• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "Ratchet and Clank" give me vibes I haven't felt since mid 90s

keraj37

Last time I felt so dragged into the game, how it looks and how I feel attached to the new quality in gaming was when I played for the first time "Dark Forces" around 1995.
I just couldn't stop playing, something similar is happening when I play RnC - I just cannot grasp how good it looks - easily the best looking game I ever played, a true next gen gem.

If you have PS5, buy it now you won't regret at all.

Well, only regret could come from too many bugs, more than I experienced in CP77 - it should tell you a lot about the technical state of this game - but if you can ignore some serious bugs and load the game from last checkpoint, you will have real fun.

Anyone same feelings?

TrueLegend

First of all wtf is this overhype. Second, which game are you really playing? The technical state of this game is great. The best-looking game, have you seen RDR2 on PC in ultra.
Zo3UR2g.jpg

Some of the ground texture in this game particularly vegetation is average. Are you a bot.

ManaByte

I finished it and will eventually mop up the last few trophies I need for the Platinum, but in the end it was just a Ratchet and Clank game. Maybe it's because I just played through the 2016 game on PS5 a couple of months ago when the 60fps patch came out, but at about the halfway point of this one I had to almost force myself to finish it because it was so much of the same, just with much better graphics.

Kuranghi

Yeah man/manette, I can't help but look around and examine all the backgrounds of the environments before moving on, its such a feast for the eyes in Fidelity mode.

I also got some bugs where I had to reset the checkpoint but nothing too bad, I'd say the jumping + climbing on things + holes in the geometry is a bigger problem than the reset bugs.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yeah man/manette, I can't help but look around and examine all the backgrounds of the environments before moving on, its such a feast for the eyes in Fidelity mode.

I also got some bugs where I had to reset the checkpoint but nothing too bad, I'd say the jumping + climbing on things + holes in the geometry is a bigger problem than the bugs.

I had a bug where I hit the crystal to change worlds but the world didn't load in correctly.

I wish I understood the love for this game. It’s pretty, but so boring to play. All the guns may have different looks and effects but they really don’t feel all that different to play around with. Partly because every enemy you fight involves the same exact strategy. You can steamroll this game with the first gun you get mindlessly shooting. Trying to experiment with guns and combos is utterly pointless. The platforming is terrible as it’s always been in this series. The puzzle sections feel tacked on like they did in the 2016 game. The story is at best forgettable and at worst annoying. Even visually, I think it’s often too noisy to the point where your brain doesn’t really know where to look and it makes the scenery difficult to take in.

My favorite part, no joke, are the little sections where you control Glitch and run around on walls and ceilings shooting enemies. That and some of the more grandiose in scale set pieces like the Fixer grind rail section. So much of this game just immediately leaves my brain as soon as I move on to the next thing.

leo-j

First time I feel a platformer other than the original LBP is up there with some of the Nintendo games. That and crash 4 are kinda a big jump in quality for me from the predecessors. I did not enjoy ratchet 2016 at all comparably. Ratchet 2021 is so much more of a platformer than that other game.

GymWolf

I wish I understood the love for this game. It’s pretty, but so boring to play. All the guns may have different looks and effects but they really don’t feel all that different to play around with. Partly because every enemy you fight involves the same exact strategy. You can steamroll this game with the first gun you get mindlessly shooting. Trying to experiment with guns and combos is utterly pointless. The platforming is terrible as it’s always been in this series. The puzzle sections feel tacked on like they did in the 2016 game. The story is at best forgettable and at worst annoying. Even visually, I think it’s often too noisy to the point where your brain doesn’t really know where to look and it makes the scenery difficult to take in.

My favorite part, no joke, are the little sections where you control Glitch and run around on walls and ceilings shooting enemies. That and some of the more grandiose in scale set pieces like the Fixer grind rail section. So much of this game just immediately leaves my brain as soon as I move on to the next thing.
It's a game that is better than the sum of its parts for many people, but i can't really negate all the flaws you listed, expect the glitch levels, i hated that shit and it was more confusing to navigate than any other area:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The platform was ok for me but i'm no a platform games expert, there is no much of it anyway.

I also got some bugs where I had to reset the checkpoint but nothing too bad, I'd say the jumping + climbing on things + holes in the geometry is a bigger problem than the reset bugs.

started the game in fidelity mode and was enjoying it. switched over to performance mode and wow! nice and smooth and not too noticable downgrade in visuals. switched back to fidelity to see the difference and WTF!? my eyes hurt is was so bad! how was i playing games like this before? once you play at 60fps it impossible to go back to the 30.

Gargauth

It's real pretty, that's for sure. That being said I must admit I am a bit envious to people who get so excited over visuals. The graphics do nothing for me if game is not fun on deeper level. Thankfully I enjoyed Ratchet fair bit. It's simple fun, but fun nonetheless.

