• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New IP 'Hell is Us' by Rogue Factor aiming for a 2023 release (PS5, XSX/S, PC)

ButchCat

Hell is Us is described as an action-adventure set inside a country in the midst of a civil war where the main character will fight against creatures caused by a mysterious event the locals call "the Calamity." He'll have to use special weapons and equipment to take on these monsters that resemble monuments scattered across the nation in order to survive and learn more about his history in this land.
"Our goal with Hell is Us is to bring back true adventure and exploration," says Jacques-Belletête in a press release provided to Game Informer. "There's no need for a detailed quest log or precise waypoint on the map: we want players to feel the thrill of adventure, guided by their feelings and instincts."
Publisher Nacon has announced Rogue Factor's newest title in the works is called Hell is Us, with former Eidos Montreal Art Director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête on the project as creative director. Jacques-Belletête has previously worked on games such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided and worked on concepts for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy before transitioning over to Rogue Factor.
Nacon announces new ip Hell is Us from rogue factor led by former Deus ex art director

This is a very pleasant surprise. Funnily enough, the soundtrack featured in the teaser made me think of Deus Ex HR straight away, wonder if Michael McCann is involved in this.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't want to be "that guy", but can we please make sure we are properly describing where these games will be? Several times now I've seen threads talking about new PlayStation games and they're actually multiplatform. I know excitement can get the better of some people and you just want to post from your source ASAP. But please try to be slightly more diligent.

CamHostage

I don't want to be "that guy", but can we please make sure we are properly describing where these games will be? Several times now I've seen threads talking about new PlayStation games and they're actually multiplatform. I know excitement can get the better of some people and you just want to post from your source ASAP. But please try to be slightly more diligent.

It's because sometimes the game gets posted by one platform holder or another on their blog or Youtube channel, then the rest of the news breaks when the press release goes out or the video goes out to other channels. It's not the OP's fault, and thread titles cannot be changed; the OP can edit their own post later, but it takes a MOD to make the title change. And until the news goes wide, the only info the OP knows is what's on the source they found.

It'd be great if GAF had better methods of adjusting threads after posting, or if there could be a gentle MOD queue system for when OPs need a hand... but people who aren't the OP can right now be "that good guy" by helping the OP out by flagging down a MOD or making a note in the soonest post available to make the thread clearer.

Certainly true in some cases. I've seen others where the information is out there but they just went with the first video or article they saw and ran with it. Those are the cases where I am asking for thread starters to be a little more thorough before they run to the boards.

People could do some looking, but at the time news breaks, search engines usually haven't picked it up yet so you've got to dig and run around official sites or newssites like IGN or GameInformer or Gematsu and read through to perfect-check your post. Is that work worth doing? Maybe, since there's no special kudos to being "first" with a thread. But ButchCat posted this trailer 5 minutes before even the official content went out elsewhere since PS YT jumped out early, so if speed is a good thing, maybe there's a way to have that due-diligence in the process without compromising on timeliness?

The solution I've seen others do here is make a more general thread title like "New game by ____ developer" and then put the Platforms in the post instead, that way it can be edited if needed. So OP would put "New game: Hell is Us by Rogue Factor aiming for a 2023 release"

Then put coming for PS5. All Platforms

There's ways, that's a good idea, but what's done is done and it's going to keep happening by accident or negligence one way or another.
I started a Community Topic about this, so maybe that'll help not overstuff this discussion without talking about the game. Don't think there's a bulletproof solution though.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It's because sometimes the game gets posted by one platform holder or another on their blog or Youtube channel, then the rest of the news breaks when the press release goes out or the video goes out to other channels. It's not the OP's fault, and thread titles cannot be changed; the OP can edit their own post later, but it takes a MOD to make the title change. And until the news goes wide, the only info the OP knows is what's on the source they found.

It'd be great if GAF had better methods of adjusting threads after posting, or if there could be a gentle MOD queue system for when OPs need a hand... but people who aren't the OP can right now be "that good guy" by helping the OP out by flagging down a MOD or making a note in the soonest post available to make the thread clearer.
Certainly true in some cases. I've seen others where the information is out there but they just went with the first video or article they saw and ran with it. Those are the cases where I am asking for thread starters to be a little more thorough before they run to the boards.

Yep, this happened with the new TMNT game. It got announced for switch and nothing else until much later, same with metal slug tactics

Platform holders never announce other platforms 3rd party games will release on so if they release the information its usually at a later time.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Game seems cool. I know roguelikes (I assume this is a roguelike? It actually doesn't say that in the bio) are the flavor of the moment, but there's been a lot of great games to come out of the phenomenon. And I like the mix of near-future and old-time fantasy here. Hopefully this turns out well.

BTW, this UE5 game is kind of what I was hoping the Epic Unreal Engine 5 Release Event last week would have had more of, actual games announced. I realize that was a developer's event first and foremost, but they awkwardly dropped the Tomb Raider news in there with no footage, and they had no other examples of studios (besides indie demosceners) using their new technology. Back when UE5 was announced in 2020, I really thought we'd be swimming in UE5 announcements by now (though the actual games would be and still are a ways away,) but at least we're getting to see professional studios and noted publishers showing retail product which will use the tech, so that's progress at least.

The Hell is Us trailer is not stunningly next-gen by any means (albeit those are a spooky amount of bodies,) but it's got some nice qualities that I'd like to see more of.

(BTW, for context: Rogue Factor made Warhammer 40K Necromunda: Underhive Wars and Mordheim: City of the Damned, two Games Workshop adaptations.)

Last edited:

The solution I've seen others do here is make a more general thread title like "New game by ____ developer" and then put the Platforms in the post instead, that way it can be edited if needed. So OP would put "New game: Hell is Us by Rogue Factor aiming for a 2023 release"

Then put coming for PS5. All Platforms

Last edited:

WitchHunter

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

how original

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

unique aesthetics, a teaser full of never before seen motifs

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, Hell is Us' Creative Director revealed the creative process of the game, its themes and guidelines.

Hell is Us is a 3rd-person action-adventure game that combines intense melee combat with the thrill of exploration. Explore a semi-open world to find answers to your questions and face mysterious creatures all along your journey.

#HELLisUS will be available on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series and PC in 2023.

Buggy Loop

Yo wtf, that's the guy behind the Deus Ex art style at Eidos Montreal, had no clue they started a new dev house. It looks fucking sick. So much talent in Montreal, if there's good money flowing in that studio to realize this game's vision, i have no doubt they'll pull it off.

Top Bottom