• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Coreteks video: nVidia about to turn the GPU market upside down: lots of new tech and insane stuff to be released!

waylo

Banned
Was set on a 3080 up until now, but seeing all this talk about a 3090, perhaps we go with that?

GIMME ALL THE POWAH!

diffusionx

Gold Member
XSX will be somewhere between a 2080 super and 2080 Ti.
Likely price around $500-600.
If I can't get something equivalent of a 2080 Ti for around that when Ampere launches (maybe 3070?), I'm likely going console again.
I'm guessing it's not going to happen unless RDNA2 is very competitive and they make it much cheaper (undercut Nvidia by at least 20%).
Hard to see this happening. Will be interesting to see if the GPU makers see consoles as competition or they see the PC market as mostly separate.

Both - the CEO of Nvidia references consoles now and again. They obviously want console gamers to consider PC, and it becomes an easier sell as the generation goes on and PC hardware gets more powerful. But they also have a market of people who want more than console and are willing to pay for it.

Has anyone seen the latest PC Gamer Show? Hardly any games even use textures anymore. Generation Z devs are making garbage low-res textured games. That all started with Torchlight. The power is here, use your br... err nevrmnd

PC gaming show has always been dominated by pixelshit indie games and early access survival sims. It's not even worth watching, ever.

Dontero

Banned
It is about the time for Nvidia to sell gamers some proffesional hardware features they don't need because cost of redesign of arch would be too big for small pc gaming market. AMD sold you "compute". Nvidia sold you "cuda", "rtx" and tensor cores which are 99% useless and they laughed at gamers eating that shit up with smile.

The only gaming hardware feature Nvidia had was PsyhX which they bought from AGEIA then they basically killed its developement because physic engine is useless for professional space which uses different methods for their simulation.

I hope intel will joing properly in GPU space for some motherfucking competition.

DeaDPo0L84

You can spend 10000$ and still not have as much fun as on 200$ ps4 sadly. It all just comes down to what games You play.
Can't say I am using that rtx 2070 for much except playing older games at 4k

This doesn't apply to me whatsoever though lol. I have owned a PS4 and then a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One X since they have come out. I have countless hours playing all the big AAA exclusives on consoles. I will still get a PS5 to play the exclusives but absolutely everything else will be played on PC. I play a lot of Destiny 2 and yesterday for the first time since having my first gaming PC that I built last September, I decided to side by side have my PS4 Pro on and PC and compare the load times and gameplay experience between each. My takeaway was I absolutely cannot play shooters on consoles anymore, they feel like, for a lack of better words, absolute dog shit. Playing Destiny 2 @ 1440p/120fps with g sync makes the console version feel like a slideshow with constant lag.

That has been my experience with any game I play on PC that I played on console previously, it's just simply downright better on PC as a gameplay experience which for me equates in fun.

FStubbs

From a console perspective, it would be interesting to see how much of this power ends up in their Tegra chips, since that's likely what the Switch's successor will be rolling with in 3-4 years.

Mister Wolf

That sounds like someone that took a compromise. :messenger_sunglasses:

You know what now you got me thinking. I never even considered the Titan but it really would be the best way I could ensure playing these next gen multiplatform games that's 4k 30 on the consoles at 4K and over 60fps on my PC. What's the point of having a HDMI 2.1 TV if you're not going to take full advantage of its resolution and framerate limits(4K 120hz). I'm just going to get a Titan and charge it to my card, its basically going to be the same price as what I spent for the TV anyway. Thanks for helping me come to my senses.

Last edited:
"This tech will enable the screen to have a very high final resolution with great image quality and even support for holographic content."

^This is absolute gibberish. Holographic content?:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes.
You know, like that 1080 thing that was barely faster than 980Ti AIBs, yet more expensive. Oh, and also "next gen" to it.

Or, you know, that pissing off TSMC (I wonder, how long Huang's list of "I've pissed this company off" is) and going with Samsung for mainstream GPUs having impact.

Or, you know, justifying asking even moar monez.

