• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo Infinite info revealed in huge Q&A: Day/night cycle, dynamic weather and more

Stuart360

The game’s open world is inspired by the Silent Cartographer mission from the original Halo, in that it gives players the freedom to choose how to approach each mission, with whatever weapons or vehicles they decide to use.

When asked if the open world means players could grab a Banshee and drive to an objective three missions ahead in the story, the reply was “do it”.

b57.gif

Stuart360

Promises - Hype - Disappointment- Anger - new Promises - Hype.....
The circle repeats endlessly with gamers and they don`t seem to learn.
This is especially dumb with games like this that had to be pulled once already due to sheer management incompetence.....and yet, people are already snorting the new slew of promises. I can count the number of successful 180s in fucked up game development over the last 20 years on one hand and yet here we are.....
So in other words, never get excited about the game again because of the reveal?, write it off as a joke, poor scorn on 343, Halo, and Microsoft, post constant Craig memes instead, etc.

tenor.gif

FireFly

This is especially dumb with games like this that had to be pulled once already due to sheer management incompetence.....and yet, people are already snorting the new slew of promises. I can count the number of successful 180s in fucked up game development over the last 20 years on one hand and yet here we are.....
Games not being ready for launch is the norm, not the exception in this industry. The difference is that unlike say CDPR, Microsoft was willing to give the game more time. According to the video, 343 were aware of the issues the game had (such as with the material pipeline and lighting system), and are now able to address them before the game launches.

Perhaps it would also be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the Bungie made Halo games and the development issues they had.

sainraja

How much detail do we have about the game in gameplay/world terms?

Are they setting it up to be like Bungie's Destiny? I know that the plan is to continuously update the game. So I am kinda expecting that.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Although I am a big Halo fan, I have never been big into the campaigns. You play them once and then what? The Destiny 1 approach was far better, giving you reasons to re-play it.

Halo is mostly about multiplayer to me. When are we going to get info about that? Halo 5 was fantastic once I gave it a chance (and it's campaign is unfairly maligned, it's gameplay and level design are top notch).

the_master

Can't wait to experience the 3D ring. How will that feel in comparison to a skydome in terms of size, presence and looks.
I think it is great that they do this sessions to answer questions. I hope they pull it off!
I am replaying Halo again in the MCC, such good games.

Razvedka

Banned
I wonder how 'big' the world map will be then? Will the entire ring itself be accessible? I can't imagine that's true, that's just too massive.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I wonder how 'big' the world map will be then? Will the entire ring itself be accessible? I can't imagine that's true, that's just too massive.
Exactly, there's no way it's the whole ring. I'm guessing it's just a large section of it.

Cravis

I’ll only play if I can play through the entire game with Craig by my side. Make it a buddy cop adventure with MC and Craig and I will be there day one

sainraja

Although I am a big Halo fan, I have never been big into the campaigns. You play them once and then what? The Destiny 1 approach was far better, giving you reasons to re-play it.

Halo is mostly about multiplayer to me. When are we going to get info about that? Halo 5 was fantastic once I gave it a chance (and it's campaign is unfairly maligned, it's gameplay and level design are top notch).
I can't stop playing Destiny 2. I have never really been addicted to a game but I feel like I am now! That is all I am playing these days. lol

Phase

I really miss being excited about Halo.
Understatement of the decade. I really feel you. Watching what it was to where it is now is painful. Every one of my friends used to play Halo and love it, now it's barely mentioned. Knowing that the multiplayer is free, I'll no doubt try it out but my hope of a great Halo game has long faded. I'm just hoping for a fun mp shooter now.

Bar81

While people declaring this game a wreck before it's out are clearly trolling, the same could be said about the unabashed fawning of others.

Status atm:

(1) We have a game that was so bad on reveal that even MS couldn't release it and pushed it back a year (recall that MS thought that MCC was good to release so Infinite had to be in very bad shape)

(2) We've seen some much improved static art recently that no reasonable person can say doesn't look good.

(3) Barely six or so months after the trainwreck reveal, 343 is back talking a bunch of shit without backing it up - it's obvious why that is, there's no way they could have taken a game in that condition to anything good in that time.

Until 343 have a real time demo showing real improvement they really should STFU.

FireFly

(3) Barely six or so months after the trainwreck reveal, 343 is back talking a bunch of shit without backing it up - it's obvious why that is, there's no way they could have taken a game in that condition to anything good in that time.

Until 343 have a real time demo showing real improvement they really should STFU.
The main things 343 are talking about, and which the OP highlights, are the structure of the world, the story and gameplay progression, and the dynamism of the environments. None of these elements were showcased in the reveal, because it was a single gameplay encounter at a single point in time, with no clue as to how this related to the rest of the game as a whole. Realistically, you could have been shown that kind of demo for any Halo game. That's why after the demo there were so many questions about whether Infinite was an open world game or a semi-open world game or a wide-linear game. And I think it would be kind of perverse to criticise 343 for trying to shed more light on the arguably most important unresolved questions!

