• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo Infinite Images reveal Enemies & Craig's new look

When 343 tells you they're using the environment to tell the story, believe them. Salvage operation for UNSC equipment? Check, check, check. Look at the stuff scattered throughout the environment, and look how nicely detailed they are despite just being in the background. Great textures, great geometry.

And that jackal blood splatter at floor.

haloinfinitegameplay_4k_02-2aac0699b4c64b9a9cd0d2f52aa09499.png

Fast Travel is now online via the Pelican because the Forward Operating Base Golf has likely been captured by the player. Notice the area went from just 2 Spartan Cores from the view of the tacmap in the campaign to now 8. There also appears to be 2 assassination targets on the map. This game sounds so fucking badass. We now have 4 confirmed "Spartan Killers" amongst the Banished, there are assassination dossiers. So damn good.

haloinfinite_tacmap-4k-04481aa434ba4581ad9017e3048c27b3.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It looks much better but... still not looking next gen to me.

nothing looks next gen to me bar forza horizon 5 and that’s a cross gen game….so it goes to show next gen hasn’t existed yet this gen and it probably never will. Maybe next gen.

gen

next

gen Gen

Last edited:

Wimbledon

I really like what 343i is doing with the armor for the brutes but one thing i will say this brute Hyperious i like his design the most. It gives me that war torn vibe similar to something like Guan yu or lu bu other warrior from the 3 kingdoms series. Where they just look heavy adjourning trophies of whom they killed. Like Hyperious litterally has a necklace of Spartans fingers around his neck and locke helmet and chest armor on his shoulder. I really love the heavy armor design and the power it exudes, I just wish Echarum the main dude calling out Chief wore a helmet. But i have really grown to like brutes even more they live for battle and glory.

sqDg4K6.jpg
PQFE8Nk.jpg
AdZKnxG.jpg

Halo enemies always looked dumb to me except the Elites. Not in a bad way

Like these guys look like some dopey mother fuckers and will be hilarious to kill

7XAIr7X.jpg

Precisely. They've always looked silly, but they are some absolutely deadly snipers lol. This is one of the reasons I love Halo. It has more narrative flexibility than most other shooters because of its lore.

Precisely. They've always looked silly, but they are some absolutely deadly snipers lol. This is one of the reasons I love Halo. It has more narrative flexibility than most other shooters because of its lore.

Halo has such a weird feel to it sometimes. In Halo Combat Evolved the game somewhat took itself seriously but not really at same time.

The grunts are obvious comic relief with their shit talking or scaredy cat dialogue when they know they are getting wrekt.

But then you get to the flood and it turns into a semi horror FPS game with the darker atmosphere and the whole zombie version of space aliens.

Overall though, I'd say that Halo is in between light/dark and rather just neutral tone on what the game is trying to portray.

The game never scared me even when I was a kid.

Now a franchise like Half Life on the other hand... well..let's just say I couldn't get past post the failed experiment sequence in the original game. The headcrabs and headcrab zombies scared the living shit out my 7 year old self and I didn't play it till I got a tad older lol.

Last edited:
Halo has such a weird feel to it sometimes. In Halo Combat Evolved the game somewhat took itself seriously but not really at same time.

The grunts are obvious comic relief with their shit talking or scaredy cat dialogue when they know they are getting wrekt.

But then you get to the flood and it turns into a semi horror FPS game with the darker atmosphere and the whole zombie version of space aliens.

Overall though, I'd say that Halo is in between light/dark and rather just neutral tone on what the game is trying to portray.

Now a franchise like Half Life on the other hand... well..let's just say I couldn't get past post the failed experiment sequence in the original game. The headcrabs and headcrab zombies scared the living shit out my 7 year old self and I didn't play it till I got a tad older lol.

I've never finished a single Resident Evil game except 4. The others made me feel way too vulnerable and weak, so I was scared shitless lol.

Fredrik

I really like what 343i is doing with the armor for the brutes but one thing i will say this brute Hyperious i like his design the most. It gives me that war torn vibe similar to something like Guan yu or lu bu other warrior from the 3 kingdoms series. Where they just look heavy adjourning trophies of whom they killed. Like Hyperious litterally has a necklace of Spartans fingers around his neck and locke helmet and chest armor on his shoulder. I really love the heavy armor design and the power it exudes, I just wish Echarum the main dude calling out Chief wore a helmet. But i have really grown to like brutes even more they live for battle and glory.

sqDg4K6.jpg
PQFE8Nk.jpg
AdZKnxG.jpg
Cool I hadn’t spot that before, he has a chestplate or something on his thigh as well. Badass!

Fredrik

I could never play Halo 1-3, they got me motion sick, I have only played 4 and 5, have no idea what the flood is 🤐

This is super misleading.

One is in-game, that new image is cinematic. One of the developers cautioned people on twitter. They might be setting themselves up for failure by doing this.
These developers can't help themselves when it comes to lying and misleading their fanbase. It's an industry wide thing. Pathetic.

