• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 system software update is out globally today

tommib

STOP REQUIRING ME TO PLUG IN MY DUALSENSE

ASSHOLES

going off alex jones GIF
I hate that prompt but I did manage to update the OS without having to plug in the controller. They want you to do it to update the DualSense firmware. I just can’t be bothered. :lollipop_pensive:

Because Sony strictly follows the HDMI Forum spec, and it doesn't include support for VRR at 1440p.
PS4's HDR support was also not really in the specs of HDMI1.4, or was it?

Technically it should be possible to support the in between resolution, even if some monitors would then be the next problem. But those should also be able to be patched, outside a seemingly stupid spec. The spec might be the initial stupidity, but Sony still gets the ridicule and blame. Whatever work it takes to include it, it should be worth it for them.

Mithos

Why they're using those, though. Or why doesn't the specs allow other options? Can't it be changed? Who decided about those specs?
Because those specs decides what type of HDMI port and version they need to put in the console.
The HDMI Forum Group decides what goes into every version of the HDMI Spec standard.
Yes the specs can change takes time though, HDMI 2.1 was released in 2017, and that's the newest version of the Spec so far.**
Before this HDMI 2.0 was in 2013, 2.0a in 2015 and 2.0b in 2016.

HDMI Specs have taken a turn for the worse though, there is no longer a 2.0 its been merged with 2.1 and 2.1a*** so now when you buy something that say HDMI 2.1 it can be anything from 2.0, 2,1 or 2,1a***

***Have not found whats different between 2.1 and 2.1a (someone else might know)

Best hope is Sony adding support for FreeSync, if people want 1440p and VRR.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS4's HDR support was also not really in the specs of HDMI1.4, or was it?

Technically it should be possible to support the in between resolution, even if some monitors would then be the next problem. But those should also be able to be patched, outside a seemingly stupid spec. The spec might be the initial stupidity, but Sony still gets the ridicule and blame. Whatever work it takes to include it, it should be worth it for them.

But do any monitors actually support HDMI VRR at 1440p, or only with Freesync etc (which the PS5 doesn't support at all)?

But do any monitors actually support HDMI VRR at 1440p, or only with Freesync etc (which the PS5 doesn't support at all)?
Maybe not. I thought about buying a monitor and I am looking at the LG 27GP850-B. Adaptive Sync, Freesync, Gsync and HDR. I don't see any info about HDR+sync on the LG-site though but the price comparison site states explicitely without HDR at the freesync info while gsync is not further explained... at least more Hz with Displayport compared to HDMI. So HDMI kind of sucks and is always behind.
Either way, the blame would then need to be shifted to them though. Or Sony could just offer themselves such gaming monitors. Be the leader instead of following some arbitrary limits and offer good reasons to choose them?

edit: just seeing that the much more expensive LG 27GP950-B states HDR included at Freesync (HDMI2.0 was upgraded to 2.1 which seems to be the only difference. 500 bucks extra, 800 instead of 300, for that is insane though). But the ball is at Sony's side to make it work.

Last edited:

hinch7

Installed the patch and briefly tried 1440P on my monitor. And it seems to run well. Uncharted 4 on performance mode looks so clean. Even more-so than the letting my display scale from 4K.

Maybe a touch less input lag too. Guess performance mode/RT will be my default choice from now on. Now if they only allow VRR or Freesync on 1440P.

tygertrip

Your TV has to advertise 1440p@60 support through EDID, otherwise PS5 won't allow you to set 1440p resolution even if it works fine. PC lets you set whatever you want.
*sigh*, so annoying. I was hoping to be able to use the 4K 40 fps mode that some ps5 games have. My tv only does 60 hz @ 4K. 2019 (I think) Samsung Q6FN. The VRR doesn’t work right either. 82” and got it for literally half price, so I can’t really complain, I’m pretty lucky. Thanks for the info though, I was curious as to why it wouldn’t work!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I tried the new 3D audio option but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly?

I have a sound bar with 2 satellite speakers but I chose the TV speaker setting on the PS5 to "force" 3D Audio in the menu?

I'm playing TLOU remake and I can hear the difference but is it good or I'm fucking up my sound?

Banned
PS5 does not have freesync, that's why, because VRR on TVs is separate standard. Because TV companies loves to play by themselves and then sell the licence for it.

that's nonsense and I have no idea who started spreading this misinformation.

HDMI Forum VRR works perfectly fine at 1440p.
Rtings did VRR tests at 1440p with LG TVs where you can turn off FreeSync.

they plugged in an Xbox One S, set it to 1440p120hz and turned off FreeSync on the TV's settings to test if it supports HDMI Forum VRR and test the range of it.

this was before current gen was out so they were literally limited to 1440p when testing 120hz VRR on said LG TVs.

guess what happened? HDMI Forum VRR worked :) at 1440p 120hz on an Xbox One S.
the TV didn't even support FreeSync when it came out initially, so their initial test was without FreeSync even being available.

BUT someone on here that owns an LG CX or newer with VRR support + an Xbox One X, One S, Series X or Series S could of course easily confirm this.

turn your console off, go onto your TV settings and turn off FreeSync but keep Gsync on (Gsync and HDMI VRR are combined into one setting on LG)
then turn on your console, set it to 1440p and see if VRR still works.

simple really. sadly my TV can not have HDMI VRR on independently from FreeSync as HDMI VRR support on my old ass TV is basically just a barely known extra feature on a single HDMI port.

the actual reason the PS5 doesn't support 1440p + VRR is because of their TVs. their TVs don't support it.
some from 1 or 2 years ago didn't even support 1440p whatsoever. others did support it but only on PC by forcing it through Nvidia control panel settings.

that's the real reason.

Sony refuses to support any standard that their TVs do not support. the PS4 Pro never got 1440p support because back then their TVs literally didn't support 1440p.
the PS5 didn't have it from the start because only now their TVs work with 1440p.
the PS5 also didn't have VRR from the start because their TVs still either lacked VRR completely or had massive issues with it due to being patched in after the fact.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Has anyone else here had these problems since the update:

1. Screen Glitch when launching a game:
62aa4841-fdc9-423a-8a0tfyh.jpg

15698aad-f450-4820-94ukcxs.jpg

So far it only happened with TLOU Part I (will try Dying Light 2 after the re-install of Part I has finished - the reinstall did not fix it). And it seems like that is has something to do with VRR. I had no issues while playing on the Beta Firmware. Switching to the Homescreen for 1 ms fixes the issue for some reason. At least until you relaunch the game again. Then it might appear again.
I am afraid your PS5 has been hacked by Microsoft.
Do you have an Xbox in the same network? You should isolate it immediately.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

TonyK

Folders are so ugly. Design seems totally different from base Ui, like place holder art. And functionality is so limited. I hope they will make future iterations and improve the feature.

TrebleShot

Anyone having issues with activity cards? Doesn’t seem to show in the menu for games that do have the quick resume function like TLOU and Horizon

Mithos

that's nonsense and I have no idea who started spreading this misinformation.

HDMI Forum VRR works perfectly fine at 1440p.
Rtings did VRR tests at 1440p with LG TVs where you can turn off FreeSync.

they plugged in an Xbox One S, set it to 1440p120hz and turned off FreeSync on the TV's settings to test if it supports HDMI Forum VRR and test the range of it.

this was before current gen was out so they were literally limited to 1440p when testing 120hz VRR on said LG TVs.

guess what happened? HDMI Forum VRR worked :) at 1440p 120hz on an Xbox One S.
the TV didn't even support FreeSync when it came out initially, so their initial test was without FreeSync even being available.

BUT someone on here that owns an LG CX or newer with VRR support + an Xbox One X, One S, Series X or Series S could of course easily confirm this.

turn your console off, go onto your TV settings and turn off FreeSync but keep Gsync on (Gsync and HDMI VRR are combined into one setting on LG)
then turn on your console, set it to 1440p and see if VRR still works.

simple really. sadly my TV can not have HDMI VRR on independently from FreeSync as HDMI VRR support on my old ass TV is basically just a barely known extra feature on a single HDMI port.

the actual reason the PS5 doesn't support 1440p + VRR is because of their TVs. their TVs don't support it.
some from 1 or 2 years ago didn't even support 1440p whatsoever. others did support it but only on PC by forcing it through Nvidia control panel settings.

that's the real reason.

Sony refuses to support any standard that their TVs do not support. the PS4 Pro never got 1440p support because back then their TVs literally didn't support 1440p.
the PS5 didn't have it from the start because only now their TVs work with 1440p.
the PS5 also didn't have VRR from the start because their TVs still either lacked VRR completely or had massive issues with it due to being patched in after the fact.
Can you turn off FreeSync on the Xbox Series S|X but keep the HDMI Forum VRR ON ?
If not I would guess it could be possible for a Gsync compatible TV to use FreeSync (and not HDMI Forum VRR) when it detects the FreeSync signal from the Xbox Series S|X and work because of it.

So could someone tell me please, I'm running 1440p, what would this do to a game running at 1080p?

Is it like a pc where if you up the res the frame rate takes a hit?

After 1440p the best new feature is the ability to turn Dualsense microphone off by default!

Like how was it not off by default from launch is mindblowing.

Banned
Can you turn off FreeSync on the Xbox Series S|X but keep the HDMI Forum VRR ON ?
If not I would guess it could be possible for a Gsync compatible TV to use FreeSync (and not HDMI Forum VRR) when it detects the FreeSync signal from the Xbox Series S|X and work because of it.

pretty sure that's not possible. if you turn off FreeSync then the TV will literally tell the console or PC you connect to it that FreeSync isn't available.

so I would say no, there is no way that the console still uses FreeSync when FreeSync is turned off on the TV

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So could someone tell me please, I'm running 1440p, what would this do to a game running at 1080p?

Is it like a pc where if you up the res the frame rate takes a hit?
If you're on a 1440p screen, the console won't downscale to 1080p and afterwards your screen won't upscale 1080p to 1440p.

1080p games will be upscaled by your screen and that's fine.

Output resolutions on PS5 doesn't affect framerates in games.

Last edited:
If you're on a 1440p screen, the console won't downscale to 1080p and afterwards your screen won't upscale 1080p to 1440p.

1080p games will be upscaled by your screen and that's fine.

Output resolutions on PS5 doesn't affect framerates in games.
Thanks. Ghost recon breakpoint in performance mode runs at 60@1080p buts it's a real blur. With 1440p I get to keep the frames and it looks really sharp

The crew 2 1080p 60 mode however still looks blurry at 1440p

Top Bottom