• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXVI Footage shown at PAX East

Markio128

I enjoy both turn-based and free combat styles. I think the important thing for me when it comes to FF16 is the combat depth, not the combat style. As long as there is still strategy involved of some description, then it should be fine. I’m pretty sure that certain weapons and magical abilities will be required for particular circumstances, but we shall see.

My original point was that things will always consistently change, no one can’t stop it, that’s life.
Yes, and I’m adding onto that by saying that those changes are way more large and sweeping in the Final Fantasy IP, which should solidify your point even further. No FF fan should expect the opposite.

Fredrik

My original point was that things will always consistently change, no one can’t stop it, that’s life.
That phrase can be used for everything people discuss here;

Gamepass taking over how we consume games, MS buying ABK, no sexy characters, VR dying or taking over, game prices going up, graphics card prices going up, games launching in a broken state and gets patched for a half a year and is fixed when we’ve already finished them, etc etc.

Doesn’t stop people from being disappointed at the changes if they don’t align with how they want things.

My biggest issue is the devolution and ultra simplification of the combat system.
We went from controlling and worrying with amount of HP/MP of 4 party members, where all 4 could die and reviving cost an action/item (not counting auto phoenix down, but that was mid/late game) and having to use strategy and plan 2 or 3 moves ahead to controlling a single character accompanied by a support char (I'm not counting the dog, his actions seem to be mostly scripted), the support char chances of dying are probably zero, it's there mostly to talk during exploration so the player doesn't feel lonely and/or to make combat (even) easier by healing the player and/or to provide hand holding when the player uses the wrong attack type more than once against an enemy in Dragon's Dogma style "It's weak to fire! Kill it with fire!".
So are you gonna sit here and say that something like Lightning Returns isn’t one of the most complex combat systems in a Final Fantasy to date just because the player “only has to worry about” Lightning? Because the skill + amount of customization required to not suck is probably more than any other Final Fantasy.

It’s fine and understandable to prefer less action-oriented combat systems but to sit here and act like turn-based is rocket science and action is for little doodoo brains is funny

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So are you gonna sit here and say that something like Lightning Returns isn’t one of the most complex combat systems in a Final Fantasy to date just because the player “only has to worry about” Lightning? Because the skill + amount of customization required to not suck is probably more than any other Final Fantasy.

It’s fine and understandable to prefer less action-oriented combat systems but to sit here and act like turn-based is rocket science and action is for little doodoo brains is funny
I don't count spin-offs or... sequels...
FF13 was enough to not even try to play ff13-2 or ff13-3. Lightning is the most unlikeable character of any Final Fantasy, I just wanted to punch her face into a pulp every second I spent playing FF13.

Fredrik

FF13 was enough to not even try to play ff13-2 or ff13-3. Lightning is the most unlikeable character of any Final Fantasy, I just wanted to punch her face into a pulp every second I spent playing FF13.
Lol easy now, the grumpy loner type of character has been done before in FF, nothing worth being hateful over. If I had time I would go through that trilogy again, nothing was the same afterwards.

GymWolf

This one is ok in real time, ff7 remake should have been turn based, maybe with some changes to spice up things.

I have spoken.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Attack, Magic, Summon, Defend, Item, Switch party member, etc
Stuff that requires actually thinking, specially if there is a proper class system (like FF9).
Unlike boring button mashing with blinding light effects and combo counting pop ups, like the game is afraid the player attention span is so short that if there aren't strong flashing light effects and pop ups every 2 seconds on the screen the player might quit the game and go play something else.
Woah… hold on. My feeble gaijin brain can’t handle all that deep strategy.

… give me a break. I’ve played every Final Fantasy game. The “strategy” for every single non-boss battle is to use direct damage moves until you win. For boss battles it rarely gets deeper than stuff like “heal if your HP gets low”, “use the element that can hurt this enemy”, “don’t attack while they’re doing their counter attack stance”.

About as deep as a sheet of paper. Don’t fool yourself.

BTW it sounds like XVI will have something like a job system where you can mix and match abilities. One of the producers said it’s like if FFV were an action game.

Variahunter

So don’t count FFXVI too :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

« I don’t count this, I don’t count that »
Seriously the amount of bullshit some people will try to come up with, just to seem to stay logic with their narrative is really astounding.

You just got proof that action rpg can be strategic too. Doesn’t mean that FFXVI will be, but most FF aren’t.
All of the random encounters are brain dead selecting attack / the most powerful spell / limit break with the occasional potion regen. Sometimes a Phoenix Down if you’re really bad.
Even the bosses are easy. The only strategic parts happen against optional end game bosses.

I’m playing FFXII actually, it’s likely one of the FF that really puts an emphasis on status effect, and where synergy with your team maters a bit. But again, you can roll over the main scenario without too much thinking.

Others FF are even easier than XII strategically speaking.

lyan

And why do you think that is? FF is at it’s 16th iteration by now and lots of people here has played them since the first one, and how many FF has been realtime ARPGs so far?
Top of my head Crisis Core, Type0, 13-3, 15, Origin.

If one cares enough about the FF brand on how they steer in future they shouldn't disregard these and, except Origin, they're as "Final Fantasy" as you can get just like other Final Fantasy. Heck, we even have 14 that plays more like a bullet hell shmup, 16 at least has RPG in the genre lol.

Fredrik

Top of my head Crisis Core, Type0, 13-3, 15, Origin.

If one cares enough about the FF brand on how they steer in future they shouldn't disregard these and, except Origin, they're as "Final Fantasy" as you can get just like other Final Fantasy. Heck, we even have 14 that plays more like a bullet hell shmup, 16 at least has RPG in the genre lol.
Strictly talking about the mainline serie, add FF7R and it would still be an understatement to simply say the roots are turn-based. So it’s quite obvious that some fans will complain when the IP is moving away from that, would’ve happened to any long going game serie.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From very beginning FFXVI shown as ARPG, at this point complaining about it adds nothing to the conversation other than unnecessary whining. If you are not happy with where FF is going then don’t buy it.

My entire reason recommending Octopath 2 in first place is to say they are other quality turn based RPGs out there.

Like it or not FFXVI is ARPG…..can we please move on already?

lyan

Strictly talking about the mainline serie, add FF7R and it would still be an understatement to simply say the roots are turn-based. So it’s quite obvious that some fans will complain when the IP is moving away from that, would’ve happened to any long going game serie.
That's my point, "mainline" is just arbitrary naming, these are all final fantasys and they've been making them for a long time.

Elios83

Lol guys the game has gone gold.
The action vs turn based debate is pointless. It's not gonna change the game, if some people don't like action JRPGs this game could very well be a masterpiece in its genre but it just won't be for them. Just move on.
The mainline FF series tries to innovate and change with every game, I don't like MMORPGs and I skipped FFXI and FFXIV for example but this doesn't mean those games didn't find a big audience and were great at what they wanted to do.

Fredrik

From very beginning FFXVI shown as ARPG, at this point complaining about it adds nothing to the conversation other than unnecessary whining. If you are not happy with where FF is going then don’t buy it.

My entire reason recommending Octopath 2 in first place is to say they are other quality turn based RPGs out there.

Where were you when God of War changed direction? And Tomb Raider? And Gran Turismo? And Souls (Elden Ring)? And Halo? And Metroid?
I’d say it’s expected to have old fans of an old IP expressing some concerns when the IP is changing direction. Fans might not want to move on but help getting their concerns heard in a hope for future games correcting things. It’s why the games mentioned are still discussed frequently. Try to see it as something that puts the IP in the spotlight and a simple trailer thread high up on the board.

SkylineRKR

Woah… hold on. My feeble gaijin brain can’t handle all that deep strategy.

… give me a break. I’ve played every Final Fantasy game. The “strategy” for every single non-boss battle is to use direct damage moves until you win. For boss battles it rarely gets deeper than stuff like “heal if your HP gets low”, “use the element that can hurt this enemy”, “don’t attack while they’re doing their counter attack stance”.

About as deep as a sheet of paper. Don’t fool yourself.

BTW it sounds like XVI will have something like a job system where you can mix and match abilities. One of the producers said it’s like if FFV were an action game.

True, most you do in classic FFVII is using attack over and over. Limit breaks when available, heals here and there and some spells if enemies are resistant to physical. Summons are good damage dealers in the first half, but after that your regular attack easily outdamages it and its faster to sit through. If you go the extra mile, and find double Cut or slash all or something, there isn't even a reason to cast anything else.

And this also applies to FFVIII, where you can boost your damage even faster bc junctions. You just physical attack, exploit limits. Same. Its literally all you need to do against 90% of enemies and even bosses.

IX was a bit different since the game works with pre baked jobs, but comes down to attacking with your physical fighters with a healer and black mage thrown in. FFX because of enemy types (wakka exclusively deals with flyers, Auron with armored enemies etc), but in this game you also use regular attack over and over. You need a different character for each enemy type, but eventually you are abusing Quick Hit and sidelining your mages.

Which is why I never really understood the complaints addressed at FFXII. This game let you auto battle when desired, so you could kill trash mob without having to spam an attack button all the time. It was great for fighting through useless enemies.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Where were you when God of War changed direction? And Tomb Raider? And Gran Turismo? And Souls (Elden Ring)? And Halo? And Metroid?
I’d say it’s expected to have old fans of an old IP expressing some concerns when the IP is changing direction. Fans might not want to move on but help getting their concerns heard in a hope for future games correcting things. It’s why the games mentioned are still discussed frequently. Try to see it as something that puts the IP in the spotlight and a simple trailer thread high up on the board.
Final Fantasy has always been changing directions. I remember when FF VII launched and the fanbase were saying things like “I miss when Final Fantasy used to be FANTASY” and “I want to play a game, not watch a movie”.

The last turn based mainline FF came out over 20 years ago. Have you been sleeping in a cryogenic chamber since the early PS2 era?

Kev Kev

People are allowed to complain. FF16 was always going to be divisive with it's shift to more action oriented combat. I think the game will be fine, but I understand people wanting to have their voice heard about why they aren't happy with the shift.

SkylineRKR

Ironically FFVII R is actually one of the deeper FF games. Esp. on Hard mode. Ok, its a bit cheap that they block item usage, but to conquer Hard mode I had to use pretty much everything. Aerith Soul steal really becomes a powerful tool, as does chakra and pray somewhat. Buffs and debuffs are mandatory, and spell spamming is not advised (you want to make them count). You need to use most tools here. Some people don't like the stagger mechanic introduced in XIII, but I kind of like it. You can very quickly stagger enemies by using the correct spells and you can build the damage output fast if you know what you are doing.

Generally I appreciate RPG that really force you to be tactical. Like DQXI on Draconian or Blue Dragon Hard Mode, in these games its required you use buffs and debuffs and keep them up. You can't just attack your way to victory. But play both games on default settings and you can.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
True, most you do in classic FFVII is using attack over and over. Limit breaks when available, heals here and there and some spells if enemies are resistant to physical. Summons are good damage dealers in the first half, but after that your regular attack easily outdamages it and its faster to cast. If you go the extra mile, and find double Cut or slash all or something, there isn't even a reason to cast anything.

And this also applies to FFVIII, where you can boost your damage even faster bc junctions. You just physical attack, exploit limits. Same.

IX was a bit different since the game works with pre baked jobs. FFX because of enemy types (wakka exclusively deals with flyers, Auron with armored enemies etc), but in this game you also attack over and over, eventually abusing Quick Hit.

Which is why I never really understood the complaints addressed at FFXII. This game let you auto battle when desired, so you could kill trash mob without having to spam an attack button all the time. It was great for fighting through useless enemies.
Totally agree about XII. It says a lot about the earlier FF games when you can replicate like 98% of the “strategy” with a short list of IF statements. Setting up my gambits and getting my party to behave exactly how I wanted was more rewarding and strategic than the actual battles in the earlier games.

Also loved how the battles take place right on the field. No battle screen transition, no intro/victory animations, no results screen. They really eliminated so much time wasting and tedium.

Also, buffs were actually useful because you could cast them between battles, whereas in earlier games you were just wasting a turn that could’ve been better spent attacking instead.

Musilla

ezgif-4-a00a7bff2b.gif

Fredrik

Final Fantasy has always been changing directions. I remember when FF VII launched and the fanbase were saying things like “I miss when Final Fantasy used to be FANTASY” and “I want to play a game, not watch a movie”.

The last turn based mainline FF came out over 20 years ago. Have you been sleeping in a cryogenic chamber since the early PS2 era?
Drop the insults, FFXIII and it’s sequel still don’t let you move around freely and do janky realtime battles where you wonder if you’re playing FF or a bad DMC clone. There has been 2 more mainline FF after that before we head off to XVI, I’m still very much awake and hoping what they’re doing is just a short experiment.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Drop the insults, FFXIII and it’s sequel still don’t let you move around freely and do janky realtime battles where you wonder if you’re playing FF or a bad DMC clone. There has been 2 more mainline FF after that before we head off to XVI, I’m still very much awake and hoping what they’re doing is just a short experiment.
Yup hopefully this is just a short little 25-30 year experiment, and my grandkids will get to experience Final Fantasy as the old fashioned turn based series it was always meant to be, like what I grew up with.

SkylineRKR

Totally agree about XII. It says a lot about the earlier FF games when you can replicate like 98% of the “strategy” with a short list of IF statements. Setting up my gambits and getting my party to behave exactly how I wanted was more rewarding and strategic than the actual battles in the earlier games.

Also loved how the battles take place right on the field. No battle screen transition, no intro/victory animations, no results screen. They really eliminated so much time wasting and tedium.

Also, buffs were actually useful because you could cast them between battles, whereas in earlier games you were just wasting a turn that could’ve been better spent attacking instead.

Yea. Battles start instantly and you can also just ignore them though the more powerful enemies might cripple you if you push through (esp. if its in an area you are not supposed to be yet). And buffs yes, you can cast Bubble etc outside of battle.

Its true that buffs and debuffs are a waste in most JRPG. Because you waste a turn, and there is a chance it won't even stick. In Lost Odyssey, I never used debuffs ever. Because when I tried it would never apply anyway and I think all bosses were immune to begin with. That game already had a slow battle system.

lyan

You can move freely in FFXI, FFXII (or even DQXI), doesn't really mean anything.

One gripe I have with XIII is your attacks are tied to animation hitboxes and can actually miss as they move the characters for you in stupid routes when enemies are positioned in unfortunate ways, that's the real jank.

Fredrik

You can move freely in FFXI, FFXII (or even DQXI), doesn't really mean anything.

One gripe I have with XIII is your attacks are tied to animation hitboxes and can actually miss as they move the characters for you in stupid routes when enemies are positioned in unfortunate ways, that's the real jank.
Where would you draw the line?
I’d agree that the line was already getting blurry before Lightning even though it wasn’t like what we have now. Never played FFXI so know nothing about that, or FFXIV. Unpopular opinion but I kinda liked FFXIII, played somewhat like the old ones regarding strategy, some boss fights are hard to forget, super linear until chapter 11 though.
I think FFXV was the first one where I dropped out. I have issues accepting FF7RI as well but that’s because it was supposed to be a remake, it’s still pulling some serious nostalgia strings for me though.

Anyhow I’ll play FFXVI as the good boy I am but I can’t say it’s the combat that pulls me in there, for me it’s that big budget AAA JRPG experience that nobody else are doing.

I remember they put this bird shit in Assassin's Creed Origins. Here I was immersed in Egypt solving a puzzle and this fucking thing pops out. WTF Ubisoft. LOL.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Stuff that requires actually thinking, specially if there is a proper class system
tall me sir, give me a good example of this strategy that you see in FF7 fights that's clearly so much more complex than an action game's battle system

People always talk turn based strategy (even though actual strategy games like Age of Empires, Fire Emblem and Pikmin are infinitely more strategic than any FF7 fight) but they never give examples of the complexity of an FF game. Most of the fun comes from the RPG elements and they're still here in the action based battles

Ar¢tos

tall me sir, give me a good example of this strategy that you see in FF7 fights that's clearly so much more complex than an action game's battle system

People always talk turn based strategy (even though actual strategy games like Age of Empires, Fire Emblem and Pikmin are infinitely more strategic than any FF7 fight) but they never give examples of the complexity of an FF game. Most of the fun comes from the RPG elements and they're still here in the action based battles
There are so many enemies that require specific strategies that can't be used in action games and that AI is too dumb to do (In turn based FF games in general, not just FF7)
Like casting Reflect x 4 and then casting a damage spell on your own party member. Or casting Dispel on a party member to be able to Heal via magic if the character has Reflect. You can't do that with AI controlled chars.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The strategy comes from how your skills are based on each of your characters stats and gear rather than your reaction time and how well you can use a controller. It’s all about what actions you let each character do on your turn before you let the enemies unleash their attacks. You can go through your inventory, list of spells and summons etc without rushing it and get out of a tricky situation just by doing something clever. It’s awesome and a completely different play style than real time action.

I like action when it’s well made though, most of my all time favorites are realtime action games, but far too many games with roots in other genres don’t get it right and then it just annoys me.
But who knows maybe FFXVI will get it right, we’ll see.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Do you keep attacking until you win? Or do you use magic and 1-shot the entire enemy party?

Sorry, I know it’s really complex. Gaijin dudebros can’t really wrap their heads around it.

lyan

Where would you draw the line?
I’d agree that the line was already getting blurry before Lightning even though it wasn’t like what we have now. Never played FFXI so know nothing about that, or FFXIV. Unpopular opinion but I kinda liked FFXIII, played somewhat like the old ones regarding strategy, some boss fights are hard to forget, super linear until chapter 11 though.
I think FFXV was the first one where I dropped out. I have issues accepting FF7RI as well but that’s because it was supposed to be a remake, it’s still pulling some serious nostalgia strings for me though.

Anyhow I’ll play FFXVI as the good boy I am but I can’t say it’s the combat that pulls me in there, for me it’s that big budget AAA JRPG experience that nobody else are doing.
The line is IX, X is the first entry which they started telling fans that every FFs are going to play wildly different from here on using whatever funky gameplay systems they come up with.

Historically Square has been making/green-liting weird/unique battle systems anyway since SNES like the Mana games (which imo FF7R is basically Secret of Mana 3 spiced up), unlike Dragon Quest I just think assuming the existence of a "direction" in terms of battle system is strange.

Rexket

Neo Member
I’ve Really come to understand why SMT:Nocturne has such a reputation of being an unbelievably hard game when people consider the classic final fantasy games to be tactical and deeply thought intensive.

Guys would have an aneurism if you saw the depth and options in Divinity Original Sin 2.

TheAssist

Stuff that requires actually thinking, specially if there is a proper class system (like FF9).
Unlike boring button mashing with blinding light effects and combo counting pop ups, like the game is afraid the player attention span is so short that if there aren't strong flashing light effects and pop ups every 2 seconds on the screen the player might quit the game and go play something else.

Both arguments are equally stupid and only represent the extreme cases.
One says that there were never any tactical challenging fights, which is untrue since some boss fights and super boss fights require a lot of thinking and using all of your party and their abilities (unless you use cheese strats), the other one implies that an action combat system has absolutely no strategy or tactics involved, which is also false. For Example FF7R gives you the exact same tools as the OG turn based game does up unto mid game and you can use them in the same way ( yes that includes attack, magic, defend, summons and item usage on top of time based skills like counters and parries, positioning and stances).

The truth is that in the turn based games you are mostly pressing the attack button to preserve your resources for boss fights. Also most FF games are easy enough to just survive with this strategy, at least until late game, when even normal fights become significant resource drains.
Those normal "mob" fights are much more engaging with an action combat system, since positioning and timing are very dynamic dimensions that are completely missing in turn based games (other than changing your row once in a fight). However, imho the boss fights and super boss fights in action based game rely more on pattern recognition and muscle memory, while the tactical aspect is more relegated to your initial setup.

So both systems have clear strengths and there are ways to cover up the weakness of each system with good game design.
So instead of making stupid and more importantly false assumptions about any given combat system, it would be more helpful to complain about certain CONCRETE aspects and give examples were one systems false flat while the other excels.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Both arguments are equally stupid and only represent the extreme cases.
One says that there were never any tactical challenging fights, which is untrue since some boss fights and super boss fights require a lot of thinking and using all of your party and their abilities (unless you use cheese strats), the other one implies that an action combat system has absolutely no strategy or tactics involved, which is also false. For Example FF7R gives you the exact same tools as the OG turn based game does up unto mid game and you can use them in the same way ( yes that includes attack, magic, defend, summons and item usage on top of time based skills like counters and parries, positioning and stances).

The truth is that in the turn based games you are mostly pressing the attack button to preserve your resources for boss fights. Also most FF games are easy enough to just survive with this strategy, at least until late game, when even normal fights become significant resource drains.
Those normal "mob" fights are much more engaging with an action combat system, since positioning and timing are very dynamic dimensions that are completely missing in turn based games (other than changing your row once in a fight). However, imho the boss fights and super boss fights in action based game rely more on pattern recognition and muscle memory, while the tactical aspect is more relegated to your initial setup.

So both systems have clear strengths and there are ways to cover up the weakness of each system with good game design.
So instead of making stupid and more importantly false assumptions about any given combat system, it would be more helpful to complain about certain CONCRETE aspects and give examples were one systems false flat while the other excels.
funny-thank-you-jimmy-fallon-fxbourgj6qcfvwl3.gif

Being hyperbolic has become norm here but also just kills any proper discussion.

Freeman76

Yeah man this game would be so much better if, instead of this awesome action combat, you just sat there picking “attack” from a menu over and over.

I felt like FF15 and also FF7R were just as bad. I never understood why people raved about the combat in those games, felt floaty as fuck to me and I actually prefer the old turn based style as well. I never felt in control in those 2 games. The paradigm systems in 13/13-2 were much better imo.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I felt like FF15 and also FF7R were just as bad. I never understood why people raved about the combat in those games, felt floaty as fuck to me and I actually prefer the old turn based style as well. I never felt in control in those 2 games. The paradigm systems in 13/13-2 were much better imo.
Seems like everybody hated XV. 7R was better although yeah I really hated how they made the AI so ineffective so you have to constantly swap characters. Stranger of Paradise had awesome combat though. Anyway I don’t think XVI looks anything like those games.

Also agree XII and XIII trilogy had amazing combat. I wouldn’t mind more games like that, where they’re neither action nor turn based.

Fredrik

I HATE this type of conversations because people end up insulting both turn based combat and action combat and personally enjoy both.

2M8.gif
I like both too but mixing Action and RPG into Action RPG often means some aspect of the original genres gets scaled back. It’s just a complex genre, striking the right balance where gear and character stats matter as much as your ”git gud” skills is not easy. We’ll see how it goes, I’ll be there playing like I assume most of us are. And I hear they might show more roleplaying in the SoP tomorrow! 👌

Top Bottom