• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo blog post addresses graphics

MrFunSocks

Banned
You seem quite confident in your assessment that the concerns that we have are simply subjective opinions on what we like and don't like. I'm suggesting they're actually large, quality-affecting issues that will cut deep into the game's score.

If you're so confident in your stance, how about we make it interesting and see who's in the right? 85 and up, and I walk. 84 and below, you hit the bricks.
But again - why on earth would I make a bet about one of us quitting a forum based on the meta critic score of a game? What kind of fanboy childish thing is that to even suggest? It shows you’re personally invested in wanting the game to fail. I couldn’t give less of a shit about what MC score it gets lol. I was just pointing out the ridiculousness in making such a definitive statement of how the entire game and package will review based on a single gameplay trailer of a tiny section of a game, and basing that opinion almost entirely on graphics. That is absolutely absurd.

You should also have seen that I didn’t give any indication of what Mc score I think it will get, so what exactly would I be betting?

What do you think you saw in this trailer that will cut deep into the score that *isn’t* just a graphics complaint?

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
NXGen gamer assessment is more indicative of what is wrong. DF's piece is a bad joke. But they're obviously more than well aware of everything that's wrong - they built it themselves. They don't need anyone to tell them that. Obviously they can't watch KingThrash's take otherwise they'll come out depressed... so I understand the no mention.

No one wants to say it.... but..... who decided to show this crap in the state it was in? Who was dumb enough to cross-fingers hoping nobody would notice? Who? How many? That's what the mob wants to really know. Pitchforks at the ready.
NX gamer is a joke compares to the real deal DF.

Lone Wolf

lol so you just think they could look better based on ..... nothing other than you thinking you know what they should look like? They’re literally building blocks for the halo. They’re some unknown metal material that goes inside the ring. They’re not supposed to be super intricate highly detailed things. Go take a look at a steel beam that is used in the frame of a house and you’ll see they’re not intricately detailed. This is one of the absolute worst complaints you could make about its graphics.
It’s one of many. It looks like shit. 343 needs to do better.

So it wasn't from months ago like people were trying to damage control and tell me lmao.

Feeling a strong low to mid 80 Metacritic for this game
Since when do you play graphics if the game is great then it’s great graphics or not this is just a nonsense metric. Walking dead won GOY and it was by far a game that was on a mobile phone.

magaman

Banned
But again - why on earth would I make a bet about one of us quitting a forum based on the meta critic score of a game? What kind of fanboy childish thing is that to even suggest? It shows you’re personally invested in wanting the game to fail. I couldn’t give less of a shit about what MC score it gets lol. I was just pointing out the ridiculousness in making such a definitive statement of how the entire game and package will review based on a single gameplay trailer of a tiny section of a game, and basing that opinion almost entirely on graphics. That is absolutely absurd.

What do you think you saw in this trailer that will cut deep into the score that *isn’t* just a graphics complaint?

Sounds like you left your nuts in your wife's purse to me. You're so vehemently defending the game, but you can't commit to a friendly wager? You can hide behind the "absurdity" of an account wager, but don't walk into a thread like Johnny BigBalls if you can't back it up with a vote of confidence in your own words.

You can tell a lot about something from a little. There are deep technical challenges with this title - pop-in and LODs, namely. The AI is lackluster, and the overall design is just garbage. The acting is equally shit. I'd say an 80-82 metacritic average is incoming. You can balk at my prediction, but if you do, put your money where your mouth is sweetie :)

MrFunSocks

Banned
It is not the most shocking visuals but it is all good considering 60fps and 2p split screen on Xbox One.
Jaded core gamers just piled on the 'concerned' train, wishing to create the next meme. 🤷‍♀️
Oh you must have missed the memo - GAF has decided that it’s a next gen XSX game first and foremost and that it’s not going to run at 60fps on the XB1 lol. It’s based on nothing but FUD, but never let that stop a good dog piling.

Sounds like you left your nuts in your wife's purse to me. You're so vehemently defending the game, but you can't commit to a friendly wager? You can hide behind the "absurdity" of an account wager, but don't walk into a thread like Johnny BigBalls if you can't back it up with a vote of confidence in your own words.

You can tell a lot about something from a little. There are deep technical challenges with this title - pop-in and LODs, namely. The AI is lackluster, and the overall design is just garbage. The acting is equally shit. I'd say an 80-82 metacritic average is incoming. You can balk at my prediction, but if you do, put your money where your mouth is sweetie :)
Hahahahahahaha oh dear. “Sweetie”? Wife’s purse? Oh boy, I can smell the immaturity.

Grow up “sweetie”. Trying to make account closing bets based on this is one of the most immature, outright childish things I’ve seen in here. You’re personally invested in hating this game.

Last edited:
Yeah that still looks amazing. Disappointing to watch that now. Whatever they improve, there's no way it looks that good, so wtf was that ever running on and was it really a target render or just way out of bounds.
There’s no way you guys are this obtuse obviously this will be where they end up at some point when the game doesn’t run on Xbox one anymore. This game for whatever reason doesn’t scale like FS2020. I’m sure the next thing after infinite will be closer to that engine demo.

THEAP99

Banned

metacritic really gets people worked up for sure.

Ok so... some parts? About the visual fidelity? The art style is great - the visual fidelity is ass. Is there anyone not in agreement on that? Honestly I haven’t heard a single person defend the actual visual fidelity problems. Art style is a different issue.

With Halo Infinite, we’re returning to a more ‘classic’ art style which was a key message going back to the very first reveal that garnered enthusiastic and positive responses. This translates to a more vibrant palette, “cleaner” models and objects with less “noise”, though it doesn’t mean less detail. While we appreciate this may not be everyone’s personal preference, we stand by this decision and are happy to see it resonating with so many fans around the world.

There's damage control and then there's this; makes that RTUSA's insider about their workplace seem more valid with this type of responses.

nush

Gold Member
That blog post was spinning so hard you can see the donuts it's left in the 343i staff car park.

MiguelItUp

When was the last time a AAA developer of a well renowned franchise released crap like this so far off expectations? I mean I'm sure there are examples but of this magnitude? Not many...
It has been a bit. However my comment still stands. It needed to be addressed, of course. But it didn't need to be at the extent that it was.

DryvBy

Looks like Xbox is going to be getting more of that Phil treatment this gen too.

XB4fGdW.jpg

Pejo

I'm sorry but this PR statement reads like a Facebook response from an indie dev for a game being made by a 10 person team, not a Triple-A studio backed by a billion dollar company. Why didn't they focus test before the demo went out? Why weren't they consulting lighting experts? It's not like the knowledge isn't out there. To even quote that Digital Foundry influenced them (while nice for DF) should be viewed as an absolute embarrassment. This game is supposed to be a console exclusive system seller and promotion of XBOX SeX being the premier videogame console of the next generation for fucks sake.

I only wish that this is the type of response we got from the initial feedback of that awful looking new Battletoads game.

Zannegan

When was the last time a AAA developer of a well renowned franchise released crap like this so far off expectations? I mean I'm sure there are examples but of this magnitude? Not many...
Gotta be.... Wind Waker? Sure the super-deformed, cell-shaded look is considered classic now, but at its unveiling there was a pretty significant backlash at the "bait and switch" from the demo.

It almost makes me wonder if 343i didn't go far enough down the road of "simplifying" things in their return to the classic art style. Simple objects plus high quality lighting can make for a really compelling image, a la WWHD or Octopath Traveler.

On second thought, probably not. More likely it would have been Wind Waker all over again. Still, I can't help but feel that their middle of the road approach here satisfies no one.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
This game is supposed to be a console exclusive system seller and promotion of XBOX SeX being the premier videogame console of the next generation for fucks sake.
No it's not. It's a game releasing on a console that's now in its 7th year, that also works via backwards compatibility on the new console. It's not supposed to be a promotion of the XSX other than the fact that an XB1 game works on the XSX and can have some improvements like higher resolution.

supernova8

Banned
I think you’ll find most of the people in here complaining vehemently wont even own a console that Infinite will play on, nor will they ever.

I'm complaining vehemently because I want Halo to be something I'm excited to play. In it's current form, I'm not. Mind-blowing graphics making use of the 'most consistently powerful console' would go some way to achieve that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm complaining vehemently because I want Halo to be something I'm excited to play. In it's current form, I'm not. Mind-blowing graphics making use of the 'most consistently powerful console' would go some way to achieve that.
It's not made for the "most consistently powerful console" so that's not really a good expectation to have. It's a 60fps open world Xbox One game running in backwards compatibility on the XSX. The RayTracing update that has been promised is basically the "One X Patch" for the XSX.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a Halo fan, but to pique my interest if the graphics were more like Reach (which seemed grittier than usual) I'd give it a try.

Pejo

No it's not. It's a game releasing on a console that's now in its 7th year, that also works via backwards compatibility on the new console. It's not supposed to be a promotion of the XSX other than the fact that an XB1 game works on the XSX and can have some improvements like higher resolution.
I mean while it's technically true that they're releasing it on XB1, there's no way they would develop it for the lesser powerful console first and then port it up. Plus, if there was ever an opportunity for MS to upsell you on the SeX, it would be with a game that looks twice as good on the brand new box with all the bells and whistles. It's not like MS is saying "this is an XB1 game and I guess we'll throw a bone to the SeX early adopters".

supernova8

Banned
It's not made for the "most consistently powerful console" so that's not really a good expectation to have. It's a 60fps open world Xbox One game running in backwards compatibility on the XSX. The RayTracing update that has been promised is basically the "One X Patch" for the XSX.

In the reveal, Chris Lee from 343 explicitly stated:

"Halo Infinite has been built from the ground up to take full advantage of Xbox Series X"

So either you're lying or he's lying. I'd say he's lying.

MrFunSocks

Banned
In the reveal, Chris Lee from 343 explicitly stated:

"Halo Infinite has been built from the ground up to take full advantage of Xbox Series X"

So either you're lying or he's lying. I'd say he's lying.

He's lying. It's been in development as an XB1 game for 5 years. We've got people bagging out some MS PR mouthpieces in these halo threads for just spewing lies dressed up as PR, but for some reason this is the one thing that everyone is sticking to as being 100% factual and true, despite it being literally the easiest thing to tell is false.

I mean while it's technically true that they're releasing it on XB1, there's no way they would develop it for the lesser powerful console first and then port it up. Plus, if there was ever an opportunity for MS to upsell you on the SeX, it would be with a game that looks twice as good on the brand new box with all the bells and whistles. It's not like MS is saying "this is an XB1 game and I guess we'll throw a bone to the SeX early adopters".
That's exactly what they're doing though - the XSX wasn't a thing 5 years ago, it was going to be a XB1 exclusive. Gears of War 5 is getting a XSX update too, doesn't make it an XSX game.

Halo Infinite is an XB1 game. The Series X plays all xbox one games, and can run them at higher resolutions and framerates than the XB1 can pretty much by default without the developers doing anything. That's what we saw the other day - an XB1 game running on the Series X dev box.

Why do people not seem to understand this? It's an XB1 game. All XB1 games run on the XSX. The games showcase event WAS NOT AN XBOX SERIES X SHOWCASE EVENT, it was an Xbox GAMES showcase event. That includes XB1.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
He's lying. It's been in development as an XB1 game for 5 years. We've got people bagging out some MS PR mouthpieces in these halo threads for just spewing lies dressed up as PR, but for some reason this is the one thing that everyone is sticking to as being 100% factual and true, despite it being literally the easiest thing to tell is false.