For me that game "give me vibes I haven't felt since mid 90s" in recent memory was actually Outer Wilds (not Worlds). In some way I'd argue it was more "next gen" than actual AAA games are, especially when it comes to (astro)physics simulation.

started the game in fidelity mode and was enjoying it. switched over to performance mode and wow! nice and smooth and not too noticable downgrade in visuals. switched back to fidelity to see the difference and WTF!? my eyes hurt is was so bad! how was i playing games like this before? once you play at 60fps it impossible to go back to the 30.
I felt the opposite. Started in fidelity mode went to performance then back to fidelity. I prefer the higher resolution and the added framerate wore off on me. It is certainly pretty but it did feel similar to 2016 R&C.

TrueLegend

I like PlayStation, I love PlayStation but I don't worship PlayStation unlike some of you. I own my PlayStation but seems like with many of you your PlayStation owns you. Also, you really should watch Palptatine's entire arc against the backdrop of his story from this meme, he too died like a bitch. This game is good but stop acting like it's Metal Gear Solid 2. And anybody comparing this to crybercrash777 is just an absolute idiot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I like PlayStation, I love PlayStation but I don't worship PlayStation unlike some of you. I own my PlayStation but seems like with many of you your PlayStation owns you. Also, you really should watch Palptatine's entire arc against the backdrop of his story from this meme, he too died like a bitch. This game is good but stop acting like it's Metal Gear Solid 2. And anybody comparing this to crybercrash777 is just an absolute idiot.
Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I found it to be a pretty game with boring gameplay. You can beat it in a weekend. It is on my shelf now and will most likely never be touched again.

Unknown?

Good argument, totally neutral.

Raonak

Banned
Absolutely, it's such a nice fucking game that doesn't want to waste your time. It's just straight up raw fun.

I also don't have to feel bad because I can't complete it due to difficulty (demons, returnal)

Definitely a must get if you have a PS5.

RGB'D

It's a really fun ratchet and clank game. Probably not the best (up your arsenal?) But a really good game with the variety I expect from Ratchet and Clank. I also love ratchet and clank and part of the reason I bought a PS5. But it's praise is a bit hyperbolic... for example, while technically impressive, the dimension portals at the end of the day were just a door... they used the titanfall 2 obligatory change time within the level... and had a dimension Hookshot. I loved it as a game but they didn't reinvent the wheel and it isn't the best game ever.

I think the most amazing thing about R'n'C is that its a complete game. There is so much of everything happening at the same time, in one game.
I mean you can do a 5-minute tech demo with prettier graphics but fact that it's a game that looks and plays like this is astonishing. Again, there is more than just amazing graphics - it's a complete and working game.

Spidey Fan

Banned
You dare call cyber trash? Excute this man for trashing our savior cage.
Keanu Reeves Nick GIF

hussar16

Last time I felt so dragged into the game, how it looks and how I feel attached to the new quality in gaming was when I played for the first time "Dark Forces" around 1995.
I just couldn't stop playing, something similar is happening when I play RnC - I just cannot grasp how good it looks - easily the best looking game I ever played, a true next gen gem.

If you have PS5, buy it now you won't regret at all.

Well, only regret could come from too many bugs, more than I experienced in CP77 - it should tell you a lot about the technical state of this game - but if you can ignore some serious bugs and load the game from last checkpoint, you will have real fun.

Anyone same feelings?
even after a downgrade it looks pretty decent

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game definitely makes a strong first impression. It is a visually stunning game with some really amazing setpieces and next gen holy shit moments.

Unfortunately it kinda fizzles out towards the end. They stick with arena battles and dont really innovate much when it came to the core combat which while still a lot of fun isnt going to win any gotys.

Its definitely a must play for PS5 owners though.

Raonak

Banned
It's a really fun ratchet and clank game. Probably not the best (up your arsenal?) But a really good game with the variety I expect from Ratchet and Clank. I also love ratchet and clank and part of the reason I bought a PS5. But it's praise is a bit hyperbolic... for example, while technically impressive, the dimension portals at the end of the day were just a door... they used the titanfall 2 obligatory change time within the level... and had a dimension Hookshot. I loved it as a game but they didn't reinvent the wheel and it isn't the best game ever.
It's definitely the best playing ratchet and clank game, and the dimensional swapping is completely novel in that unlike Titanfall it's not tricking you into thinking you're swapping worlds

You're actually literally swapping whole fully detailed worlds. (in blizar, and setpieces)
Feel free to be underwhelmed if you want, but it's quite outstanding.

Gameplay wise, they've basically perfected the ratchet formular, so it is more of the same. It's not reinventing the wheel, but nobody wants it to reinvent the wheel. They just want a great game to show off the power of the PS5 and ratchet does it in spades imo.

Not the best game in the world, but no doubt the best game I've played all year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom