• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese-developed Silent Hill game leaked through a handful of images from a 2020 build (Sony said to be involved)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That mocap actress and model barely look alike. It’s still possible she’s playing her, but this is the furthest thing from proof.
“Barely look alike”

Karate Kid What GIF

Never got the hype around Silent Hill. The sales are not very good, the scores droped drastically after part 3 and the movies mostly sucked. Why are so many people still excited about this series?
Probably because it’s one of the last major traditional third person survival horror franchise left in existence to my knowledge. Also, the games most likely left an impact on most people who played them I’m assuming so there is a lot of nostalgia involved as well. I don’t really count Resident Evil because it’s more action horror.

yurinka

I would be actually really surprised to find out that all our dreams are true
-New sh games
-metal gear remake or something
-Bloodborne remaster and bb2
I am starting to feel Sony is not that sony anymore... but they've been awfully quiet recently
As far as I remember the MGS remake was credible but the source said some random Chinese studio was remaking MGS3 or something like that.

sachos

Dusk interestingly mentions "SMS messages", which might suggest that Gematsu's report from last year (Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment.) could be accurate, given that, according to Alanah Pearce, Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills (cancelled in 2015) was planned to be able to send you emails or text messages in real life:

Uh, interesting gimmick but i hope if this is game/leak is true they make that feature optional otherwise that would mean the game functionality would be tied to a server, and we know from recent events how things go when a single player game's functionality depends on a server being online.

Wohc

Banned
Probably because it’s one of the last major traditional third person survival horror franchise left in existence to my knowledge. Also, the games most likely left an impact on most people who played them I’m assuming so there is a lot of nostalgia involved as well. I don’t really count Resident Evil because it’s more action horror.
Even without the use of google i could list 10 third person survival horror games. The problem with nostalgia is, it mostly doesn't work. The game worked 25 years ago, but with the same formula i don't think it can work today and if you completely change it, is it Silent Hill anymore?

Yamaoka is returning to compose the soundtrack, same way as Ito was brought back to handle creature design and conceptual art design.
So Ito draws the art and Bloober renders it? I have faith this game will be ok. Reviews will say its an “ok” comeback for the series i bet.

Beechos

I feel like it has nothing to do with this at all. People on these forums hype this game up so much because its one of the few 3rd party games left associated with sony/playstation brand. Everytime someone talks about Silent hill, sony, kojima, mgs, buying/exclusive all get added.

ElCasual

"I hate myself". Wow I care about that angsty character now. The model looks bad compared to PT or any Team Silent or Kojima Productions models.
I dont believe that is a Kojima game but the picture is from a build of the 2020. Maybe it looks better now.

“Barely look alike”

Karate Kid What GIF
She really doesn't look that similar : the eyebrows are completely different, her nose is clearly way thinner, and, while her front is covered , you can guess from the curvature of her head that isn' t anywhere that high, especially when, in the 3d model, the front looks really flat, even if this could somewhat depend from unoptimal lighting. This doesn't mean that she can't be the model for that character but, if it is, the model has been pretty heavely modified

BryceNobody

Andy Robinson at VGC says there’s three studios working on SH stuff. I’ve been burned enough by this franchise to take that with a grain of salt, but any guesses what they might even be?

I’m guessing:
Silent Hills at KojiPro
Bloober Team Project
VR Project at unknown studio

I’d also hypothesize maybe Bloober aren’t working on a brand new title like everyone thinks, but they’ve been tasked with remaking either Silent Hill 1 or Silent Hill 2. The Medium shows they can do fixed-camera horror decently…

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Andy Robinson at VGC says there’s three studios working on SH stuff. I’ve been burned enough by this franchise to take that with a grain of salt, but any guesses what they might even be?

I’m guessing:
Silent Hills at KojiPro
Bloober Team Project

I’d also hypothesize maybe Bloober aren’t working on a brand new title like everyone thinks, but they’ve been tasked with remaking either Silent Hill 1 or Silent Hill 2. The Medium shows they can do fixed-camera horror decently…

Probability that none of these games ever ship?

Quite high.

kunonabi

I’m guessing:
Silent Hills at KojiPro
Bloober Team Project

Considering Konami once tried to release three silent hill titles in one month I wouldn't be at all surprised if three studios were working on separate projects.

Even without the use of google i could list 10 third person survival horror games. The problem with nostalgia is, it mostly doesn't work. The game worked 25 years ago, but with the same formula i don't think it can work today and if you completely change it, is it Silent Hill anymore?
Yes, there are or shall I say were other third person survival horror games, but most of them to my knowledge don’t exist anymore while Silent Hill has at least had consistent sequels for quite awhile. Third person survival horror is a rarity nowadays and first person horror has taken over which can be unfortunate for fans of third person. I think that’s one reason people still get excited for the franchise even though the most recent games weren’t as memorable for many.

I think they could modernize the gameplay mechanics with a Silent Hill if executed properly, but as you said if you change it too much will it still be Silent Hill?

Last edited:
Dusk interestingly mentions "SMS messages", which might suggest that Gematsu's report from last year (Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment.) could be accurate, given that, according to Alanah Pearce, Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills (cancelled in 2015) was planned to be able to send you emails or text messages in real life:

Is she brushing her teeth in her Twitter profile picture? Twitter is fucking stupid

I know we all want a 3rd person return to form Silent Hill like 1-3, but I don't think it's going to be like that. It's going to be like all the generic first person horror games that have been coming out.

Javthusiast

Banned
I know we all want a 3rd person return to form Silent Hill like 1-3, but I don't think it's going to be like that. It's going to be like all the generic first person horror games that have been coming out.

This. It will be an uninspired euro made Silent Hill game, like all the ones made after SH4. Probably with once again tons of PT vibes.

JimRyanGOAT

I’m guessing:
Silent Hills at KojiPro
Bloober Team Project

King Hassan carrying the industry by making 3 separate Sillent hill games

What a fucking GOAT

Top Bottom