• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 30th Anniversary details leaked by credible Nintendo leaker Zippo

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good old YouTube, the Irony. You wouldn't get past the 1st Avtar stage trying that. YouTube can also beat Mario 64 with one hand too, but never mind

You really bought Sonic Forces?. The boost gameplay is broken up too much that title, never mind the many 2D sections in Generations

Yeah I don't remember not playing a Sonic game on PS. I didn't like them all, honestly.

Yeah I don't remember not playing a Sonic game on PS. I didn't like them all, honestly.
I don't mind if you bought them and don't like them. It just sounds like you never played much of Sonic Forces since the Boast gameplay was cut a fair bit in for the nice but not that amazing Avtar stages

>Every level.
>Posts video of one.

Most of the Modern Sonic stages are about "gotta go fast!", yeah. I remain that it's not a terrible game, though. Needs help, yes, but not terrible. A hair less good than Generations with a couple quality of life changes.
Yep and spot on. The clue is the title of the game. Its called SONIC for a reason LOL

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't mind if you bought them and don't like them. It just sounds like you never played much of Sonic Forces since the Boast gameplay was cut a fair bit in for the nice but not that amazing Avtar stages

I actually have the green hill zone soundtrack on my car. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Also personal preference. At this age after like around 32 years of gaming, I would play kiddo game if it was like Ratchet and Clank or the new Biomutant and the likes. Something more dense and mature, the next step in my personal preference.

Unknown?

I actually have the green hill zone soundtrack on my car. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Also personal preference. At this age after like around 32 years of gaming, I would play kiddo game if it was like Ratchet and Clank or the new Biomutant and the likes. Something more dense and mature, the next step in my personal preference.
So you'd love a Shadow the Hedgehog 2. XD

Saber

Gold Member
This is wishful thinking. The franchise is perfectly healthy, sorry to disappoint you.

In terms of brand, Sonic is aways fine.

In terms of games? You have to be pretty stupid to think its all fine. Mania is the last good effort, and came from Taxman. The rest is either low effort or "go with the trend" types of game that never appeared in any chart.

Forces sold well despite being a bad Generations reskin. The brand is strong.
They just need strong games.

I don't buy this whole "Sonic should stay 2D" shit either. Just because an outstanding 3D game hasn't yet been made, doesn't mean it's impossible. If you took the basic premise of Sonic Adventure and refined it, it would work just fine. It's just not really been done.
Generations was a good game despite being obviously limited by being a boost game

Also even worse is the historical revisionism that "Sonic was never good".

Sonic ≠ Mario and that's fine. The type of gameplay and fundamental movement paradigm is entire different. Mario is about efficient jumping, Sonic is about pace and flow.

I have a Mario keyring to the house, but I won't claim to be Mario's big fan. I guess that's also why I'm no fan of Nintendo these days since I'm an adult and don't like 'kiddo' games.
Maybe your next step should be not to post in Sonic threads since you've out grown the little Blue Hedgehog :p

cireza

Banned
Enlighten me. Show me how well Forces have being doing. Or Team Sonic Racing. Or even Boom.
Enlighten me. Show me how bad these games have been doing. You get the point ?

2018 : 800 millions Sonic games sold

2020 : 1.14 billion Sonic games sold

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have a Mario keyring to the house, but I won't claim to be Mario's big fan. I guess that's also why I'm no fan of Nintendo these days since I'm an adult and don't like 'kiddo' games.
Maybe your next step should be not to post in Sonic threads since you've out grown the little Blue Hedgehog :p

Those "kiddo" games always give you some nice feelings. Yes I like gore, violence in games but those games always are great to have a break and enjoy their light-hearted "violence" from time to time. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Saber

Gold Member
Enlighten me. Show me how bad these games have been doing. You get the point ?

2018 : 800 millions Sonic games sold

2020 : 1.14 billion Sonic games sold

Stop being smartass to make the context fit your twisted thinking. This number is for the total sales of all Sonic games, which includes bad and good ones.

In no fucking way this proves Forces, Boom or Team Sonic Racing sold well. They're all being carried away by other Sonic games(including old ass ones), you could at least read the article you posted.

Last edited:

Fake

This is wishful thinking. The franchise is perfectly healthy, sorry to disappoint you.

Movie? yes. Sonic the Movie was great.
Gaming? not so much. You need to get out of the bubble sometimes.

