret rings: garbage
Sonic unleashed: great looking game great art style. It's not bad but too rollercoastery for my liking.
Sonic Heroes: not terrible but a step in the wrong direction.

I really enjoy the kart racing sonic games.

Sonic adventure 2 is the best 3D one I've played and that has problems but it was going in the right direction. It had fast gameplay but also had platforming that made you stop and think. With a little more polish they could have made the series consistent.
But they changed up the formula and released Sonic Heroes and gave been doing this since.

I say this as a person who really liked Sonic mania and the classic sonic games.

Sonic needs an overhaul. With the success of the movies it's time to put money and time into sonic.

SonicJams

Thought it was another boost game. Delighted to see this. Great to see Sega try something ambitious and hopefully give sonic full 3d movement again! The boost games were boring.

Last edited:
at this point, it's obvious this RyuCookingRice guy is a troll. who else comes to a thread about a series they don't like, and shit on it? specially if it's a series as infamous as Sonic?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
at this point, it's obvious this RyuCookingRice guy is a troll. who else comes to a thread about a series they don't like, and shit on it? specially if it's a series as infamous as Sonic?
Don't let it get to you, multiple people of this forum do it all the time. It's a lot like hate-watching a movie or TV show/ a lot like wrestling fans.

At the end of the day, they're still an extra click, a view, and a thread bump.

Top Bottom