• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The 4080's are both going to bomb catastrophically at these prices, there's no way they stay there once the 3XXX inventory starts to clear or Ti variants release. The 12GB will drop to like $599 and the 16GB $899, then the Ti will take the $1099 or $1199 slot.
I want to believe that.
But I honestly think Nvidias greed and having seen what pandemic/mining did to peoples acceptance of high priced GPUs, they believe people will still purchase these things at these prices.

They will replace the Ampere cards that currently hold the 800 and under price points with effectively the same level of power 4060 and 4050s....but badged 4070 and 4060.

My only real hope is that reviewers are really harsh when reviewing these things based on their prices so maybe, maybe Nvidia gets the idea that these things are well overpriced....consumers get the message that these things are over priced, and Nvidias hand is forced.

Crayon

I saw a take from a tuber that swayed me a bit. Nvidia can call the 12g a 4080 and it should not be taken so offensively. Looking at price v performance over the years, it's in line with the trend of cards getting more expensive for the same gains. Nvidia made some really expensive equipment here and we'll have to see how they are moving after the first month. If they sell, then well.... the price is effectively justified. If they sit, it was too high.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I’m going to get a new card if they are readily available because I’m crazy and don’t really care about pricing so much but I honestly think this is going to be a vastly different market than what we saw a couple years back for the 30xx series. They will sell well initially because there are a lot of enthusiasts in gaming that just don’t care like myself but after that group gets their hands on one a $1200 or higher 4080 is a really tough sell to the average consumer. Especially in a world where inflation is so high and markets are teetering on recession.

KungFucius

I think everyone, including the reviewers, should just agree to stop calling that card the 4080 12GB and simply call it what it really is, the 4070.
that alone would instantly put it into perspective how overpriced it is
I prefer calling it the shitty 4080. If enough people call it the shitty 4080 online then the term sticks and Nvidia will have to deal with the fact that everyone calls their $900 card shitty. Though they probably want people to think that and to pony up for the non-shitty one.
If you dont think your product is gonna be hot, put an embargo on releasing the results.
The reviewers will review it either which way, but atleast you can save face for a day or 2 during your launch window.

Hell Digital Foundry already have the FPS results for the RTX 4090 vs 3090.......they just arent allowed to tell us what those numbers are until whenever the embargo lifts.
Aren't GPU reviews always released like the day before launch or day of or something? The 3000 series did not have reviews ready 2 weeks before the cards dropped and they turned out fine. It's a marketing strategy not some cover up. Plus Nvidia is providing them with the HW to test, shouldn't they get a say when the results are out?

PhoenixTank

I prefer calling it the shitty 4080. If enough people call it the shitty 4080 online then the term sticks and Nvidia will have to deal with the fact that everyone calls their $900 card shitty. Though they probably want people to think that and to pony up for the non-shitty one.

Aren't GPU reviews always released like the day before launch or day of or something? The 3000 series did not have reviews ready 2 weeks before the cards dropped and they turned out fine. It's a marketing strategy not some cover up. Plus Nvidia is providing them with the HW to test, shouldn't they get a say when the results are out?
Not always. The cards turned out fine but the ability for anyone to buy one did not turn out fine. Having at least a few days to digest reviews is way more palatable than basically having to impulse buy to get one, and then going to read reviews after the fact and hoping you haven't bought a lemon. Manufacturers are allowed to do it but I'm not going to pretend it isn't shitty.

jaysius

Nvidia tripping over its own feet to squeeze its most loyal 1-5% while Intel is launching cards that the everyday mid gamer can buy, its a stupid gambit for Nvidia.

Reallink

I want to believe that.
But I honestly think Nvidias greed and having seen what pandemic/mining did to peoples acceptance of high priced GPUs, they believe people will still purchase these things at these prices.

They will replace the Ampere cards that currently hold the 800 and under price points with effectively the same level of power 4060 and 4050s....but badged 4070 and 4060.

My only real hope is that reviewers are really harsh when reviewing these things based on their prices so maybe, maybe Nvidia gets the idea that these things are well overpriced....consumers get the message that these things are over priced, and Nvidias hand is forced.

Don't get me wrong, millions of people accept the high prices and are happy pay them. It's just that anyone looking to spend $1000+ on a GPU doesn't give a shit about the few hundred dollar savings by downgrading to the 4080's. They're all going to buy 4090's which will outsell both 4080's combined like 10:1. The 4080's are going to bomb cause they're comically underpowered, not cause they're expensive. They're all priced to serve the same market, so the one that's twice as fast for only slightly more money is obviously going annihilate the rest.

Nvidia tripping over its own feet to squeeze its most loyal 1-5% while Intel is launching cards that the everyday mid gamer can buy, its a stupid gambit for Nvidia.

Intel will likely be losing money on every unit sold while Nvidia earns 300-400% profit on every 4XXX. Additionally, it's all but guaranteed they drop prices on the 3050, 3060, and 3070 day and date to match Intel, while still enjoying very healthy margins on them. The low end 4XXX's will only need to be like 150mm die's to curbstomp Intel's offerings,s which means they can be dirt cheap if need be. Realistically, Intel would have had to have "4080" class cards on November 3rd for $400-$500 to have any shot at gaining ground. As it stands, they'll struggle to gain 1-3% marketshare while AMD fights them over the remaining 7-9% Vs. Nvidia's 90%.

Last edited:

Chiggs

And with AMD set to unveil their best GPU offerings in 10 years on November 3rd.

winjer

Doubling prices, for 60% more performance.
It's the deal of the century.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

TheKratos

Eh there's no need to buy every generation. I skipped the 30xx series so I'm not that concerned about price/performance of 40xx vs 30xx. That said, I most likely will skip 40xx unless it can give me 4k120fps in the newest games. I still think the cards will be sold out in the beginning months.

thuGG_pl

winjer

The 4090 is only 100$ over 3090, so it's not that bad and actually expected.
It would be great if nV would do the same with 4080.

True, but the 3090 was already over priced when it launched.

But the worst one is the RTX 4070, disguised as a 4080 12GB.

thuGG_pl

True, but the 3090 was already over priced when it launched.

But the worst one is the RTX 4070, disguised as a 4080 12GB.

Yeah 3090 was way overpriced because it was just a liitle bit better than 3080.
4090 though is actually way more powerful than 4080, so I guess it makes sense. This is a top dollar card for the wealthy.

Still I think 4080 and 4070 in disguise is just a a middle finger from nV to consumers.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Gold Member
75% to the 3090.
The performance is wild but so is the price.

Anybody building a new PC? Anybody done the math adding up all the costs for a 4090, Zen 4, a good case, AIO cooler, MB, DDR5, fast NVME, beefy PSU?
I did some quick checks in my local shop. Total above $4K… 🤕

Last edited:
4090 though is actually way more powerful than 4080, so I guess it makes sense. This is a top dollar card for the wealthy.

Still I think 4080 and 4070 in disguise is just a a middle finger from nV to consumers.
4090 is where most expected it to be, but 4080 going up by $500 and now at $1200 from 700 and 4060 ti at 900 when 3060ti was 400? is absolutely mental.

yamaci17

Anybody building a new PC? Anybody done the math adding up all the costs for a 4090, Zen 4, a good case, AIO cooler, MB, DDR5, fast NVME, beefy PSU?
just build something around 3060ti and 5800x 3d

hold until 12 gb 70 cards arrive

upgrade, move on

pray that 5800x 3d manages to upwards of 60 cpu bound frames in nextgen titles (so pray for good cpu bound ports, or else things will get nasty real quick. maybe this is why nv is presenting frame generation. dunno)

nothing else to do

KungFucius

Doubling prices, for 60% more performance.
It's the deal of the century.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef
Huh? The 3090 Ti launched at 2000. The 3090 was 1500. If you accepted those prices, the 1600 for a generational improvement is fine. Comparing it to the clearance price is not really reasonable because the 3090 Tis will be gone soon. FFS the 3090 was more than double the price of the 3080 and got at best 15% performance boost. From the perspective of 3090/3090 Ti owners the 4090 is not a bad deal.

The trick is to get people locked into the high end card and keep them there by making the next level down unappealing. It sucks, but since I fell for the trick last gen, I know there is no going back. I'm glad the 4090s are not 2k.

It is starting to get pretty insane. Gone are the $100-150 mobos, the 200 buck premiumish CPUs, and the 500 dollar high end GPUs. Now its 300-500, 400-800, 1k+ for the 3 main components. Add the chassis, RAM, Storage, Cooling, Power, and I can see 4k easy. Normally I would argue keeping older Mobos/CPUs, but the Buses have improved a lot in recent years. PCIe went from gen 3 to 5 and USB is getting faster and faster. And with 4 slot GPUs you cant even add any add in cards to your build.

Fredrik

Gold Member
It is starting to get pretty insane. Gone are the $100-150 mobos, the 200 buck premiumish CPUs, and the 500 dollar high end GPUs. Now its 300-500, 400-800, 1k+ for the 3 main components. Add the chassis, RAM, Storage, Cooling, Power, and I can see 4k easy. Normally I would argue keeping older Mobos/CPUs, but the Buses have improved a lot in recent years. PCIe went from gen 3 to 5 and USB is getting faster and faster. And with 4 slot GPUs you cant even add any add in cards to your build.
Very insane. Might be unfair to convert directly from SEK to USD but if I do I literally end up at total $4,600. This is with a 4090+7900x rig, could definitely go higher on many parts. And that’s without a chassi, mouse, keyboard, screen. Maybe the screen shouldn’t be included, you don’t add an OLED TV when sum up the total costs for console gaming, but if I go for 4K gaming I need a new screen so. Tbh I don’t think I dare to add it all up…

MikeM

just build something around 3060ti and 5800x 3d

hold until 12 gb 70 cards arrive

upgrade, move on

pray that 5800x 3d manages to upwards of 60 cpu bound frames in nextgen titles (so pray for good cpu bound ports, or else things will get nasty real quick. maybe this is why nv is presenting frame generation. dunno)

nothing else to do
5800x3D is at the top or near the top of gaming benchmarks even with AMD’s new CPUs. That is going to easily be viable for the next 4-5 years.

I’m personally looking at a build with it if it continues to drop down in price (looking at you Black Friday). Pair it with a 3080 or a 6800xt (or higher cards) and you’ll be having a great PC experience for years.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't know how to account for inflation, but this is what we used to pay for a 4080 12gb class card

That's why when I look at the Intel Arc prices I'm having weird flashbacks

Intel Arc will (at best) be on par with a last gen card in the 3060.

twilo99

Intel Arc will (at best) be on par with a last gen card in the 3060.

I know, I guess we will see when they all come out and we get some benchmarks, but that price point is simply too good, its giving me series S vibes in terms of "bang for buck"

twilo99

Thanks for the maths!

So they are “only” hitting us with a ~$350 price increase. Perhaps that’s how much ray tracing and DLSS cost..

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really think Nvidia made a mistake with the 3090 and 4090’s, this coming from a 3090 owner. They should have kept calling them Titans and had the xx80’s stay the top “consumer” card. The titans were always the “extreme out there” card, but now that they are in the product line numbering scheme, they are treated like normal consumer products for the mass audience, when they shouldn’t be.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The 3090 was also never intended to be the go to card for just gamers where as the 4090 looks to be that card

FStubbs

I don't know how to account for inflation, but this is what we used to pay for a 4080 12gb class card

The ultimate irony is that whatever 4xxx card is in the neighborhood of 6.5 TFlops will probably cost more than $449 and probably won't have 8 GB.

HoofHearted

Why is the CPU a fraction of utilization on the A770 compared to the 3070?

Anyway, YouTube is filled with fake benchmarks, I really doubt it’s legit, nobody serious that would get a card would break embargo.
Not sure - and I agree that this and several other benchmarks on YT are typically questionable- but there are several of them out there now on the A770 with similar results. People get their hands on hardware early and break street dates on reviews all the time. It will be interesting to see if these end up being actual results - especially considering that drivers usually aren’t made available to reviewers until a few days before launch.

IMHO - I wouldn’t be surprised to see the a770 come fairly close to the 3070 here - and if true - even better as it will put additional pressure to reduce the over inflated prices by NVIDIA…

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Gold Member

Yeah, I think 5 grand for a top of the range build. Custom Waterloop will be approaching 7 grand.

Crazy shit.

This shit is fooking insanity! Look what we have become!

Fredrik

Gold Member
Yeah, I think 5 grand for a top of the range build. Custom Waterloop will be approaching 7 grand.

Crazy shit.

Yeah I know it’s crazy. And the worst bit, when you get up to those figures, do you cheapen out on the graphics card and go with a 4080 16GB just to land on $5,000 instead of the 4090 and pay total $5,500? No matter what you do it’s going to be an absurdly expensive rig.

sobaka770

Thankfully apart from maybe Cyberpunk there is no game out there that really needs 4080/4090 levels of card. I mean 300 FPS Overwatch is nice and all but does one really need that?

UE5 games will start popping up next year but I think it's safe to wait out this gen and get a 3080 instead. NVidia needs to get its wings clipped a bit for such avarice, especially with recession looming.

Hawk269

Crazy shit.

Yeah, when you add in custom water loops, price sky rockets. I have done nothing but custom loops for the last 3 builds I have made and it does get expensive. Right now, I think I am going to pass on a fresh new build. Cost is just out of control. But on the other hand I get so much better performance with a custom loop than using AIO water coolers.

KungFucius

Why sell it for 600 when you can sell it for 900?

Also, I remember being confused by the founders editions back then and hunting for MSRP 1080s. I then ended up paying more for an MSI 1080 than MSRP because they started price gouging when the cards sold out instantly for weeks. It was pretty shit pricing the founders edition over MSRP because that basically set the low bar for actual selling price.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
2x 3080 performance in raster is still extremely impressive result, add to that 2x RT performance (or DLSSx3) and from technical point of view 4090 is an engineering marvel

~2 x performance is pretty much whats expected gen on gen.
The price increase however isnt expected, the 4090 is actually the only "good" gen on gen device cuz its only "only" a 100 dollars more expensive than its predecessor.
All the others are quite a jump
Its also part of why the 4080'12G is such a joke of a GPU when you consider the 3080 performance and price.
Worse still because we all know its actually a 4070,.

poppabk

5800x3D is at the top or near the top of gaming benchmarks even with AMD’s new CPUs. That is going to easily be viable for the next 4-5 years.

I’m personally looking at a build with it if it continues to drop down in price (looking at you Black Friday). Pair it with a 3080 or a 6800xt (or higher cards) and you’ll be having a great PC experience for years.
I went with the regular 5800x for $250, a $70 B series mobo, a $60 cube mATX case, $100 M2 Nvme, $60 DDR 4 16Gb, a $25 CPU fan. Just waiting for a 6800xt or 3080 to hit the $200-$300 mark. Already had a bronze 1000W power supply from my old rig which cost $80 or so back in the day. With this I'll be good for 5 years at least.

Imagine thinking Intel can just poof competitive products out of thin air when Nvidia and AMD (ATI) have been literally working on it for decades. Have fun with your ARC first generation product LMAO

Top Bottom