• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo blog post addresses graphics

LordOfChaos

QUESTIONS ABOUT GRAPHICS AND VISUALS
First, we want to acknowledge that yes, we’ve heard the feedback coming from parts of the community regarding the visuals in the Halo Infinite campaign demo. While we see and hear far more positive than negative, we do want to share a bit more context. From our perspective, there are two key areas being debated around the community – overall art style and visual fidelity.

Based on our learnings from Halo 4, Halo 5, and Halo Wars 2 – along with strong community feedback – we decided to shift back towards the legacy aesthetics that defined the original trilogy. With Halo Infinite, we’re returning to a more ‘classic’ art style which was a key message going back to the very first reveal that garnered enthusiastic and positive responses. This translates to a more vibrant palette, “cleaner” models and objects with less “noise”, though it doesn’t mean less detail. While we appreciate this may not be everyone’s personal preference, we stand by this decision and are happy to see it resonating with so many fans around the world.

The second theme being discussed involves visual fidelity. Negative feedback in this area includes comments around characters and objects appearing flat, simplistic and plastic-like, lighting feeling dull and flat, and object pop-in. We’ve read your comments, we’ve seen the homemade examples of retouched content, and yes we’ve heard the Digital Foundry assessments. In many ways we are in agreement here – we do have work to do to address some of these areas and raise the level of fidelity and overall presentation for the final game. The build used to run the campaign demo was work-in-progress from several weeks ago with a variety of graphical elements and game systems still being finished and polished. While some of the feedback was expected and speaks to areas already in progress, other aspects of the feedback have brought new opportunities and considerations to light that the team is taking very seriously and working to assess. We don’t have firm answers or outcomes to share yet but the team is working as quickly as possible on plans to address some of the feedback around detail, clarity, and overall fidelity. The team is committed and focused on making sure we have a beautiful world for players to explore when we launch.

More questions at the link. I don't remember the last time a dev addressed criticism of a demos graphics like this really. And the influence of Digital Foundry is beyond doubt.

But most important

HOW’S CRAIG?
We’ve all laughed very hard at the nonstop stream of Craig memes the community is cranking out. Craig is thick-skinned and seems to be taking it in stride though all of this fame and attention seems to be going to his head.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The classic feel is definitely there from an art style but that isn't an excuse to rob the assets of any kind of modern appeal. You can do both.

That being said, good to see they seem to be genuinely listening. Hopefully it amounts to a better game.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Don't underestimate what can be accomplished in just a few weeks. Maybe Bob from the graphics department literally left his work at home and got locked out of his house. You're telling me you've never been locked out of your house? Absurd.
Well yeah i think the game will look decently better at least at launch, but nothing dramatically next gen.

But it was funny to see people run with fud saying "it's months old, don't worry!"

NXGen gamer assessment is more indicative of what is wrong. DF's piece is a bad joke. But they're obviously more than well aware of everything that's wrong - they built it themselves. They don't need anyone to tell them that. Obviously they can't watch KingThrash's take otherwise they'll come out depressed... so I understand the no mention.

No one wants to say it.... but..... who decided to show this crap in the state it was in? Who was dumb enough to cross-fingers hoping nobody would notice? Who? How many? That's what the mob wants to really know. Pitchforks at the ready.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Hey, if they sort it out .... thats good news for Halo fans prepared to give 343 another chance.

For me, it really sounds like a "please believe us, we will make it better" type of plea.

I simply have no faith in 343 to deliver, the franchise has taken a massive fall in popularity and that has been reflective of its quality ......... something that falls squarely at the feet of 343 and MS for allowing it to happen.

That trailer had such a negative impact I can't believe it was signed off by Phil to be shown.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Over the past few days, I've learned from GAF that the demo was from six months ago.
That the demo was from four months ago.
That the demo was from a several weeks ago (wait, like four months' worth?).
Tomorrow, the demo will be from a couple weeks ago.
The day after, the demo is from a few days ago.
The demo is from yesterday.
We literally made the demo the same day.
We were programming the demo in realtime, as you watched, because we had nothing prepared.
There was no demo. Not yet. That came after.

Regardless of what anyone says, you have to respect the fact that they not only addressed it, but the way they addressed it. Honestly, I don't think I can remember the last time I saw a AAA affiliated developer respond with such transparency.

When was the last time a AAA developer of a well renown franchise released crap like this so far off expectations? I mean I'm sure there are examples but of this magnitude? Not many...

Over the past few days, I've learned from GAF that the demo was from six months ago.
We were programming the demo in realtime, as you watched, because we had nothing prepared.

Last edited:

RPS37

L M A O.
I don’t understand 343. Why are they acting like they have to tighten up the graphics on level 3 when the game supposed to release in like 3 months?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’d have some confidence in them if the game wasn’t coming out in a few months. It looked really rough for something about to release.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Feeling a strong low to mid 80 Metacritic for this game
Based on some underwhelming graphics? The gameplay looked as good as ever, and ultimately that's what counts. Halo was never about graphics, it was about the gameplay.

Good that they're addressing it. All they need is some higher resolution textures, a bit more work on shadows (like making them darker) and adding SSAO etc, and HDR and it'll be fine.

This isn't something you should have to address with the launch of a next generation console. Graphics should be the main attraction.
This is not a next generation console game.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

That's the worst part. They've got this next gen 12TF machine and most people don't see any difference from what 2013 Xbox could do.
Completely kills any urge to buy new hardware from them or keep someone from buying a PS5 which is what Infinite needed to do.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Completely kills any urge to buy new hardware from them or keep someone from buying a PS5 which is what Infinite needed to do.
That's not at all what infinite was meant to do, since it's a XB1 game launching on the XB1 lol.

Nah. I thought the gameplay looked pretty average for what Halo is competing against these days.

It looked like classic halo gameplay with a bigger scope and a few new things added in. Halo is Halo, if they change it they get shit on (see halo 4 and 5) and if they keep it classic they get shit on (see halo infinite). There's no winning for 343.

Last edited:
Is it months old like from January or is it weeks old man you can't even get your shit correct within the same institution and how do you expect fans to believe your plea when in fact you just blamed obvious technical problems and old gen graphics mostly to artistic choices AND that you are behind those artistic choices.....

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Nah. I thought the gameplay looked pretty average for what Halo is competing against these days.
Gameplay combat footage too short to really make much judgement. Like 3 or so encounters with the same 3 or 4 enemy types and no real vehicle combat or MP. Graphics fidelity is the bigger issue IMO than gameplay or art style.

Vawn

Banned
While we see and hear far more positive than negative

64c1f16419a2a8846d458a0fc27d6c18.png

VAVA Mk2

Basically this. They've said everything that needed saying - they hear us, and are working to address feedback. What more could we ask for?
"All issues will be fixed and Halo Infinite will look next gen fully utilizing whichever platform runs it."

Redlight

The Halo Infinite demo certainly didn't scream 'next-gen' but the claim that it's some kind of irredeemable mess is hyperbole. I'm not a huge Halo fan, so the finer details may have been lost on me at the reveal, but I thought it looked fine until I came to GAF.

I'm tipping that if the gameplay and MP are solid then it'll do massive numbers. Even if it's released looking exactly like it did in the demo.

Mister Wolf

Basically this. They've said everything that needed saying - they hear us, and are working to address feedback. What more could we ask for?

Them mentioning lighting gives me hope they wont waste raytracing on shadows or reflections like some other games do.

VAVA Mk2

The Halo Infinite demo certainly didn't scream 'next-gen' but the claim that it's some kind of irredeemable mess is hyperbole. I'm not a huge Halo fan, so the finer details may have been lost on me at the reveal, but I thought it looked fine until I came to GAF.

I'm tipping that if the gameplay and MP are solid then it'll do massive numbers. Even if it's released looking exactly like it did in the demo.
It will eventually get better after launch no doubt, but Microsoft is looking to have a weak launch vs Sony as so far their biggest gun doesn't really look like something you would need or want to buy new hardware for. Back in the hole already for next gen before it even starts.

Well a demo that would have not needed this to begin with in the first place and that game itself being just months away from release looking like that while gameplay is just okay, not the great/amazing thing they have promised.

Top Bottom