• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy VII Remake Screenshots Show Red XIII, Side Quests menu, and More

bigol

In old FFs the Lost Friends sidequest wouldn't have a database entry, it would have been just few words that the kid said and you could find the lost friend by yourself just through non main quest exploration and also receving an unexpected reward.

I can already see on screenshots that sidequests in VIIR will have the usual arrow or colored area on map pointing to the exact spot you have to follow thus devoiding the game of the cool feeling of finding side content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In old FFs the Lost Friends sidequest wouldn't have a database entry, it would have been just few words that the kid said and you could find the lost friend by yourself just through non main quest exploration and also receving an unexpected reward.

I can already see on screenshots that sidequests in VIIR will have the usual arrow or colored area on map pointing to the exact spot you have to follow thus devoiding the game of the cool feeling of finding side content.
Maybe there's an option in the settings to turn that off though?

Personally I prefer it this way, I don't have the same amount of time I did to scour every corner of the planet like I did when I was a teenager playing this.

mortal

Gold Member

Yea that occurred to me as well. Hopefully it won't be just a list of chores to arbitrarily pad out the game length.

I don't have the same amount of time I did to scour every corner of the planet like I did when I was a teenager playing this.
Sure, that fair. Although I'd argue that type of design affects the experience of exploration itself, and more negatively imo.

bigol

Maybe there's an option in the settings to turn that off though?

Personally I prefer it this way, I don't have the same amount of time I did to scour every corner of the planet like I did when I was a teenager playing this.

Well, side content is optional and those were cool little things that added to the experience, gave you a neat reward for going off the main path.

Going by these screenshots it won't be as much a problem in Part 1, but it will be a big problem when the sidequest "Let's fight Emerald Weapon" will appear after you talk to someone magically knowing the exact location of the monster.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I only played the demo of FFVII so I'm pretty excited for this. Of course I've had most of it spoiled since it's such an old game.

Arkage

Banned
New Final Fantasy VII Remake screenshots :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Hype over 9999 x 15 = Omnislash!

Red XIII

RNonaln.jpg

He has red fur, sharp claws and a flaming tail—but Red XIII is no mindless beast. In fact, he’s as intelligent and well-spoken as any human.

In Final Fantasy VII Remake he’s in… well, let’s just call it a tough spot. He has been captured and used as a test subject by Shinra scientist Hojo.

zmUp6mf.jpg

G6bVa2U.jpg

Professor Hojo (voiced by Shigeru Chiba in Japanese)

VKfJivh.jpg

The Director of Shinra’s Research and Development Division is not a man bound by common ethics or morality. If his experiments require him to take a life, he will do so without hesitation.
His scientific acumen is undeniably impressive—in a previous collaborative role, he performed special surgery on soldiers to increase their physical strength. In doing so, he helped birth Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit.

DJ9zxHI.jpg

Battle Introduction: Tifa

Tifa Lockhart—she is a brave member of the anti-Shinra group Avalanche, a loyal friend and the owner of the best bar in the Sector 7 slums (just ask Wedge).
She is also a powerful warrior who takes down opponents with fast strikes with just her fists and feet. In battle, Tifa is a swift fighter—repeated presses of the Square button will let her perform quick combos.
She also has a powerful unique ability—press the Triangle button after a combo, and she will release some powerful moves.

—Whirling Uppercut: A powerful upwards strike that will send a foe soaring.

2hoaWlS.jpg

—Omnistrike: Tifa slams into the enemy with a brutal shoulder barge.

haqxhZb.jpg

—Rise and Fall: After waves of kicks, Tifa finishes with a powerful blow from her fist

XIZcjv1.jpg

Klm9UOD.jpg

Tifa’s Battle Abilities

In Final Fantasy VII Remake, attacking enemies will fill your ATB bar. When it is full, you can use it to launch a special ability.
We’ve previously seen some of Aerith’s moves, but what does Tifa bring to the party?

—True Strike: Hits an enemy directly in front of her.

eb7e7ZP.jpg

—Dive Kick: A high-power mid-air kick.

n5T5nP8.jpg

■ Materia and Weapons

Healing Materia

Healing Materia lets you use healing spells like Cure and Cura. In the shot above, Aerith’s using Regen – a spell that gradually heals a target for a set time.

gIzL8ad.jpg

Deadly Dodge Materia

Deadly Dodge Materia lets you turn any attack after evading into a powerful melee strike. We can see Cloud using it above – although any character can equip it too.

z5JGfUL.jpg

Nail Bat

Nail Bat! One of the most fondly-remembered weapons from the original game is reimagined in glorious style. As the screenshot shows, when you equip a new weapon, your character’s appearance will change in and out of battle.

C5Ubt8C.jpg

■ Mercenary Quests

Citizens and merchants across Midgar will ask Cloud for help. As a jack of all trades, Cloud will help them with these quests, which could be anything from taking down some troublesome monsters to helping find lost cats.

Sector 7 Slums Quest
This quest tasks Cloud with taking care of some Drakes. If he completes it, he’ll be well rewarded.

Veko4D4.jpg

7UzzqrY.jpg

xlsRrsU.jpg

■ Battle Report

Chadley
(voiced by Shuuichirou Umeda in Japanese)

ZSS3v3F.jpg

A 15 year-old research trainee who works under Professor Hojo. You will find him in the Sector 7 slums, where he researches new types of Materia—if Cloud helps out, he’ll develop and sell Materia for the team.
Battle Report quests are available from Chadley. He will request that you complete various requirements, such as using Assess Materia a certain number of times, or defeating enemies in a specific way. Complete these tasks, and he’ll develop more Materia that you can purchase.

aFqQEE4.jpg

Wneuzlu.jpg

■ Summons

Summons are a powerful type of Materia. Equip one to a character, and they’ll be able to bring a powerful ally into battle.

Chocobo Chick

x8aWsqe.jpg

This is Chocobo Chick. We know what you’re thinking: d’awww, adorable, right? How could something so cute and fluffy be dangerous?
Don’t be fooled—Chocobo Chick is plenty powerful, and will assault your foes with powerful attacks. It’s included when you preorder any edition of Final Fantasy VII Remake.

a0VaTmf.jpg

Carbuncle

cevjdlL.jpg

Carbuncle is a mystical creature with a ruby attached to its forehead. It gives power to allies with the shining gem. This summon is included with preorders of the Digital Deluxe Edition from the PlayStation Store.

pCD2Fkl.jpg

Cactuar

EcmUfnr.jpg

Cactuar is a true icon of the Final Fantasy series. In Final Fantasy VII Remake, this summon uses incredibly powerful needle attacks while always keeping that trademark vacant expression. You will get Cactuar when you preorder the Deluxe Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition, or 1st Class Editions of the game.

esvvNLX.jpg

■ Environments

Final Fantasy VII Remake reimagines iconic Midgar locations, but also expands them to feature brand new areas that weren’t in the original game.

Mako Reactor

TfVqigf.jpg

This Mako Reactor sucks out Mako from the core of the planet. The Shinra Electric Power Company turns it into electricity or liquid gas for cities, to produce Materia and for other scientific research.
Shinra has a total monopoly on the resource, and has built several reactors around the world. That said, the safety of these structures has been questioned, as there have been confirmed accidents in remote locations.

Corkscrew Tunnel

aIo1KOn.jpg

The Corkscrew Tunnel connects the streets of the slums beneath Midgar’s plate, to the living areas on top.
The tunnel coils upwards in a giant corkscrew through the centre of Midgar, and anyone who rides the train are is ID checked.
If an unauthorised intruder is discovered, they are dealt with harshly and quickly.

