• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Final Fantasy XI (Treasures of Aht Urhgan) pics

Does it say anything about the new job shown in some of the shots? Looks like the Taru and the Galka using some kind of magic are definitely new. Though the Taru could just be wearing some new equip the expansion brings as he's just using the black magic animation. Well then again the Galka could also be doing some skill already in the game that I just can't tell.. I'm no expert when it comes to melees. :p

itschris

DarthWufei said:
Does it say anything about the new job shown in some of the shots? Looks like the Taru and the Galka using some kind of magic are definitely new. Though the Taru could just be wearing some new equip the expansion brings as he's just using the black magic animation. Well then again the Galka could also be doing some skill already in the game that I just can't tell.. I'm no expert when it comes to melees. :p

Not sure on the Galka (I'm no melee expert either :p), but the taru is wearing RDM equipment (JSE), it's been in the game for a while.

itschris said:
Not sure on the Galka (I'm no melee expert either :p), but the taru is wearing RDM equipment (JSE), it's been in the game for a while.
Oh wow I had no clue, I've actually have never seen anyone in it. Any clue what the name of the set is?

EDIT: Actually I don't want to know. :lol I don't care what the stats are, but leaving behind that much red clothing is a disgrace.

http://www.shadow-dragons.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=34203

itschris

DarthWufei said:
Oh wow I had no clue, I've actually have never seen anyone in it. Any clue what the name of the set is?

It's called the Wise set.

Chasuble.jpg

Wise-Braconi.jpg

Wise-Cap.jpg

Wise-Gloves.jpg

Wise-Pigaches.jpg

Belfast

Wow. New expansion? How come I never saw this mentioned before? Hopefully it turns out better than CoP did....

Deku

Banned
SE's idea.
It's a fair trade off. RDM get nice - enmity bonus, but most will still prefer their AF over this.

Deku

Banned
Belfast said:
Blue mage looks hot! Seems like thief + black mage. SWEET!

That's not a blue mage if you're referring to this screens.

aht12.jpg

It's a Red Mage in their bluish 70 Job specific gear.

Deku said:
SE's idea.
It's a fair trade off. RDM get nice - enmity bonus, but most will still prefer their AF over this.
Actually I personally think the magic accuracy is the only reason to touch this. It may be useful for the gods and such who, as I hear, resist like crazy. However in turn magic accuracy does nothing for the actual potency of enfeebling magic. It's one thing to land it, it's another to actually have it kick in, it also doesn't help with the overall length a spell lasts. It's most beneficial to nukes, and instant gratification enfeebles (slow, gravity, dia/bio, silence).

The pieces without those, in my eyes are pretty much worthless considering what the game offers for RDM in terms of AF, AF2, and your overall end game mage equip. Not to mention it looks absolutely terrible. :p Ah well it actually helps me out a bit, won't have to worry about this too much and I continue working on Sha'ir..

Deku

Banned
This is the RDM white mage wannabe gear. They even have the healer's cap cloned to a T.

If I've learned anything from FFXI, no one piece of gear is ever universal at higher levels. When I was low level 2 years ago, I wore one set of armor, now, I have 5 sets including my full RDM AF2 :D . I swap thme in as needed. This has its uses. But you're right, the full set is nice to have but not essentiall.

Edit: Got this CD preordered to!!! Onion power!

img_02.gif

Hah, you're right that is the WHM cap. -_- *sigh* Chapeau for that? (No thanks.)

Anyways sorry to derail this thread with silly current game talk. :p I'm pretty eager to hear about the jobs in general. I'm running out of mage jobs to level (currently going through SMN now) and I'd really like to try something else. BLU was actually something I dreamed of from the start, so I really can't wait to see it finally unlocked for me. :lol

Deku

Banned
My only worry is how blue mage is going to screw up other jobs.

Its supposed be a new type RDM from the sound of it. Thye are melee types and caster types, but with attacks learned from other monsters.

How that is managed is still a mystery. But i bet there will be one optimal spell/attack list that everyone will use 2 months after the job is released.

Also adding 1 new advanced job means the sever suddenly has a glut of blue mages looking for party, and or soloing those new solo zones. It's going to be a real pain.

img_02.gif

oh SE loves the TaruTarus.

Shouta

I'm hoping the expansion adds more jobs than just Blue Mage. The game is still kind of lacking in a few areas in terms of jobs, specifically tanks and support jobs. I'm assuming Blue Mage will be support alongside Red Mage and Bard which means another tank job would be great since PLD and NIN are the only widely viable ones (WAR is only viable in specific setups and very good player chemistry). I'd wish they'd add a new and interesting melee class but we have enough as is right now. And with them adjusting classes still (like the new adjustment to Dragoon), there's still a lot they can do with the current ones.

It's not like the Wise set is bad, it's actually decent in specific slots that RDMs can't get something like Enfeeble skill or Elemental skill depending on their purpose in the fight.

The galka in the pic that Deku posted is a WAR btw. He's using Aggressor and that's the effect for it.

Actually 1up has an interview with Hiromichi Tanaka from a few days where he states there will be other new jobs aside from BLU, actually he even hints that there may be new avatars brought about before the new expansion. The whole interview is pretty nice actually.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145765

Alphonse said:
It's not like the Wise set is bad, it's actually decent in specific slots that RDMs can't get something like Enfeeble skill or Elemental skill depending on their purpose in the fight.
Well, I wasn't actually saying it was entirely bad myself, but the entire set is overall not worth it. As I mentioned earlier it has its uses, and RDMs are entirely built around equip macros, so swapping in and our pieces is a great idea. However there's really nothing pressuring anyone to get ahold of the set, which I assume is one main reason I see very few people wearing any part of it. The legs actually might be the best piece of the set, when you consider other equipment.

The galka in the pic that Deku posted is a WAR btw. He's using Aggressor and that's the effect for it.
Ah figures, thanks. :p

Deku

Banned
As a red/ white mage. I can say this.

They dont need new support jobs, they need to fix the old ones, especially end game white mages. They're very useful, but too much of their abilities are either shared or can be obtained as a subjob which simplifies the white mages into nothing but a giant cure battery and a raise machine. In FFI, white mages were the ultimate undead killers, and so far, even with Banish III, there's not enough use for them in exp parties at high levels.

Shouta

I don't think WHM needs much of anything new except maybe making the Banish series stronger in general. White mages are meant to be cure batteries and giving them new material would upset the balance of everything. I think the only thing they could really do is allow WHM only buffs to be casted across alliances (Regen III and Erase). Besides, WHM has been getting alot of new stuff in the updates that is just great. Hell, WHM is a better personal melee than any other mage job now and, in some cases, better than the majority of PLDs. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Deku said:
As a red/ white mage. I can say this.

They dont need new support jobs,

:lol :lol :lol

They need at least 2 more support jobs with the ability to refresh or SOMETHING to contrivbute. PTs depend on two jobs past a certain point. RDM and BRD. This is a broken. Sure, you can do without, but it's rather pointless and more people can't make due.

Deku

Banned
Kintaro said:
:lol :lol :lol

They need at least 2 more support jobs with the ability to refresh or SOMETHING to contrivbute. PTs depend on two jobs past a certain point. RDM and BRD. This is a broken. Sure, you can do without, but it's rather pointless and more people can't make due.

You dont fix a problem by creating new ones. I think SE is moving away from job specializaiton anyways since there's only so many specialized jobs you can have. The new advanced jobs are probably going to be mixtures of different jobs.

hite mages are meant to be cure batteries and giving them new material would upset the balance of everything. I think the only thing they could really do is allow WHM only buffs to be casted across alliances (Regen III and Erase).

Stackable regens would be nice. That's not a new spell, just a better (exclusive) uses of what White mages have. And Banishaga III and Banish IV would be nice too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Deku said:
You dont fix a problem by creating new ones. I think SE is moving away from job specializaiton anyways since there's only so many specialized jobs you can have. The new advanced jobs are probably going to be mixtures of different jobs.

They won't fix existing problems either. So, we're back to square one. I doubt BLU will have any real way to Refresh a pt's MP, so it's up to some other jobs. This problem wouldn't be so bad if they would increase the rate of HP and MP regen while /healing. And no, more items to carry around doesn't fix the problem either. =/

Ravidrath

Ha, wow - never seen any FFXI talk on here. :D

ToAU's look really good, I think - can't wait for all the new jobs, solo content, monsters, etc. The story should be interesting, too, and it looks like they're finally going to start telling us about Odin and Alexander, if the Fellowship storyline is any indication.

As for the CoP comment, I half-agree. CoP missions are definitely less convenient than they could've been, but I like the general "play together" intent behind the capped missions even if many of them are too hard for the average player of that level. That said, I think this was partly designed to keep gilsellers out of the CoP endgame areas, and people would complain about that much more loudly if they went back on it.

Also, there is a distinct difference between the people who like and dislike CoP - the people that have been active in it and have beaten it already (like myself) really like it, and the people that can't be bothered don't. In general, though, I think the people that can't beat it are usually to blame, because you can get pretty far in if you just prepare yourself well with Anima, medicines, etc.

ToAU seems like it'll offer a more forgiving mission flow, however, with more new areas open from the start and lots of mini-campaigns instead of one long one. Say, for example, there are 5 5-mission arcs each around a different artifact, instead of one giant 25-mission campaign. The Fellowship quests revolve around two Aht Urghanian mirrors, and sort of seem like a prelude to this, as well.

Also...you're not the Deku from Kujata are you?

Azrael

The difficulty of CoP missions is highly exaggerated. I never found the missions themselves hard to win. The real trouble I had doing them was finding a static that didn't disintegrate halfway to Sea because of infighting or lazy members who stopped showing up. And if your static doesn't make it to Sea, you have almost nothing to show for it, since you'll likely have to start over at Chapter 2 in a new group.

SE can avoid that problem next time if they do something as simple as requiring completion of ToAU missions to unlock the new jobs. That would get the gamers who don't care about quests/missions/storyline (the majority of the NA players, sadly) motivated to do them and make finding other players easier.

I haven't played FFXI since August, but the new expansion is looking really good.

Top Bottom