• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on the alleged 2009 rape incident involving Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Because a person of his position/stature has a lot to lose even from just an allegation of wrongdoing. Some would rather just make it go away. $350k is a paltry sum to someone Ronaldo. This is such a strange case because of the settlement and the fact that neither side will likely ever comment or elaborate on anything. It's left to float around in the court of public opinion.
With threats to endorsements, legal fees and public opinion, it was probably the easiest decision.

He made 30 million just from soccer this year. 1% of his soccer income from one year. Forbes has him at 88 million for 2016, I guess with endorsements.

Yeah, he has a lot of reasons to want to settle that don't revolve around guilt.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
No, the truth is none of you know what happened that night. You don't know if he did or didn't rape her.

It never went to trial, evidence was never presented at trial.. there's no video.

We don't know. We won't know unless Ronaldo comes out and says he did it.. which pretty sure he won't.

Saying you believe her with no evidence is as bad as saying you believe him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know what makes me want to throw up more, the case itself, or some of the responses in this thread. Rape culture in action once again.

No, the truth is none of you know what happened that night. You don't know if he did or didn't rape her.

It never went to trial, evidence was never presented at trial.. there's no video.

We don't know. We won't know unless Ronaldo comes out and says he did it.. which pretty sure he won't.

NervousXtian
I'm an idiot
(Today, 06:14 PM)

entremet

I don't know what makes me want to throw up more, the case itself, or some of the responses in this thread. Rape culture in action once again.
What specifically? People choosing to withhold judgment either way due to lack of evidence and testimony? Or those dismissing it completely?

Because the former is valid response that does not trivialize the allegations.

cromofo

I'll refrain from judgement seeing no concrete evidence is presented.

Not to mention it was already settled for whatever the reason.

The odds she is lying about this is low if you actually have read into stats and understand rape culture. Do I believe her? Yeah. Does that mean that I know for sure? Obviously not. I don't really buy into this "oh she just wants a pay day and is making shit up".

What specifically? People choosing to withhold judgment either way due to lack of evidence and testimony? Or those dismissing it completely?

Because the former is valid response that does not trivialize the allegations.

There's ways to go about reserving judgement, you know.

I'll refrain from judgement seeing no concrete evidence is presented.

Not to mention it was already settled for whatever the reason.

This for example is pretty acceptable.

This here is straight up bullshit.

with this line of thinking, an accused person can never be found guilty unless he/she admits guilt or there is video evidence of the alleged crime

mavo

Banned
April and June 2017, as part of their Football Leaks coverage in which they already revealed Ronaldo's tax evasion.

Which Ronaldo tax evasion? The one claimed by football leaks and the one currently being investigated by Spain (What is being investigated if is he actually committed a fiscal crime) have nothing do to witch each other.

Also i find ironic people are vouching for the court of public opinion, since is the court of public opinion what makes woman actually don't come out when they are raped, I can't even begin to imagine all the shit that would have been thrown at this woman if she came out publicly specially considering she was married at the time.

"The question is whether it is prudent to not clarify disputes and accusations of this magnitude in court. Is it a good outcome if the legal system is skipped over and the parties involved extricate themselves from the affair by paying money?

In Germany, there is a requirement that all alleged crimes must be investigated if they are reported to the police. At the very least, the authorities have to seek to make this happen. The further removed you get from this principle, the greater the suspicions will become that the wealthy are able to do more than just hire the best lawyers -- that they can also negotiate their transgressions away."

This is one of the problems here

LeChuck

Banned
The fuck is this soap box incoherent bullshit? "Nobody knows what truly happened" is ignoring the fact that a rape kit proved she was anally raped. Unless you're going to start claiming she wanted her anus lacerated. Are you now willing to throw out rape kit evidence as "inconclusive"? Well then maybe we should all just resign ourselves to women needing to film every sexual encounter they have to prove if it's rape or not, since the law is so shittily stacked against them.

It didn't prove that she was anally rapid. It just suggests they had anal sex. The injuries could easily have occurred during consensual anal sex. Laceration just means a tear in the skin.

Shiggy

Which Ronaldo tax evasion? The one claimed by football leaks and the one currently being investigated by Spain (What is being investigated if is he actually committed a fiscal crime) have nothing do to witch each other.

Also i find ironic people are vouching for the court of public opinion, since is the court of public opinion what makes woman actually don't come out when they are raped, I can't even begin to imagine all the shit that would have been thrown at this woman if she came out publicly specially considering she was married at the time.

The revelations all come as part of the same investigative consortium - Football Leaks.

NervousXtian
I'm an idiot
(Today, 06:14 PM)

That was unnecessary.

John_B

The odds she is lying about this is low if you actually have read into stats and understand rape culture. Do I believe her? Yeah. Does that mean that I know for sure? Obviously not. I don't really buy into this "oh she just wants a pay day and is making shit up".
Good thing we don't convict people on stats. Presumption of innocence is an important human right. How do you think our system can function properly if a jury enters a courtroom already believing the accused is guilty?

Good thing we don't convict people on stats. Presumption of innocence is an important human right. How do you think our system can function properly if a jury enters a courtroom already believing the accused is guilty?

Public opinion is not the same as a courtroom. Because of the settlement and the lack of evidence being presented it's really hard to try and look at this case either way. In the case of Bill Cosby the sheer volume of allegations of rape was a strong factor in people turning on him.

I know nothing of this woman or this situation but I can tell you that this lady isn't Ronaldo's 'cup of tea'.
giphy.gif

petran79

Banned
Surprised Ronaldo wasnt arrested on the spot during that time.
If American authorities can arrest the IMF Managing Director, Ronaldo wouldnt even stand a chance. But as time passes by things get more difficult to prove.

entremet

There's ways to go about reserving judgement, you know.

This for example is pretty acceptable.

This here is straight up bullshit.

Couple of things here, don't you think I'm aware of that? Adding you "you know" to the end of sentence came come off as condescending.

Second, call someone's post straight bullshit without explaining why is ridiculously rude. I mean, fuck. I know this is a sensitive topic, but what's the point of discussing things if you're not going to have patience to rebut or challenge arguments in a civil way?

riotous

Banned
These situations are always awful; in more normal cases you have less reason to believe a victim is lying but when a celebrity is involved it raises the stakes. It also means the victim is likely being harassed by adoring fans. At the same time attractive celebrities have routinely had fucked up rapey personalities so it's also not that hard to believe.

We rarely have more evidence than a he-said she-said either. As always I hope a rape didn't occur because I'd never want anyone to go through that, but at the same time if it did I hope the money helps them in a way that lets them focus on their recovery.

Couple of things here, don't you think I'm aware of that? Adding you "you know" to the end of sentence came come off as condescending.

Second, call someone's post straight bullshit without explaining why is ridiculously rude. I mean, fuck. I know this is a sensitive topic, but what's the point of discussing things if you're not going to have patience to rebut or challenge arguments in a civil way?

First thing: It's not that easy for a non-native speaker to know what sounds condescending or not. The "you know" is more of a habit. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Second: Like really, yes, this is a sensitive topic. That's why anyone should be able to see that his last sentence is completely off the mark. Especially after the last pages full of statistics and explanations why rape is rarely fabricated or dropped after the filing. Didn't think I'd have to elaborate as it seemed pretty self-evident. But I did now.

It didn't prove that she was anally rapid. It just suggests they had anal sex. The injuries could easily have occurred during consensual anal sex. Laceration just means a tear in the skin.

yeah, I don't think the general population has a good understanding of what a rape kit can and cannot prove. The backlog is a huge problem, certainly, but if consent is the issue and not the act itself, then they are going to be of limited utility. Tearing, bruising, irritations, etc, are going to occur in the ordinary course of sex acts, some more than others of course, and particularly if the partners aren't familiar with each other. If the defense is consent, then the rape kit is an after thought unless the DNA has a codis hit or there is an std present.

kingkaiser

It's scary as fuck how some people are willing to jeopardize essential rights in favor of some moral high ground they think they have the monopoly on.

It's scary as fuck how some people are willing to jeopardize essential rights in favor of some moral high ground they think they have the monopoly on.

Who here says that the assumption that the victim is very likely telling the truth is to be taken to the court? Of course presumption of innocence is something that must be upheld.

Doesn't change the fact that starting with believing the victim first and foremost before the trial is the proper thing to do. Anything else just discourages victims to report it or pursue it further.

Derwind

I know this is very sensitive, but, she flirted, kissed, went to his suite.... and accepted a pretty small amount.

Just observing.

None of that has anything to do in relation to rape. Sex is a very explicit act and if the person does not consent, that is where that shit ends.

If you can ask yourself if under the same circumstance and you invited a person to your suite, would you ignore them telling you "No" in response to sex because they were flirty with you earlier?

If you yourself wouldn't do that, than why excuse this particular celebrity?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If I was being too mean, I apologize.

Are you serious? The last sentence? Believing a potential victim of a generally underreported crime that has a small rate of actual fabrications is "just as bad" as believing the potential criminal?

Get out with that shit.

He's a rich star footballer. Not some random guy. It never went to trial, so we don't know what else was there. You are presuming the she's telling the truth based on?

I'm just saying, you can't just assume one way or the other in this case.

Baki

Unfortunately we don't know the facts & probably never will. I'll reserve my judgement of Ronaldo for now.

I only wish there was a way to get the truth.

It's disgusting to see how many people will instantly jump to the womans defense just because she has labelled herself a victim, even when all the signs clearly point to her just wanting an easy payday from a multi-millionaire.

Rape 'victims' are given the benefit of the doubt way too often, this is not only a culture problem but it is a sexism problem. The amount of people instantly taking sides of the woman (after knowing nothing about what truly happened) is a stellar example of sexism.

The male is always guilty and females don't lie for personal gain apparently.

Edit: For those now chastising me for this post, you are likely part of the problem, my point is that nobody knows what truly happened nothing else, yet you are all jumping to conclusions due to sexist preconceptions. Christano could just as easily be the victim in this case, saying things like 'he probably doesn't know the meaning of no' is just as bad as blaming the 'victim'.

Um, no it is not. Cristiano is not equally likely to be a victim, because it is significantly more common for a woman to be a rape victim than for a man to be a victim of a false claim of rape. Further, there are many situations where a victim of rape, if they came forward, would come out worse for it than the person she is accusing, especially in this situation. What if her name got out and she got doxed and threatened for years and years and had to upend her entire life? What if he was not convicted? If not convicted, she would be branded a liar regardless of why she was convicted. Further, her entire life would be put on trial to hurt her credibility, which would also tarnish her name. If he is convicted with incontrovertible proof against him, the victim would STILL be doxed and threatened and have her life upended, because he is a famous man. There are tons of risks associated with attempting to frame someone for rape, and combined with the act's scarcity, any such claim that there is an equal potential of victimhood is absurd.

It's disgusting to see how many people will instantly jump to the womans defense just because she has labelled herself a victim, even when all the signs clearly point to her just wanting an easy payday from a multi-millionaire.

Rape 'victims' are given the benefit of the doubt way too often, this is not only a culture problem but it is a sexism problem. The amount of people instantly taking sides of the woman (after knowing nothing about what truly happened) is a stellar example of sexism.

The male is always guilty and females don't lie for personal gain apparently.

Edit: For those now chastising me for this post, you are likely part of the problem, my point is that nobody knows what truly happened nothing else, yet you are all jumping to conclusions due to sexist preconceptions. Christano could just as easily be the victim in this case, saying things like 'he probably doesn't know the meaning of no' is just as bad as blaming the 'victim'.
Fucking insane levels of irony blinders in this post.
Meant to bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom