• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EarthBound 64 Footage

SpiceRacz

Cool footage. I wish we had access to a playable demo or something though.

Side note: that dude has a really expensive laserdisc player in the back.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Really cool to see this but I think it's another example of N64 graphics not translating well for certain franchises. The cartoonish look worked great for Mother, blocky N64 graphics ruin the vibe imo.
Yeah, I’m glad this didn’t get through in the end. There’s something to Earthbound that really doesn’t translate well to the N64‘s graphics. And that something is the reason why the series touched so many people. I guess Nintendo must have realized this as well at the time. Contrary to what a lot of people like to think, they usually know what they’re doing.

Kokoloko85

Yeah, I’m glad this didn’t get through in the end. There’s something to Earthbound that really doesn’t translate well to the N64‘s graphics. And that something is the reason why the series touched so many people. I guess Nintendo must have realized this as well at the time. Contrary to what a lot of people like to think, they usually know what they’re doing.

I really dig the N64 look. At the time I would of loved it. Donkey Kong, Banjo, Mario.
It reminds me of the old Dinosaur planet pics for N64

nkarafo

I really dig the N64 look. At the time I would of loved it. Donkey Kong, Banjo, Mario.
It reminds me of the old Dinosaur planet pics for N64
Those games look a lot better than any Earthbound 64 footage. Even Mario 64.

I wasn't looking forward to it even back in the day when i was looking at pics in magazines.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Its a shame this never came out N64 was starved for RPGs.
Didn't matter. We got the best RPG of all time.
51dATsk9NqL.jpg

Name one other game you can suplex a raptor? I'll wait.

jaysius

Banned
Another Nintendo highly hyped game that ended up an abortion. Did we ever get footage of the work done on the announced N64 Final Fantasy game that was cancelled.

Last edited:

Mahnmut

Another Nintendo highly hyped game that ended up an abortion. Did we ever get footage of the work done on the announced N64 Final Fantasy game that was cancelled.
I don't think they have developed anything. Apart from the technical demo shown at events and this screenshot of a supposed draft developed on SFC.
oWeETq5.jpg

jaysius

Banned
I don't think they have developed anything. Apart from the technical demo shown at events and this screenshot of a supposed draft developed on SFC.
oWeETq5.jpg
They had polygonal models screenshots in Nintendo power in the mid 90's. I'm sure someone will dig it up.

kunonabi

As much as I hated the first Mother games I was always really excited for 64 for some reason. Shame it got canned.

Esppiral

What is the deal with Mother I only see hype about this game on Neogaf and nowhere else, actually I've never heard of it before joining gaf....

SpiceRacz

Really cool to see this but I think it's another example of N64 graphics not translating well for certain franchises. The cartoonish look worked great for Mother, blocky N64 graphics ruin the vibe imo.

Mother 3 has kind of a different vibe altogether compared to Mother and Mother 2. At the time, it looked okay though. Images in Nintendo Power looked way better than the footage we see online now.

How about a new Earthbound/Mother or Golden Sun Nintendo?

Itoi is the heart of that franchise and he's not making another. This might suffice though, if they ever actually finish it.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I loved the style - actually wish they would make a finished version with retro/polished old polygonal graphics and all the cinematic and “64DD” stuff they were going for. It was supposed to be their FFVII

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
oWeETq5.jpg
wow, this screenshot looks fantastic. I'd love to see a FFVI remake look like this. :pie_smiling_hearts:

Top Bottom