• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Insomniac interview about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

No it's nothing like that actually. What's wrong with you kid?
Yeah, you're right. That actually more impressive because it's instantaneous.

In case of R&C you see gaemplay, then on-rail section that's barely interactive and then jump to gameplay again.

You're absolutely correct!

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Ok, ok, ok people. If you enjoy this sort of crap I'm sure there's a game for you on that list:

Ratchet & Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet: Deadlocked
Future: Tools of Destruction
Future: Quest for Booty
Future: A Crack in Time
Into the Nexus
Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
All 4 One
Full Frontal Assault
Collection
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

How many more do you fucking need? Let it die. Let the team be creative and come up with something new and fresh.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
I played every single level in those games already, I want new ones. If every game had level packs released yearly I'd never stop playing Mega Man.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'd imagine Sony and Insomniac are working very close together to ensure hardware allocation is there for one of the first big must have first-party titles of the year. However, even with production estimates, I still think most people won't be able to just pick up a PS5 "off the shelf" this year. I think they save the release to either summer or fall.
Sony and Insomniac have both said its coming 1st half of 2021 aka "launch window."

Probably will come out in April or May.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, you're right. That actually more impressive because it's instantaneous.

In case of R&C you see gaemplay, then on-rail section that's barely interactive and then jump to gameplay again.

You're absolutely correct!

tenor.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Insomniac wasting time and talent on Ratchet & Clank. Makes me sad. This franchise should die with PS2.

They hated him because he spoke the truth.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is like listening to new Eminem...in 2021.

The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP...fine, I get it.

This is like getting pumped for Kamikaze though.

It's been a tired franchise for a looooong while. Money talks I guess.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

You know the saying, "If it's not broken..."

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I agree. The last good Fallout was New Vegas and my favorite ones are 1 and 2 to this day. What's your point?

My avatar represents all the platform that I play on. Sony Computer Entertainment background + Microsoft first party mascot + Nvidia logos.

You don't have a Fallout avatar because Microsoft bought Bethesda a few months ago, you have it because you love the franchise. And my point is that that franchise made it to four mainline games before even the fans knew it was bad - as you well know. We're up to... 10? Mainline Ratchet games, and they're still good.

Sometimes, when you're on to a winning formula, it's worth sticking to. Hell, Mario Odyssey is one of the best ones, and it's something like Mario 19.

Mr Hyde

Never played Ratchet and Clank before. Never really had an interest in the franchise, but this maybe will be the first. Looks very fun. But I'll probably not buy it day 1.

JimboJones

I played through R&C 2016 last year and while it played fine (although a little dull and simplistic overall), hated the dialogue, story, and characters, I mean HATED. It was so bad, and if I am being honest, took down my excitement for this game a few notches.

So we will see.
Same problem with Sonic when they add too much story junk.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's precisely why I choose this avatar. But thanks for telling me otherwise.

Yeah-huh. And I have a Hunter Thompson avatar because of Johnny Depp's legal case. Way to dodge the main point.

Yeah-huh. And I have a Hunter Thompson avatar because of Johnny Depp's legal case. Way to dodge the main point.
You're right. I'm just lying to myself. :messenger_grinning_sweat: You know me better than I know myself, senpai.

Let me pour another drink. Cheers to Ratchet & Clank 15!

AV

You're right. I'm just lying to myself. :messenger_grinning_sweat: You know me better than I know myself, senpai.

Let me pour another drink. Cheers to Ratchet & Clank 15!

That's the spirit. Salud!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why do they need to concetrate on innovation all of a sudden with 11 games under their belt?

Because sequels are never as good as the first movie.

Because Ratchet and Clank Rift Parts demo target is young kids who haven't played the 11 other Ratchet and Clank games.

Because there's not enough depth to that gameplay loop to sustain hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Because artists selling out is nothing new.

Because the future of gaming is too exciting to waste a developers talents on 2004 game design ethos.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Same problem with Sonic when they add too much story junk.

The problem isn't "too much story", the problem is "the story and characters in this game are fucking horrible." These games actually have very interesting and well-told stories, normally.

Compared to the original R&C it's just a total travesty. I know the game is ultimately, a tie-in to a movie, that was supposedly complete trash, but it really made me wary.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Kamikaze was good though. Plus, your taste in things just may be getting worse with age. :(

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I like these games, but I hope the gameplay can go a bit deeper. Or the combat can receive some meaningful tweaks. Am I asking too much?
Maybe it's the difficulty, but I sometimes feel like I'm just floating through the level with bolts flying everywhere.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Because sequels are never as good as the first movie.

Because Ratchet and Clank Rift Parts demo target is young kids who haven't played the 11 other Ratchet and Clank games.

Because there's not enough depth to that gameplay loop to sustain hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Because artists selling out is nothing new.

Because the future of gaming is too exciting to waste a developers talents on 2004 game design ethos.
This is an interative medium; there is far more involvement to enjoy that watching a passive medium for the 11th time.

If the game is for kids and they havent played the other 11 then why the need to innovate. Too them its a fresh idea. Adults see it as a trip down game mechanics lane.

Collectively, all the games have had the same gameplay loop, more or less, and together totals hundreds of hours, and people still buy them. As you say it's aimed at kids who have a shorter
concentration span and don't need 100 hours of gameplay to be satisfied.

I'm not sure what the selling out is suppose to mean in this case.