Which comes back to the main criticisms of the demo, which were about the presentation, not the gameplay. This means that the visual fidelity of anything 343 show will now be intently critiqued and compared to the prior footage, whether it reveals a substantial and interesting chunk of gameplay or not. In this context it makes perfect sense for 343 to wait until the visuals are as polished as possible before showing anything again. And to spend that time actually trying to answer fan questions, rather than simply going silent.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo has been notoriously linear but open world is something 343 can learn over time.

stickkidsam

To be fair, it's alright to get hyped provided you understand they very well could be lying. If you accept that then should promises be broken you won't need to buy new pants.

Exanthus

Banned
The game needed more time, I'm glad they got it.
Silent Cartographer was my favourite Halo mission so they nailed the inspiration. And given this game will be expanded upon for the next 10 years I totally expect single player dlc with more of the ring being exploredcin the future.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Sounds like they really understand the core of the franchise and are finally adding in the things fans have been asking for....

This game is launching in fall but they still don't have any trailers that are "official" / up to date right?

Redlight

What on earth...

Why are you soo defensive? There isn't anything in that post to warrant bringing up Sony and attempting to descend this thread into yet another episode of console war bickering.

The whole industry is guilty of over-promising. Think No Man's Sky. It's an industry wide problem.

Some around here are just way too obsessed with Sony and seemingly get triggered at the mere hint of any sort of pessimism in a user's post.
Do you think your 'How dare you! I'm not a console warrior!' camo actually works?
It doesn't and people understandably react to constant anti-Xbox trolling, here and in other threads.

Not that you're helping, here's some recent hot takes of yours, you independent thinker you...

Gamepass
I think it's a good place for AA games.

Zenimax games on PS5
I would assume it means if the series existed previously on that console then the series will continue to see titles.

Bethesda acquisition
It hardly seems strategic. And there are still hints that the familiar IP will be on PS.. despite the game subscription service.

PS5 coil whine
I wouldn't put it past some fanatics to invent problems with their systems to score some 'points'.

Kind of seems like there's a theme emerging doesn't it? That's fine btw, just try not to act like you're above it all.

Lone Wolf

Sounds like they really understand the core of the franchise and are finally adding in the things fans have been asking for....

This game is launching in fall but they still don't have any trailers that are "official" / up to date right?
Not yet. I expect something around E3 or whatever we will get this summer. Summer game fest?

wipeout364

Halo 5 was hot garbage so I am not optimistic for this as it’s the same group that thought Halo 5 was great.
I would absolutely love to be proven wrong though as I loved all the Halo games up to and including reach.

ZehDon

I look forward to seeing this in action. One of the biggest detractors of the Halo Infinite gameplay reveal was the lifeless world. Nothing moved, the environment didn't react to anything, and nothing felt alive. Combined with the overall lack of detail, it made the game feel utterly primitive. Dynamic weather, dynamic wind system; these are the smaller details that help worlds come alive in video games. I hope they've spent some time making sure objects in the world also react to these systems. For example, if the wind system moves grass and trees, but NPCs and objects don't react - materials don't get wet in the rain, hair doesn't move, clothes don't billow - then it'll start to detract again.

Anyway, for as good as this sounds, I'm still pessimistic until they show off real gameplay that's worthy of the Halo name. 343i don't get the benefit of the doubt from me; they're ruled incompetent until proven otherwise.

Kokoloko85

Id like to see some new gameplay. Like the new details and graphics.

I love Halo.
Just the last gameplay segment wasn’t impressive. If 343 don’t do a good job its time someone else look after the series

dcmk7

Banned
Do you think your 'How dare you! I'm not a console warrior!' camo actually works?
It doesn't and people understandably react to constant anti-Xbox trolling, here and in other threads.

Not that you're helping, here's some recent hot takes of yours, you independent thinker you...

Gamepass
I think it's a good place for AA games.

Zenimax games on PS5
I would assume it means if the series existed previously on that console then the series will continue to see titles.

Bethesda acquisition
It hardly seems strategic. And there are still hints that the familiar IP will be on PS.. despite the game subscription service.

PS5 coil whine
I wouldn't put it past some fanatics to invent problems with their systems to score some 'points'.

Kind of seems like there's a theme emerging doesn't it? That's fine btw, just try not to act like you're above it all.

A theme of what? My opinions at that particular moment? Good spot. Well done.

What I responded to, was to a user who massively overreacted to a generic post about studios over promising, attempting to start another SonyToo shitfest... In a Halo thread about weather cycles.

What part of those quotes highlighted am I trying to troll or ignite a console war exactly?

But ok, i'll touch on them very briefly..

There were hints.. from the CFO weeks after the acquisition was announced that series that existed on other consoles would continue.

I do think GamePass is good for AA titles such as The Medium, Battletoads, Call of the Sea. Strange thing to bring up.

Invent problems with their consoles to score points.. Do you think that is beneath some users on here? Ok then.

Edit: Just seen your post history and you seemingly don't like to debate at all but rather antagonise users. Whatever keeps you entertained bud. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom