• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo Infinite PC 32:9 super ultrawide screenshots

VN1X

Banned
Uuuh, microsoft has been positioning this game as their “big next gen” game for the past two years. Graphics are important in this regard, as microsoft has scarcely anything else coming soon thats new and going to be a visual showcase. Its especially jarring when your competition has better looking first party games so far on weaker hardware.
Fair enough.

Personally I think it looks fine, especially when it'll (hopefully) run at 4K60 on the Series X (and beyond on PC). That's no small feat considering it's open world design and the amount of action that'll happen on screen.

If only you could talk to the grunts though, now THAT would be next-gen!

Last edited:
343 Industries has released three more screenshots from the PC version of Halo Infinite, showcasing its 32:9 super ultrawide support

910213.jpg

Halo Infinite PC promises to offer a buttery smooth experience on mouse and keyboard
Local multiplayer server is also confirmed
Other players on your LAN, both PC and Xbox, are able to join your local server and play multiplayer with you
Ranked matches will have restricted competitive playlists based on input type
External flights and playtesting has started with very good feedback, heartening in many areas and impactful in others
They made an anti-cheat solution that doesn’t get in the way, doesn’t root your machine, doesn’t block your legitimate applications – they want it the most unobtrusive thing possible
The game will support most ultrawide aspect ratios (21:9, 32:9 and beyond), will have advances graphics settings, and will offer cross-play and cross-progression
Most expansive Halo game yet (if you still doubted)

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_spire_32x9_wm-4926c5c11eea444daab70d0bd1dbd0e7.png
haloinfinite_campaign_pc_fov78_32x9_wm-3fbf0e1071f741ab96c5d180b81c6730.png
haloinfinite_campaign_pc_32x9_wm-9194fba57f384695964cd4d794e607d6.png

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_ring_21x9-9bc8168f0b9b49d28aa515e31bc93d91.png

Similar to the Halo games in the MCC, Halo Infinite will come with a Field of View slider.
It will also allow PC gamers to tweak numerous settings such as Dynamic Lights, Shadows, Reflections and more.

E0LSAUTXMAMd8uK

E0LSGg5WEAchY0Q

The PC version will let you tweak your in-game experience to your liking across a variety of different settings
You also have the ability to maintain a minimum framerate (thanks to DRS) and specify a maximum framerate (including uncapped)

Options menu (not complete):

haloinfinite_pc_settings_minfr_wm-ebfe623a11eb45c3a278fb5620acc45c.png
haloinfinite_pc_settings_gfx_wm-fd1c20c9f4cd4abf9b9db80f119fc862.png
haloinfinite_pc_settings_kbm_wm-ec9c45f08559418ebab9979e485e2d37.png

super ultra wide is the future imo, remember seeing doom , on a panny wide screen back in the day, in hmv , and like yeahh. the wider the better imo.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope they added more effects around the combat, game really looked like destiny to me without any of the cool stuff going on in a battle.

if they fix this stuff it would be great.

Redlight

Fucking hell, 3 static screenshots and it brings out all the usual drive by shit posters.

Let’s at least wait until we see something more substantial before you let rip again huh?

Looks like Halo. Looks better than any Halo released so far. More importantly, if it plays as well as the others that will be me sorted for a year!
Just be certain of one thing, those same people will criticise Infinite on release no matter what. It has nothing to do with the game, it's the platform they don't like.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Can't wait to dip my toes and travel to this world :) I can feel there's going to be tons of fan service , awesome music and sound design.

Last edited:
Game looks amazing for the scale and ambition and I love the lighting. While people seem to only be focusing on one element of the game, which is the graphics department, as if it's the only important factor at play where this game is concerned, I'm busy thinking of all the sick ass tactical gameplay possibilities and all the different ways I'll be to approach a situation and handle encounters. I'm thinking of what I'll end up finding in the game world as I explore

People don't seem to realize when they're looking at LODs. Do people honestly believe the further out trees will actually look like that when you're closer to them? Be real. We've already seen newer gameplay shots that are closer to the trees, and it looks fantastic. This game from the start was going for a very specific art style, one that is less focused on hyper realism, but is going for a nice in-between real and paying homage to the original Halo CE artstyle. I don't care about a random brute looking as good as the Chief or the Pilot, so long as the more important enemy characters end up looking the part. Halo Infinite isn't trying to look like Call of Duty or Battlefield folks, it's trying to look like Halo. It had its own visual identity from the start, and I'm quite confident it will look utterly stunning when we see the final product in motion. There's never been this much detail in a Halo game with such large and open environments.

