• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA VI rumors: Both Vice City & Rio de Janeiro, Set in 1970s-1980s and more

TIGERCOOL

Some precision from the same leaker:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

About the music:
unknown.png

More here
Original thread is now deleted from all archives, think what you want about this.
I hope when he says large number of buildings with explorable interiors he means large. gta v was a massive dissappointment there. no mention of series s in any of this.. genuinely hope its an afterthought so they dont have to deal with more dev bottlenecks for real next gen consoles

Last edited:

dyergram

Like most gta leaks reads like fan fiction bullshit. I don’t believe any gta game will or should be set outside america based on statements r* has made in the past and if anything did get leaked it wouldn’t be a laundry list like this imo.

dyergram

And another thing if people who worked at kotaku or pcworld were in a position to confirm info like this they would publish it in a second.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
And another thing if people who worked at kotaku or pcworld were in a position to confirm info like this they would publish it in a second.
Kotaku would in a heartbeat, see their Assassin's Creed coverage.

Kotaku UK would complain that the main character shoots people with guns and as one of the NPCs is a minority then Rockstar are racists for allowing it. Thankfully they are as fucking dead as a doornail.

Woggleman

Now would be the best time for Rockstar to release another game since they are currently the golden boy that CDPR failed to live up to in a lot of gamers minds.

Md Ray

This was on 4chan.
With how many times we've seen this exact same kind of map, I hope it is legit.

j5MQzSB.jpg
I'm seeing this for the first time.

That said, I remember when the RDR2 map leaked online years before the official announcement release. I thought it was fake, but it turned out to be legit.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm seeing this for the first time.

That said, I remember when the RDR2 map leaked online years before the official announcement. I thought it was fake, but it turned out to be legit.
Not this exact same map, but:
600_capture_decran_2020-10-20_a_11.38.32.jpg

jtlDvyZ.jpeg

You can see the one I posted is a direct continuation of this one ☝️

Last edited:
I seriously hope this is true, Vice City was always my favorite GTA. Taking the series back to the past would be really exciting for me. I love the vibe the GTA games always have and late 70s early 80s is my jam as far as movies, music, and just general tone. Also after IV and V I could use a break from a modern day GTA despite them being great in their own right.

GeorgPrime

Banned
unknown.png
1561901119-1063509-gta-6-artwork-5979a8b0ac9c5-1024x576-full-1.jpg

Updated 02/05/2021

So here is a new bunch of rumors for GTA VI:
  • The next GTA title has been in development since 2012 (1 year before GTA 5 launched). Production didn't actually pick up properly until mid 2015. Even then it was on ice while the teams focused on RDR2.
  • Chapter system similar RDR2, first 2 chapters are set in the late 1970s
  • Ray tracing for reflection and shadow (not for lighting)
  • PS5 & XBOX are the priority, PC version at a later date
  • You can NOT enter every building
  • It's another Rockstar Worldwide Production, not just one or two studios, but all.
  • Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
  • Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro, with some linear missions taking place in Liberty City (not open world), think Ludendorff in GTAV. Also been recently hearing about Cuba but I ain’t sure?
  • Game will balance realism and arcade. WON'T be as realistic as RDR2.
  • One playable protagonist this time. Male, not female, despite supposed leaks.
  • Set in 1970s-1980s.
  • The name of the protagonist is a spoiler in itself which can potentially spoil the narrative and the leaker also said beware of future leakers who might spoil the name of the protagonist.
  • You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named "Ricardo". Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities. There will also be a GIANT prison which will play a part in the game.
  • Will feature a “CHAPTER” system similar to a Tarantino flick or RDR2.
  • Weather is a heavy focus. Hurricanes, floods, etc.
  • One thing to note is that when someone asked to leak something very specific which can be used to see the credibility of the leak in the future, the leaker says, "You meet Ken Rosenberg and he mentions Tommy Vercetti several times although you never actually meet Tommy."
  • Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. This causes headaches apparently but they managed to nail a pipeline and get it working. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy. Next level.
  • HEAVILY inspired by Netflix's Narcos.
  • The leaker claims that it is the best story ever put in a GTA game but not quite emotional as RDR2
  • They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack, but jury is still out on that one.
  • A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
  • Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. MUCH bigger. Think the GTAOnline system and dial it up to 10. There you have it.
  • The mission structure is supposed to be quite free.
  • You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket. Think RDR2 and Max Payne 3.
  • Your personal vehicle (similar to GTA5 but can now change it) will be like your horse saddle in RDR2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. Similar to LA Noire. You also store your body armour in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing lol.
  • The example of the improved AI design according to the leaker was "You may see NPCs beeping their horn and driving aggressively around other drivers because they're late for work."
  • There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts. Because the characters speak the language they're native to. Very immersive. Like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you're in South America, don't expect to hear much English. Vice City however is a mix of everything. Mostly English though.
  • Last bit of narrative info, it will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc.
  • Minigames include Surfing, Windsurfing and Roller Derby
  • Next Gen only. Not PS4/XB1.
  • Game is now their primary focus, alongside another title (which I believe to be Bully 2).
  • Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
  • Late 2023

The interisting thing is this: The leaker claims that Dan Houser left because he exhausted himself after RDR2 crunch, could return in the future.

Source (Reddit):

And more here: Reddit

Thats a GTA straight developed for me XD

SpokkX

I doubt they dont put it in modern times

cell phones etc makes so much sense in gta - they are used extensivly in gta online.. so nah dont believe this

Three

I doubt they dont put it in modern times

cell phones etc makes so much sense in gta - they are used extensivly in gta online.. so nah dont believe this
They had big cellphones back then. The Scareface game had it too and you called for things like a car drop off.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Please release on PC day 1. I don't want to play a console version but will play on PS5 if it is a console exclusive. It's been so long since a new GTA.

Leopold

Rio de Janeiro was a broken mess at the time, the country was falling apart and it was crime and drug-ridden. If they make it during the 80s it would be even better with the apex of Brazilian post-punk and synth-pop.

And I say that even if I absolutely hate the city.

Also please, Brazil speaks Portuguese, not Spanish. Get your facts straight.

SSfox

I'm surprise tho there will be one playable character, with SSD it will make it cooler... i guess , even tho gotta admit i hated in GTAV where when i come back to my other character he never exactly how i left.

I'm not sure how I feel about the GTA series anymore. Rockstar are obviously focusing more on online/shark cards, as that's where they are making most of their money. It was dissapointing that GTA V got no single player DLC. I mostly see the series as an online game now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Didn't the RDR2 map leak WAY before the game came out and most people ignored it because it seemed fake?

I seem to remember something but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom