• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord screenshots + info

Nothing ground breakingly new, but still interesting nonetheless. The new screenshots are in this video, 3 of them are the same screenshot but showing different times of seasons and there are 2 new ones.

EDIT:
Screenshots are up!
MQ3WreB.jpg
HOVzeZA.jpg
Oh3fqWm.jpg
SVGixkP.jpg
3NgtoUl.jpg
*NEW* Leaked screenshots.

As for info, GameStar have a little coverage, especially for its Plus members. We now have confirmation for the following (using Google Translate since the original article is in German):

EDIT:
Accurate translation (DaciaJC):
1. Epic battles with up to 500 characters on screen (I assume they mean SP) - they say, it might go up to 1000, when the game releases, they got to play 250 vs. 250 in their preview.
2. The physics - they now use realistic physics - they describe charging into some bandits with 200 horsemen, saying, the bandits lost balance.
3. The worldmap - Bannerlord is supposed to be 4 times as large as Warband - with dynamic seasons, which are also displayed on the world map.
4. Lively villages etc. - in some towns, there are sub-factions, such as "Gangsters", merchants, peasants and so an. There are supposed to be lots of quests for each faction, which impact your relation to the others.
5. The sandbox - you can be everything, according to this article. a mercenary in an army, a successful gladiator, a merchant, knight, count. You can "build" your own castles, armies and trading-empires. You can forge weapons, trade, barter and abduct people.
------

Epic battles with at least 500 fighters . In the predecessor of Warband , the total number of possible warriors went up to 300, the successor Bannerlord puts a whole scoop on it. It is possible to have 1000 evenings at the same time, but I have already 250 men against 250 enemies in the battle. And this creates an incredible battle atmosphere.

The physic. Unlike Warband, there is now a realistic physics. It sounds like a little innovation, but if you ride with a cavalry of 200 people in wedge formation in the middle of a pulk of bandits, the Wumms feeling (tm) is simply divine. And you can strategically use impact force to get foot soldiers out of balance.

The world map. Mount & Blade 2 is almost four times bigger than its predecessor - and it already had a fairly big world, which could be traveled as a stretch. Whether in the desert or in the ice-cold north, Bannerlord wants to create a gigantic medieval world. And this time there are also dynamic seasons changes , so that the map changes continually.

Living villages. In Warband, there were usually only two exciting NPCs in each village: an old sage as a quest-giver - and a nervous man who would turn out to be a criminal. Bannerlord extends the massive. Now there are even submarines in the cities such as gangsters, traders' guilds, farmers and so on. And lots of quests to make the one faction happy and the other angry. At least the developers promise.

The sandbox. From the stupid mercenary in an army over a successful gladiator to traders, knights and nobility princes: In Mount & Blade 2 you can be anything . This strength inherits it from the predecessor, but builds it perceptibly on it. As a player, I build my own castles, armies and trading empires - and improve my skills with the countless weapons. You can forge, act, haggle and abduct. In short: Playful freedom remains the greatest strength of Mount & Blade.

Tagyhag

Hmmm regarding #5, I really hope you can indeed be everything in this game. One thing about Warband is that you could be a bad guy, but you couldn't join THE bad guys. Would have been amazing to take over the land with one unified bandit empire.

Feels like this game is taking ages to come out.

Cause it has been ages lol.

oneils

I played Warbands with a mod that allowed for 1,000 soldiers in a battle. It was pretty crazy, but too cpu intensive so my framerate would tank into 10s. I would be really happy with a game that managed 500 soldiers with a stable framerate. That would be awesome!

Can't wait to see this. Really tempted to play again lol.

Thanks for the info.

Aselith

I played Warbands with a mod that allowed for 1,000 soldiers in a battle. It was pretty crazy, but too cpu intensive so my framerate would take into 10s. I would be really happy with a game that managed 500 soldiers with a stable framerate. That would be awesome!

Can't wait to see this. Really tempted to play again lol.

Thanks for the info.

OsqIa.gif

1 million troops please!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Here's a more understandable translation from someone on the Taleworlds forum:

1. Epic battles with up to 500 characters on screen (I assume they mean SP) - they say, it might go up to 1000, when the game releases, they got to play 250 vs. 250 in their preview.
2. The physics - they now use realistic physics - they describe charging into some bandits with 200 horsemen, saying, the bandits lost balance.
3. The worldmap - Bannerlord is supposed to be 4 times as large as Warband - with dynamic seasons, which are also displayed on the world map.
4. Lively villages etc. - in some towns, there are sub-factions, such as "Gangsters", merchants, peasants and so an. There are supposed to be lots of quests for each faction, which impact your relation to the others.
5. The sandbox - you can be everything, according to this article. a mercenary in an army, a successful gladiator, a merchant, knight, count. You can "build" your own castles, armies and trading-empires. You can forge weapons, trade, barter and abduct people.

Most of the information is already known, I believe, but some nice tidbits nonetheless. This game is going to overshadow everything else for me when it finally releases in twenty years.

Lister

Banned
Well most of the development has been done by 2 people, so yea it's going to take awhile.

They must be outsourcing a lot though, right? and it's a wife ad husband team, right?

I hope it sells well, woudl love to see them continue the franchise and upping their game.

KPJZKC

Yea I think they've gotten outside help for the art and music, but all the programming and design have been them.

In 2011 the team was way bigger than two people - about 20-ish, and I can only imagine they've grown since then. They had several artists on the team, along with developers.

KorrZ

Could not be more excited for this game. I lost literally an entire week to Warband the first time I fired it up. Just need a release date please.

Leunam

Am I reading that last bullet point right? I don't have to be the leader of my own army and I could just roam around as regular cavalry fodder on the frontline going wherever I'm needed? Sign me up for that.

Am I reading that last bullet point right? I don't have to be the leader of my own army and I could just roam around as regular cavalry fodder on the frontline going wherever I'm needed? Sign me up for that.

Yeah, you would essentially be just another soldier as part of a Lord's army. The Warband mod Freelancer does this too.

I'm​ going to be elated when it finally releases, but in the meantime see you guys back here in a year or two for another set of screenshots or a video.

That sounds awesome! Hopefully still pretty in-depth.

If it's anything like Freelancer, you could be able to sign-up with any Lord for a period of x months for a contract that you can renew or not. You'll also be given that factions' armour as long as you're serving under one of its Lord's names, ask to be released with a reputation penalty and ask your Lord if you can take a temporary leave to do as you wish.

I hope Bannerlord II is as in-depth as this, if not more!

Artdayne

The original Mount and Blade was first available similar to early access. $20-30 (can't remember exactly) to play the beta and then when the full game released you didn't have to pay any extra. I'd love to just play early access Bannerlord at this point.

You've been able to do that in some of the Warband mods. I played a good chunk of the ASOIAF (iirc) mod as a Lannister infantryman.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm dying for this to come out. I think I check the Taleworlds website almost every week for some kind of news. I thought for sure when they opened up the Steam page things were finally happening. That was over 6 months ago.

What is there to say? Mount and Blade and Warband are very symbols of the chaotic and wonderful awesome nature of PC gaming.

It's the opposite of For Honor. Where For Honor is smaller battles, more streamlined with fewer players, Mount and Blade is taking your horse up ladders and being fucking metal in metal armor throwing yourself into metal dudes on metal horses, while listening to metal.

If you guys are not already, Wishlist and check out Bannerlord steam page. Activity on the page sort of lets the dev know that people are anticipating it.

Medieval sword fighting is stronger than it was (in huge part due to Mount and Blade). We got For Honor, and Chivalry had a nice stint for a while.

Another game people need to check out is Mordhau. It also looks promising, but will be more of a mix between Chivalry and Jedi Knight. It won't have all the RPG elements of MnB.

But Kingdom Come: Deliverance will have those RPG elements. But that game is still very early. It has a very long way to go.

The genre still have a lot of room to grow. I'd like to see the full force of a studio like Dice making a Battlefield game over the 100 year war. Paradox shut down War of the Roses a long time ago.

Frankly, the genre is not where it needs to be. For Honor speaks mostly to fighting game fans, and even though Bannerlord looks awesome, it's still very much going to be an indie title. I think it's a shame because this genre- of online competitive swords'n sandals warfare has a lot of potential.

I'm reminded of what a disappointment Lord of the Rings Conquest was. Wasted potential. It's just much much harder to make melee fighting work online. Due to latency issues, it can really ruin the experience. :(

Herne

"Bannerlord extends the massive"...

Seriously though, I still play Napoleonic Wars daily and Bannerlord cannot get here fast enough.

LeChuck

Banned
Do we have any release time frame for this. I have been waiting forever. Warband is easily in my top 10 all time favorite games.

Cool though I have a feeling it's going to be quite some time till this game has mods like genkokujo and l'aigle but I don't know what type of modding kit will be available for it.

Top Bottom