I'm stunned anyone is surprised with what the size of battles are likely to be like that enemy models won't look like the stuff in Halo Wars 2 CG. Look at the brutes, and that's more or less the art style you're going to get out of any other character. Anyway, I'll let people worry and stress over thinking this game won't look fantastic on release. I personally can't wait.
I never quite understood all the hate and negativity towards Infinite's graphics.

The current gen consoles (PS5 and Series) aren't true 4K 60 machines. Their optimal resolution for displaying next gen assets (geometry, texture and effects) is around 1440p.

2160p native IS HARD ON THESE MACHINES and limits them greatly.

A 60fps game per se IS demanding. On Xbox original and 360, Halo was always (if there were exceptions correct me) a 30fps game. That framerate gave enough render time for the original Xbox to display all those bump mapped textures (that was revolutionary and I was floored seeing how the textures interacted with Chief's flashlight) and light sources. The 30fps did the same for the 360 which brought those beautiful water shaders, HDR-like lighting and really detailed textures. Halo on original Xbox and 360 would look very different if the devs targeted 60fps.

In Infinite's case the devs are targeting 4K 60 and the visuals will suffer for it. But even so I can see the world is really large, the models have dense geometry and the textures, when properly lit, are really detailed (the infamous last year trailer displayed what appeared to be displacement/parallax mapping on the ground) and the performance was a rock solid 60fps.

I think that when judging Infinite's graphics we should bear in mind that the developers have chosen a resolution and render time that is outside the current gen's consoles comfort zone performance wise and there will be a graphical penalty for that.

MOTM

Banned
Everytime I look at it It kind of gave me a feeling of a remaster of a old game . Hard to describe , it doesnt look "that bad" but doesnt give me a feel of modern game .
There’s definitely something off about how this game looks and nobody seems to be able to put their finger on it..

There is nothing they could do to make the graphics good enough for people here lol so I guarantee you are correct.

I just hope it is a good game then. I'm not hyped because of this underwhelming graphics. But I might pick it up on PC one day on sale.

dem

Yeah right a good game is only good when Graphics are good... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Oy vey

The graphics look bad to me. That’s it.

I say this as a certified Gamepass warrior. My only console is a Series X. Game looks BAD.

And for this to be the big offering 1 year after launch.. Oof.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
This could be true. We'll see. I already don't like the materials in those screenshots. They look like Gears/DOOM metal which is completely wrong. I hope they go back and revisit their material shaders.

Yeah you took the words right out of my mouth.

Reminds me of X2: The Threat back when those shaders and bump mapping were all the rage.

Zooming in on the enemy models they still look as underwhelming as they did last time. Hate to be a party pooper but not impressed.

It's funny, Nintendo can release a game with graphics from 7 years ago and "its all about the gameplay" but ms get held to some sort of imaginary higher standard. I mean halo has always been a decent looking game on each system, but it was never the cutting edge graphics showcase, it was the story, gameplay, and decent graphics that combined into a great game.

Regardless of that, if I were a betting person, I'd say the graphics will end up 7.5-8/10 in the end, the detractors will say 5/10, and the halo nuts will say 9/10. Hopefully the gameplay and story are good to go with it.....

Erm maybe when clowns like you are shouting about 12tf monsters that eat planets for breakfast hype up stuff. How many times did we hear how hr infinite reveal would blow us away.

How short peoples memories are, to change their narrative.

ZywyPL

Banned
MP is where it’s gonna be. Who care if it look like shit! Fortnite, COD, apex etc look bad but are great mp games

All of the mentioned games look really nice, their technical level and artstyle perfectly match together, which cannot be said about Halo, there's just something wrong with how the game looks, like they want to have super clean, razor sharp image, but no actual details that would justify such picture quality pursuit.

dcmk7

Banned
The graphics are still underwhelming.

But its a new Halo and as long as the gameplay is good, which it looks to be, then it's all good.

II_JumPeR_I

While the indoor environments look slightly better, the outdoor environment is still in shambles:
  • Same 2-3 models of those lifeless trees,
  • Same Craig model
  • Low polygon, low texture on rocks and mountains
  • No meaningful tessellation on the ground
  • Very poor quality shadows
  • Low-quality clouds
I am expecting only marginal improvements. But that'd be a shame after a ~15 months delay.
Its really weird. The last couple of new Screenshots really didnt Show a big improvement like they claimed.
And time wasting until E3 gets really annoying... just fucking show the game in motion in this blogposts.
The game wont change that much anymore

I’ve accepted the game graphics aren’t going to be all that.
The game is still very pretty and I’m very excited to play the game

I never quite understood all the hate and negativity towards Infinite's graphics.

The current gen consoles (PS5 and Series) aren't true 4K 60 machines. Their optimal resolution for displaying next gen assets (geometry, texture and effects) is around 1440p.

2160p native IS HARD ON THESE MACHINES and limits them greatly.

A 60fps game per se IS demanding. On Xbox original and 360, Halo was always (if there were exceptions correct me) a 30fps game. That framerate gave enough render time for the original Xbox to display all those bump mapped textures (that was revolutionary and I was floored seeing how the textures interacted with Chief's flashlight) and light sources. The 30fps did the same for the 360 which brought those beautiful water shaders, HDR-like lighting and really detailed textures. Halo on original Xbox and 360 would look very different if the devs targeted 60fps.

In Infinite's case the devs are targeting 4K 60 and the visuals will suffer for it. But even so I can see the world is really large, the models have dense geometry and the textures, when properly lit, are really detailed (the infamous last year trailer displayed what appeared to be displacement/parallax mapping on the ground) and the performance was a rock solid 60fps.

I think that when judging Infinite's graphics we should bear in mind that the developers have chosen a resolution and render time that is outside the current gen's consoles comfort zone performance wise and there will be a graphical penalty for that.
Infinite would also look very different if MS didn't develop it to run on a Jaguar CPU. Will it run at 60fps on Xbox One? Hmmm

Oy vey

The graphics look bad to me. That’s it.

I say this as a certified Gamepass warrior. My only console is a Series X. Game looks BAD.

And for this to be the big offering 1 year after launch.. Oof.
Bad is a bit of an exaggeration no? I think the game still looks very pretty, although not next gen like, but it’s clear there’s a stylized element to the art style that they are going for

dem

Bad is a bit of an exaggeration no? I think the game still looks very pretty, although not next gen like, but it’s clear there’s a stylized element to the art style that they are going for

them trees look like something out of deer hunter 2018

Chiggs

Looks underwhelming, but I'm happy to see ultrawide support.

Will buy it on Steam for no higher than $29.99.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its really weird. The last couple of new Screenshots really didnt Show a big improvement like they claimed.
And time wasting until E3 gets really annoying... just fucking show the game in motion in this blogposts.
The game wont change that much anymore
I see your point, but I'm okay waiting until E3, considering Xbox will need their flagship game to show on the year's biggest stage for them.

My only concern is that just "please don't present a product like you did last year." Now that people have seen games like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart & Forspoken and will be seeing Horizon Forbidden West and likely God of War Ragnarok around E3 2021, that will become a PR nightmare for MS and Xbox that will be very hard to recover from.

It looks alright, not mind-blowing, but decent. Should have been a Series/PC exclusive to be honest.
I get it it wants to be a super popular game. Probably trying to enter the “fortnite” market space and it has a chance with all the choices in customs games, competitive multiplayer, forge, campaign, firefight etc...

Probably better it appeals to the lowest common denominator, it is a multiplayer first game after all

I'm good with what I've seen so far. This is a game running on the X1 since MS is all about blurring generations to reach a mass audience. There have always been prettier games but graphics were never what Halo was about. I'm ready to see it at e3.

Loope

I never thought of Halo as graphical masterpiece, but something looks odd in those screenshots. Even for a cross gen game.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Just be certain of one thing, those same people will criticise Infinite on release no matter what. It has nothing to do with the game, it's the platform they don't like.
Utter ballicks, I'm sure there's a few kids on here that still go with that playground shite but I want to see MS come out swinging and provide proper competition to Sony, I had an OG Xbox and 360 but switched to a PS4 when they fucked up their message and tech at the start of last gen, loved the original Halo games and to be perfectly honest the reveal of this was so utterly underwhelming and shite when MS should've been firing a fuck off shot over Sonys bow that I still can't for the life of me figure out why the fuck nobody on the Xbox management team didn't haul these cunts over the coals over it or allow that abomination to be shown... Like I said I'm probably hyperboling here but it looks shit and it shouldn't, it should've been MS Killzone Shadow fall reveal and it doesn't even come close to the graphics in KZ..

I want MS to melt my eyes, they have the damned hardware, let's see it opened up ffs

chigstoke

I suspect that no one is going to give a toss about what it looks like if the campaign and multiplayer are up to standard. It’s evidently been developed as a cross gen game and unfortunately there isn’t anything we can do about it now.

Give me a high frame rate on pc though and that’ll do, I accepted the graphics sadly weren’t going to blow me away after that poor first gameplay showing.

R&C though showing how balls to the wall you can go by avoiding previous gen. Looks stunning (never played the series but defo need to jump in before Rift Apart comes out)

Top Bottom