Or, you know, that leak stating the biggest GPU will struggle to keep +40% over 2080Ti.

Or, FFS, pay attention to that "possible" word in that sentence, god forbid.

The levels of green reality distortion tint in this thread are hilarious.

Regardless of what its performance is? Or rather, what perf do you expect, related to current gen.

40% over a 2080ti is no small feat, and I'd wager that comparison isn't really comparing the RT capabilities. Even then, I'd bet that most people aren't upgrading from the 20xx series to the 30xx series. They are coming from the 9xx or the 10xx series which makes that number of performance improvement closer to 100%-140%. The 20xx series was massively overpriced and with the minimal upgrade compared to the 10xx series, made no sense. The 2080 Super is to this day roughly only 10% faster than the 1080ti. That's awful. The 10xx series has had a lot of overhead which has made waiting so long not a hard thing to do. They accidentally made the 1080ti too good and made it one of the best price/performance ratios in the history of GPU's. NV was scared of what they though AMD and their VEGA cards would do so they built the 1080ti with a lot of overhead with a very reasonable price of $699. I really think we'll see the 30xx series come down on average across the board by at least $100.00 compared to their 20xx series because now AMD is actually competing on a closer level than ever before.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Regardless of what its performance is? Or rather, what perf do you expect, related to current gen.
I own two SLI 980s, so i expect better performance than that. And if 3080 is better than 2080Super, which it should there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Sounds cool, I'm always down to see GPU tech advance further. I'll likely wait a few years until they drop a revision of the 3070 and grab that.

Personally, I'm not overly interested in 4k just yet. I've got two 27" 1440p monitors that do 144hz with G Sync. At those settings, my standard RTX 2070 has handled anything I've thrown at it just fine thus far at Ultra settings. Worst comes to worst, I may eventually have to downgrade to High... I'll live. There's plenty of life left in my current rig.

I'd rather put that money towards games and peripherals. I'm still waiting for VR to reach a point where my curmudgeonly ass is impressed enough to dive in. NVIDIA entering that world is all the more intriguing.

#1440pmasterrace

Anki

Banned
I am using 970gtx and i recently got 144hz 1440p monitor so i am really excited for next gen gpu's. at the moment i am playing older games (half life 2) so i can experience higher refresh rate at 1440p but on newer titles at that resolution i cannot even hit 60fps. This is the first time i am more excited for new gpu than new consoles :).

Last edited:

CuNi

I am using 970gtx and i recently got 144hz 1440p monitor so i am really excited for next gen gpu's. at the moment i am playing older games (half life 2) so i can experience higher refresh rate at 1440p but on newer titles at that resolution i cannot even hit 60fps. This is the first time i am more excited for new gpu than new consoles :).

I'm on a 970 as well and I can't wait for a upgrade as even Overwatch struggles to hit over 220FPS for me nowadays with how big this game became.
I've got a 240Hz monitor that wants to be fed! Destiny 2 even plays out between 70 and 90. PvP maps fortunately sometimes go up to 120 but thats on a case by case basis.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Sounds cool, I'm always down to see GPU tech advance further. I'll likely wait a few years until they drop a revision of the 3070 and grab that.

Personally, I'm not overly interested in 4k just yet. I've got two 27" 1440p monitors that do 144hz with G Sync. At those settings, my standard RTX 2070 has handled anything I've thrown at it just fine thus far at Ultra settings. Worst comes to worst, I may eventually have to downgrade to High... I'll live. There's plenty of life left in my current rig.

I'd rather put that money towards games and peripherals. I'm still waiting for VR to reach a point where my curmudgeonly ass is impressed enough to dive in. NVIDIA entering that world is all the more intriguing.

#1440pmasterrace

A RTX 2070 is maxing 144hz 1440p on Ultra settings?

That seems a bit doubtful. I have a 1440p gsync 144hz montior and a GTX 1080. WIth Doom Eternal I was getting between 80 and 90 FPS on High settings.

Top Bottom