• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hyper Realistic FPS 'Unrecord' Could be Coming to Xbox (Multi-Platform a Possibility)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Some of you may have seen a newly revealed first-person shooter called 'Unrecord' doing the rounds on social media and various other sites recently. The hyper realistic 'bodycam' FPS is really catching people's imaginations right now - in large part due to how good the game's graphics look. Well, if the game is actually real, it looks like it could be coming to Xbox some day.

Tucked into the dev team's Unrecord Discord channel is a small note on planned platforms. Right now the game is available to wishlist on Steam, but other platforms are being "considered" too. Here's the full FAQ answer:

"Unrecord will be released on PC, and we are considering other platforms. We want to reach as many players as possible while providing a high-quality experience. Platform availability will be updated."

So, an Xbox version of Unrecord isn't currently announced, but the team is looking at other platforms for the future and is hoping to expand its potential player base.

new-fps-unrecord-looks-hyper-realistic-and-it-could-be-coming-to-xbox-1.large.jpg

new-fps-unrecord-looks-hyper-realistic-and-it-could-be-coming-to-xbox-3.large.jpg

new-fps-unrecord-looks-hyper-realistic-and-it-could-be-coming-to-xbox-2.large.jpg

new-fps-unrecord-looks-hyper-realistic-and-it-could-be-coming-to-xbox-4.large.jpg

Unrecord developer DRAMA hasn't mentioned Xbox Game Pass at all right now, but combing through that above answer could give us a hint. The team wants "to reach as many players as possible" with Unrecord, and subscription services like Xbox Game Pass could help with that. Nothing is confirmed for Game Pass right now, but here's hoping that maybe one day we could see Unrecord on Game Pass!

UE5 and Lumen are insane. What's even more insane is that it's being done by a single indie dev. We have come a long way of being able to access such technology and literally at 0 cost. The only way Epic charges you, is if you've sold $1,000,000 worth of sale or some crazy number like that. Epic Games are gods

Here is official quote from their FAQ "A 5% royalty is due only if you are distributing an off-the-shelf product that incorporates Unreal Engine code (such as a game) and the lifetime gross revenue from that product exceeds $1 million USD; in this case, the first $1 million remains royalty-exempt."

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why is this turning into a console war thread?
Turning into? That's what it was made as considering there's already a thread for the game if you want to vaguely discuss where it might land on, which right now is PC for sure (assuming it gets completed) and not saying no to other platforms rather than anything specifically Xbox.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing!

A few observations:
  • The video tightly controls what is seen and what is not. I'm guessing this is to cover issues with the engine or the abilities of the team.
  • I see barely any hud or aiming reticule, character faces are obscured, characters and puddles on the floor look superimposed somehow (not a problem stylistically but it might also be that they were added or combined in post with video editing).
  • There seems to be an attempt to avoid showing outdoor and indoor environments simultaneously (could be due to some light rendering issue?).
  • The transition from outdoors to indoors at the start seems carefully choreographed and the movement and lighting and framerate seem a little different somehow.
  • The camera movement adds to the effect but would be nausea inducing during actual gameplay.
  • Graffiti on concrete is an environment we've seen rendered well in fps games since the days of the 360 so the realistic effect would be more impressive to me in a different environment.
All that being said, it does look fresh and fascinating and I'd probably be interested in playing it.

It looks real, but not in the last place because of the combination of extreme lens distortion and shaky camera motion.

There’s a small bit where the player walks relatively slowly up some stairs in the dark and it becomes really obvious that we are looking at game assets.

Looks like he uses Nanite meshes for some assets, but not the environment itself, which looks like normal game low poly stuff.

Still extremely impressive especially for a single dev.

decisions

The reason this doesn’t feel like a real “game” to me is that a lot of the choices made are not practical to actually playing it.

Keep in mind most hardcore FPS players immediately turn off the minimal head bob camera animation present in a lot of modern games. This would be absolutely nauseating to play in the first 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
What the fuck... my brain is confused by this gameplay. I want this game. I want this game and its probably unconventional controls.

Guilty_AI

The reason this doesn’t feel like a real “game” to me is that a lot of the choices made are not practical to actually playing it.

Keep in mind most hardcore FPS players immediately turn off the minimal head bob camera animation present in a lot of modern games. This would be absolutely nauseating to play in the first 2 minutes.
i actually thought this was a VR game at first. The camera movement feels way too natural, and i don't mean that as a good thing if its really just a traditional fps.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks impressive but I'm not sure if I can play through a 5~8 hour game with that ridiculous fish eye effect, probably gonna make me sick after the first 2 hours.

Alexios you are sending me some mixed messages with the changing emotes lol

Last edited:

badblue

I think this game is going to come down to how it feels to play. Looks beautiful but the motion and the aiming matter more in these type of games.

Looking forward to trying out at least at some point.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
looks like a tech demo to me, its looks INCREDIBLE.
But it plays like your normal FPS.

Mr.Phoenix

looks like a tech demo to me, its looks INCREDIBLE.
But it plays like your normal FPS.
I couldn't disagree more. I can't even think of a single FPS that has that atmosphere. So much so that you wonder if it's real or just dev shenanigans.

To OP though, this is a very misleading article.

Top Bottom