• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Far Cry is said to be in development and will release before April 2021

Bullet Club

New Far Cry is Said to be in Development and Will Release Before April 2021

It seems as though Ubisoft is cooking up a potential Far Cry 6, with a release on next-gen platforms seeming likely.

Earlier today, we reported on the new information that Ubisoft is planning to release five AAA games within its coming fiscal year which will start on April 1, 2020, and wrap up on March 31, 2021. While we had a good idea of what most of those games would end up being, it now seems as though the full scope of what Ubisoft has up its sleeve has potentially been unveiled.

Alongside Watch Dogs Legion, Gods & Monsters, Rainbow Six Quarantine, and a new, currently unrevealed Assassin’s Creed game, the fifth title that is planned to release in this period will supposedly be a Far Cry game. This information comes by way of Kotaku reporter Jason Schreier, who recently disclosed these details on Twitter.

Schreier said that the two currently mysterious games will be releasing in the coming fiscal year belong to both the Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry franchises. Both of these games haven’t been announced by Ubisoft formally as of this writing, but the advent of either shouldn’t come as a shock. Far Cry and Assassin’s Creed are two of the biggest franchises that Ubisoft has under their publishing umbrella. Far Cry 5, specifically, is the best-selling game of this entire generation for Ubisoft, so it shouldn’t be a surprise whatsoever that the publisher would be looking to return to that well quickly.

The larger question at hand regarding this new Far Cry game is whether or not it would be a spin-off or if it would instead be a new mainline entry. Within this generation, Ubisoft has released not only Far Cry 4 and 5, but also Far Cry Primal and Far Cry New Dawn. Based on the current pattern of releases though, it seems more likely that this upcoming game would be a formal Far Cry 6 rather than anything else. That remains to be seen, however.

If Ubisoft does have Far Cry 6 in the works, it seems as though a formal reveal planned for later in the year will likely come about soon enough. Per usual, around May or June, right when E3 2020 will be rounding the corner, is when we might start to hear more. In all likelihood, the next Far Cry game will also surely be coming to next-gen platforms in PS5 and Xbox Series X, too. It sounds like the next generation of consoles could be starting off with quite the bang.

Source: Dualshockers

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i will have to play through the last couple. i missed out on them. 4 is the last game i really played a ton of. no, that's wrong, i picked up 2 soon afterwards. 2 is really good, probably my favorite. it's really quite unique, i recommend it if anyone is feeling the franchise is getting too many.

will look forward to this! say what you will about the story or gimmicks, the moment to moment gameplay in these games is always a lot of fun.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Havent played Far Cry game since 4

Ever since 4 theres plenty other open world game that comes out better

Ubisoft open world game have become stale and boring recently, they have to do much better than that

kretos

Banned
I just finished Far Cry 5 few days ago it was fucking great, i just hope for FC6 they
don't go the post apocalyptic route based on the ending and just make a fallout clone

Last edited:
To date the last Far Cry game i liked was Far Cry 2... They've got so carried away since that title i think anything they do now will probably miss the mark with me, at least.

For the record i loved the relatively light touch of the various gimmicks they populated the far cry 2 world with. For the most part it was just disparate outposts and such with sun baked fields and grey jungles to creep through. I loved how gritty it felt and how you could almost feel the hot sun, smell it baking everything. I've owned and played both fc3 and 4 and neither of them recaptured those aspects that i so enjoyed. Rather they seemed to go down other, more advertisement clip friendly, paths.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My predictions for Ubisoft's lineup -

Rainbow Six Quarantine - Summer 2020
AC 2020 - October 30th
WD Legion - November 20th
Gods & Monsters - February 2021
Far Cry 6 - March 26th, 2021

Wouldn't be surprised if G&M gets delayed to late 2021 or early 2022. As for Far Cry 6, I really wish they would go back to the old formula for Far Cry. Give me my towers, give me my hunting/upgrading, etc. with a great antagonist while giving me a better protagonist who's preset, actually fucking talks, isn't some shitty character creation and eliminate the recruiting team mate garbage.

FC 5 was a great 8.0/10 game but compared to FC 4/Primal/FC 3 which were a 9.0/10 for me, it was disappointing. Visuals and gameplay/shooting mechanics saved FC 5 for me but the side content was average at best while the story and characters were completely ruined and shot to hell due to the silent protagonist. Of course, with FC 5 being the series best seller, sadly, im expecting more of the same. :(

TaySan

Banned
I stopped playing this series after 4. I think i've had my fill unless they drastically alter the series formula. Assassin"s Creed is more than enough to feed that itch.

Solarstrike

FarCry VI set during the Middle Ages would be interesting. With fighting mechanics not unlike For Honor (as you train and level up). In playing Kingdom Come Deliverance, i just imagine that a FarCry set during that era would be quite fun and a change of pace from all the gun-play in the recent iterations. Whereas you can storm garrisons, associate and hire warriors to join your expanding clan, seek out and hunt, craft, and trade for new gear. Repair and expand towns and villages (or destroy them if you wish). Something far more serious in tone and presentation. Emphasis on environmental details, weather effects, town life of the time. The struggle of the city folk and region(s) under reign of a merciless and greed-stricken King (or Queen). The use of Binaural sound in the game would add a more realistic tone per immersion. Echoes of city life or fields of grain during a strong wind. Ships could also be utilized for transport of goods/trade/or raid as you expand your clan throughout the territory.

This time though in FarCry, decision(s) you make can cause changes to a city. Example, a rat infestation is plaguing a village. Do you burn it down, potentially leaving people to flee and get captured by a nearby patrol? Or do you find and create a "cure" by gathering ingredients to put in food (corpses, trash, grain) in hopes the rats will consume it. At the same time a local garrison has imposed higher tax rates which would severely affect one of your strategic investments, reducing your income for expansion greatly. You must choose to quell this unwise decision by the local magistrate and turn their coffers loose, or maybe not. If you choose the later, the city with the rat plague would be overcome with disease and that disease may or may not spread real-time, in the game world. OR assassinating a local magistrate official may cause the general public to attempt revolt, and the people will take up arms. It is your decision to interfere or let them try to regain freedom. Some of these towns may form their own clans in real-time if you do not interfere in which you can then try to recruit or wage battle against in they refuse your generous (or not so generous) offer of better food, supplies, better housing, medicine, etc. If these battles occur, "heroes", "heroines" "warriors" may arise at random from the town to ultimately battle you. These warriors may or not be recruit-able depending on your status in how you chosen to run your clan. Unimpressive armaments, cavalry, supply numbers would be more difficult to attract new clansman. Whereas a clan of armored cavalry, soldiers with gear other than pitchforks, shoddy spears, and harsh language would be more successful. Throw in a few catapults and even the main garrison of the region may send it's forces to quell your attempts at creating democracy.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I just finished Far Cry 5 few days ago it was fucking great, i just hope for FC6 they
don't go the post apocalyptic route based on the ending and just make a fallout clone
I imagine they’ll go a different route
considering the apocalyptic mad max/fallout itch was likely scratched with far cry: new dawn (which is basically Far Cry 5.5)

The setting and vibe of FC5 seems cool to me, but from what I've seen, the gameplay and pace still seem too similar to FC3. 3 was amazing, one of my favorite games from last gen, but 4 tried way too hard to emulate that game and 5 doesn't seem much different either. I'll probably still buy it when it's on sale for cheap because I'm a sucker.

I'm hoping Ubi Soft ditches the whole charismatic figurehead with a cult/gang thing and gives us some more originality. FC2 had some really cool ideas, but was annoying to play. I would like if they went back to the more experimental side, but without the malaria.

Ywap

Great if true!

I hope they have changed to the Anvil Next Engine or atleast taken care of that naughty autosave stutter problem.

EDMIX

Good to hear. I bought it last year and its on my back log. Heard lots of good things.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'll wait to see what's it about. Far Cry 5 was a decent game although the humor was strange in some places, some storyline moments felt forced (like allowing to be captured more than once) and the game was unbalanced. Having some allies backing you up almost felt like playing on god mode. They should work on that.

I hope it won't be anything like New Dawn. The art style in this game was a gigantic miss for me, not to mention it reused too many assets from the base game.

scalman

You dont say, and i thought they having nice free time of doing nothing.. or course they making new game
Fc5 was beast of open worlds even too big maybe... Nice new lighting great too so expecting now leap forward into next gen of everything not just resolution.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Does anyone create anything new anymore? All these big third parties just rehash the same games every year. Kudos for Gods & Monsters but the rest is so bland. Shareholders are happy I guess and sadly that’s all that matters.

azz0r

Banned
giphy.gif

Saber

Gold Member
I still play FC5 sometimes, but I think this is where I stop playing FC games. This gonna be my last one, not excited one bit for 6 I'm afraid.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I wish they would give Far Cry a break, spend some time re-tooling it, and give us something special. This is too soon to be anything other than another copy and paste Far Cry.

It's highly unlikely that FC6 will be a sequel considering New Dawn which was a pos is a direct sequel to it. My money is on the reboot.

Nero_PR

Banned
Played only Far Cry 2 and 3. Both were great games, but I think I am done with the franchise. I always look for what they have done with each new game, but it all seems too samey from 4 onwards. but hearing that Ubisoft is thinking of shaking up their Ubi formula makes me hopeful that their games can become great for me.

Far Cry is a series I just can't get into. I've tried -- really hard, too, bought 3, 4, 5, and Primal -- and the shit just ain't for me.

also, fuck that press sneak fuck

halfHedge

Neo Member
I agree. More like Far Cry 2 and please, please, please, no bullet-sponge enemies. And an in-game map that you have to physically hold. And set in the '70s maybe.
Make it raw and dirty again.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Have you been living under a rock? They already made that game it's called Far Cry New Dawn.

Humdinger

It'll be cool to see what a new Far Cry game looks like on next-gen consoles. I'm guessing it'll be a half-step towards real next-gen utilization, rather than something all-out next gen, but that's ok.

I enjoyed FC 3 and 4. 5 was ok, but I am getting tired of the formula. I doubt I'd pay full price or put a priority on playing it. Unless they do something really original with the setting (e.g., like the medieval idea Solarstrike mentioned above).

Fenris Wolf

Far Cry 5 was one of the best games in the series.
If the AI wasn't stupid and they didn't choose the wildlands-esque gameplay style, It would've been much more better. (Shit on each area's underbosses to lure the leader out etc.)
Also they need to voice the protagonist for the next entry. It sucks when you are a total nobody and can't even answer your radio calls...
The story was far more interesting compared to 4 and Primal and IMO father easily surpassed Vaas. So i'm eager to see what happens to the state of world in the next game.

Last edited:

LMJ

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Go back to the amazing interactivity of FC2, I want fences to burn and splinter, I want to see my bullets etc have impact, I want explosions to MEAN something, FC 5 was B...E...A-utiful, but it was also wooden like a set or prop

I want my weapons to FEEL like they are impacting the world around me...Please Ubisoft your graphics are great, PLEASE focus on environment

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate these "news".
Of course every sequel is in development and will be released in 2021 or later

Far Cry 6, you play as ANTIFA and have to overthrow the US Government because orange man bad. If you do nothing at the start of the game, the country gets better and you realize you're a fucking spoiled brat, otherwise you spend the entire game being an actual Nazi.

Jokes aside.. hopefully that doesn't end up being the story.. anyway, the last one I played was 4. I've been meaning to play Far Cry 5 but just haven't really felt the need to since I have a massive backlog to work through already. I heard it was really good though so if they keep up with that then 6 should be good as well. My understanding is that Ubisoft doesn't want to just release the next game, it has to be a unique pitch or something like that. It has to bring new ideas to the table. I can't remember where I read that though.

Arun1910

I really enjoyed FC2 and FC3 but ever since FC3 which to me was a high purely cause of Vaas, FC4 and FC5 were basically the same game as FC3. New Dawn then just went the typical RPG route for no reason when it came to guns and enemy types.

It has been YEARS since a proper shake up for this series, notably FC2 to FC3 (whether that's better is debatable). I want something fresh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom