• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Console Seemingly Teased by Sony

rofif

Banned
that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that the PS5 is already delivering basically the best you can get out of a rasterized image in games like TLOU Remake and Plague Tale

it's all small improvements in the detail from here on out for rasterization.

Mid gen refreshes are a thing since the GBC,
the Pro was launched 3 years after the PS4, which means at the end of this year would be the same timeframe as last gen to release one.

completely baked lighting and highly static game.
sure that kind of game can be highly polished to the max to make everything look super detailed and realistic.

as soon as you make a more open game with more dynamic objects, maybe even dynamic time of day, you can't get nearly as much fidelity not even on PS5

which is why a Pro version is needed. sadly you can't expect developers to actually tailor their games to the system anymore
Rasterization has mad it such a long way that it is cheaper to produce similar results compared to RT nowadays.
And yeah, TLOU2 might have a lot of stuff baked but if you had the same exact game but made with real RT and not baking, it would run like shit and not even look as good because the bake quality is very high in games like tlou2.
If you don't have dynamic time of day and such, You don't need real time RT.
And if you do there are still other ways to do it like baking 18 times of day in decima engine.

Raster still has a way to go and it's not peaking. I bet your ass if they made tlou3 with the same tech used in tlou2, but using ps5 power by the end of this gen, it would look gen ahead of tlou2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No matter what he'll saying something vague or decline a question like that. So it's a pointless question.

Makes no difference if a new PS5 model is in the works or not. The only time a company will say yes is when they do an official video and article telling about it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No matter what he'll saying something vague or decline a question like that. So it's a pointless question.

Makes no difference if a new PS5 model is in the works or not. The only time a company will say yes is when they do an official video and article telling about it.
But since he didn't kill it with a simple "We have no plans at this time to release a pro"....

jurassic park dinosaur GIF

Shiba Inu Dog GIF by KeepUpWithJazAndYumi

Azurro

Banned
I care because I like the idea of console being a one and done system. I don’t want it to become smartphone model once pro sells too well.
It totally is not ignore it and continue playing on your ps5. This is ignorant.
Of course I would buy pro model but this is still nonsense

Smartphones are one every year and the improvements are hardly earth shattering. A Pro console would provide at the very least 2x the performance, and would come at least 3 years after PS5's launch, that's very significant. Games are unfortunately not completely tailored towards one system anymore, game engines are designed to be very scalable, and whatever game has special emphasis on PS5's feature set, the hypothetical PS5 Pro would simply run those features faster. PS5/XSS/XSX would still be the great majority of the audience and devs would have to make sure the game performs well on them.

I don't see any downsides.

rofif

Banned
Smartphones are one every year and the improvements are hardly earth shattering. A Pro console would provide at the very least 2x the performance, and would come at least 3 years after PS5's launch, that's very significant. Games are unfortunately not completely tailored towards one system anymore, game engines are designed to be very scalable, and whatever game has special emphasis on PS5's feature set, the hypothetical PS5 Pro would simply run those features faster. PS5/XSS/XSX would still be the great majority of the audience and devs would have to make sure the game performs well on them.

I don't see any downsides.
Sure. If nothing change, a PRO console maybe wouldn't hurt but I feel, these will start coming more often and more exepensive.
And getting ps5 was tricky enough, so I don't even want to think about hunting next console :p

Banned
Rasterization has mad it such a long way that it is cheaper to produce similar results compared to RT nowadays.
And yeah, TLOU2 might have a lot of stuff baked but if you had the same exact game but made with real RT and not baking, it would run like shit and not even look as good because the bake quality is very high in games like tlou2.
If you don't have dynamic time of day and such, You don't need real time RT.
And if you do there are still other ways to do it like baking 18 times of day in decima engine.

Raster still has a way to go and it's not peaking. I bet your ass if they made tlou3 with the same tech used in tlou2, but using ps5 power by the end of this gen, it would look gen ahead of tlou2.

I disagree. TLOU2 looks like it does because they could hand place everything that's related to the lighting of the game.

as soon as you can't do that anymore you will lose a lot of fidelity with rasterization.

the only way we will see more detailed games on this generation is if those are also completely static with meticulously hand placed lights, baked shadows, GI and AO.

and sure if you do that you don't need raytracing at all. but if we want more ambitious games with bigger and/or more dynamic environments, the results will be equivalent to PS4 graphics with specific improvements to object density and drawdistance.

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC and Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 is basically the pinnacle of what a more open game can look like using rasterization only.

but with all of that being said. I personally would want mid gen refreshes simply due to the fact that those could offer what's currently the 30fps graphics modes, running at performance mode framerates.
meaning no longer would we have to either turn off raytracing or use a 1080p mode with reduced settings to get 60fps and raytracing.

it would also mean that games might not need to turn off the majority of RT features on console in order to run at all (see Control, Witcher, Cyberpunk etc)

Last edited:
People: So um Sony...when you gonna start making native ps5 games?

Sony (answer): Here buy a ps5 pro for your ps4 games...I mean *cough* ps5 games! :D
Kind of crazy how people like to pretend crossgen ps4/ps5 game Horizon Forbidden West doesnt shyt everything(except Callistol Protocol) to release when it comes to graphics. Its like someone trying not to acknowledge the winner after they lost a race, because they have too big of an ego to admit defeat.

