• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New platform launches to bring TV ads to console games

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
You are lying to yourself if you think it will end there.
Anyone that uses the word hope in the context I did is pretty well aware of the likely realities, and that they're not good. That's why they're using the word that way. They're not lying to themselves and likely don't believe in a positive outcome. If they did, they'd just say, guys, it's not going to happen, don't worry. Those people, they're lying to themselves.

Faithless83

Banned

After months of testing, marketers are finally going to be able to start running video ads within console and PC games.

Why it matters: In-game advertising, a linchpin of mobile gaming, could be very lucrative for console and PC developers. But studios have been hesitant to adopt them, fearing that a clunky ad experience would mess with user engagement.

Driving the news: A first-of-its-kind in-game advertising platform called playerWON launches this week, allowing big-name marketers that are used to running splashy TV ads the ability to target younger demographics with similar types of spots that will run in video games.

• The platform, which is owned and operated by Simulmedia, a TV ad tech company, will let users determine whether they want to watch a 15 or 30-second video ad in exchange for being able to unlock exclusive gaming perks.
  • Simulmedia has struck deals with some of the world's biggest gaming studios, including Electronic Arts (EA) and Tencent's Hi-Rez Studios, its EVP, Gaming and OTT Dave Madden told Axios.
How it works: Simulmedia, which has been testing console gaming ads for over a year, collects and vets ad spots from big brands that would typically run on TV.

• Using Simulmedia's technology, developers can code those ads into their games. They then can decide which rewards to provide to gamers in exchange for them to agree to watch an ad.
  • Through its ad server, Simulmedia is able to see whether an ad is completed. It then sends a notification that you can release rewards to the player. Rewards can vary from in-game currency to skins (costumes) for gaming avatars.
  • In its research, Simulmedia has found that players are willing to watch up to 10 ads per day in order to unlock free perks. The company is able to calculate how much video inventory it needs to provide gaming companies by multiplying a games daily active user (DAU) count by 10.
Be smart: "The acceleration of Free-to-play (F2P) games across Console and PC, like Fortnite, Apex Legends, Call of Duty Warzone and Roblox, means that audiences and play time have seen explosive growth, yet the vast majority of players, over 90%, never spend money F2P games," Madden said.

The big picture: Marketers need a way to reach younger gaming audiences ages 18-34 that are mostly cord-cutters. In-game ads are cheaper and more efficient than brand integrations, which is what advertisers have working with to-date.

• Because that audience is so highly sought-after, streamers are able to charge a premium for digital TV ads that target younger consumers. In-game ads, which are controlled by the gamer, are much cheaper, per Madden.
  • Data from one of Simulmedia's pilot campaigns with Smite, a F2P multiplayer battle arena game from Tencent's Hi-Rez Studios, shows that players were much more likely (22%) to play a game and spend money within the game (11%), if they watched in-game ads that gave them access to more gaming perks.
By the numbers: A 2020 analysis from Morgan Stanley finds that that reward-based console advertising could reach $2 billion even if only 45% of gamers opt-in

• Ads that run twice per hour would have an average cost per thousand (CPM) of roughly $20 — which is dramatically cheaper than what most marketers would pay for to run ads on TV or even via some streaming services.
What's next: Madden said the goal is to contiune building out a network of advertisers and games that they can connect through its platform, growing the nascent in-console ad market.

• It plans to launch in-game ads in roughly a dozen more games by the year's end.
Spongebob Squarepants Popcorn GIF
Thank you mobile games.
Fuck you guys who said "mobile won't affect traditional games",

Watch it, Gamepass evangelists... this will come and bite us in the ass in the future too.

Publishers will make millions when no one buys those games, although it opens new doors when you can play a game for free because of them.

I mean this literally, I will never see these ads. Never. I'll never play a game with an ad like this under any circumstances. If the games I like go away in favor of ones like this, and in this hypothetical world there are only games with these ads left, I'll simply stop gaming.

Do the benefits of technology outweighs the harms? 10 years ago, I would've argued, "of course they do!" Now, I think I was just wrong.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I'm good with my game collection so I'll stick around playing old ones while avoiding new games with forced ads for a long time.

spawn

So basically if you don't watch the ad, you won't be able to unlock the exclusive perks? If so, that sounds optional to me which I can easily ignore since im not going to care about unlocking in game perks.
No, that is where you're wrong. It's bullshit. If you give them just an inch then they will take a fucking mile

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

EA has since told PC Gamer that the reports are false.

“Following incorrect reports suggesting that we are looking to introduce ‘TV-style’ commercials into our games, we wanted to clarify that in-game advertising for console games is not something we’re currently looking at, or have signed any agreements to implement,” an EA spokesperson told the site. “Creating the best possible player experience remains our priority focus.”

mcjmetroid

Ha they're totally going to try this with FIFa and games like that first.

I still wont buy games with Microtransactions in them. Luckily for me it still hasn't effected any game I care about yet.

This though wow. As if I can be repelled even further from an EA game lol

they did this in a few games already, Burnout Paradise was one of them :messenger_face_steam: didn't work out to well if I remember

Last edited:

NahaNago

I always thought that they would simply would just buy all the billboards in a game or a massive wall that everyone would go by and plaster their brand name on it.

Having gamers watch a 30 second ad for some in game currency seems like the next step in marketing instead it seems.

Top Bottom