You still don’t get it do you ….. nobody cares !!! 😂
I care because I'm tired of developers rarely ever being honest with people. CdProjectRed lying about Cyberpunk. How many times have we seen downgrades? Why is every game that'd not 4k marketed as 4k these days. Even my beloved Naughty Dog showed that e3 trailer that looked better to the actual game. Some of you have just accepted being lied to for so long.

Fredrik

One is in-game, that new image is cinematic. One of the developers cautioned people on twitter. They might be setting themselves up for failure by doing this.
That was about the main villain in the cinematic trailer, not these new character images.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Whilst obviously a huge improvement, It's still not blowing me away for next gen modelling, TBH.

I guess my wish for a Halo that looks like the remastered cut scenes in Halo 2, in real time, goes on..Maybe Xbox Series Y.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
I care because I'm tired of developers rarely ever being honest with people. CdProjectRed lying about Cyberpunk. How many times have we seen downgrades? Why is every game that'd not 4k marketed as 4k these days. Even my beloved Naughty Dog showed that e3 trailer that looked better to the actual game. Some of you have just accepted being lied to for so long.
You’re taking it way out of proportion. They litteraly just dropped a 6 min gameplay trailer.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Or rather most of us understand that this is just how it works and move on. Cinematic, “in-engine”, real-time, etc. We get that it’s not the actual game.

mejin

Yes, It is.

"Please note: the high-res renders below are the source models captured in-engine using our development tools and don't necssarily represent exactly how they'll appear when encountered in-game."

They know no one reads.

clarky

Gold Member
They know no one reads the blog? Give me a fucking break.

It's literally called inside infinite, you know, a blog about the development process, they are super transparent. Maybe your brain can't handle anything more than pictures, most of the people this is aimed at are interested in the development process.

Last edited:
It's common sense that in-engine renders showing the characters at their maximum quality will look much better than what they look like during gameplay. Just like all models will look significantly better during the cutscenes than they will during gameplay. This is common sense and has been a thing in the industry for years and years. Now for a game like Halo, the difference between cutscene and gameplay may tend to be larger. Why? Because Halo, unlike a lot of other games, is putting like 20 or more AI combatants with various AI behaviors, weapons, skillsets on your screen at any given moment. And these AI are must all be able to be accompanied by multiple vehicles, flying ones also, and even AI allies of the player.

There's like 20 or more enemy combatants in this scene alone in addition to the Wasp vehicle. Halo is a very different beast from a lot of other games. And there are so many ways of approaching this situation. When shit can get this crazy is it any surprise why models won't look 1 to 1 with their in-engine source renders? There are AAA games whose entire endgame battles don't get anywhere near this chaotic.

jCyv9jW.png

They know no one reads the blog? Give me a fucking break.

It's literally called inside infinite, you know, a blog about the development process, they are super transparent. Maybe your brain can't handle anything more than pictures, most of the people this is aimed at are interested in the development process.

Yea, exactly. What the fuck? Of course people who actually want the game will be willing to read the blog. Incredible to suggest that somehow this is a thing people who want Halo Infinite would be totally opposed to. Just because there are people who won't read them, doesn't mean there aren't many who will and who look forward to reading them.

I'm really hoping for environments that have hidden areas and things to add to the mystery of Zeta Halo without just being combat. What about some simple puzzles? Or is that too far from being a Halo game?

I'm really hoping for environments that have hidden areas and things to add to the mystery of Zeta Halo without just being combat. What about some simple puzzles? Or is that too far from being a Halo game?

Halo Infinite does sound as if it has puzzles. Someone who worked on Infinite for 2 years posted on LinkedIn that he helped create narrative events, combat encounters and logic puzzles.

And hidden areas are also confirmed via the blogs. Hidden Caves.

What’s different this time is that you have more freedom than ever before to choose your path through the world. Follow a hidden cave system into a well-guarded fortress, wind your Warthog through a fog-filled mountain pass, capture a Banshee and fly to a floating ring fragment across a gap of stars. A strong narrative remains at the heart of the Master Chief’s adventure, and your journey between story missions is entirely up to you.

Do I explore off the golden path? Assault that Banished war base guarding the valley pass? Follow a flight of Forerunner Sentinels into that unexpected cavern? Rescue a squad of marines dug-in and desperate halfway up that mountain? Or do I keep pulling the mainline story thread that feels epic and intimate at the exact same time?

What they're doing with Halo Infinite here I honestly most compare to Batman Arkham Asylum. It wasn't an open world game, but it had many elements of freedom, light puzzle solving, upgrades, collectibles/optional objectives.

The Arkham Asylum formula was about bringing you closer to feeling more like Batman based on the set of tools an gameplay options you were given. Halo Infinite is doing precisely that, but for a spartan.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite does sound as if it has puzzles. Someone who worked on Infinite for 2 years posted on LinkedIn that he helped create narrative events, combat encounters and logic puzzles.

What they're doing with Halo Infinite here I honestly most compare to Batman Arkham Asylum. It wasn't an open world game, but it had many elements of freedom, light puzzle solving, upgrades, collectibles/optional objectives.

The Arkham Asylum formula was about bringing you closer to feeling more like Batman based on the set of tools an gameplay options you were given. Halo Infinite is doing precisely that, but for a spartan.

Sounds great! Hopefully it all comes together for something really special.

I hope there’s a unique armor to piece together that’s incredibly hard to get. Kind of like Aloy’s shield suit, Turok’s final weapon, Samus, and so on.

Last edited:
I hope there’s a unique armor to piece together that’s incredibly hard to get. Kind of like Aloy’s shield suit, Turok’s final weapon, Samus, and so on.

I don't know about all that lol. But apparently the game will expand in a variety of ways going forward. I just don't know if that will be one lol. Then again, I suppose anything is possible with narrative and content expansions. It's crystal clear based on how they built Infinite's campaign, it's designed to expand cleverly in an almost endless fashion. They can keep adding in new sections of Zeta Halo, new strongholds and various activities, more collectibles. It's a perfect direction for Halo that I never knew I wanted till I understood what they had made.

Last edited:
I don't know about all that lol. But apparently the game will expand in a variety of ways going forward. I just don't know if that will be one lol. Then again, I suppose anything is possible with narrative and content expansions. It's crystal clear based on how they built Infinite's campaign, it's designed to expand cleverly in an almost endless fashion. They can keep adding in new sections of Zeta Halo, new strongholds and various activities, more collectibles. It's a perfect direction for Halo that I never knew I wanted till I understood what they had made.
This would be bad ass.

It’s from here:

it was Halo 4 concept art.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pics look a lot better than before. Thought the beta played great too. I'm not a Halo gamer, so any super nitpicky stuff Halo vets will notice I wouldn't.

Will be a solid 1-2 punch with Halo and FH5.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's common sense that in-engine renders showing the characters at their maximum quality will look much better than what they look like during gameplay. Just like all models will look significantly better during the cutscenes than they will during gameplay. This is common sense and has been a thing in the industry for years and years. Now for a game like Halo, the difference between cutscene and gameplay may tend to be larger. Why? Because Halo, unlike a lot of other games, is putting like 20 or more AI combatants with various AI behaviors, weapons, skillsets on your screen at any given moment. And these AI are must all be able to be accompanied by multiple vehicles, flying ones also, and even AI allies of the player.

There's like 20 or more enemy combatants in this scene alone in addition to the Wasp vehicle. Halo is a very different beast from a lot of other games. And there are so many ways of approaching this situation. When shit can get this crazy is it any surprise why models won't look 1 to 1 with their in-engine source renders? There are AAA games whose entire endgame battles don't get anywhere near this chaotic.

jCyv9jW.png

The LOD management of this game must be on another level.
I really hope the Raytracing update adds in RTAO and/or RT shadows.
RTGI or RT diffuse might be asking too much especially considering its an AMD partnered title.....you need a 6900XT to match a RTX3070 in heavy GI or diffuse games.

The density in this section of the trailer had me losing it, knowing I could just jump outta the wasp and get up close and personal with all those enemies.

The LOD management of this game must be on another level.
I really hope the Raytracing update adds in RTAO and/or RT shadows.
RTGI or RT diffuse might be asking too much especially considering its an AMD partnered title.....you need a 6900XT to match a RTX3070 in heavy GI or diffuse games.

The density in this section of the trailer had me losing it, knowing I could just jump outta the wasp and get up close and personal with all those enemies.

What blows me away is the geometry representation and how all the scale works. The LOD management seriously needs to be on a whole other level. One minute all the geometry can seem so small and insignificant when you're up in the air, but then the moment you touch the floor and get closer, suddenly it's so fucking massive and large. I'm confident there's some heavy ass trickery at play there, changing up the LODs in a really fast fashion to fool us into thinking that all of what we see when on foot and up close is really all what's actually there in fully quality from up in the sky.

I mean, sure it's there, but surely not all at max geometry till we get closer on foot. There's the 2020 demo section where Chief is flying a Banshee next to that large ship and over some water, and he comes really close to what looks like a watchtower on the left, and it seemed so insignificant and small till he got right up close to it. The geometry in this game is crazy.

JackMcGunns

Whilst obviously a huge improvement, It's still not blowing me away for next gen modelling, TBH.

I guess my wish for a Halo that looks like the remastered cut scenes in Halo 2, in real time, goes on..Maybe Xbox Series Y.

WTH is this? you realize we’re talking about a random NPC right? Maybe Xbox Series Y? wow…

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

So you are expecting real time game engines and consoles for that matter to do what Vray and workstation level computers do but in realtime at an acceptable frame rate?

Which also means you expect developers to put in the feature length movie quality assets in the game which obviously wont eat up all the RAM because the Series Y will have 10TB/s SSDs and artists will have neuralink tech to let them make all the movie quality assets in a timely manner so that games dont take 10 years to make on assets alone.

Okay ma dude.
jesse-sandifer-groundhog-sgtjohnson-cu.jpg

Top Bottom