Horizon Zero Dawn Snake GIF by PlayStation

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I disagree. TLOU2 looks like it does because they could hand place everything that's related to the lighting of the game.

as soon as you can't do that anymore you will lose a lot of fidelity with rasterization.

the only way we will see more detailed games on this generation is if those are also completely static with meticulously hand placed lights, baked shadows, GI and AO.

and sure if you do that you don't need raytracing at all. but if we want more ambitious games with bigger and/or more dynamic environments, the results will be equivalent to PS4 graphics with specific improvements to object density and drawdistance.

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC and Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 is basically the pinnacle of what a more open game can look like using rasterization only.

but with all of that being said. I personally would want mid gen refreshes simply due to the fact that those could offer what's currently the 30fps graphics modes, running at performance mode framerates.
meaning no longer would we have to either turn off raytracing or use a 1080p mode with reduced settings to get 60fps and raytracing.

it would also mean that games might not need to turn off the majority of RT features on console in order to run at all (see Control, Witcher, Cyberpunk etc)
You are quoting two PS5 games that were designed around PS4 constraints though… not that I think RT is a waste of time and hybrid engines a much closer feature.

RTGI and RT shadows are making for much more believable worlds, PS4 (heck some PS3 titles) had enough geometric and environment complexity to be transformed by dedicating more CPU power to AI/Physics and GPU power to lighting and shading (PBR pipelines, HDR, RT for lighting, reflections, shadows, etc… even in hybrid modes). You do need to remove the shackles of last generation HW and a swath of low performance PC’s though.

For me games like Spider-man are transformed by even the cheaper RT reflections they have in the PS5 version to the point I play it at 30 FPS (now 40 FPS, thanks Insomniac) to get the furthest draw distance and complexity in the reflections: cube maps just will just not do in that kind of dynamic city environment once you see the RT reflections: maybe if they spent a lot of time hand placing a lot more cube maps to be letter represent the street level detail you would only miss the reflections of characters (which does add to the atmosphere a lot, but the deal breaker is being inside an alley and seeing the sea reflected in a shop mirror for example, things like that).

Also choosing the quality mode not to lower the general draw distance and density of NPC and objects. Next generation this may not be a problem anymore as the difference between quality and performance mode will change (quality mode may be the 60 FPS mode perhaps and performance being 120 FPS and above, I do hope they will not target 8K for a while longer, humongous waste of pixels… and cables… 8K@120 Hz with HDR and raw RGB signals… yikes 😱).

Guess it could happen, but this generation's situation isn't like the last one, where devs were complaining about the hardware for their big aaa games, plus the economy is much worse now, and hardware is expensive which leads me to believe a new iteration isn't likely for anyone this gen.

If it does happen, count me out because I'm satisfied with the power level of these systems, unlike last generation.

People: So um Sony...when you gonna start making native ps5 games?

Sony (answer): Here buy a ps5 pro for your ps4 games...I mean *cough* ps5 games! :D
Games like Returnal, Ratchet, Forbidden West (one of the best looking open world games out there), Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, etc... must be from my imagination then.

samoilaaa

Won’t be a pro, we’ve barely tapped the potential of the base model. Most likely a slim.
what potential is that ? stop talking like it has some fucking ace up its sleeve

with 10tf you wont be able to run games on 30 fps , high settings , rtx on in 2024+

let alone 60 fps , maybe 1080p low/medium settings

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’ve owned all PlayStation consoles but won’t budge on this one until it’s a smaller size. It’s just too big and ridiculous.

It’s the combination of paying that much to store something that big in my living room. It’s too much.

what potential is that ? stop talking like it has some fucking ace up its sleeve

with 10tf you wont be able to run games on 30 fps , high settings , rtx on in 2024+

Dude, calm yourself, they've only been around for 2 years. It doesn't have an Ace up it's sleeve but 2 years isn't even a full development cycle for a game. As of now they've had a lot of cross-gen games and soon we should be getting games that aren't. All I'm saying is, we haven't seen the potential of the PS5, and I'll even say we haven't seen the potential of the Xbox Series X as well. The hardware shortages have affected the length of Cross-gen compatibility, surely. But a pro model seems kind of crazy as last gen's consoles were somewhat underspec'd and got their refreshes 4 years after release to meet 4K demands.

Also an RTX card alone, without a CPU or the rest of the PC is expensive as fuck, we won't get that in the console space. Otherwise you would be paying $1,500 for your console. This goes for the XT series cards also. They're $900+

Let's also consider what game developers were able to do with the PS4 at 1.84TF base and 4.2TF on the pro.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

It's a videogame console. No on expects them to be the best at anything.

The best thing about consoles is how great the games are when fully optimized for them. That's why we're still seeing games like TLOU2, Horizon Forbidden West and Ragnarok running perfectly on a 2013 PS4.

Saying the PS5 has reached its full potential only means that we have games targeting 100% of their hardware...which we haven't seen. I think it's quite clear what the other user meant.

i'm waiting for a PS5 Slim.

I’ve owned all PlayStation consoles but won’t budge on this one until it’s a smaller size. It’s just too big and ridiculous.

It’s the combination of paying that much to store something that big in my living room. It’s too much.
same. well, the only PS consoles i've not owned is the PS4 Pro and PS5. hated the PS4 Pro and thought that sony could never release something as awful ever again but they outdone themselves with the gigantic curvy PS5.

i'm gonna need a slimmed down PS5.

Last edited:

Housh

It's an important year cause big titles being released, supply chain fixed, dual sense edge, and psvr2. $$$$$$$ony

Top Bottom