• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 30th Anniversary details leaked by credible Nintendo leaker Zippo

Miles708

2022 :messenger_confounded:

lisa simpson episode 20 GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To be fair, it's a harder concept to translate to 3D than Mario. With World and Yoshi's Island, Mario was already set as an exploration based platformer, so that makes it easier to do a 3D game. Sonic main thing was speedy gameplay and that translates poorly to 3D because you can't control the fucker.

They should learn from Rayman Legends then, it's like the Sonic successor. Get it back to 2D.

Yeah, sorry this one is a total overreaction. They were fine in Colors, if these were a problem in Forces then point the finger to the real problem (shoved in Original The Character).

And sorry if this part sounds like an hot take but i feel it's true: Little creatures in need of help from the clutches from Dr. Eggman couldn't be more true to the roots of the franchise than anything else introduced in the Dreamcast/Modern era.
True but at the same time the OC thing still had some potential to be had, if anything only Sonic 1 and Sonic 3D Blast were really about rescuing animals, Sonic 2 Genesis was about stopping Eggman from launching the Death Star-i mean-Death Egg, Sonic 2 Game Gear was about Sonic saving Tails from Eggman, Sonic CD was about going to a magical planet and time traveling to save it from being robotiziced, Sonic 3&K was about Eggman tricking the last member of an ancient tribe and trying to re-launch the Death Egg again, Chaos was about stopping South island from Sinking/Restoring balance to the world depending on the console, Triple Trouble was about trying to stop Knuckles from getting tricked again aswell as dealing with Fang the Sniper who just wants money, Chaotix was about investigating an evil amusement park (not unlike colors) on a mysterious island and stopping Eggman to harness the power of Giant Rings, and Mania was all about a powerfull gem that can cause illusions.

if anything the Chaos Emeralds were always way more important than rescuing animals, even the 3D games up to Colors used the Chaos emeralds, if anything Sonic Adventure was closer to the Genesis games than colors, as in it expands on Sonic CD, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with the plot being about stopping Eggman from feeding the chaos emeralds to an ancient water god, plus it directly refferences those three games with Tails' arc being about him relying on Sonic since he met him in Sonic 2, the background of the ancient echidna tribe and the master emerald being expanded on wich was introduced in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Amy mentioning the events of Sonic CD.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is doing the rounds in the Sonic Community. Looks like the Games might be coming next year (see last sentence).

With Sonic Colours Ultimate being Sega's way of giving us 'something' for the 30th anniversary.

f7Qg24L.jpg
Celebrating Sonic's 30th anniversary, on his 31st anniversary!

Whatever, I don't know what they're doing and I don't believe any of the rumors in the OP (I mean stuff about the voice cast and writers is plausible, some if it is obvious, but the rest), but whatever it is I'm glad they're not rushing it.

Though I wouldn't mind a new Sonic Rush.

They should learn from Rayman Legends then, it's like the Sonic successor. Get it back to 2D.

Agreed! Sonic makes perfect sense in 2D, but not so much in 3D. Heck, even controlling Toad in Super Mario 3D World Exploitation Edition for the Switch with the speed upgrade is not much fun because it's easy to lose control, and that's coming from the premier platformer team in the world.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Agreed! Sonic makes perfect sense in 2D, but not so much in 3D. Heck, even controlling Toad in Super Mario 3D World Exploitation Edition for the Switch with the speed upgrade is not much fun because it's easy to lose control, and that's coming from the premier platformer team in the world.

I still think the 3rd sequel on NES (Family Computer) was really ahead of its time. Endless hours, wonderful explorations. I love Mario games but never played one since NES/early 1990's. Might buy a Nintendo for my little daughter later on and play with her. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
What little I played of Colors seemed pretty good, Rider references and all.
The main thing I remember people who liked the game going on about is the game was way too long (read: the stages had the same issue Heroes did in they looped around so many times it became difficult for no good reason). Worlds after Colors had the same issue.

There is no way in hell that Sega will not follow up on Sonic Mania after how well it sold. That alone makes me highly doubt this “leaker”.
at the same time, SEGA is known for completely scrapping something that worked well and doing something else entirely, (See; Heroes & Shadow after SA1&2 did well, Lost World after Colors and Generations did well), besides there's the fact that a large vocal part of the fanbase are getting tired of classic sonic. the leak also stated that they would be doing an Advance or Rush style game instead.

cireza

Banned
I meant the 3D ones. Not sure if I missed any but had even the older ones on PS3 that seemed to be endless running. They degraded the game since the 1990's games that were very mindful and fun. Bought Mania but never downloaded it, I can't play old games I just can't tolerate them, but some little clips on youtube from time to time is enough for nostalgia.
Well I play pretty much all Sonic games and disagree. The 90s pretty much means the original 2D games, and people tend to forget that the 90s also had Sonic 3D (which was great), and other experimental entries such as Sonic CD or Knuckles Chaotix (all great games really), Sonic R as well (not so great lol). There was also Sega Sonic in the arcades, all the 8 bits games etc...

PS3 has Sonic 2006, Unleashed and Generations. First one has many problems, but Unleashed was awesome and Generations as well. Unleashed was half boost/half BTA and Generations was half boost/half old school Sonic. They were very fun games (still playable on Xbox by the way, with BC).

During the same period, Wii had Colors and it was a great game that included a ton of platforming, not that much boost. Lost Levels is the slowest paced 3D Sonic, with a ton of great platforming, great controls, and we finally got back to 60fps in 3D Sonic on consoles with this Wii U game (I think that was lost after Sonic 2006).

I had a blast with all of these games, they were all great fun. Even Forces was fun enough, even though the levels are way too short.

If you think that 1990s games were fun, then Mania was made exactly for people like you. So I don't really get it why you won't even try the game ? It's just a game, give it a try.

Last edited:
Well I play pretty much all Sonic games and disagree. The 90s pretty much means the original 2D games, and people tend to forget that the 90s also had Sonic 3D (which was great), and other experimental entries such as Sonic CD or Knuckles Chaotix (all great games really), Sonic R as well (not so great lol). There was also Sega Sonic in the arcades, all the 8 bits games etc...

PS3 has Sonic 2006, Unleashed and Generations. First one has many problems, but Unleashed was awesome and Generations as well. Unleashed was half boost/half BTA and Generations was half boost/half old school Sonic. They were very fun games (still playable on Xbox by the way, with BC).

During the same period, Wii had Colors and it was a great game that included a ton of platforming, not that much boost. Lost Levels is the slowest paced 3D Sonic, with a ton of great platforming, great controls, and we finally got back to 60fps in 3D Sonic on consoles with this Wii U game (I think that was lost after Sonic 2006).

I had a blast with all of these games, they were all great fun. Even Forces was fun enough, even though the levels are way too short.

If you think that 1990s games were fun, then Mania was made exactly for people like you. So I don't really get it why you won't even try the game ?
idk, if anything CD and Chaotix are just OK, while i like 3D Blast and R, and while Lost World is OK on it's own, it's just not a good Sonic game.

There isn't one Sonic game. There are tons of Sonic games. They never do the same game twice. That's why it is impossible to satisfy everyone. You have to open your mind a bit, and accept the games as they are. That's what I do.
The problem is that Lost World feels more like a Mario game gameplay and thematicly (same world structure as a Mario game,. deadly six look like something out of Mario, artstyle is a lot more cutesier when not even Colors was this cutesy, most of the soundtrack sounds like something out of Mario with only a few songs sounding sonic-ish, you gotta press the B Button to run, too slow), even if it was a Mario game, it would be pretty much everything i hate about Modern Mario (they exagerated the cuteness that the NES and SNES games had, too easy, too samey)

say whatever you want about Heroes, Shadow, Unleashed or Riders but they all felt more like Sonic games tone and gameplay-wise despite playing vastly differently, they still had momentum and/or reaction speed based gameplay, had a more edgier tone and asethetics (Sonic was always meant to be the edgy rival and the opposite to Mario, and had more of a classic dragonball-esque anime influence), and had cool, trendy music.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
The problem is that Lost World feels more like a Mario game gameplay and thematicly (same world structure as a Mario game,. deadly six look like something out of Mario, artstyle is a lot more cutesier when not even Colors was this cutesy, most of the soundtrack sounds like something out of Mario with only a few songs sounding sonic-ish, you gotta press the B Button to run, too slow), even if it was a Mario game, it would be pretty much everything i hate about Modern Mario (they exagerated the cuteness that the NES and SNES games had, too easy, too samey)

say whatever you want about Heroes, Shadow, Unleashed or Riders but they all felt more like Sonic games tone and gameplay-wise despite playing vastly differently, they still had momentum and/or reaction speed based gameplay, had a more edgier tone and asethetics (Sonic was always meant to be the edgy rival and the opposite to Mario, and had more of a classic dragonball-esque anime influence), and had cool, trendy music.
You can spin-dash indefinitely in Lost World (you never lose speed). The game is pretty great for speed running.

I meant the 3D ones. Not sure if I missed any but had even the older ones on PS3 that seemed to be endless running. They degraded the game since the 1990's games that were very mindful and fun. Bought Mania but never downloaded it, I can't play old games I just can't tolerate them, but some little clips on youtube from time to time is enough for nostalgia.

Sonic Forces didn't have endless running and quite a lot of meaty 2D sections that for me brock up the flow. Also, I remember one of the biggest complaints of both Sonic 1 and 2 on the MD were they were too easy and many of the Snes fans would say all you had too do was hold down right on the joypad. It was unfair then and it's unfair and wrong with 3D Sonic games. Sonic Generation wasn't all about running and even Sonic Unleashed wasn't all about running either same goes for Sonic Lost World and Colors Maybe you had a point with Sonic 06 that was crap.

For me far too many just jump on the Sonic knocking bandwagon because YouTube and the Forums say so. It's such a similar story for any EA game or Call Of Duty Game. It's quite lame and pathetic really.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sonic Forces didn't have endless running and quite a lot of meaty 2D sections that for me brock up the flow. Also, I remember one of the biggest complaints of both Sonic 1 and 2 on the MD were they were too easy and many of the Snes fans would say all you had too do was hold down right on the joypad. It was unfair then and it's unfair and wrong with 3D Sonic games. Sonic Generation wasn't all about running and even Sonic Unleashed wasn't all about running either same goes for Sonic Lost World and Colors Maybe you had a point with Sonic 06 that was crap.

For me far too many just jump on the Sonic knocking bandwagon because YouTube and the Forums say so. It's such a similar story for any EA game or Call Of Duty Game. It's quite lame and pathetic really.

Mate, I bought nearly every Sonic game on PS consoles as well, I never finished any because of boredom. I loved the old Sonic that had secret rooms, walking around with speedy runs in the middle that made them more rewarding. If you like this current formula then good for you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you think that 1990s games were fun, then Mania was made exactly for people like you. So I don't really get it why you won't even try the game ? It's just a game, give it a try.

I loved Streets of Rage games in the 1990's, never touched the 4th one because it mostly a remastered game. It was fun back then, but I want them to evolve.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I agree with this. Mania and SoR4 are fine games, but they don't bring anything new to the table.

Novelty was in Colors, Lost World, Unleashed etc... I prefer these modern games to those nostalgia based games made on a small budget.

To be clear I would love it to be like Mario and Ratchet and other modern platformers. Meaning his speed should be a tool/perk, but not a game fully designed around it. Simply just watch the anime or the movie and that's my perfect Sonic game.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Meaning his speed should be a tool/perk, but not a game fully designed around it
You should play Lost World as it is exactly this. And even Colors, the game is much less speed oriented, and has a ton of platforming and secondary routes using the wisps.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You should play Lost World as it is exactly this. And even Colors, the game is much less speed oriented, and has a ton of platforming and secondary routes using the wisps.

Seems nice, not exactly what I would like but better than what I've experienced later:

But it's an old game now, maybe next time.

Mate, I bought nearly every Sonic game on PS consoles as well, I never finished any because of boredom. I loved the old Sonic that had secret rooms, walking around with speedy runs in the middle that made them more rewarding. If you like this current formula then good for you.

I've bought all the Sonic's bar the GBA/DS ones and Black Knight on the Cube. The 1st two Sonic games didn't have that many secret rooms and the clue in the name of the title. Sonic games have been about speed and racing through levels. Sonic Forces breaks up the action too much with its heavy use of 2D style platforming sections all too much, to say that Sonic Forces is simply about racing through every level is wrong

But like with any of the COD games YouTube or the Internet says they're crap it must be true....

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've bought all the Sonic's bar the GBA/DS ones and Black Knight on the Cube. The 1st two Sonic games didn't have that many secret rooms and the clue in the name of the title. Sonic games have been about speed and racing through levels. Sonic Forces breaks up the action too much with its heavy use of 2D style platforming sections all too much, to say that Sonic Forces is simply about racing through every level is wrong

But like with any of the COD games YouTube or the Internet says they're crap it must be true....

Last things I care about is internet opinions. I tried them myself but the ones released on PS consoles. If you're happy with them then all power to you.

Unknown?

To be fair, it's a harder concept to translate to 3D than Mario. With World and Yoshi's Island, Mario was already set as an exploration based platformer, so that makes it easier to do a 3D game. Sonic main thing was speedy gameplay and that translates poorly to 3D because you can't control the fucker.
Not always though. Sonic 1 levels after the first two were very slow and platform heavy. Sonic 2 had slow levels too but not quite as many.

JSoup

Banned

>Every level.
>Posts video of one.

Most of the Modern Sonic stages are about "gotta go fast!", yeah. I remain that it's not a terrible game, though. Needs help, yes, but not terrible. A hair less good than Generations with a couple quality of life changes.

Fake

Sonic fans are out of their fucking mind. The franchise is almost dead, countless of failed attempts and negation of Sonic Mania and the movie.

Sometimes Sonic Team and Sonic fans deserves each other into this abyss.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
They were asked to make classic Sonic, which they had never done before.

They also made the GBA games, and more importantly the DS games (which were all great) and Sonic Generations on 3DS which is one of my favorite Sonic games. They clearly had the skills back then to make good Sonic games, but their strength lies in 2D games where they have the freedom to do what they want.

Miles708

Bruh... Dimps did Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episodes I & II....

I don't know how I feel about this... those games were REALLY BAD

I could be wrong but I remember that Sonic 4 started as a mobile game, and only made into a console game halfway during development. That's why it's mostly garbage. But episode 2, while still being on the lower end of acceptable, is wildly better.

Last things I care about is internet opinions. I tried them myself but the ones released on PS consoles. If you're happy with them then all power to you.
id recommend playing the Sonic Adventure games (and Heroes) aswell, they both have a sense of exploration and speed unlike any other 3D Sonic game, although Heroes is a little slower due to enemies having healthbars and relying on both comnbat and constantly switching characters, and SA2 constantly switches gameplay styles between Going Fast, Treasure Hunting and Mech Shooting (plus it's a little more linear than SA1)

these games came out like roughly 20 years ago but if you can play them all in PC, the last time SEGA used this formula was in Sonic 06, wich wasn't a very good game, and many people like me want a new 3D Sonic game like these again.

Last edited:
Sonic fans are out of their fucking mind. The franchise is almost dead, countless of failed attempts and negation of Sonic Mania.

Sometimes Sonic Team and Sonic fans deserves each other into this abyss.
the franchise is almost dead? don't think so, the Sonic Movie, Mania, IDW Comics, did and/or are doing well, and were getting a shitton of new media, (new Netflix Show, Movie, Games) a couple bad games doesn't mean a dead franchise, if you want to see a real dead franchise, look at Banjo-Kazooie (Smash Bros. doesn't count) or Rayman.

Last edited:

Good old YouTube, the Irony. You wouldn't get past the 1st Avtar stage trying that. YouTube can also beat Mario 64 with one hand too, but never mind

You really bought Sonic Forces?. The boost gameplay is broken up too much that title, never mind the many 2D sections in Generations

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I prefer the 2D games but we really need to let it go - 3D is here to stay from here onward.

They hub-world system with things to explore and discover in between levels like Sonic Adventure seems to be the best way forward, so far. I liked Sonic Unleashed's hub-worlds, too. It's difficult because Sonic is so far removed from a traditional platformer while presenting as one. It probably has more in common with Forza Horizon 4 than Mario Odyssey.

Top Bottom