• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Donkey Kong Game for Nintendo Switch Rumored to Be in Development

Flutta

Banned
No Way Wow GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Fucking Donkey Kong.

If it was 3D I might be interested, but knowing Nintendo and their budget saving ways I'm guessing another 2D platformer which the industry is absolutely swamped with given the indie scene.

I have no faith in Nintendo.
DKC Returns shits on 99% of indie 2D platformers from a very high place.

And Tropical Freeze shits on Returns from a higher place still. The design and polish of that game is insane, and that’s not mentioning the soundtrack or it’d just be murder.

Swift_Star

Banned

And Tropical Freeze shits on Returns from a higher place still. The design and polish of that game is insane, and that’s not mentioning the soundtrack or it’d just be murder.
Yeah, dont know what that guy is on about. Just personality wise, DKC shits all over most indies.

Dream-Knife

Banned

TF is good, but lets not pretend it's as good as 1 or 2.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Prolific Nintendo YouTuber and commentator, Nintendo Prime, recently relayed a lot of new information about a supposed 3D Donkey Kong game that made the rounds a couple of years ago, as it's been rumored to be in development for a while.

In episode 12 of his podcast's second season, Prime claimed to have seen footage of an old build of this game and stated that it's "absolutely still a thing that's coming," as it's currently in development at Nintendo. However, take this information with a grain of salt, as it hasn't been confirmed by any official sources, nor has it been corroborated by another journalist.

Matching the prior rumors, Prime stated that this project was originally in development at Activision-owned studio Vicarious Visions, which was most recently known for its Crash Bandicoot reboot and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2. The project was allegedly called Donkey Kong Freedom, an open-world game that featured Donkey Kong using banana peels on his feet to grind across vines.

Miyamoto was allegedly deeply involved in the project, assisting in its design, and he apparently "loved everything happening with it." At some point around 2017, Vicarious Visions shifted its focus onto other projects and parted ways with Nintendo, the exact reasons unknown.

As Prime explained it, it's seemingly unclear if the game's concept is still exactly the same, as all available information came from the Vicarious Visions project, but Prime did state that "it has not been canned. This is absolutely still a thing that's coming." He claims that the project is now being developed internally at Nintendo and it has been since 2017, so it will likely be very large-scale.

Prime states it's being made by a subset of developers who worked on Super Mario Odyssey. Though, as he described it, it's not the mainline team of veterans, but a younger team that assisted with Odyssey and then spun off to begin working on this project by themselves. Finally, Prime speculated that the 3D Donkey Kong game is likely meant to drop with the next Nintendo console, which has also had its fair share of recent rumors.

Jinzo Prime

Matching the prior rumors, Prime stated that this project was originally in development at Activision-owned studio Vicarious Visions,
You know, It does seem strange that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle seemed to just manifest out of thin air at Ubisoft. Maybe Miyamoto was tasked with checking out Western developers during the Switch launch year to understand the global market better.

Vicarious Visions makes since as a starting place because of N-Sane Trilogy's success. And Ubisoft makes as a second stop because of Rayman. I wonder who else they have talked to in the last few years?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
You know, It does seem strange that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle seemed to just manifest out of thin air at Ubisoft. Maybe Miamoto was tasked with checking out Western developers during the Switch launch year to understand the global market better.

Vicarious Visions makes since as a starting place because of N-Sane Trilogy's success. And Ubisoft makes since as a second stop because of Rayman. I wonder who else they have talked to in the last few years?
I think this all sounds like complete and utter bullshit. Not saying a DK game will never come, but “Miyamoto being heavily involved” is a red flag in itself. Miyamoto has not been heavily involved in game development for well over a decade - he’s in a senior management and advisory role. He’s made it quite clear that he’s handed off all of the franchises to very capable people whom he trusts - the younger generation of Nintendo. Also, the 5 year development timeline sounds suspicious. That’s a long fucking time / money / resources for any first-party game that isn’t named Zelda or Mario or Mario Kart. DK isn’t tearing up the charts with sales - this is also a red flag.

Lunarorbit

This seems to be a running theme with Nintendos 1st party IP.

If your name isn't Mario then fuck off. All we got from Zelda after the massive success of launch game botw was a chibi remake of link awakening (which I liked) until tears comes out.

They keep giving studios projects and they leave them in incomplete states. It's weird and frustrating

MAtgS

If your name isn't Mario then fuck off. All we got from Zelda after the massive success of launch game botw was a chibi remake of link awakening (which I liked) until tears comes out.

They keep giving studios projects and they leave them in incomplete states. It's weird and frustrating
Well there was also the Cadence of Hyrule game.

ADiTAR

Banned
I don't know this Prime fella, so I don't know the credibility of this. I could see Nintendo outsourcing a bunch of games for testing, and I could see Western devs blabbing about it too.

Jinzo Prime

I think this all sounds like complete and utter bullshit. Not saying a DK game will never come, but “Miyamoto being heavily involved” is a red flag in itself. Miyamoto has not been heavily involved in game development for well over a decade - he’s in a senior management and advisory role. He’s made it quite clear that he’s handed off all of the franchises to very capable people whom he trusts - the younger generation of Nintendo. Also, the 5 year development timeline sounds suspicious. That’s a long fucking time / money / resources for any first-party game that isn’t named Zelda or Mario or Mario Kart. DK isn’t tearing up the charts with sales - this is also a red flag.
I agree, but their are rumors of a DK spin-off movie, and a DK addition for Super Nintendo World. Maybe they are trying to make DK relevant again?

Naked Lunch

Hopefully its more Donkey Kong 94 and less Donkey Kong Country.

Country are the most overrated games in Nintendo's library.
While DK 94 might be the best game Nintendo ever released.

Chupanibre

Hopefully its more Donkey Kong 94 and less Donkey Kong Country.

Country are the most overrated games in Nintendo's library.
While DK 94 might be the best game Nintendo ever released.
I disagree about country being overrated, but I do agree with you about DK 94. I think I used over $1k in batteries playing that on my GameBoy Pocket. I never got tired of it. Wouldn't mind a remake of that one.

Last edited:

Woopah

I think they are separate projects, the DK game at EPD8 is probably completely unrelated to the cancelled Vicarious Visions one.

We also got the Skyward Sword remaster, Hyrule Warriors port and Age of Calamity spin off.

In the list of "underused Nintendo IP", Zelda is near the bottom.

Astral Dog

I mean, idk what you expect, there have been other Zelda releases like Skyward Sword HD and Age of Calamity,but development cycles are just becoming larger and more complex ,Tears of the Kingdom is going to be easily be the most ambitious Zelda project yet and its just around the corner

Kirby just got a brand new 3D game, Metroid will (eventually) fully return with Prime 4 and a Metroid 6.the latest Fire Emblem is by far the best looking and among the best playing yet,Xenoblade 3 was well recieved ,the idea that Nintendo only cares about Mario is as silly .its not like the new Zelda, Metroid, or even Donkey Kong is going to have the same quality as a yearly Pokemon release 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Trilobit

I'd like DKC 4 with the same feel and controls of the SNES-era games rather than a new Retro DKC. The new ones lack the amazing atmosphere and tight controls which I fell in love with.

Last edited:

Camreezie

I just ripped through Tropical Freeze on the OLED Switch over a few flights and wow, what an amazing game. The music, the art style, the challenge -- everything. Can't wait to see what they're cooking up next.
Ive been waiting nine years to see whats next

While I hope Retro gets another shot at a DK game, Kirby and the Forgotten Land has me excited for a possible 3-D entry. There are so many possibilities for a new DK game. Keep it linear, give me some tight platforming, heavy hitting combat, and sick ass music, and Im so there.

Top Bottom