• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

FingerBang

God I love my 4090, its the most amazing halo product ever...

But that 4080? Holy shit what a horribly priced product.

I dont get Nvidia's branding choices. This is how things should have been:

4090 should have been called a Titan - priced as it (performance to price is actually a great value)

4080 should have been called 4090 and priced at $1000

4070 TI should have been called 4080 - Priced at $800

The 4090 should not have been advertised in the same line as the rest, the Titan name should have stayed and allowed them to not have the 4090 just embarrassing the 4080 in price to performance ration.
That would have been terrible value. What a performance bump would that have been from a 3080? 20%?

Don't forget the 4080 and 4070ti are the equivalent of 3070ti and 3060ti when it comes to chip size compared to 4090. I get we got a bump in performance last gen compared to the travesty the 20 series was so we're willing to forget that and that's ok. Chip name doesn't tell the full picture.

To add to my point, the 4090 is great value only if compared to the previous generation. The 4080 is bad value only if compared to the current generation. Compared to the 4090 is pretty much slightly better value.

Last gen the 3090 was the stupid buy. It wasn't that much faster of a 3080 for almost double the price. TERRIBLE value. This gen is the other way around, but only because of the 4080 pricing.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
That would have been terrible value. What a performance bump would that have been from a 3080? 20%?

Don't forget the 4080 and 4070ti are the equivalent of 3070ti and 3060ti when it comes to chip size compared to 4090. I get we got a bump in performance last gen compared to the travesty the 20 series was so we're willing to forget that and that's ok. Chip name doesn't tell the full picture.

To add to my point, the 4090 is great value only if compared to the previous generation. The 4080 is bad value only if compared to the current generation. Compared to the 4090 is pretty much slightly better value.

Last gen the 3090 was the stupid buy. It wasn't that much faster of a 3080 for almost double the price. TERRIBLE value. This gen is the other way around, but only because of the 4080 pricing.

True, but its just a bad card no matter what, couldn't think of where to put it, it honestly shouldn't even exist.

FingerBang

True, but its just a bad card no matter what, couldn't think of where to put it, it honestly shouldn't even exist.
It should be priced around $500 (let's say $600 now that prices have gone up) since it has the same performance or the previous gen top tier. That's how it used to be... :\

CuNi

I still remember the days of old when I got a 970 OC card on release for 350€ and the only thing above that was the 980 before the 980ti hit the market...
Wondering where GPUs will be in 2-4 gens since there is only so much die-shrinking you can do. Even when leaving behind the nm scale and entering angstrom, I see little gain from further and further shrinks and more and more gains from major architectural changes. I wonder if MCM will reduce the price or at least flatten the price growth compared to monolithic long term.

I still remember the days of old when I got a 970 OC card on release for 350€ and the only thing above that was the 980 before the 980ti hit the market...
Wondering where GPUs will be in 2-4 gens since there is only so much die-shrinking you can do. Even when leaving behind the nm scale and entering angstrom, I see little gain from further and further shrinks and more and more gains from major architectural changes. I wonder if MCM will reduce the price or at least flatten the price growth compared to monolithic long term.
To be fair technology lasts longer now. I actually dabbled in PC gaming in the late 90s and it was a shit show.

Guaranteed you can ride out the entire PS5 lifecycle with a 30XX.
Nvidia doesn't want you to but you can buy a GPU once every 5 years.

CuNi

To be fair technology lasts longer now. I actually dabbled in PC gaming in the late 90s and it was a shit show.

Guaranteed you can ride out the entire PS5 lifecycle with a 30XX.
Nvidia doesn't want you to but you can buy a GPU once every 5 years.

Yes I am very well aware that it will be more than enough.

But I have to disagree with your ending statement. NVidia surely wishes for everyone to replace their GPUs every new gen, that's how they make money.

Especially now with Raytracing on the rise, gen to gen differences are growing faster and faster. It doesn't help that devs constantly introduce more and more ridiculous setting profiles for a minimal IQ uplift that cripples especially older cards.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
God I love my 4090, its the most amazing halo product ever...

