• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New comic book company - the Rippaverse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Eric July, owner and founder of Rippaverse comics, has started his own company in order to give comic fans an alternative to the ultra-woke Marvel and DC comics. A brand new comic book series that hopefully will be a new beginning for fans of true super hero comics.

He intends to respect lore, continuity, the fans and the world he has created. He started a pre-order campaign for the first issue of ISOM and managed to get one million dollars within a single day. The campaign still has about two months to go and nears two million in pre-orders.

Here's the trailer ...

Here's his website.

https://rippaverse.com/

Support if you like what you see and hear.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Comicbooks subreddit already banned it because of his personal political beliefs.

Glad to see he is well surpassing their goals in fundraising.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm busy moving so I won't be order my copy till next month which sucks since I'm going to miss out on the cover I wanted.

I like the premise so hopefully it turns out well.

Kssio_Aug

If their comics are good, with nice characters, great plot, and all... I'm in. I never heard about it before, hoping for the best!

Don't know why were banned in r/comicbooks, but it seems a very ignorant decision of them.

sol_bad

This guy is a bit of a wank but if his comic turns out to have positive word of mouth I'll check it out. He'd need to release them digitally though and it sure as fuck needs to be cheaper than $35usd for 96 pages.

sol_bad

What exactly is "hateful" about him? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know anything about the dude and I'm on my way to work so can't commit the brain power to look it up.

Just look at his video trailer, he fits in well with people like Nerdrotic, Babyface, CriticalDrinker and Starwarsgirl.

teezzy

Banned
What has he written?

Why should I care about his characters/stories/etc?

I enjoy comic books, but I couldn't give a hoot less if they're woke or not... just give me a good story

This seems like marketing for the easily gullible tbh

The anti-woke crowd are starting to annoy me just as much as the woke crowd at this point

Nickolaidas

Banned
What has he written?

Why should I care about his characters/stories/etc?

I enjoy comic books, but I couldn't give a hoot less if they're woke or not... just give me a good story

This seems like marketing for the easily gullible tbh

The anti-woke crowd are starting to annoy me just as much as the woke crowd at this point
Well, for super hero fans, the current things coming out are shit, so we might as well try something new. If it sucks, it sucks. And we move on.

teezzy

Banned
Well, for super hero fans, the current things coming out are shit, so we might as well try something new. If it sucks, it sucks. And we move on.

Are Spider-Man and Daredevil shit tier now or something?

I stopped following the big two and just buy Buffy books now. Not because of any agenda, I just couldn't keep up with everything

Nickolaidas

Banned

I stopped following the big two and just buy Buffy books now. Not because of any agenda, I just couldn't keep up with everything
No idea. Stopped reading Marvel Comics after X-Men Green. Didn't have the stomach for it anymore. DC Comics too.

Fed up with them creating an 'event' every six months, 'forcing' you to buy 56 books in order to get the whole picture. Sick of all those bullshit 'multiverse' crap where every story was about 'hero variation 45' doing something bad that threatens the entire multiverse and 34 Batmen or Spider-Men ganging up to fight this new menace.

Fucking sick of it. Overconvoluted unnecessary complicated bullshit that is impossible to follow unless you buy every single Marvel book or something.

Oh, and being subconsciously brainwashed to hate myself simply for being straight and white didn't do them any favors either.

kunonabi

Yes, they're pretty terrible these days. The point of the Rippaverse isn't really to be anti-woke but to just focus on stories, character, and continuity. Being anti-woke would be just as bad as being woke and the author has said as much.

Man, the Buffy comics are still going? I tried to get into that but I peaced out after like the first trade paperback.

teezzy

Banned
Man, the Buffy comics are still going? I tried to get into that but I peaced out after like the first trade paperback.

Yeah. Four full seasons through Dark Horse after the show ended. Season 12 was only four issues. Dark Horse also had some books which ran concurrently with the television show while it was still on.

Recently the rights were bought by Boom! and they did a reboot of both Buffy and Angel. It's chill enough

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, they're pretty terrible these days. The point of the Rippaverse isn't really to be anti-woke but to just focus on stories, character, and continuity. Being anti-woke would be just as bad as being woke and the author has said as much.

Check This Out GIF

Nickolaidas

Banned
So who is this guy? 🤔
Rapper who went YouTuber and made a name there by voicing his dislike over what pop culture devolved into - like a poster above said, he's in the same vein with Nerdrotic, AzzHeelsBabyFace, 1/4 Black Garret, Geeks and Gamers, Critical Drinker and the like. If you like them you like them, if not, you don't.

While I do not share all of the political views those people have, I mostly agree with their view on pop culture and the wokeness/business decisions that resulted in a massive decrease of quality.

Eric July however is also a comic book nerd and he decided to finally do something about it, and started his own comic book company. If it starts well, it may draw out artists and writers who left Marvel and DC (due to opposing views) and make them join his company instead.

And THAT could be the beginning of something grand.

Aggrotek

The dude has a major passion for comics and it is fantastic to see how successful his venture into it is so far. That being said, he has a lot to prove. It would be nice to see a new indie comic creator make waves.

daveonezero

Banned
Rapper who went YouTuber and made a name there by voicing his dislike over what pop culture devolved into - like a poster above said, he's in the same vein with Nerdrotic, AzzHeelsBabyFace, 1/4 Black Garret, Geeks and Gamers, Critical Drinker and the like. If you like them you like them, if not, you don't.
He is or was a rapper but his main gig before YouTube is a singer for his metal band Backwordz.

On top of that the dude is a no government free market type of libertarian.

That’s why people don’t like him.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Eric July is an awesome guy. Love seeing people with integrity win.

Much respect for actually putting in the work instead of being the type to only complain. Best of luck to him and his collaborators.

teezzy

Banned
He is or was a rapper but his main gig before YouTube is a singer for his metal band Backwordz.

On top of that the dude is a no government free market type of libertarian.

That’s why people don’t like him.

People dislike Libertarians?

Sad Pikachu GIF

daveonezero

Banned
Also Eric is more of a producer on this project or consultant. I maybe mistaken but I’m pretty sure he is collaborating with experienced artists and writers that left the industry because they were forced out because of cultural conflict.

I’m not into comics but I ordered one of these out of principle. And I like the art.
People dislike Libertarians?

Sad Pikachu GIF
yes. Even on this site…and it’s small l. :) but dangerous territory to talk about here.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

This story is so interesting to me. So liberals are always complaining that minorities need better access to representtion and things like media companies, studios, game development, etc that is wholly black own and promotes material that reflects their culture. Enter Eric. He creates his own comic book label, engineers one of the most profitable Kickstarters in recent history and starts to promote comics made by young black voices. This would seem the dream that liberals have been pushing for right? Wrong!! Instead they are blocking him from forums, trying to cancel him, and attacking him every chance they get. Turns out in order for libs to support you, you have to be the right type of black person. You know enslaved to their parties' ideology and unable to think on your own. Eric though is a strong conservative and that just eats at them, cannot have successful black men out there that aren't under the boots of their liberal masters!

Nickolaidas

Banned
This story is so interesting to me. So liberals are always complaining that minorities need better access to representtion and things like media companies, studios, game development, etc that is wholly black own and promotes material that reflects their culture. Enter Eric. He creates his own comic book label, engineers one of the most profitable Kickstarters in recent history and starts to promote comics made by young black voices. This would seem the dream that liberals have been pushing for right? Wrong!! Instead they are blocking him from forums, trying to cancel him, and attacking him every chance they get. Turns out in order for libs to support you, you have to be the right type of black person. You know enslaved to their parties' ideology and unable to think on your own. Eric though is a strong conservative and that just eats at them, cannot have successful black men out there that aren't under the boots of their liberal masters!
Which reveals the ugly truth. They don't want black people to succeed. They want black people to be constantly viewed and considered as 'oppressed' so that they can constantly bitch about them. In the end, those people are incapable of succeeding or creating, so they just bitch about. And they need things to bitch about. And if they don't find said things where they are, they find them where they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom