• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue announcement coming this Saturday (not Shenmue 4 or Shenmue 3 ports)

Kazza

TIWUUUu.png

a9X5TLF.png

Maybe an animated series? A comic book? A Netflix live-action series ;)

Intriguing

Update:

It's a 13 part anime:

14858219-750x393.png

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The only relevant thing about this is what Cedric Biscay says.

Asshole "insiders" like this, blurting out crap for the sake of attention whoring and depriving developers of the chance to make surprise announcements they work hard for, should be ostracized.

Last edited:

Kazza

Best case scenario:
An anime covering the first 3 games, with an announcement for Shenmue 4 at the end

I'd rather not dwell on a worst case scenario :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The fact that this is already funded rather than a Kickstarter is a positive sign at least. It shows that there are investors with confidence in the IP

Esppiral

I am intrigued about what it could be, I just hope it is not another Shenmue Online. Lol

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Think of the least exciting announcement you can.

Then work down from there.

No. Lower than that.

Kazza

And there it is:

14858219.png

Press release:

At the iconic annual “Virtual Crunchyroll Expo” (held for the first time in digital format), Crunchyroll announced the new partnership with the Adult Swim platform for the production of “Shenmue” – an original anime series based on the franchise of the beloved counterpart game SEGA.

This co-production will be broadcast globally outside of Japan and mainland China on the Crunchyroll and Adult Swim platforms.

“The first Shenmue video game was released more than 20 years ago and we are excited to work with Adult Swim again to bring this franchise to life through the anime series. We look forward to showing our fans more of this action-packed adventure series, ”said Sarah Victor, head of Crunchyroll Development.

Shenmue is a 13-episode anime series that chronicles the adventure of Ryo Hazuki. After witnessing his father’s murder, Ryo dedicates his life to searching for the killer – a mission that takes him from the Japanese streets of Yokosuka to beyond the Hong Kong metropolis. In search of revenge, he will soon find out that mystical forces are involved, and in the meantime he is training to become an expert in martial arts.

“The Shenmue world is fascinating and unique, and we’re excited to work with Yu Suzuki (the game’s creator) to turn his epic creation into anime and make bestial martial arts,” said Jason DeMarco, creative director of Adult Swim.

The production of Crunchyroll and Adult Swim “Shenmue” is directed by Sakurai Chikara in the Telecom Animation Film studios, managed by Sola Entertainment. Video game creator Yu Suzuki is also on the team as executive producer.

Recent collaborations between Crunchyroll and Adult Swim include “Fena – Pirate Princess” and “Blade Runner – Black Lotus”. Fans eager to see the launch announcement can register for a free Virtual Crunchyroll Expo badge on crunchyrollexpo.com and can access the Crunchyroll Industry Panel in the V-CRX On-Demand section

The artwork in that still shot looks good, but I want to see a clip before I decide whether to be hyped or not. It looks to be taking the story up to around Shenmue 3 territory, so hopefully it's not just a replacement for 4. At least continuing the story via an anime is now an option if a new game isn't made for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
Given that this happened, I think it's pretty much spot-on to think the rest of what Dusk Golem talked about's going down as well.

Silent Hill cometh?!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't care if Shenmue 4 isn't represented in game form, I just wanna see the rest of the story.

And I don't need to wait years for it. Just give it to me in text form and I'll be happy.

Javthusiast

Banned
Is the story actually good, or just a competent but samey revenge plot you have seen told a thousand times?

Also anime retreading story already told in the games? Yeah this shit will never be finished in any form of media.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Does anybody know which studio working on this anime? All I know the guy who directed One Punch Man Season 2 is also directing this show.

Given that this happened, I think it's pretty much spot-on to think the rest of what Dusk Golem talked about's going down as well.

Silent Hill cometh?!

This kind of puts his "other" rumor stuff under a bit of a new light. 'Ya know, the stuff he said that got him in trouble on Reeee and seemingly de-modded (tho apparently he decided to step down from the position instead?).

Maybe that was just BS on his end to throw "trackers" off his trail or whatever. Was so weird seeing them post that though.

Hopefully they show off a new Silent Hill at the PS5 event next week, really interested to see how that looks.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You guys think we’ll get an ending to the story with this? Even if it’s not super canon and is somewhat reimagined. It would be nice, as long as it’s well made, I’m not really happy with the series’ recent path. The art is nice, I hope the budget/talent is there to make the show good.

I guess only 13 episodes might mean this is just the first game's worth of story or something equivalent (or even less?) rather than a rushed start to finish thing. So fingers crossed for additional seasons if it's good.

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
This kind of puts his "other" rumor stuff under a bit of a new light. 'Ya know, the stuff he said that got him in trouble on Reeee and seemingly de-modded (tho apparently he decided to step down from the position instead?).

Maybe that was just BS on his end to throw "trackers" off his trail or whatever. Was so weird seeing them post that though.

Hopefully they show off a new Silent Hill at the PS5 event next week, really interested to see how that looks.

I'm not sure I know of this story. What did he talk about that got him de-modded?

Calverz

Oh look. The guy who leaked about the ps5 struggling for power was right about shenmue news. Interesting 🤔

Carna

Banned
I stopped watching toonami on adult swim for like, 2 years. because of the lack of interesting anime on there.

Even moreso, they killed my interest, associating with BLM. so for all intents and purposes. I'm probably going to watch the Shenmue anime, on gogoanime

Now, rerealease the Sonic OVA, and give Sonic X a uncut Japanese/Subtitle release in the US

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
Dusk Golem has redeemed himself , people that don't like him get use to seeing him alot more on this website

Last edited:

SonicJams

This better finish the story...otherwise, what's the point of making an anime, only for it to end on a cliffhanger half way through 🤔

Last edited:
iirc, he said Resident Evil 8 was struggling to run at 1080p 60fps on PS5, then later said he posted that as a response to the Craig backlash.

Not exactly to the Craig backlash but as a response to the negativity surrounding the delay of Halo. He eventually wanted to balance things out. I guess he got demodded for admitting to console warring. Who knows what he said about multiplats being really bad on the PS5 is true.

Edit: He also claims to know the pricing strategy for both systems. He made the claim that the XSX will be cheaper then the PS5 no matter what.

Edit 2: just incase anyone wants to read Gafs thread on what happened.

Edit 3: Something I found interesting in that thread.

Annotation-2020-08-24-094800.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom