• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Rumors Have Nintendo Fans Excited

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new update, prominent Nintendo insider and leaker Zippo relayed word that they are "two hundred percent" sure a new 2D game from MercurySteam is in development. In fact, the leaker claims the game is done. For those that don't know: MerucrySteam is best known for 2017's Metroid: Samus Returns, a handful of Castlevania games, and its most recent title, Spacelords, which also hit in 2017.

Speaking about this game, Zippo claims it runs at "a very smooth 60FPS" and that Nintendo is "extremely happy" with how the game came out.

"A new 2D game from MercurySteam two hundred percent exists, and is in fact, done," said Zippo. "All Nintendo needs to do at this point is announce it. Nintendo (and by extension, Sakamoto.) internally is extremely happy with how the title turned out. The only other thing I've heard recently s that the game is running at a very smooth 60FPS."

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Don’t make it like samus returns

I Hope Please GIF

Kuranghi

Bu-bu-but I don't want the SM remake to "...mimic SR in style..."

Baby Reaction GIF

If it has to be 3D at least make it a new art style than SR.

I don't know if there is any 3D style that could truly please me though, I want it to be 2D. Imagine it looked something like this:

super_metroid___depths_of_tourian_by_elemental79-d5z66m9.jpg

Its not perfect or anything but I dig it, what do you think Spukc Spukc ?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Bu-bu-but I don't want the SM remake to "...mimic SR in style..."

Baby Reaction GIF

If it has to be 3D at least make it a new art style than SR.

I don't know if there is any 3D style that could truly please me though, I want it to be 2D. Imagine it looked something like this:

super_metroid___depths_of_tourian_by_elemental79-d5z66m9.jpg

Its not perfect or anything but I dig it, what do you think Spukc Spukc ?
Seen that pic on aliexpress..
I am a huuge metroidcollector ;)

this would take effort..
Last game from nintendo was 3D allstars 🤣

we are basically fucked as fans

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Imagine it is Super switch exclusive, along with botw2. Internet melts down, lol.

Exede

Everybody thinking a SM remake is dead on arival is out of their mind. Nostalgica and install base alone will sell this game like almost none Meteoid before. I'm offering an Avatar bet here....

ssringo

It's been so long since I've enjoyed a new Metroid. I have my doubts that MercurySteam has the ability to change that but at least it's (supposedly) on a console again.

Hydelol

Banned
Everybody thinking a SM remake is dead on arival is out of their mind. Nostalgica and install base alone will sell this game like almost none Meteoid before. I'm offering an Avatar bet here....
You don't understand dead on arival in the context of Metroid. Everyone will play it once and then it will be forgotten. There is a reason why Super Metroid / Prime 1+2 / Fusion are still being played and have active communities with races / randomizers. Do you see Metroid 2 Remake somewhere? I certainly don't.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

In a new update, prominent Nintendo insider and leaker Zippo relayed word that they are "two hundred percent" sure a new 2D game from MercurySteam is in development. In fact, the leaker claims the game is done. For those that don't know: MerucrySteam is best known for 2017's Metroid: Samus Returns, a handful of Castlevania games, and its most recent title, Spacelords, which also hit in 2017.

Speaking about this game, Zippo claims it runs at "a very smooth 60FPS" and that Nintendo is "extremely happy" with how the game came out.

"A new 2D game from MercurySteam two hundred percent exists, and is in fact, done," said Zippo. "All Nintendo needs to do at this point is announce it. Nintendo (and by extension, Sakamoto.) internally is extremely happy with how the title turned out. The only other thing I've heard recently s that the game is running at a very smooth 60FPS."

It is great news until you read “over the next 2 fiscal years”.

On one hand, I think from a design and gameplay perspective, Super Metroid is pretty close to being perfect. On the other hand, I liked Samus Returns quite a bit so I do think Mercury Steam can pull it off. BUT Samus Returns is a way easier remake considering Metroid 2 was a pretty flawed game to start with. It's tough.

Honestly, I would prefer if they made a brand new 2D Metroid instead, but I'll take what I can get these days when it comes to Metroid.

Exede

You don't understand dead on arival in the context of Metroid. Everyone will play it once and then it will be forgotten. There is a reason why Super Metroid / Prime 1+2 / Fusion are still being played and have active communities with races / randomizers. Do you see Metroid 2 Remake somewhere? I certainly don't.
DOA for me means it won"t sell. And nobody is talking about Prime 2. Opinions I guess.

Astral Dog

I BEEN WAITING FOR METROID V SINCE METROID IV ENDED! 🙌

at this point im more excited about Sakamoto's Metroid V than the nonexistant Metroid Prime 4(at least V was hinted by Samus Returns so we could assume it was in development)

wait, this is supposedly a Super Metroid Remake 😭 Super is awesome but i wanted a new 2D Metroid Super was fine as it is.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Who the fuck is "Zippo"?

Also, I don't believe it. Fuck rumors. Only if the light emitted by a full fletched gameplay trailer hits my own eyes, I MIGHT believe it, and only if Nintendo uploades a video of Shuntaro Furukawa showing how he uploads the trailer by himself prior to that, while his own mother holds a birth certificate of him into the camera and both sing the japanese national anthem "Kimi Ga Yo" from start to finish!

kungfuian

Returnal, all roguelite trappings aside, gives a tiny taste of how a 3rd Person Metroid might feel! Like if you took the base gameplay, art, music, and atmosphere of Returnal, but offered fixed level layouts/gear runs and standard Metroidvania style progression it's kind of how I imagine Metroid might be from this perspective.

If Nintendo won't do it maybe Housemarque will find it in their heart to offer a non rouglite metroidvania mode for us. PLEASE!

Edit- I actually really enjoyed Samus Returns. Not in love with the art style but it was still a very solid entry. Basically any 2d Metroid is an instant buy so...

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Last onne that was made on the 3ds was such a great game, best one since fusion imo, even as a remake its ine of my all time favs, i do hope its a remake of super metroid, i know its a great game but recently playing it on my 3ds and man it hasnt aged well at all, also i hope its not a remake of the first game either as zero mission is perfect

Velius

Banned
Other M 2 confirmed.

Awful textures. Static lighting. The things you've come to love about Metroid.

Knightime_X

200% sure but is just a rumor.
Man....people are abusing that scapegoat really hard.

Super metroid remake?
Calling fake as fuck to keep my extremely hype boner in check until further notice.

Hydelol

Banned
Yeah, I do. There's a thriving community around one of the Metroid 2 Remakes...just not the one Nintendo likes.
Well, this is a Nintendo thread, not a thread about non-Nintendo Metroid games. You and I both know Nintendo is not capable of making a Metroid game like the one you mentioned, sadly.

V4skunk

Banned
I want something new instead of a remake.
We should also be hearing about MP4 soon because it's been a while now since Retro Studios took over development of the game.

Woopah

How much do you think a Super Metroid remake would sell? (I do believe this will be a new game though)
Weird that they don't want to risk making a third person 3D Metroid after Dark Souls' success.
The 3D Metroid will be Prime 4

Dr Bass

I have zero excitement for an inferior remake of Super Metroid.

I would gladly take a quality new 2d Metroid that was entirely original.

This, no.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
assuming it's real

I'd love and prefer a new one, but you better fucking believe I'd play a Super Metroid remake done by those guys.

Yes, Super is way better to revisit than the original Metroid 2. But the original Link's Awakening is also still fantastic and I played and loved that remake. It'd be a great excuse to revisit a great game with a lick of paint.

ultrazilla

giphy.gif

mcjmetroid

A new 2D Metroid adventure please. Ive played Super Metroid, I don't need it remade...neither does anyone else. Besides it's on the SNES online service and it still looks fine even today.

It isn't like Super Metroid is unbelievable Unforgettable story telling that requires it to be remake with new graphics.... Just make a new 2d game with has a few references to super.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I've heard rumor that Mercury Steam has completed a 2D style Metroid game and that it's been completed for a while. Probably the remake that's being mentioned in the OP.

Whatever I'm game for any of it. I literally just installed Metroid Prime on Dolphin and have it running with Primehack to play with Mouse and Keyboard just today. I look forward to jumping into Prime, haven't played them since they first came out all those years ago.

A new 2D Metroid adventure please. Ive played Super Metroid, I don't need it remade...

Also the rumour mill with Metroid is out of control.

Yeah, no kidding, feel like I've been hearing Metroid rumors for years now with nothing ever happening.

God, if the best we can do is MercurySteam, just kill the franchise already.

I know next to no one played it, but they did a hell of a good job with Samus Returns and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, so it's not completely out of the question they can catch fire again... But yeah, they don't have a SOLID record as far as consistency.

Last edited:

LMJ

Lets say both are true...I am a HUGE Metroid fan so I'm excited, but N if you reading/listening

PLEASE Nintendo put in more effort in the "remasters" than with the Mario 3D Collection

PLEASE Nintendo, just remake Super Metroid with amazing art and HD graphics higher FPS/ if you have to change something then go all out, no middle ground oh and...NO gimmicks, please no gimmicks

I Hope Please GIF

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I played Super Metroid a dozen times and loved it in the 90s. I also loved the GBA follow ups. I would strongly prefer a new game, but it has been long enough to warrant a replay.

Top Bottom