I know is hard to be a Sonic fan in a world where Sonic Team can make shit games like Forces, Boom and Lost World. I sorry for you, as a Sonic fan myself. You have my empathy.

cireza

Banned
Stop being smartass to make the context fit your twisted thinking. This number is for the total sales of all Sonic games, which includes bad and good ones.

In no fucking way this proves Forces, Boom or Team Sonic Racing sold well. They're all being carried away by other Sonic games(including old ass ones), you could at least read the article you posted.
Stop raging like this, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Recent Sonic games are the ones that have been driving sales, and these are Sonic Mania, Team Sonic Racing and Sonic Forces. Maybe check the financial results from Sega Sammy and try to make some decent opinion about it, as there isn't any more direct source you can get. They release them every quarter.

A game like Team Sonic Racing managed to get back in the top 10 in UK more than a year after its release. Sonic games have always been long sellers.

Saber

Gold Member
Stop raging like this, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Recent Sonic games are the ones that have been driving sales, and these are Sonic Mania, Team Sonic Racing and Sonic Forces. Maybe check the financial results from Sega Sammy and try to make some decent opinion about it, as there isn't any more direct source you can get. They release them every quarter.

Then read the things you posted. Even the article says its total of all Sonic games, not only the new ones. You're simply twisting information to fit your narrative. If you think this is a win situation you're losing your time, I'm not here to wasting my time reading total sales of all Sonic games.

Saber

Gold Member
We get it that reading positive things about Sonic is a waste of time for you, and that shitting on the series is time well spent.

I knew that talking to you was a waste of time since its not your first time twisting and fit your context behaviour.
Anyway, I feel likes its only a matter of time before they announce their next main game. I'm all for Generations and Colors, like some other leaks suggested(August I think).

Last edited:

yewles1

No more classic Sonic plus another 2D modern Sonic by Dimps...

im out bbc two GIF by BBC

Last edited:
No more classic Sonic plus another 2D modern Sonic by Dimps...

im out bbc two GIF by BBC
Dimps isn't that bad, their only bad game was Sonic 4 Episode 1, but the Advance trilogy and Rush were great, but people like to pretend it never existed becuase sonic 4 was just the bad one.
and even then we don't know if it's even going to be another studio. or if this leak is even true at all. wich i highly doubt.

Last edited:
Those "kiddo" games always give you some nice feelings. Yes I like gore, violence in games but those games always are great to have a break and enjoy their light-hearted "violence" from time to time. :messenger_winking_tongue:
You also seem to like posting in threads relating to a game you claim to no longer like and outgrown. Very grown up, I must say.

cireza

Banned
I knew that talking to you was a waste of time since its not your first time twisting and fit your context behaviour.
That's actually you. Claiming the games did not sell without a single source to backup your claim.

I am telling you that everything points at these games doing well :
Huge number of positive reviews on websites like Amazon, implying good sales numbers
Huge number of views for the games on YouTube
Team Sonic Racing top charts a year later in UK
SEGA saying that Forces performed strongly
Quarterly financial results that have charts and shows the Sonic games being part of the millions sales they do

All these elements are easily verifiable on the internet. The only single thing you say, that the games did not sell well, is impossible to verify anywhere.

You will come to accept that you don't like these games, but others do because they are the target audience, and that yes, they sold well.

Saber

Gold Member
Dimps isn't that bad, their only bad game was Sonic 4 Episode 1, but the Advance trilogy and Rush were great, but people like to pretend it never existed becuase sonic 4 was just the bad one.
and even then we don't know if it's even going to be another studio. or if this leak is even true at all. wich i highly doubt.

Can't say they're that good either. The closer they get to a gameplay with the classic ones was the first advance. The rest were more boost like games, with Adv2 and 3 being basically the starting idea of boost even though they weren't a boost mechanic.
Also, level design is questinoable.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You also seem to like posting in threads relating to a game you claim to no longer like and outgrown. Very grown up, I must say.

I loved Astro's Playroom, I loved Sackboy: Big Adventure, I loved all LittleBigPlanet games, can't wait for the sequels. Sonic has been mediocre to me and out of touch since decades now, unlike Mario or even Crash under Activision.

And yes, the game must be good enough to interest me because the older you get the more "you've seen it all" you become.

Last edited:

chigstoke

Forces sold well despite being a bad Generations reskin. The brand is strong.
They just need strong games.

