• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 revisions appear in AUS, new disc revision now weighs the same as a launch digital edition.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
James Franco GIF

bitbydeath

Yes, trying to have a discussion and explain very real things to someone who only has troll responses can do that. Anyway, I'm done with you. Dumbass.
Clearly I hit a nerve, could it be you were lying this whole time which is why you’re reacting so poorly. *gasp*

//DEVIL//

No they didn't, it was clearly a hair dryer, that I guess you must have accidentally left running every time you used your consoles. Even though coil whine sounds nothing like a hair dryer whatsoever.
I think you are quoting the wrong person lol. I never claimed it was loud as a hair dryer. And coil whine has a buzzing electric sound. Not a fan noise for it to be a hair dryer lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Clearly I hit a nerve, could it be you were lying this whole time which is why you’re reacting so poorly. *gasp*

Nope. I'm not a pathetic loser like you. What possible reason would I have to lie about something like that? I'm an Xbox fanboy or something? I've never owned an Xbox console in my life.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think you are quoting the wrong person lol. I never claimed it was loud as a hair dryer. And coil whine has a buzzing electric sound. Not a fan noise for it to be a hair dryer lol

Exactly. I was joking about the dumbass making the stupidest posts of the year in this thread.

bitbydeath

Nope. I'm not a pathetic loser like you. What possible reason would I have to lie about something like that? I'm an Xbox fanboy or something? I've never owned an Xbox console in my life.
I don’t know why, but you’re clearly having a bad day given your outburst.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Generally new revisions mean cheaper alternate components, like the smaller heat sink and smaller processor nm size and whatnot.

Which makes the recent announcement of a price increase even more baffling in context.

John Wick

Generally new revisions mean cheaper alternate components, like the smaller heat sink and smaller processor nm size and whatnot.

Which makes the recent announcement of a price increase even more baffling in context.
Not really. Saving a few quid here and there doesn't make up for the 547% rise in shipping alone. Never mind the logistics, components and assembly cost price rises. Even packaging has gone up to nearly double.
It's baffling to you because obviously you have an axe to grind. It's not welcome but it's the reality of the situation.

LordOfChaos

Do we know if this is the 6nm revision? It wasn't going to be enough for a true Slim but enough to shrink the heatsinks again probably. Or is that still another thing coming later?

adamsapple

Not really. Saving a few quid here and there doesn't make up for the 547% rise in shipping alone. Never mind the logistics, components and assembly cost price rises. Even packaging has gone up to nearly double.
It's baffling to you because obviously you have an axe to grind. It's not welcome but it's the reality of the situation.

Oh yes, I forgot I'm literally the only person whose baffled by this price hike on the internet :rolleyes:

By Sony's own words, at least the disc based PS5s were profitable to them as early as Q1 2021. You'd think further hardware revisions would have made the manufacturing process even more cost effective since then and the only major issue left is logistical and you'd think Sony is big enough to take a small hit on it for the user base.

John Wick

Oh yes, I forgot I'm literally the only person whose baffled by this price hike on the internet :rolleyes:

By Sony's own words, at least the disc based PS5s were profitable to them as early as Q1 2021. You'd think further hardware revisions would have made the manufacturing process even more cost effective since then and the only major issue left is logistical and you'd think Sony is big enough to take a small hit on it for the user base.
Lmfao. What do you think they were making a huge profit on each console? Probably about $5-10 per console if that.
So if the component prices rise any savings are going to be negated. Everything is rising including fuel.

adamsapple

Lmfao. What do you think they were making a huge profit on each console? Probably about $5-10 per console if that.
So if the component prices rise any savings are going to be negated. Everything is rising including fuel.

Consoles are usually getting drops near or at the 2 year mark, not increases. Hardware has almost always been sold at a loss anyway with companies making a profit off of software. Sony were able to get PS5s to be profitable within half a year was an impressive thing and there's no real reason they can't eat the cost. If they were really hurting that much, they'd have increased the price globally, including the US.

It's kinda obvious this is them just increasing the prices for regions where they know they won't have as much direct competition as the US. Japan gets a 20% price hike, because there's little to no chance of Xbox overtaking lifetime sales there. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Coil whine sounds nothing like a fan/hair dryer. Here's an example and also explanation:

And here's another one:

I could find you ten more easily.

Now these are obviously very amplified, it's not that loud in reality, and of course you can also hear the fan and sometimes the disc drive in these videos. But that's unrelated, the coil whine is the very obvious buzzing sound that's separate from the fan noise.

What I mostly hear from my PS5 is the coil whine (which is pretty much constant when a game is running) and the disc drive (which is intermittent). The fan is usually rather quiet, the coil whine can usually be easily heard over it. And it's very easy to tell which is which, again, they're completely different noises.

Maybe some dumbasses put up fake videos, but this is a very real issue. I don't know why you're trying to debunk it.

Why the fuck would I pretend to have an issue like that? What's wrong with you?

I have a launch ps5 and it's quieter when it comes to coil whine than my 3080fe and previous graphics cards.
It ticks in slower intervals at 30fps and faster at 60. It is completely normal "electrical" noise.
It's so quiet it really is not bothersome.

