• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Features to DLSS Coming through NVIDIA RTX Unreal Engine 4 Branch (could this help the rumored Switch Pro ?)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

• Improved VR support. Maintaining the 2880×1600 resolution of top-end VR head mounted displays while delivering the recommended 90 FPS has been made easier with DLSS.​
  • New ultra performance mode for 8K gaming. Deliver 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with DLSS.
  • Dynamic resolution support. The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution.
These updates are now available to download through NVIDIA’s RTX Branch on Unreal Engine 4 while the standalone NVIDIA DLSS update will be made available later this month.

I think the "dynamic resolution support" could potentially help the rumored Switch Pro in a great way, and this all make sense when you think about the DLSS 2.0 present on the next Switch:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
unknown.png

• Improved VR support. Maintaining the 2880×1600 resolution of top-end VR head mounted displays while delivering the recommended 90 FPS has been made easier with DLSS.​
  • New ultra performance mode for 8K gaming. Deliver 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with DLSS.
  • Dynamic resolution support. The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution.
These updates are now available to download through NVIDIA’s RTX Branch on Unreal Engine 4 while the standalone NVIDIA DLSS update will be made available later this month.

I think the "dynamic resolution support" could potentially help the rumored Switch Pro in a great way, and this all make sense when you think about the DLSS 2.0 present on the next Switch:

Imagine thinking that this rumored Switch pro might have RTX-level hardware in it. 😂

CamHostage

Imagine thinking that this rumored Switch pro might have RTX-level hardware in it. 😂
I mean, yeah - no, not at all.

That said, having DLSS natively added to Unreal Engine is a good thing, and NVIDIA did include "AI-Enhanced Upscaling" (something sort of kind of like DLSS, but I don't know the degree of difference?) in it's 2019 version of NVIDIA Shield TV (running on a NVIDIA Tegra X1+,) so it's coming to mobile-type architectures in due time. And having a blurry 600p game on Nintendo Switch suddenly upscale nice enough on an enhanced Switch that it seems much more like a 720p or 1080 signal, that would alleviate some problems with Switch (the complexity of games has been just fine so far, but sub-native rendering has made too many games not worth playing for how hard they can be on your eyes.) So ... still not at all, but I get why this came to mind, maybe?

This NVIDIA event wasn't the time to learn about anything that would affect anybody but PC buyers. But if NVIDIA can bring out hardware and features this exciting in the GeForce line, it does make some of us eager to see what work they've been cooking up for next Tegra devices (including an upgraded Switch, some day....)

Last edited:

Rat Rage

unknown.png

tenor.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo didn’t use the newest tech on the console at launch, why would they on a refresh?
Well, Nintendo DS didn't have lithium battery, LCD screen and camera at released, yet they had NDS Lite and NDSi... I don't care much about the console itself tho, I'm hoping it's just a expansion dock

GametimeUK

Hum so... yeah I was dreaming right ?

So Good GIF by memecandy
The fact you've been sitting there since September waiting for the moment where you can do a cheeky bump to rub it in the face of the 7 or so people that were bothered enough to reply in your thread makes me respect you so much. I admire the dedication and I would have done the same.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The fact you've been sitting there since September waiting for the moment where you can do a cheeky bump to rub it in the face of the 7 or so people that were bothered enough to reply in your thread makes me respect you so much. I admire the dedication and I would have done the same.
Happy Ha Ha GIF by reactionseditor

Right !?

I KNEW MY TIME WOULD COME !

99Luffy

Banned
I'll be annoyed if switch pro has an exclusive 60fps mode in the next Zelda. Resolutions I dont care about, but double the framerate would force me to upgrade.

EDIT: Eeww necrobump

Last edited:
Top Bottom