I don't buy this whole "Sonic should stay 2D" shit either. Just because an outstanding 3D game hasn't yet been made, doesn't mean it's impossible. If you took the basic premise of Sonic Adventure and refined it, it would work just fine. It's just not really been done.
Generations was a good game despite being obviously limited by being a boost game

Also even worse is the historical revisionism that "Sonic was never good".

Sonic ≠ Mario and that's fine. The type of gameplay and fundamental movement paradigm is entire different. Mario is about efficient jumping, Sonic is about pace and flow.
Basically this post.

The brand name alone is still big. As big as Mario? Of course it isn't, not now but nevertheless, it's still big.

Sonic 06 no doubt put the shitters up them in attempting another Adventure formula game somewhat. I hate that because I'd kill for a refined Adventure 3 or remake of 1+2.

There is room for 2D and 3D Sonic games. Mania was excellent. Forces failed to innovate as it should've done over Generations which gave Mania a bigger spotlight, but SEGA were supposedly happy with the sales figures, and was succesful on PS+.

Sonic was shit hot and it still can be, but it needs a lot of working doing to the franchise.

In short, give me Adventure 3 and 1+2 remakes you cowards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

yewles1

I loved Astro's Playroom, I loved Sackboy: Big Adventure, I loved all LittleBigPlanet games, can't wait for the sequels. Sonic has been mediocre to me and out of touch since decades now, unlike Mario or even Crash under Activision.

And yes, the game must be good enough to interest me because the older you get the more "you've seen it all" you become.
You mean "jaded..."

JSoup

Banned
You mean "jaded..."

I MEAN.
It's very hipster-ish to say, but if you've been consuming a particular kind of media long enough and at a high volume, you eventually start to see patterns. Enough patterns can lead to the feeling of 'seen it all'. And you're either fine with that or you're not. I can think of a few series that I know for a fact aren't going to reinvent the wheel, but I'll still buy because I enjoy it none the less.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You mean "jaded..."

Exactly! Thanks for adding more words to my vocabulary!

I MEAN.
It's very hipster-ish to say, but if you've been consuming a particular kind of media long enough and at a high volume, you eventually start to see patterns. Enough patterns can lead to the feeling of 'seen it all'. And you're either fine with that or you're not. I can think of a few series that I know for a fact aren't going to reinvent the wheel, but I'll still buy because I enjoy it none the less.

I still play a lot of games though, but playing games that are using outdated patterns doesn't excite me anymore, like Streets of Rage 4 (maybe beaten those games more than 100+ times back in the day).

Last edited:

Not mediocre enough for you to post in Sonic threads. Keep on trolling...

I would play kiddo game if it was like Ratchet and Clank or the new Biomutant and the likes. Something more dense and mature, the next step in my personal preference.
for Sonic games, i would recommend Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 if you want to see something like that in a sonic game
Can't say they're that good either. The closer they get to a gameplay with the classic ones was the first advance. The rest were more boost like games, with Adv2 and 3 being basically the starting idea of boost even though they weren't a boost mechanic.
Also, level design is questinoable.
true, but even then they are still a good time, and i still preffer the level design in those games over the level design in say... CD. i also think stuff like the tricks or the pseudo-boost were pretty good ideas and id love seeing them back.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Source?

And don't use the 'all Sonic games sales' argument because thats don't mean shit.

Sega has been pretty mum on the specific number, only stating that if you combine the sales of all three big titles from them that year, sales were around 14.3 million copies.

I know VGCharts isn't the most reliable of sources, but they've got some estimates from release week:

LRKD

This take reminds me of the guys that says the whole series sucks because he forgot to curl in Sonic 1 and was hit by one enemy.
What take? I just posted a video of a level in the game, and said the game sucks. I never said why, why do you think I hate sonic colors?

Fake

Sega has been pretty mum on the specific number, only stating that if you combine the sales of all three big titles from them that year, sales were around 14.3 million copies.

I know VGCharts isn't the most reliable of sources, but they've got some estimates from release week:

Dude, are you serious telling me that 234,00 is a 'pretty good number' for a Sonic Franchise? For real?
Sonic Forces got a pretty loud install base to cover (PC/XBX/PS4/Switch), for a multiplataform game including the fact Sonic is a worldwide famous character, this is pretty low for his standarts.

And yes, VGCharts are not reliable source. Again, SEGA started to follow the same route as Microsoft to not give sales figures, unless the game is utter acclaimed.

Top Bottom