I just think people are ASS

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have a launch ps5 and it's quieter when it comes to coil whine than my 3080fe and previous graphics cards.
It ticks in slower intervals at 30fps and faster at 60. It is completely normal "electrical" noise.

My PS5 is very audible. Not LOUD like the PS4 Pro was, but in any quiet moment in a game I can easily hear it. It's definitely no "slow ticking", there's a very audible BUZZZZZZZ. But this clearly differs between units.

I know PC GPUs often have this "issue" to some degree, but it seems like the XSX doesn't at all (I don't have one, just what I've heard people say), even though it's almost identical to the PS5 in many ways. Maybe the lower clock frequency makes a difference here, but I also remember seeing videos demonstrating that MS did a better job isolating/dampening the electrical components that cause this when they vibrate from the power flowing through them.

Last edited:
My PS5 is very audible. Not LOUD like the PS4 Pro was, but in any quiet moment in a game I can easily hear it. It's definitely no "slow ticking", there's a very audible BUZZZZZZZ. But this clearly differs between units.

I know PC GPUs often have this "issue" to some degree, but it seems like the XSX doesn't at all (I don't have one, just what I've heard people say), even though it's almost identical to the PS5 in many ways. Maybe the lower clock frequency makes a difference here, but I also remember seeing videos demonstrating that MS did a better job isolating/dampening the electrical components that cause this when they vibrate from the power flowing through them.
You should get yours replaced. I cant hear mine at all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Consoles are usually getting drops near or at the 2 year mark, not increases. Hardware has almost always been sold at a loss anyway with companies making a profit off of software. Sony were able to get PS5s to be profitable within half a year was an impressive thing and there's no real reason they can't eat the cost. If they were really hurting that much, they'd have increased the price globally, including the US.

It's kinda obvious this is them just increasing the prices for regions where they know they won't have as much direct competition as the US. Japan gets a 20% price hike, because there's little to no chance of Xbox overtaking lifetime sales there. 🤷‍♂️
As if there were not two huge thread discussing this and why they were in a position where it may be difficult for them to do it compared to the competition and why they did not raise the price in the States (nice mention of Japan where neither them nor the Xbox is really making a dent), but fill your boots… I will not stop you taking this concern (reads the same airlifted from other threads) to every thread where you feel there may be positive PS5 news, go and be yourself ;).

Last edited:

adamsapple

As if there were not two huge thread discussing this and why they were in a position where it may be difficult for them to do it compared to the competition and why they did not raise the price in the States (nice mention of Japan where neither them nor the Xbox is really making a dent), but fill your boots… I will not stop you taking this concern (reads the same airlifted from other threads) to every thread where you feel there may be positive PS5 news, go and be yourself ;).

People have literally mentioned it multiple times since the first page of this thread. Redirect your aggro elsewhere please :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Zathalus

My PS5 has no coil whine and is whisper quite but the one unit (out of 6) at my office has a bit of audible coil whine.

It's rare but it does happen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My PS5 has no coil whine and is whisper quite but the one unit (out of 6) at my office has a bit of audible coil whine.

It's rare but it does happen.

If something like that has a chance of happening, it's gonna happen with the one I get. It never fails.

JimboJones

This is the equivalent of "it works fine for me" posts in PC threads.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wonder how much this will save on distribution costs. With the volume they sell, this will save a lot of fuel.

So Angstronomics has leaked that the latest PS5 revision contains "Oberon Plus", the same APU with the same configuration ported from N7 to N6 which has reduced the overall die size from 300mm2 to below 260mm2. This has lead to reduced production cost and less power consumption.

PS5 was the first to do this since it sells more than the other consoles but Angstronomics claims that Series X/S will follow suit in the future as well.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Anyone who says he can’t hear the ps5 coil whine when he is very close to the system in a mute room / environment really needs to get his ears checked. I’ll just leave it at that .

Because all the PS5 have it . It’s a hardware flaw design where there isn’t anything to damp the electrical noise.
Even the Xbox series X has it . But that you would have to put your ear on top of the fan under a heavy load game to hear it as they did an excellent noise damping on it

ZoukGalaxy

Anyone who says he can’t hear the ps5 coil whine when he is very close to the system in a mute room / environment really needs to get his ears checked. I’ll just leave it at that .

Because all the PS5 have it . It’s a hardware flaw design where there isn’t anything to damp the electrical noise.
Even the Xbox series X has it . But that you would have to put your ear on top of the fan under a heavy load game to hear it as they did an excellent noise damping on it
Still no ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's ok to be wrong.

"But that you would have to put your ear on top of the fan under a heavy load game to hear it"

Oh ok, didn't know that's how people are playing.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Nope, you're absolutely wrong: no coil whine AT ALL and I'm very picky about silence. It's not a every PS5 thing, you are just unlucky at the lottery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
Oh the amount of people telling me their electronic device is silent... I don't believe any of you anymore.
Be it active monitors, consoles, TVs, blu ray players. You people either life by a busy street or have other things in your room that is masking the coil whine, or have hearing damage (wich is not a diss, this happens to everybody in different ways over the years).

