• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Information from Quantic Dream's Star Wars: Eclipse (inspired by The Lats of Us) & Project The Dark Sorcerer

Draugoth

Gold Member
AccountNGT on Twitter today posted everything he knows so far about Quantic Dream's next projects:

Star Wars Eclipse
  • Action-Adventure
  • Based on interactive storytelling
  • Open World
  • Quantic Dream Montreal is working on multiplayer, gameplay and level design aspects
  • Quantic Dream Paris is working on cinematics, story, level art, engine...
  • Multiplayer Elements (Competitive)
  • Very (very) ambitious and original project
  • Development started early 2021
  • Not all the Paris Studio is working on Star Wars Eclipse
  • The development of this game is complicated
  • Many engine features had to be added / modified / extended
  • More playable characters than any other QD game
  • Non-linear storyline
  • Story still being written
  • Traditional action gameplay (Jedi Fallen Order-like for combat to have an example)
  • A mix of story and gameplay (The Last Of Us took as an inspiration)
  • Quantic Dream Montreal are working on gameplay prototypes
  • They have difficulty hiring staff
  • Coming on PlayStation, Xbox and PC
The Dark Sorcerer based game
  • Codenamed: Dreamland (Thanks @Tom_Henderson)
  • Based on The Dark Sorcerer demo
  • Humor based game
  • Core team in Paris
  • More advanced than Star Wars Eclipse
  • Cross-Gen (can be changed due to their new strategy)
  • Coming to PC aswell
  • Medieval Fantasy
  • Non-linear storyline
  • Story written by David Cage
  • In development since 2018/2019
Mobile card game
  • Codenamed: Spellcaster
  • In development since 2019
  • Coming on mobile devices
  • Card game
  • On Unity engine
  • Developed by a team at QD Paris
All from this Twitter timeline today:

Last edited:

Fbh

It will definitely be interesting to see them make a game in a different genre than their usual interactive movie one.

Since he specifically mentions that David Cage is writing the other game, I hope it means he isn't writing the Star Wars one (or at least not alone).

Last edited:
Hope I'm completely wrong and this is awesome but I'm not holding my breath that this won't be a pile of shit with shit characters and a shit story, as most things Star Wars are now. Not especially keen on a cinematic 3rd-person game either after Fallen Order was headed in the right direction (could have used a lot more action) in terms of gameplay.

yurinka

AccountNGT is a legit Quantic Dream leaker that was the original leaker of Star Wars Eclipse, so I believe this info. These games are promising, I'm specially interested on Star Wars Eclipse, the teaser was stunning.

I liked Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit and would like the see that -improved, as they did with Detroit- mixed with the high quality we're seeing in recent Star Wars products like The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett.

I'm curious about the Dark Sorcerer one too. I don't give a fuck about their mobile game.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Will be interesting to see what an action game brings to the table from them. Quite a break from their typical choose your own adventure style.

I've always liked the characters QD creates, even the really annoying ones seem to have good nuance, fingers crossed this is good.

EruditeHobo

If the action isn't good, this will be a failure.

But I'm optimistic. Fallen Order 2 coming, Respawn doing another SW shooter, and this... SW as a gaming IP finally looks poised to deliver on the most basic promise which suggests they might be capable of having multiple, varied, good-at-a-minimum products out in the market. And that hasn't been true for many, many, many years.

sendit

Way to ambitious for QD. They have not proven anything other than making highly detailed choose your own adventure games.

Inspector Q

Kind of strange that:

Star Wars: "Development started early 2021"

Dark Sorcerer: "In development since 2018/2019" but also "More advanced than Star Wars Eclipse"

A game which started dev 3 years earlier than the SW game is somehow more advanced than it? I wonder if it's because the Dark Sorcerer game seems to be more like the traditional QD games where the focus can be more on cinematics and graphics as opposed to gameplay?

The SW game sounds like a huge departure for them if they are actually creating a full fledged 3rd person action adventure game. This also makes the "More playable characters than any other QD game" kind of strange. It's easy to make multiple protag games when you are only controlling them via QTEs like their other games. It's going to be a bit more difficult to come up with so many characters when each of them has to be playable in a more traditional action/adventure sense.

Definitely intrigued, though. If they can somehow blend their normal "choose your own adventure" type of storytelling with an actual decent combat system...it could be great? Obviously, we need to see more than just a pretty cinematic before we get too excited.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Kind of strange that:

Star Wars: "Development started early 2021"

Dark Sorcerer: "In development since 2018/2019" but also "More advanced than Star Wars Eclipse"

A game which started dev 3 years earlier than the SW game is somehow more advanced than it? I wonder if it's because the Dark Sorcerer game seems to be more like the traditional QD games where the focus can be more on cinematics and graphics as opposed to gameplay?

The SW game sounds like a huge departure for them if they are actually creating a full fledged 3rd person action adventure game. This also makes the "More playable characters than any other QD game" kind of strange. It's easy to make multiple protag games when you are only controlling them via QTEs like their other games. It's going to be a bit more difficult to come up with so many characters when each of them has to be playable in a more traditional action/adventure sense.

Definitely intrigued, though. If they can somehow blend their normal "choose your own adventure" type of storytelling with an actual decent combat system...it could be great? Obviously, we need to see more than just a pretty cinematic before we get too excited.
More advanced = farther along in development.

AccountNGT on Twitter today posted everything he knows so far about Quantic Dream's next projects:

Star Wars Eclipse
  • Action-Adventure
  • Open World
  • Quantic Dream Montreal is working on multiplayer, gameplay and level design aspects
  • Quantic Dream Paris is working on cinematics, story, level art, engine...
  • Multiplayer Elements (Competitive)
  • Very (very) ambitious and original project
  • Development started early 2021
  • Not all the Paris Studio is working on Star Wars Eclipse
  • The development of this game is complicated
  • Many engine features had to be added / modified / extended
  • More playable characters than any other QD game
  • Non-linear storyline
  • Story still being written
  • Traditional action gameplay (Jedi Fallen Order-like for combat to have an example)
  • A mix of story and gameplay (The Last Of Us took as an inspiration)
  • Quantic Dream Montreal are working on gameplay prototypes
  • They have difficulty hiring staff
  • Coming on PlayStation, Xbox and PC
The Dark Sorcerer based game
  • Codenamed: Dreamland (Thanks @Tom_Henderson)
  • Based on The Dark Sorcerer demo
  • Humor based game
  • Core team in Paris
  • More advanced than Star Wars Eclipse
  • Cross-Gen (can be changed due to their new strategy)
  • Coming to PC aswell
  • Medieval Fantasy
  • Non-linear storyline
  • Story written by David Cage
  • In development since 2018/2019
Mobile card game
  • Codenamed: Spellcaster
  • In development since 2019
  • Coming on mobile devices
  • Card game
  • On Unity engine
  • Developed by a team at QD Paris
All from this Twitter timeline today:

I think you mean in the headline inspired by the last of us and not the lats of us.😉

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm not seeing a bullet point for usable controls.

Chukhopops

I don’t get why QD would make a competitive multiplayer open world game when the Star Wars theme was perfect for the kind of game they did so far… I just don’t get it. They had reached a very good formula with Detroit and all they had to do was reuse it with the Star Wars license.

wall devil GIF by South Park

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
ga damn, these replies.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm excited to see what it looks like.
Never been a fan of anything Star Wars, don't hate them, just doesn't do anything for me.

The Star Wars Eclipse trailer is first time the Star Wars universe has looked remotely interesting to me.
The tone, colour palette... I enjoyed the trailer as a whole. Among other things, it brought a visceral & kinetic feel to the universe; It's something that, for me, is not present in Star Wars.

proxy-image

Barakov

Gold Member
If that Star Wars game just started in 2021, then the 2024-2025 release date isn't that far fetched.

Agent X

I don't give a fuck about their mobile game.

I'm not terribly jazzed about a "card game" on mobile phones, either. There are so many of those games out there already, and I'm just not that interested in the genre. Even if it turns out to be high quality, it's likely to get lost in the shuffle.

It's too bad they haven't chosen to develop a graphic adventure game instead. Now there is a genre that isn't overrepresented on mobile devices. Quantic Dream already has a great reputation in this genre, and a new adventure game from them would have a much better chance of gathering attention.

yurinka

I'm not terribly jazzed about a "card game" on mobile phones, either. There are so many of those games out there already, and I'm just not that interested in the genre. Even if it turns out to be high quality, it's likely to get lost in the shuffle.

It's too bad they haven't chosen to develop a graphic adventure game instead. Now there is a genre that isn't overrepresented on mobile devices. Quantic Dream already has a great reputation in this genre, and a new adventure game from them would have a much better chance of gathering attention.
Well, I think QD's genre fits perfectly well mobile games. But I also think they also rely a lot on very realistic visuals due to their chosen artstyle, something not possible on mobile. I think it may fit and may be good, but with a few exceptioncs I don't like to play on mobile. Specially games like the QD ones, that feature high end visuals.

Agent X

Well, I think QD's genre fits perfectly well mobile games. But I also think they also rely a lot on very realistic visuals due to their chosen artstyle, something not possible on mobile.

I believe that mid-to-high-end mobile devices from the last few years should be capable of handling the visuals of a game like Heavy Rain. That game was released in February 2010 on PlayStation 3.Almost 12 years have passed, and I would say that the game still looks reasonably good for its age. By mobile standards, Heavy Rain would look rather stunning, especially to someone who is unfamiliar with the original.

There are a few reasons why you don't see many games like this on mobile devices with "realistic" visuals:
  • Most of the popular mobile games have cartoonish or stylized art.
  • Mobile developers tend to work on low budgets, and therefore don't have the resources to invest in making a game with large amounts of realistic modeling.
  • As a consequence of both of the above points, even developers who have the resources and the talent don't bother to try, because no one expects this level of realism in a mobile game.

At this time, there's probably not much point in a developer like Quantic Dream developing a brand new, original game in this genre, with the expected level of realistic graphics, and releasing it exclusively on mobile devices. However, it might not be a bad idea for them to port over one or more of their existing adventure games, to test the waters and see if there's a receptive audience. If they find success in doing this, then they'll have their engine in place, which means they can later bring out new games either exclusively for mobile, or simultaneously with console/PC versions.

If Sony is looking to venture back into mobile game publishing, then it might be beneficial for them to rekindle their partnership with Quantic Dream, so that they can bring their jointly developed properties to the mobile market.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Wait that dark sorcerer demo was about to become a real videogame aswell alongside star wars eclipse? GG Quantic Dream !!

Last edited:

MScarpa

AccountNGT is a legit Quantic Dream leaker that was the original leaker of Star Wars Eclipse, so I believe this info. These games are promising, I'm specially interested on Star Wars Eclipse, the teaser was stunning.

I liked Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit and would like the see that -improved, as they did with Detroit- mixed with the high quality we're seeing in recent Star Wars products like The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett.

I'm curious about the Dark Sorcerer one too. I don't give a fuck about their mobile game.
Unfortunately Alex, this is just his opinion. I'll believe it when I see it.

Top Bottom