This is an awesome thread. Thanks for the elaborate write up! Loving all the character designs and seeing there being multiple smaller quest lines is sustaining my hype at maximum levels :messenger_smiling_hearts:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope we get to visit outside Midgar even if it’s a little bit.

D.Final

Banned
This is an awesome thread. Thanks for the elaborate write up! Loving all the character designs and seeing there being multiple smaller quest lines is sustaining my hype at maximum levels :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Thank you :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
It is the Hype Train that intensifies

The last 56 days for the Reunion with Final Fantasy VII Remake :messenger_smiling_hearts:

stickkidsam

Shit opinion also doesn't make it any less shit either, so if you don't like them don't do optional subquests. I couldn't care less, because I'll be enjoying them, since you don't speak for the general consensus.
lol vicious indeed

I'm pointing out that you saying it's "optional" doesn't address anything. Enjoy them if you want dude, that's fine.

Likelihood is however, that optional side quests have "optional" rewards like weapons and trinkets. So of course I'm going to do them. It's just disappointing that the structure of the side quests seems so on the rails and stiff compared to the way the original game had you actively look for things.

The menus using giant windows to represent individual quests is odd too, but that's more of an aesthetic preference.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's this summons included with preorder shit?
We've known for a while now that there would be pre-order (and different version) bonuses like this. It's scummy and I personally want no part in it, but I suppose people will pay for that kind of stuff so you might as well let them?

Enjoy them if you want dude, that's fine.

As long as you get that, that's all that matters. The game is not going to cater for everyone, the game cater around people that enjoy such things. There are people who have already decidedly to stubbornly hate the game, and nothing will convince them otherwise. That being said this game does not cater them, so they can fuck off, unless they want more people to shit on games they like.

EDIT: Whether or not the quests will be meaningful, that remains to be seen, but I'm not going to just jump to conclusions yet, I bet they're going to reveal new areas and fight new bosses, plus the banter will be new too. I been following this game very closely, and by putting the pieces together like a puzzle you can see the bigger picture. I bet that whole motorcycle scene with Jesse riding on the back in the Corkscrew Tunnel, and then hands you a materia, is a subquest imo, and that seems fun to me. Also wouldn't be surprised if Roche is a subquest as well, there might be different quality subquests, some better than others, we will see, but jumping to conclusions is ignorance.

Last edited:

GenericUser

The characters look great, but the world looks nothing like the ff7 I remember. Why is it, that on the last screenshot, it is bright as day in the slums? Arent't the slums in midgar supposed to be under the plates of the individual sectors? Where is the dark and gloomy atmosphere of the original? Everything looks to clean and well in shape as if I could consider this "the slums". This is an example of a real world slum:

161204-1829-img-6157.jpg

Shit is all over the place. The original was much closer to the "slum look" then the remake will be. The geometry in the remake feels rushed.

What bothers me the most is this shit right here:

Veko4D4.jpg

The original game was tightly scripted and had a wonderful pacing, this shit has no reason to exist. "Yeah, I'm totally going to solve your rat problem, the rescue of the planet can wait". This shit totally destroys the flow of the game imo. It's just there to artificially lenghten the game, because they know, they have to throw some shit into the midgar section of the game to justify the 60 dollar price tag.

stickkidsam

As long as you get that, that's all that matters. The game is not going to cater for everyone, the game cater around people that enjoy such things. There are people who have already decidedly to stubbornly hate the game, and nothing will convince them otherwise. That being said this game does not cater them, so they can fuck off, unless they want more people to shit on games they like.

EDIT: Whether or not the quests will be meaningful, that remains to be seen, but I'm not going to just jump to conclusions yet, I bet they're going to reveal new areas and fight new bosses, plus the banter will be new too. I been following this game very closely, and by putting the pieces together like a puzzle you can see the bigger picture. I bet that whole motorcycle scene with Jesse riding on the back in the Corkscrew Tunnel, and then hands you a materia, is a subquest imo, and that seems fun to me. Also wouldn't be surprised if Roche is a subquest as well, there might be different quality subquests, some better than others, we will see, but jumping to conclusions is ignorance.
It'd be great to be proven wrong here. I want this game to blast everyone's expectations out of the water, and for the most part it looks like it will. I just don't like the look of side stuff like this so far.

Just as it's dumb to shit all over something you don't know the full story on, shutting someone down for not feeling as optimistic isn't all that productive either. This is a discussion forum after all; you're going to hear opposing views. If someone shits on a game I like, it's fine by me. I already like the game and it's interesting to hear why someone else doesn't.

I've been dreaming of this remake for over a decade, so you're damn right I'm going to be critical. You can also count on seeing me in line on launch night too, squatting with pure unbridled glee!

It'd be great to be proven wrong here. I want this game to blast everyone's expectations out of the water, and for the most part it looks like it will. I just don't like the look of side stuff like this so far.

Just as it's dumb to shit all over something you don't know the full story on, shutting someone down for not feeling as optimistic isn't all that productive either. This is a discussion forum after all; you're going to hear opposing views. If someone shits on a game I like, it's fine by me. I already like the game and it's interesting to hear why someone else doesn't.

I've been dreaming of this remake for over a decade, so you're damn right I'm going to be critical. You can also count on seeing me in line on launch night too, squatting with pure unbridled glee!

I got you beat bro, I'll be playing this at Pax east, I spent thousands of dollars to book a flight + hotel just to wait in a longer ass line to play this demo. That's how hardcore I am with this game, and I don't regret a damn thing, do you know why? It's not about being optimistic, I'm already sold, it's about supporting the things I love. That's why I laugh at people who complain this game is in parts, and they only have to pay $60 at launch. I'm like seriously? How can you call yourself a fan, complaining about $60 for each part for expanded lore, I just spent over a thousand for a fucking demo! These are not fans, these are haters, just looking for something to shit on. So you can't blame me for getting upset over the dumbest fucking criticism people can think of, it's like shitting on Picasso paintings because people don't get it. I understand not everyone is going to agree this game is a masterpiece, but you know what those people are the vocal minority, they're just loud as fuck, and just as annoying and I'm sick of hearing them. Can't wait to hear what real fans think, those thousands of people waiting in line with me to try out the demo, those hardcore crazy fanatics like myself willing to spend thousands on a fucking demo, because that's the passion and positive energy that I want to hear that will get me even more hyped up!

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Big brain Carbuncle.

Though I'm getting FFVII on Ps4 at launch, I can't wait for the PC release so I can graphics whore myself to death in photo mode.

John Day

The characters look great, but the world looks nothing like the ff7 I remember. Why is it, that on the last screenshot, it is bright as day in the slums? Arent't the slums in midgar supposed to be under the plates of the individual sectors? Where is the dark and gloomy atmosphere of the original? Everything looks to clean and well in shape as if I could consider this "the slums". This is an example of a real world slum:

161204-1829-img-6157.jpg

Shit is all over the place. The original was much closer to the "slum look" then the remake will be. The geometry in the remake feels rushed.

What bothers me the most is this shit right here:

Veko4D4.jpg

The original game was tightly scripted and had a wonderful pacing, this shit has no reason to exist. "Yeah, I'm totally going to solve your rat problem, the rescue of the planet can wait". This shit totally destroys the flow of the game imo. It's just there to artificially lenghten the game, because they know, they have to throw some shit into the midgar section of the game to justify the 60 dollar price tag.

U5xSjjk.jpg

People, do try to remember better people 🤣.

I can understand the concern, pre-rendered backdrops made it more tight looking.

Do take into account though, almost all gameplay we’ve seen has been on the upper plate of Midgar, which are a beat cleaner, and the reactors.

But, truly, my hype is in check too, we’ve been bitten before 🤣.

Last edited:
Top Bottom