Well because there's a massive difference between Halo fanboys on NeoGAF talking shit, and the official representative for Halo talking shit. That's the 'some reason' you're looking for.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well because there's a massive difference between Halo fanboys on NeoGAF talking shit, and the official representative for Halo talking shit. That's the 'some reason' you're looking for.
But if you take 2 seconds to look at the facts you know it's just PR. XSX isn't out yet. Halo Infinite was being worked on 5 years ago - almost the start of this generation. They were not making a next generation game 5 years ago lol.

supernova8

Banned
But if you take 2 seconds to look at the facts you know it's just PR. XSX isn't out yet. Halo Infinite was being worked on 5 years ago - almost the start of this generation. They were not making a next generation game 5 years ago lol.

There's PR and then there's lying. I accept that a lot of PR will often blur the lines between truth and lies, but this is so blatantly a lie and yet they peddle it. It shows what they think of their target consumers.
"You're all gullible idiots and you'll fucking buy it and like it" - well I insincerely hope it backfires on them.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
There's PR and then there's lying. I accept that a lot of PR will often blur the lines between truth and lies, but this is so blatantly a lie and yet they peddle it. It shows what they think of their target consumers.
"You're all gullible idiots and you'll fucking buy it and like it" - well I insincerely hope it backfires on them.
There can still be some truth to it though, like building it with dynamic resolution and multiple framerate targets could be argued as "made to take advantage of the Series X" in the sense that it has been made to scale those things for better hardware. People are just making far too big of a deal about it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
They sound honest. I expect the game to shine a year from release after many patches and improvements. I might be playing something else by then though. :/

Zoro7

Banned
This was the best footage they had. That’s still the most worrying part. I still don’t believe they can polish this enough before launch.

-Arcadia-

Banned
While we see and hear far more positive than negative

Mm-hmm.

This is great otherwise, though. I feel like they have a solider base than most people are giving them credit for, and polishing that up in these four months, might not be an impossibility.

I wouldn’t expect miracles, though.

The single biggest upgrade to the game, given the flat lighting, will probably be ray-tracing, if they can do it without massively collapsing resolution or framerate.

Aladin

Lot of positive constructive criticism on halowaypoint forum. Nice to see devs in good spirit. This acknowledgement is what we had wanted.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think it could end up looking like a good looking X1X game maybe. They just don't have time to do much more.

Yep. That’s where I think it would top out as well. Good looking X1X game, with SX lending really good image quality, effects, texture resolution, etc., as much as it can.

If it can get there, I’m happy. Nowhere near original expectations, of course, but that bus is long gone.

Xplainin

Banned
So basically what I wrote in the thread I started about 343 going back to capture Halo 1-3.
The thread that got locked for no apparent reason.

Kagey K

Banned
All this shit talking about Craig and all I care about is, Does it feel like Halo and is it fun like Halo?

I need the Guns, grenades, melee loop and I’m fine.

I don’t really give a fuck about all the other nonsense.

Last edited:
The build was from several weeks ago only and the best gameplay they could show (!). Now they have 3 months to fix fundamental problems with the graphics as well as finish off the actual game.

Eliciel

Pretty odd that so many people liked the gameplay. To me, Not being a hardcore Halo Fan, the gameplay looked very boring...

2-3 Enemies Run out of a Hangar shoot, Masterchief Shoots, dead. No physics, explosions nothing. The highest Emotion, in
regards to to interactive gameplay, has been the hook and Masterchief using it looked like a pig being transported to the slaughterhouse. Being a super static and boring looking way of moving..

To me there is much more than "Just" graphics and to be honest, this game should rather be delayed, in Order to ne polished.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Dunno how the artstyle vs graphics will turn out, IMO artstyle is more important when it comes to the overall reception. Just look at Halo 5 on 1X:

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

Everything is toned down, not oversaturated like it's yet another Fortnite, the PBR is there, so nothing looks like plastic, and so on, it just looks great, this is what you expect a modern game to look like, while sticking to Halo 1-3 artstyle from 10-20 years ago makes the game look exactly like that, an upscaled Halo 1-3.

Top Bottom