• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Snap |OT| Poké Photo Vacation

Komatsu

POKEMON-SNAP-LOGO.jpg

pokemon-snap-letter.png

Seek out and take in-game photographs of Pokémon in their native environments in the New Pokémon Snap™ game, only for the Nintendo Switch™ system! Snap photos from the NEO-ONE as you you encounter and research lively wild Pokémon. You might see unexpected expressions or behaviors—Pokémon patrolling their territory, playing, or lurking in out-of-the-way spots.

Investigate the mysterious Illumina phenomenon

Travel to the islands that make up the Lental region. In this region, some of the Pokémon and vegetation will appear to have a special glow. Research these Pokémon alongside Professor Mirror as you explore dense jungles, vast deserts, and more! Your observations of Pokémon thriving in the wild may help unravel the truth behind the Illumina phenomenon. The Pokémon pictures you take will be used to build your very own Pokémon Photodex!

Save, edit, and share your favorite Pokémon photos

Save photos to your personal in-game album to edit and adjust them. When you complete a course, you can adjust the brightness, blur, zoom and other aspects of your photo in Re-Snap mode. Then, add stickers, frames, and filters to add a personal touch. Share your favorite photos with family and friends in-game *. You can also see what kinds of photos everyone else is taking. See something you like? Award a Sweet! medal.

This new game brings the gameplay of the 1999 Pokémon Snap game for the Nintendo 64™ system to life on the Nintendo Switch system with unknown islands to discover and different Pokémon to see!

Photograph lively wild Pokémon in their natural habitats as you research and explore unknown islands. Hop in your trusty travel pod, the NEO-ONE, and journey through a variety of environments such as beaches, jungles, and deserts to capture previously-unseen Pokémon behaviors. You can even play a melody or toss Pokémon a delicious fluffruit to catch their attention. Photos you take can also be used to fill out your very own Pokémon Photodex!

Your photos are scored based on the Pokémon’s poses, how large they appear, how directly they’re facing you, and other factors. You may even snap a four star-worthy photo if you catch rare Pokémon behaviors. These scores can be shared via in-game rankings* so you can compare your shots with other Pokémon photographers around the world.

In the Lental region, Pokémon and vegetation have sometimes been seen to glow. Meet Professor Mirror and work with him to uncover the mystery of the Illumina Phenomenon. Your photos and observations may be key to learning about this strange occurrence.

pokemon-snap-media.png

pokemon-snap-screens.png

Credits Flavor text, images and all other media are (c) of Nintendo and were used here to propagandize the game's release.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This weekend belongs to Returnal, but I really hope this turns out well for the backlog.

Quasicat

I originally bought the N64 version on the Wii Virtual Console for $10. It was really good and was the right price. I don’t know if I can justify the asking price of this game, and Pokémon stuff really does not go on sale very often.
That printer device looks really awesome, if not just for my Animal Crossing photos.

Sejan

My only concern for this game is the amount of content. I’m really hoping this game has tons of content. Please have enough content to be worth it. Fingers crossed.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I have a spare voucher, so might just grab this for the kids. Hopefully it plays well enough without reading comprehension.

engstra

Excited to check this out at a later stage. Absolutely love the original but playing Returnal for the foreseeable future.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Let us know what your kids think. Considering buying this for my niece but really don't want to spend 60 bucks for 4h of entertainment for her.

If they are interested, I'll let you know. Not wasting the voucher unless they are REALLY into it. Which I'm pretty sure they will say they are, no matter what they think of it.

Kids kinda want stuff.

supernova8

Banned
Never understood why people enjoyed the original. I thought it was boring. Can’t believe it got a sequel.
I loved the original as a kid on N64... but then I guess I loved a lot of stuff when I was a kid.

Now I just love kids.... just kidding..
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by Domino’s UK and ROI

Bragr

Banned
Been playing a few hours now, it's good. I highly recommend turning up the camera speed in the settings since the camera is very slow on default.

I was unsure about the game since, frankly, it looks weird as fucking hell, especially when you haven't played the first. But it's surprisingly fun to go on Pokemon safari's and take photos.

It takes a bit too long with the professor, the way he goes through your photos gets tiresome, and it makes no sense how your photos get scored, but so far it's a relaxing well-made game.

kiryani

I’m enjoying this, never played the original.

One question,

When you auto submit your photos. Does it submit the photos with the highest score?

Regarding game time, between me and my gf - we are 13 hours in, and we haven’t really even done that many maps. We’ve been max completing the maps one by one , I think we have a good few maps left.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
There is surprisingly a lot to this.. having fun so far. Im sure the novelty will wear off soon. But it is pretty meaty with quests.. etc.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's Nintendo. You know you'll be able to beat the game and shoot all the pokemon to your heart's contents in 6h tops.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read this year.
yes Nintendo usual let’s the main game be somewhat not too difficult but there is always a higher level of difficulty to get 100%. Id liked to see you 100% Mario odyssey or botw in 6 hours.

Last edited:

Fbh

Never understood why people enjoyed the original. I thought it was boring. Can’t believe it got a sequel.

As a kid I enjoyed it mostly because it gave me a glimpse at how I imaged a fully fledged home console version of the Pokémon world might look like.

Never cared too much for the pictures themselves.

20 years later it seems like not much has changed. We have the tech now but Gamefreak doesn't give a fuck so it's still a nice way to see how a Pokémon game might look like.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Even four years after Zelda's release, there are things in the game you never thought possible. Here is another list of amazing things to show off to your friends.

In the video above, we cover 48 tips and tricks that aren’t quite as well known, ranging from secrets to glitches, some that are pretty simple and others that are fairly complex. With Breath of the Wild having been out for four years at this point, players have found some amazing things, intended or not, that keep the game and its sense of discovery feeling fresh.

Of note, we point out some secrets in Kakariko Village and Gerudo Town that the developers left that aren’t quite as well known, as well as strange techniques, like how to permanently disable a Guardian and cover yourself with impaled arrows. With Breath of the Wild’s highly anticipated sequel still nowhere to be found, these techniques should help you continue to push what you're able to do in the original game.

Last edited:

Sejan

What are some examples of quests?
They are mini puzzles. They usually serve as hints to take pictures of hidden Pokémon or interactions that you might miss otherwise. This is helpful because every Pokémon has 4 different interactions to take a picture of.

The really early first area quest says, “Hey! I just heard Dodrio can fly! I’ve never seen one do that before. Have you?” It includes a picture of a Dodrio standing at a certain spot along the path.

Solution: throw an energy ball thing at Dodrio and it jumps. Submit a photo of the jump.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Struggling to find all of the Legendary Pokemon in the Lental Region? Our guide will show you exactly how to make them appear and get the best snaps!

Spoiler-free timestamps:

0:00 Intro & Required Story Legendary (Aurus Illumina spot) (Xerneas)
0:33 Founja Jungle Legendary (Mew)
1:21 Florio Nature Park Legendary (Shaymin)
2:43 Elsewhere Forest Legendary (Celebi)
3:29 Lental Seafloor Legendary (Lugia)
4:22 Maricopia Reef Legendary (Manaphy)
5:43 Shiver Snowfields Legendary (Suicune)
7:13 Fireflow Volcano Legendary (Ho-Oh)
8:48 Outaway Cave Legendary (Diancie)
9:20 Ruins of Rememberance Legendary (Jirachi)

So whats gafs opinion now that its been out awhile? Trash? Worse than the first? Or worth my time?

I feel like talk for this fell off a cliff as soon as it released.

Last edited:

engstra

So whats gafs opinion now that its been out awhile? Trash? Worse than the first? Or worth my time?

I feel like talk for this fell off a cliff as soon as it released.
I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment. It's the perfect chillout game. As a huge fan of the original I feel like this one is maybe a bit more shallow? In the original there was quite a lot of puzzle solving in using your items to cause stuff to happen in the world. After playing the game for 10ish hours maybe I haven't noticed as much interactivity, I feel more just as an observer. It also has an extensive mode for editing the photos you've taken, adding stickers etc which I couldn't care less about.

So while I'm having a really good time with it and I hope this release means more in the future, I do miss the sense of adventure and discovery the first game had.

Top Bottom