I don't see how a dev who has refined their franchise over years, and know what works, is somehow a waste of resources.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is an interative medium; there is far more involvement to enjoy that watching a passive medium for the 11th time.

If the game is for kids and they havent played the other 11 then why the need to innovate. Too them its a fresh idea. Adults see it as a trip down game mechanics lane.

Collectively, all the games have had the same gameplay loop, more or less, and together totals hundreds of hours, and people still buy them. As you say it's aimed at kids who have a shorter
concentration span and don't need 100 hours of gameplay to be satisfied.

I'm not sure what the selling out is suppose to mean in this case.

I don't see how a dev who has refined their franchise over years, and know what works, is somehow a waste of resources.

It's the same way we don't get excited for 2D platformers anymore.

The medium advances too quickly to keep 100+ developers making formulaic games over and over. We should be looking at the horizon in games, not the rearview mirror.

Rift Apart makes sense for kids new to console gaming, and it makes sense for Sony because the franchise helps keep the lights on.

But NeoGAF is a forum filled with men in their 30s. I don't get how anyone who's played more than a game or two can get excited for the same ****.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What is this "WE" that you speak of?

Look at all the Ori and the Will of the Wisps discussion here. Look at how it faired at the TGA's. Look at how it sold. Look at how much money publishers invest in these types of games.

The industry moves on and certain genres tail off.

Look at all the Ori and the Will of the Wisps discussion here. Look at how it faired at the TGA's. Look at how it sold. Look at how much money publishers invest in these types of games.

The industry moves on and certain genres tail off.

Yeah TLOU2 won all the awards and sold a lot. I guess the market wants those types of games more than 2D platformers. Doesn't make Ori 2 a failure though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You might want to go check out New Mario U Delux.

It sold 1/3rd of Odyssey on a console with a significantly younger demographic than the PlayStation 5. It's also only the 25th best selling Mario game of all time.

Let's not act like 2D platformers aren't well past their peak. You're allowed to enjoy them, but the market has moved on.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah TLOU2 won all the awards and sold a lot. I guess the market wants those types of games more than 2D platformers. Doesn't make Ori 2 a failure though.

I'm not saying it's a failure.

I'm saying Ratchet and Clank is very 2004. It's safe. It's predictable. It's probably an excellent kind of title for Insomniac to learn the PS5 hardware on.

But let's go. Let's figure out what games from 2025 are going to be like. Let's advance.

Azurro

Banned
You mean like this?

That's back in 2016. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

That's a cool trick, it was a single level, they were one on top of the other and were just not connected. So when you teleported, the game just changed your position to the other level on top. It's not the same, but you are just trolling and managed to bait quite a few people, so, I have to give that to you.

Ratchet and Clank is great and there are few games like that around.

Wonko_C

I'm not saying it's a failure.

I'm saying Ratchet and Clank is very 2004. It's safe. It's predictable. It's probably an excellent kind of title for Insomniac to learn the PS5 hardware on.

But let's go. Let's figure out what games from 2025 are going to be like. Let's advance.
Judging by the last 10+ years I honestly don't see much changing by then. Gaming has stagnated for the previous two generations. We need a paradigm shift that allows an explosion of new gaming concepts, and I believe VR is the catalyst for that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Judging by the last 10+ years I honestly don't see much changing by then. Gaming has stagnated for the previous two generations. We need a paradigm shift that allows an explosion of new gaming concepts, and I believe VR is the catalyst for that.

My theory...

Gaming stagnated, in large part, because console CPUs were so weak during the PS4/XBO generation.

I think the market is ripe for innovation (Fall Guys, Among Us, Phasmophobia) all came from small dev teams. The last two or three years is giving me a ton of optimism for the next 5.

It would be nice to see what Insomniac could do if they were given the green light to create something entirely new.

Ok, ok, ok people. If you enjoy this sort of crap I'm sure there's a game for you on that list:

Ratchet & Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Future: Tools of Destruction
Future: A Crack in Time
Into the Nexus
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

How many more do you fucking need? Let it die. Let the team be creative and come up with something new and fresh.

It's fun, simple and addictive design that just never gets old. In a way it's like a pixar franchise in game form ; it's also wonderful to see the visual improvements. Each generation they're in (minus PS2) they're kind of THE benchmark for 3D toon visuals, on a technical level anyway. Also, I took the side games and small ones off your list.

The first time I played tools of destruction, whoa.

Last edited:

AV

The market doesn't.

Hahaha, you wanna talk about what the market wants? Let's see the November 2020 NPDs

1. The 18th mainline COD game in 17 years
2. The 12th mainline AC game in 13 years
3. Glorified Spider-Man DLC from... the studio you're talking about
4. The I-can't-even-count(th) annual Madden game
5. The I-can't-even-count(th) annual NBA game
6. Musuo game with Zelda skin, and a sequel, but at least somewhat interesting
7. Ubisoft open world game
8. The 5th mainline Animal Crossing game in 19 years that's been out since March
9. The I-can't-even-count(th) annual FIFA game
10. A remake of an 11 year old game

Followed, as I'm sure you can guess, by the 8th MK game in 28 years which has been out for 6 years, a repackage of Nintendo platformers going back to the 90s and early 2000s... hell, it's surprising that GTA V didn't make the list again.

So, remind me again, what you think it is that "the market" wants?

And your definition of "innovation" includes a flash game which is just mafia/werewolf? Protip: it's popular because streamers said so. Among Us is not innovative in any way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom