• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New poster for REVIII found in steam, Chris Redfield is a... ?!?!!

I really don’t like these games as Resident Evil games.

If this had been a new IP, or spin-off, like it was introduced as, I’d be fine with them. On their own merits, they’re really cool.

As RE games, though, everything thematical about them seems to miss the point of the series so far.
Must be hard not go into threads about games you've got no interest in.....

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Furry edition confirmed

Bjye.gif

Last edited:
Must be hard to have a reading disability.
Come on we've done this song and dance already in the previous thread, you RE7 nay sayers can't accept the fact that the series needed a fresh new start just like it did back when RE4 came out and triggered the tank controls/fixed camera crowed.

It must be a shitty job being a dev when you can't express your creativity or try to shake up a stale franchise.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Come on we've done this song and dance already in the previous thread, you RE7 nay sayers can't accept the fact that the series needed a fresh new start just like it did back when RE4 came out and triggered the tank controls/fixed camera crowed.

It must be a shitty job being a dev when you can't express your creativity or try to shake up a stale franchise.

I don’t think anyone is nay-saying, lol. I think people have varied opinions about some very weird Resident Evil games, and some people, a sizable amount even, can’t seem to handle any take, that isn’t bootlicking these two games.

I also think people are going to continue having those opinions, and have back to RE4, and you should get over it.

I don’t think anyone is nay-saying, lol. I think people have varied opinions about some very weird Resident Evil games, and some people, a sizable amount even, can’t seem to handle any take, that isn’t bootlicking these two games.

I also think people are going to continue having those opinions, and have back to RE4, and you should get over it.
Dis is not a true RE game hur dur! even though it has all the elements of RE from save rooms and item mangment to jump scares and easter eggs but yeah NOT an RE game, what an opinion!

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

I think you are in the minority on this one. Like others have said similar to what Santa monica had to do with God of war franchise Capcom had to do to RE. You still have your classic RE games? RE2 remake, RE3 remake, RE4 remake is on the way. You still have rumblings of them continuing revelations in some form.

I mean how many zombie based RE games do you need? And I would argue Revelations dont even have pure zombies, they are like mutated sea creatures in the first game, and then theres tons of weird variations in second game.

Retelling or doing a new take on a series thats had multiple animated feature films, live action films(which butchered the game stories). On top of countless spin offs, and remakes, it's time for a fresh take. RE 7 is that fresh take and honestly pay's a little tribute to how tense the first couple RE games in the series were.

RE8 seems to take what they did in RE7 and add elements from other RE4. I'm all for it. Not everyone is going to like it, but sales, and reception wise most people seem to like it enough that they are going to continue to do this off shoot storyline.

If chris is a bad guy because he's a werewolf I think thats fucking rad and ballsy as fuck. And honestly who knows where this leads.

But they seem along with many others to be ok with them doing both classic RE games and this new reimagined storyline.

I think he's too important to the overall series to do away with him entirely. My guess is it'll be a RE4 situation where just as Leon got infected then cured, so will Chris.

New strain of T Virus, Chris got infected, end of game a cure.

We'll see.

Papacheeks

Banned
So he has to be a bad werewolf? Why is this? 😅

I'm saying his actions are being controlled by the wolf. Hence why he shoots the wife in the trailer. You wonder if he's changed because of it. Imagine if he's the nemesis/werewolf that hunts you when the sun goes down. As game goes on you find out he's being controlled, and find a way to cure him. Then he becomes a ally.

Him being a werewolf is just fucking cool.

Camreezie

A lot of things in the last few resident evil's sound really shit out of context I'm waiting to see where they go with this

Zephir

Is this gonna be another Ada Wong/Carla Radames thing? Like, he looks like chris but he's not and then turns into a thing?

And since RE6 plot was "Simmons does genocide because he didn't get laid", maybe RE8 villain just wanted Chris for herself, but he still loved Boulder-chan

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think you are in the minority on this one. Like others have said similar to what Santa monica had to do with God of war franchise Capcom had to do to RE. You still have your classic RE games? RE2 remake, RE3 remake, RE4 remake is on the way. You still have rumblings of them continuing revelations in some form.

I mean how many zombie based RE games do you need? And I would argue Revelations dont even have pure zombies, they are like mutated sea creatures in the first game, and then theres tons of weird variations in second game.

Retelling or doing a new take on a series thats had multiple animated feature films, live action films(which butchered the game stories). On top of countless spin offs, and remakes, it's time for a fresh take. RE 7 is that fresh take and honestly pay's a little tribute to how tense the first couple RE games in the series were.

RE8 seems to take what they did in RE7 and add elements from other RE4. I'm all for it. Not everyone is going to like it, but sales, and reception wise most people seem to like it enough that they are going to continue to do this off shoot storyline.

If chris is a bad guy because he's a werewolf I think thats fucking rad and ballsy as fuck. And honestly who knows where this leads.

But they seem along with many others to be ok with them doing both classic RE games and this new reimagined storyline.

I really don’t think I am.

Doing something new /= doing anything new, without rhyme or reason.

This applies to RE4 as well. Other series frequently reinvent themselves, but by keeping their bases, the very things fans love them for, intact, and expressing that in a whole new way.

A frequent answer to RE7 criticism here, is that the critic themselves must not ever like anything new. That’s false. What’s being criticized is how Capcom chose to go about something new.

Astral Dog

I really don’t like these games as Resident Evil games.

If this had been a new IP, or spin-off, like it was introduced as, I’d be fine with them. On their own merits, they’re really cool.

As RE games, though, everything thematical about them seems to miss the point of the series so far.
What would be the point of the series exactly 🤔

For me they are amazing RE games precisely because they go for the roots (survival horror managment, focus on atmosphere and isolation while still having some action element, shoutout to famous horror movies) without the usual characters, setting or lore baggage we come to expect,i believed the series needed a good shake up after 6 and im so happy Capcom listened. RE is not just about BOW terrorists, Leon or Jill or Ada or even Umbrella its about these other elements that make a spooky, but cinematic horror game.

VILLAGE will go for typical gothic setting with RE twist and can't wait to play it. Its not really about Christopher becoming a werewolf its about exploring a creepy village and castle with witches, werewolves and strange medieval horrors :messenger_fearful:

hell im so happy for the team that found their thing and deserved success finally not having to live under the shadow of Shinji Mikami's RE4 masterpiece for many years

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
What would be the point of the series exactly 🤔

For me they are amazing RE games precisely because they go for the roots (survival horror managment, focus on atmosphere and isolation while still having some action element, shoutout to famous horror movies) without the usual characters, setting or lore baggage we come to expect,i believed the series needed a good shake up after 6 and im so happy Capcom listened. RE is not just about BOW terrorists, Leon or Jill or Ada or even Umbrella its about these other elements that make a spooky, but cinematic horror game.

VILLAGE will go for typical gothic setting with RE twist and can't wait to play it. Its not really about Christopher becoming a werewolf its about exploring a creepy village and castle with witches, werewolves and strange medieval horrors :messenger_fearful:

hell im so happy for the team that found their thing and deserved success finally not having to live under Shinji Mikami's RE4 masterpiece for many years

Broad strokes? Not serial killer rednecks with viruses as an excuse later on. Not werewolves.

Even delving into the miniature details, it’s all wrong, to the point where not knowing the game, you’d think you were playing a totally different series, with some inspirations from Resident Evil.

It’s interesting you few keep bringing up a few gameplay inspirations from classic RE, as some kind of justification for this, when as has been said, the problem is largely thematic, and the game is so radically transformed at large.

It’s more interesting that you’re completely unable to admit that, in the face of such an obvious change. If you love something new, by all means. But you don’t have to pretend it’s faithful to the old, or a good successor. RE4 is one of my favorite games ever, but I wouldn’t know where to begin justifying that as a proper sequel, nor would I feel the urge to.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Broad strokes? Not serial killer rednecks with viruses as an excuse later on. Not werewolves.

Even delving into the miniature details, it’s all wrong, to the point where not knowing the game, you’d think you were playing a totally different series, with some inspirations from Resident Evil.

It’s interesting you few keep bringing up a few gameplay inspirations from classic RE, as some kind of justification for this, when as has been said, the problem is largely thematic, and the game is so radically transformed at large.

It’s more interesting that you’re completely unable to admit that, in the face of such an obvious change. If you love something new, by all means. But you don’t have to pretend it’s faithful to the old, or a good successor. RE4 is one of my favorite games ever, but I wouldn’t know where to begin justifying that as a proper sequel, nor would I feel the urge to.
Ok.. agree to disagree.

The new game is about exploring a mansion with zombie esque monsters (even if they kinda suck) solving puzzles along the way with serial killers,as you manage your inventory , and its not totally linear (i mean its not REmake, but the closest since 4) i really like the first person as it adds more detail/immersion to the world, the main character isn't old military obsessed Chris at least, the family theme is pretty good i really liked the characters, and the mansion setting is classic southern gothic. 🏚

No it isn't the same but i love it <3 im glad its getting a sequel at least as its something special

Forgot about the return of the safe rooms 🥺

Last edited:

SinDelta

Is Resident Evil Village going to be a howling good or a howling bad time?

I can already see the meme reviews.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
No it isn't the same but i love it

This is all that matters. I get that perspective. I had a great time watching Pewdiepie play through the whole thing, some of the most I have ever laughed at his horror-induced slow slide into madness, and once I work up the courage (stalker games and I don’t mix well, lol) I’ll probably play it too.

I just don’t consider it much of an RE game. There ought to be room for that perspective, even if the game itself is likable.

Astral Dog

This is all that matters. I get that perspective. I had a great time watching Pewdiepie play through the whole thing, some of the most I have ever laughed at his horror-induced slow slide into madness, and once I work up the courage (stalker games and I don’t mix well, lol) I’ll probably play it too.

I just don’t consider it much of an RE game. There ought to be room for that perspective, even if the game itself is likable.
Alot of people trash 7 because they don't consider it 'real' Resident Evil or call it 'low quality' thats when i get annoyed lol

kiphalfton

RE7's success says otherwise. Just sit on back and enjoy the ride.

RE7 was for all intents and purposes a reboot... Outside finding newspaper clippings about racoon city and showing "Chris" at the end, it could have stood on its own and rebooted the series. But Capcom couldn't help themselves and had to include a series veteran in it (and what's more in a position that makes no sense). Capcom also couldn't keep it in their pants with the over the top action-oriented combat, ala the Zoe DLC and ship segment of the game.

poodaddy

I don't know, werewolves are cool, and at this point it's not like they can really fuck Chris's character up any more than they already have, so I say let it rip.

Top Bottom