I'm the guy that can hear transformer hum in LED light bulbs across the room etc.

The PS5 is made in a certain way and it simply has coil whine. Microsoft applied a thick goo to get rid of the vibrating capacitors, Sony saved the money.

winjer

Gold Member
TSMC says that N6 has 18%, it's probably a reduction from 308mm2, to around 253mm2. So more chips per waffer, making it cheaper.
The IP is very similar to N7, so it was probably very easy and cheap to make the change.
N6 also has much better optimization in production, with fewer passes. Once again, making it cheaper still.
This should make the SoC of the PS5 a good chunk cheaper to produce.
So the price of the PS5 should go lower, not higher.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Still no ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's ok to be wrong.

"But that you would have to put your ear on top of the fan under a heavy load game to hear it"

Oh ok, didn't know that's how people are playing.
That’s how u know u have a coil whine . Not how u play. Aside from the disk spinning, you shouldn’t hear the ps5 if the tv sound is on and at normal playing level.

Once you establish the buzzing coil whine is there ( you won’t hear it if you are at the dashboard, only when you are playing ) then how much is your tolerance to it is a personal thing

Last edited:
Nah, you just live in a loud environment. Coil while is a thing on every PS5. Its annoying.

Or maybe yours is defective and not everyone's PS5 is like that?
You have multiple people in here saying theirs don't have that issue. I know people that do have it...

Also if to hear this you need to be in a "mute room" and "put your ear on top of the fan under a heavy load game to hear it" then it's the same noise every electronic device like this does. Nothing out of the ordinary. And since no one plays like this i'm sure i'll be fine.

I did try that just now with TLOU1 in a "mute room" and i could hear a very faint noise coming out of the PS5 but i have to literally put my ear glued to where the fans are. As soon as i sit down i can't hear it even with my TV on mute.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just climb inside the machine to hear it, how bou da!
Its okay when some people don't have the best hearing. Its normal for people to have partial "hearing loss" especially in high freq. content. One to many times in the club or at a concert etc. and you have it.

People at the AVS Forum have been dead serious that a certain blu ray player is silent. Lol. I had to do this to make it non audible from my seating position.

Its like eye sight, some need glasses some don't. Etc.

Or maybe yours is defective and not everyone's PS5 is like that?
You have multiple people in here saying theirs don't have that issue. I know people that do have it...

Also if to hear this you need to be in a "mute room" and "put your ear on top of the fan under a heavy load game to hear it" then it's the same noise every electronic device like this does. Nothing out of the ordinary. And since no one plays like this i'm sure i'll be fine.

I did try that just now with TLOU1 in a "mute room" and i could hear a very faint noise coming out of the PS5 but i have to literally put my ear glued to where the fans are. As soon as i sit down i can't hear it even with my TV on mute.

See above. I can hear the PS5 coil whine sitting on my couch in a silent scene, in menus, the Home Screen or a loading screen etc. Its annoying is all.

Last edited:
TSMC says that N6 has 18%, it's probably a reduction from 308mm2, to around 253mm2. So more chips per waffer, making it cheaper.
The IP is very similar to N7, so it was probably very easy and cheap to make the change.
N6 also has much better optimization in production, with fewer passes. Once again, making it cheaper still.
This should make the SoC of the PS5 a good chunk cheaper to produce.
So the price of the PS5 should go lower, not higher.
Every electronic device is going up in price as we speak, specially outside of america. Look at all Iphones, even the basic iPhone 14 which is the same as last year's iPhone 13 is now 1000 euros in europe. Ndivda cards announced last week...if you check those prices outside of america you may have a heart attack.

All Sony devices in general went up in prices as well, not just PS5. This wasn't a Playstation decision. It was a Sony decision unfortunately.

ZoukGalaxy

Just climb inside the machine to hear it, how bou da!
OH.MY.GOD.
A WHOLE NEW WORLD, MY LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE !
computer animation 90s GIF

Oh the amount of people telling me their electronic device is silent... I don't believe any of you anymore.
Be it active monitors, consoles, TVs, blu ray players. You people either life by a busy street or have other things in your room that is masking the coil whine, or have hearing damage (wich is not a diss, this happens to everybody in different ways over the years).

I'm the guy that can hear transformer hum in LED light bulbs across the room etc.

The PS5 is made in a certain way and it simply has coil whine. Microsoft applied a thick goo to get rid of the vibrating capacitors, Sony saved the money.

You should cure your OCD. You were just unlucky at the lottery, accept it.
Never said my electronics is silent, I said my PS5 doesn't have coil whine at very close position.
I hear too all those sound from the low buzz of a power supply to high pitch frequency sound from a CRT not even in the same room.
I can't sleep without without earplugs at night because every sound prevent me to sleep.
So, think what you want, you're free and it won't change anything for people owning a coil whine free PS5 !
It always have been a lottery, some people can't accept they have lost sometimes and think they are always right. Too damn hard for them to accept they are simply wrong, it's more easy to tell the problem is from others aka "you have bad earings I cannot be wrong" 😹

Also, yeah, if you put everything under a microscope, nothing is perfect. Everything is relative and perfection is only a point of view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom