• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NEW) Demon Soul's State of Play - Character Creator, Menu's, New Gameplay and much more. Dev Commentary too!

Re-watching footage from previous trailers and the camera on this new clip does seem to be the classic one - a bit zoomed out.

The new camera on previous clips brings all the crisp detail much closer to the player... which is what some people may be noticing as the "downgrade".

Thank god for TLOU, and all the games that are copying it.

There's an option to change it to the original.

I think that's what we saw here - the original.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Anyone else notice the description of the video:

"SIE Worldwide Studios Creative Director Gavin Moore shares development and gameplay insight into Demon's Souls, a PlayStation classic lovingly rebuilt for PS5. Journey into Boletaria on November 12?"

Hmm

outputbc00d42f0f316b79.png

"SIE Worldwide Studios Creative Director Gavin Moore shares development and gameplay insight into Demon's Souls, a PlayStation classic lovingly rebuilt for PS5. Journey into Boletaria on November 12?"

Hmm

He's Sony's handler for Bluepoint on this remake.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Hmm

'So what you're saying is' Sony have bought Bluepoint?

Yes.. but he's referred to as "sie worldwide studios creative director" implying he's a creative director for Sony. Last time I checked, Bluepoint isn't a sie studio

True. I don't think Bluepoint has been bought however. He talked about Bluepoint's studio size in one of his interviews where he spilled that 65-75 people were working on it from BluePoint, with external help from SIE external aid studios. Seems like a point man to give guidelines on the project, make sure it comes to fruition, make sure the resources are there, timelines are met etc. In other words, he's not a Bluepoint employee that suddently became a Sony producer because Bluepoint got bought.

He also directed Puppeteer, so he's more than just a technical producer.

Good point.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Game looks astounding, I just wish I really enjoyed these games. I truly do.

That being said, I'd be more than willing to give it another shot. How could I not?!

This is fucking downgraded.

Look at the reveal and look at this.

I don’t see a single downgrade. The reveal was 4k30fps fidelity mode and all subsequent gameplay trailers including this one has been 4k60fps. What exactly do you mean downgrade? If anything it looks jaw dropping in its current state. If you want to see an actual downgrade you’re going to be disappointed

Bartski

Gold Member
So beautiful. I'm genuinely envious of so many of you getting this one week earlier.

Quite surprising to see all enemy positions intact. I wonder if they addressed some doubtful design choices from the original though, like killing the red dragon BS in Boletaria 1-2, the Dragon God "boss fight" or a different cheese strats like poison cloud...

This and Ratchet and Clank but I don't think I've seen any "bad looking" next gen games other than Bugsnax but that was probably on purpose.

yes ratchet and clank rift apart looks next gen too. I’m just trying to picture how games like god of war sequel or a mgs remake will look on ps5 🤤🤤

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So beautiful. I'm genuinely envious of so many of you getting this one week earlier.

Quite surprising to see all enemy positions intact. I wonder if they addressed some doubtful design choices from the original though, like killing the red dragon BS in Boletaria 1-2, the Dragon God "boss fight" or a different cheese strats like poison cloud...
ugh "doubtful" already we have people questioning From's unimpeachable genius

please god i hope they didn't change any of these

MiguelItUp

Also, wanted to point out that there wasn't a downgrade. But I remember reading somewhere that in earlier footage the camera was adjusted. Not sure why, maybe for dramatic effect?

Seeing the lightning strike, particle effects, etc. It looks no different from the previous videos. Just the camera is now located where players expected and preferred it. That'd be cool if that new angle was an option in the game though, just to have.

Hope they've improved some of the boss encounters and some of the stats like how armor works (not by a lot, but balancing it a bit more). I'm actually far less afraid of some gameplay tweaks. Like how they limited grass, that's a good change.

However, the big sin is lighting. Some of the areas look utterly mundane compared to Demon's Souls (PS3), a lot due to the lighting.

Just look at the video and compare to Mind Flayers on PS3:
2DDB62FAB307310A2060F81A61D43EE08508CECB

Visibility of VoD also seems to have increased, which in my opinion sort of ruins the disorienting nature and oppressive feel of the stage.

index-0000000000-640x360.jpg

Have they increased the lighting just for the videos or? All in all, it feels a bit soulless compared to Demon's Souls (PS3). It looks great and will probably be an addition that those who loved DS3 will be happy with, but it just feels less scary and oppressive than Demon's Souls (PS3). Most of what Demon's Souls is known for is its levels and their moods. Boss-wise, they've been rather easy, which is why I always thought Bluepoint should stay as true as possible to the original arts-wise, but improve on the gameplay elements.

Hope they've improved some of the boss encounters and some of the stats like how armor works (not by a lot, but balancing it a bit more). I'm actually far less afraid of some gameplay tweaks. Like how they limited grass, that's a good change.

However, the big sin is lighting. Some of the areas look utterly mundane compared to Demon's Souls (PS3), a lot due to the lighting.

Just look at the video and compare to Mind Flayers on PS3:
2DDB62FAB307310A2060F81A61D43EE08508CECB

Visibility of VoD also seems to have increased, which in my opinion sort of ruins the disorienting nature and oppressive feel of the stage.

index-0000000000-640x360.jpg

Have they increased the lighting just for the videos or? All in all, it feels a bit soulless compared to Demon's Souls (PS3). It looks great and will probably be an addition that those who loved DS3 will be happy with, but it just feels less scary and oppressive than Demon's Souls (PS3). Most of what Demon's Souls is known for is its levels and their moods. Boss-wise, they've been rather easy, which is why I always thought Bluepoint should stay as true as possible to the original arts-wise, but improve on the gameplay elements.
You can change filter mod to make the game looks like ps3 version

You can change filter mod to make the game looks like ps3 version

The fact that it's a filter and not default is itself a problem. I've yet to see any example of the filter either in the trailers I've seen, meaning there's no guarantee that the visibility distance and lighting is affect, it might merely be a color filter for all I know. All I've seen is that it's supposed to make the game look "more like the PS3 version" and not necessarily fix these glaring flaws.

Demon's Souls was 100% atmosphere and its level design based around that. That's why it's ridiculous to remake it and fail around making that the centerpoint. Because the original bosses were literally puzzle bosses, outside of a few select ones. That's why I hoped Bluepoint would focus on fixing outdated bosses (as in being far too easy) and gameplay elements.

The fact that it's a filter and not default is itself a problem. I've yet to see any example of the filter either in the trailers I've seen, meaning there's no guarantee that the visibility distance and lighting is affect, it might merely be a color filter for all I know. All I've seen is that it's supposed to make the game look "more like the PS3 version" and not necessarily fix these glaring flaws.

Demon's Souls was 100% atmosphere and its level design based around that. That's why it's ridiculous to remake it and fail around making that the centerpoint. Because the original bosses were literally puzzle bosses, outside of a few select ones. That's why I hoped Bluepoint would focus on fixing outdated bosses (as in being far too easy) and gameplay elements.
Just wait and see how they handle it. To me personally i like remake version more but i can understand why you guys prefer the original version.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The player really suck. surprised he/she didn't die sooner. I remember DS is more punishing than this. Even the boss gives very clear feedback to move away yet they kept attacking, I was like what!! "Welcome to the real Demon Souls'' ? more like welcome to amateur hour.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Also, wanted to point out that there wasn't a downgrade. But I remember reading somewhere that in earlier footage the camera was adjusted. Not sure why, maybe for dramatic effect?

Seeing the lightning strike, particle effects, etc. It looks no different from the previous videos. Just the camera is now located where players expected and preferred it. That'd be cool if that new angle was an option in the game though, just to have.
But it is, no?

Top Bottom