• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DYNASTY WARRIORS delayed

Matt_Fox

Originally scheduled for "early 2021" Koei Tecmo today announced that Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires has been delayed...

kLIKZ0E.png

Ywfs5fU.jpg

7roxKrS.jpg

As a fan I'm disappointed to have to wait longer, and here are three reasons why I think this new entry will be the best Musou game yet:

1. Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires features the amazing character creator from Nioh, allowing tinkerers to create a host of generals and officers to populate battlefields with. Unlike the often stylized / anime art style of other Musou titles, Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires leans towards realism.

2. It's an 'Empires' entry which means a compelling strategy game (not unlike the boardgame Risk) is overlaid upon the arcade action. Something for the mind as well as the thumbs.

3. It was to be the first Musou game on next gen systems. With so many combatants filling the screen, Musou games have often struggled with pop-in and framerate dips. On PS5 and XSX we have systems to finally do justice to the scale of the battlefields.

Hopefully the launch window wont be too far delayed - how do you feel about this game being pushed back?

UPDATE: 23rd Dec 2021 for the Asian release.

15th Feb 2022 for the Western release.

Last edited:

sojuwarrior

waiting for the day when they are capable of putting hundreds of punching bags on the screen at the same time, that will really feel like an actual battlefield!

KrakenIPA

Bring us a new Dynasty Tactics you cowards!! I weep for a future where tactics/strategy games don't get greenlit because they wouldn't generate enough profit. Damn mobile gaming <yells at cloud>!

Woopah

Bring us a new Dynasty Tactics you cowards!! I weep for a future where tactics/strategy games don't get greenlit because they wouldn't generate enough profit. Damn mobile gaming <yells at cloud>!
Project Triangle Strategy just got announced, there's still a chance!

Mmnow

This is sad, but not surprising. With no new release date, things must be in a bit of a state, which is surprising considering Samurai Warriors isnt a million miles away.

I wonder whether it'd be best to push this back to the end of the year or even 2022. I can't see releasing two new warriors games back to back going down so well.

Also, as an aside, it would be awesome if there was some way of deincentivising shit posts like the ones in this thread. Getting through a bunch of assholes to discuss the topic at hand is bad enough when you're dodging console warriors, but in a thread specifically about a game series? There's no need for it.

Just makes the place look cluttered and stops people from wanting to post about the things they enjoy or care about.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hope they bring back the original VAs for this but I’m guessing they won’t for an “Empires” title.

DW9 was such a flaming pile of garbage although I appreciate trying new ideas. I think they realized they fucked up and that it was poorly received since it’s taken so long for a follow up.

Despite all the “too many Dynasty Warriors games!” memes, we really haven’t had anything good since DW8XL on PS4 in 2014?

Since then I’ve played THREE Samurai Warriors games and two Hyrule Warriors games. That’s pretty wild considering Dynasty Warriors is the mainline franchise for KOEI.

Matt_Fox

An update at the Koei Tecmo stream on Tokyo Game Show...

23rd December 2021 is the Asian release date, with the English release to be confirmed soon. Also mention of a demo version prior to release.

Plus in typically bonkers fashion it looks like you can create some kind of Panda Girl in the Character Creator...

67RBdlW.jpg
1yYiscJ.jpg
1IQpk7H.jpg

1KYTq1G.jpg

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I heard they really improved the enemy AI. Instead of just mindlessly standing there while you hack them to pieces, now they will anticipate your moves and reposition themselves to be in the direct line of attack.

Really putting those 8-core CPUs to good use!

Aldynes

I'm kind of lost with all the musou like games, can a good samaritain here on GAF could share his knowledge?

I've played Dynasty Warriors 3,4 Ken's Rage 1,2 Samourai Warrior 1 and Hyrule Warriors, I would love to play some with modern consoles but from what I've seen DW9 was trash, should I wait for this DW9 Empires instead?

I'm kind of lost with all the musou like games, can a good samaritain here on GAF could share his knowledge?

I've played Dynasty Warriors 3,4 Ken's Rage 1,2 Samourai Warrior 1 and Hyrule Warriors, I would love to play some with modern consoles but from what I've seen DW9 was trash, should I wait for this DW9 Empires instead?

Samurai Warriors 5 and Age of Calamity (with the dodgy frame rate, unfortunately). They’re both solid.

Yeah I would wait and see how this turns out if you're interested. Normal DW9, at least when I played it, was something special...oh boy.

CamHostage

Are those real screenshots? Looks legit PS3 era.

The screens are good compared to what I played of DW9. That game was one of the only games I ever turned off because it was too rough visually to play.

I was really excite for the game, it seems a great evolution to have an open-world Dynasty Warriors with traversal between battle spots and a more complex RPG system and environments that could vary wildly, and in screenshots, it looked nice for a Musou game. However, when I booted it up on PS4 standard, the resolution seemed swimmy and the levels were chunky and I literally couldn't tell what things were by only looking at them. (Like, I remember spamming the pick-up button because I couldn't tell the difference between an item and the grass effects.) It's hard to imagine for me turning off a game because it's ugly (especially since I go back and play old games all the time), but the visuals were off-putting and borderline game-breaking when I played it.

I'm hoping DW9 Empires A. evens out the visuals and B. figures out something to do with the open world. I'm following it still, expecting to be let down but yet hopeful as always no matter the contrary evidence.

oh whatever will i do without another fucking warriors game ??

XJluFqj.jpg
This, to me, looks like a weirdly inflated list of "warriors related" games, with some entries, like Estrega, Toukiden or Dragon Quest Builder 2, that have mechanics completely removed from the Dinasty Warriors games and have near to none DNA shared.

Last edited:
Top Bottom