But that 4080? Holy shit what a horribly priced product.

I dont get Nvidia's branding choices. This is how things should have been:

4090 should have been called a Titan - priced as it (performance to price is actually a great value)

4080 should have been called 4090 and priced at $1000

4070 TI should have been called 4080 - Priced at $800

The 4090 should not have been advertised in the same line as the rest, the Titan name should have stayed and allowed them to not have the 4090 just embarrassing the 4080 in price to performance ration.
Lower the prices maybe 200 more and I agree even more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's now December and the 4090 is still near impossible to find. People thought that things would get better when mining died but it looks like bots have ruined the future.

Evga was the only ones doing a queue system and now they've left the videocard business. Why is no one else doing it? That's the ONLY way I was able to get my 30 series card during the pandemic.

Last edited:

CuNi

It's now December and the 4090 is still near impossible to find. People thought that things would get better when mining died but it looks like bots have ruined the future.

Evga was the only ones doing a queue system and now they've left the videocard business. Why is no one else doing it? That's the ONLY way I was able to get my 30 series card during the pandemic.

Did you check multiple retailers?
Which country are you checking?

I am asking because here in Germany, 2 out of the 3 most known online Hardware stores have 4090s stock sitting around.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

I am asking because here in Germany, 2 out of the 3 most known online Hardware stores have 4090s stock sitting around.
USA, was mainly thinking about the founders edition

Last edited:

skneogaf

I registered my interest with nvidia and within a few days they sent me a direct link to buy a founders edition through geforce experience.

Reallink

In the US every 4090 has sold out instantaneously. Literally gone before product pages can even update. Even if you were to camp stock trackers all day you'd never get one cause there's several thousand people who instantly try to buy the dozen units they get in a restock. The last random Best Buy drop in the middle of the day had like 2300 people add a single SKU to cart in less than 1 minute. It's worse than the height of the 3XXX crypto boom here in the US. Nvidia could have easily moved a million 4090's by now if they had sufficient supply. I'm not sure why they're continuing to send inventory to the parts of EU and Australia where the prices are so high they're not selling, they'd be gone in the US before they even hit the shore.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm not sure why they're continuing to send inventory to the parts of EU and Australia where the prices are so high they're not selling, they'd be gone in the US before they even hit the shore.
Is it not selling? Where I’m at you might find some Zotac card but the cards people actually want if they’re forced to pay this much are nowhere to be found.
I saw a Suprim Liquid X today though. I want it. Maybe another generation, I think it looks super slick.

CuNi

In the US every 4090 has sold out instantaneously. Literally gone before product pages can even update. Even if you were to camp stock trackers all day you'd never get one cause there's several thousand people who instantly try to buy the dozen units they get in a restock. The last random Best Buy drop in the middle of the day had like 2300 people add a single SKU to cart in less than 1 minute. It's worse than the height of the 3XXX crypto boom here in the US. Nvidia could have easily moved a million 4090's by now if they had sufficient supply. I'm not sure why they're continuing to send inventory to the parts of EU and Australia where the prices are so high they're not selling, they'd be gone in the US before they even hit the shore.

Excuse my wording, but what the fuck?
How do you guys keep buying those GPUs for those overpriced prices!?
I'm glad they are not selling over here at all. NVIDIA needs to get a reality check and stop with those absurd prices.
Even the 30XX-series was already way overpriced.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Man the difference between 4090 vs 4080 in my country is whole 5k CZK (~215 USD) because there are no FEs here, so I don't know who would buy the 4080. With 3080 vs 3090, the 3090 was like double the price.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Materiel.net, one of the biggest retailer here in France and the 4090 is selling well they are all out of stock, some model with availability within 7-15 days but you can be sure they will be sold within minutes

image.png

Compared to the 4080 which can still be found

image.png

But those price, the devaluation of the Euro hits hard.

night13x

It makes me wonder if this is part of nvidia's plan to push sales of RTX 30 series sales to deplete inventory levels. Nvidia greed doubling down after all their mining customers died out.

HoofHearted

It makes me wonder if this is part of nvidia's plan to push sales of RTX 30 series sales to deplete inventory levels. Nvidia greed doubling down after all their mining customers died out.
its exactly what it is… they noted this plan on the last earnings call a few months back.

Reallink

No, the high end 30 series (3080 and above) are long gone, filter Newegg and Amazon by first party seller. 95% of SKUs are sold out and the 1 or 2 available are still hundreds more than the FE msrp. To date the only discounting seen on 3XXXs was EVGA's firesell, which manage to clear their entire inventory in less than a day with only modest price cuts. The surplus, if one exists at all, is in the low end desktop and/or laptop chips.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I am in the process of receiving all my components for my new build....by Tuesday I should have everything with the exception of one major part...the GPU. I am wanting a 4090 and since I have been out of work due to an injury I have had time to spam sites, F5'ng to where the button is wearing out and for the last 3-4 weeks NOTHING! I am in the U.S. and I have yet to be even attempt to add it to my cart because I have yet to see one available.

GHG

Gold Member
I am in the process of receiving all my components for my new build....by Tuesday I should have everything with the exception of one major part...the GPU. I am wanting a 4090 and since I have been out of work due to an injury I have had time to spam sites, F5'ng to where the button is wearing out and for the last 3-4 weeks NOTHING! I am in the U.S. and I have yet to be even attempt to add it to my cart because I have yet to see one available.

Use this:

Buggy Loop

It arrived yesterday. Going to install it today. Very excited and wow the packaging is very clean looking!

yaqNpsZ.jpg

I’m skipping this gen but I can’t say I’m not jealous. I live in Quebec so ampere situation in 2020 was so bad, we didn’t have anything else than EVGA on Best Buy, founder’s edition came much later and were as rare as fucking unicorns. You’re really lucky.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I’m skipping this gen but I can’t say I’m not jealous. I live in Quebec so ampere situation in 2020 was so bad, we didn’t have anything else than EVGA on Best Buy, founder’s edition came much later and were as rare as fucking unicorns. You’re really lucky.
I live in quebec too and had to settle for a zotac card...at least I have a 4090 now

Buggy Loop

I live in quebec too and had to settle for a zotac card...at least I have a 4090 now

Were zotac available on Best Buy too? Probably actually but I was too greedy and was aiming for the higher tier cards, which fucked me over in my chances anyway since everyone was bot’ing them.

Had managed to score a 3060 EVGA on Canada computers, until some kind soul simply managed to score two 3080 Ti and on discord server, offered to sell it at MSRP. So I jumped on that, Asus TUF which had good cooling in reviews and not too thick for SFFPCs. Founders edition 2 slot form factor of the 3080 was the dream card for me because I had a Form D T1 ordered, which would have fit it. Had to cancel that case when I got the Asus..

Last edited:

Housh

Zero issues installing it. Honestly wasn't much bigger than the previous card. Works great first boot. I cannot believe the performance.

MW2 is maxed out and Cyberpunk 2077 w/ RTX is insane.

Housh

The foxconn box it came in was interesting. It said 14 of 160. I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy Canada only got 160 cards this re-up. The card was manufatured Oct. 19th.

Last edited:

coastel

Just ordered a 4080 for £1,099. Was going to wait for the 7900 xtx benchmarks but figure if they are way better than I thought ill just send the 4080 back. Honestly yea £1,099 is still over priced but considering I was going to get a 3090 ti for the same price a couple of months ago, waiting has paid off.

Edit: yea 4090 would of been more ideal but not for £600 more here in the UK.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
What do you mean "settle"? All 4090 models are great. It's not like in the olden days when some AIB models would be clocked 10% higher out of the box with 15% more OC headroom, lower temps, and less noise.

The Strix 4090 is simply a waste of money. It'll narrowly outperform the Zotac one while costing 20% more. At this point, I recommend getting your hands on the cheapest 4090 you can find as they're all amazing.

I have the Zotac myself and do not regret it one bit. Plus its curve design is pretty neat and unique.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Just ordered a 4080 for £1099. Was going to wait for the 7900 xtx benchmarks but figure if they are way better than I thought ill just send the 4080 back. Honestly yea 1099 is still over priced but considering I was going to get a 3090 ti for the same price a couple of months ago, waiting has paid off.

Edit: yea 4090 would of been more ideal but not for £600 more here in the UK.
Curious but how much is the 4090 assuming it's even available? I know you're already spending a lot of money, but the 24GB and noticeably superior performance of the 4090 makes its price tag worthwhile over the 4080.

coastel

Curious but how much is the 4090 assuming it's even available? I know you're already spending a lot of money, but the 24GB and noticeably superior performance of the 4090 makes its price tag worthwhile over the 4080.
Yea I made an edit my post, but it's around 600 more, just had a quick look and it shows 700 more.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Yea I made an edit my post, but it's around 600 more.
edit: A quick look shows 700 more.
Oof, then yeah, 4080 it is. Here the 4090 is only 37.5% more expensive for an equivalent model, so it's an easy choice. 63% in your case is ridiculous and makes the 4080 far more attractive...or the 4090 far less attractive.

Last edited:

coastel

Oof, then yeah, 4080 it is. Here the 4090 is only 37.5% more expensive for an equivalent model, so it's an easy choice. 63% is ridiculous.
Yea I'd probably would of needed another PSU aswell as I'm not sure I'd of been comfortable running a 4090 on a rm850x even though I think some online have said its fine. But yea if there wasn't such a large price gap here, the 4090 would be the obvious choice.

hlm666

I saw it available at what I'd define as a reasonable price for a 4090 so just went for it despite having just received the 4080 which was my original plan.

Just said fuck it and ordered a thermaltake Gf3 power supply so will decide once I've got it all set up.
I've been waiting for the rdna 3 card reviews before pulling the trigger myself, but the closer it gets the more it seems ive just wasted 5 weeks waiting. I think you should keep the 4090 and enjoy not having regrets later if the 4080 comes up short, especially since you were saying you need more performance for VR.

Reactions: GHG

Gaiff

Gold Member
Yea I'd probably would of needed another PSU aswell as I'm not sure I'd of been comfortable running a 4090 on a rm850x even though I think some online have said its fine. But yea if there wasn't such a large price gap here, the 4090 would be the obvious choice.
It's fine. NVIDIA dropped the ball on the 4090's marketing. Mine never even comes close to 450W even at full load. Highest I've seen is around 415W. It's actually very power efficient and if you're really worried about power consumption, you can set a power limit or undervolt. Even at 350W it performs at 95%+/

Still, the 4080 is a mighty impressive card itself, and based on the leaks, I'm kind of cautious about the 7900 XT/X.

Last edited:

coastel

It's fine. NVIDIA dropped the ball on the 4090's marketing. Mine never even comes close to 450W even at full load. Highest I've seen is around 415W. It's actually very power efficient and if you're really worried about power consumption, you can set a power limit or undervolt. Even at 350W it performs at 95%+/

Still, the 4080 is a mighty impressive card itself, and based on the leaks, I'm kind of cautious about the 7900 XT/X.
That just makes it a bit more annoying that the price difference is so large. But I've not had a gpu in my pc for over a month so really don't want to be waiting any longer for any price cuts that may put the 4090 more in my price range.

Monday are the benchmarks for AMD and everything points to the the 7900 xtx beating the 4080 for raster, if its not that much of a difference I'll keep the 4080. Not expecting the 4080 to arrive for around 5 days anyway as my partner ordered it for me while I was at work and didn't think to get next day delivery.

hlm666

Do you play many games with RT on? I saw some people saying portal rtx was causing the 4090 to suck more power once you start lighting up everything on the chip at once.

so what 4xxx is a good value?

GHG

Gold Member
Managed to get my hands on this baby! Cool thing about these is that the fans are replaceable so I'm putting Phanteks T30s on them for even better cooling!

8b0ddd4a-eb22-4580-badd-7c9efb24662f.jpg

I'm envious, this is what I've been trying to hunt down since the 4090s released but couldn't find one under $3k. Enjoy it man.

Top Bottom