• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Call of Duty from Sledgehammer is ‘built for next-gen’, Activision says

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

“In particular, we are very excited for this year’s premium Call of Duty release,” president and chief operating officer Daniel Alegre said during the company’s first quarter earnings call on Tuesday.

“Development is being led by Sledgehammer Games and the game is looking great and on track for its fall release.

“This is a built for next generation experience with stunning visuals across campaign, multiplayer and co-operative modes of play, designed to both integrate with and enhance the existing COD ecosystem,” Alegre added.

“We look forward to sharing more details with the community soon.”

The game will likely share weapons and progression with Warzone, but it’s unclear how deep the integration with the battle royale title will go, due to both scheduling issues and the significant change in time setting.

“If we look ahead for Warzone later this year, there’ll be some other really fun integration with the great work that Sledgehammer Games is leading for this year’s new premium release,” Activision president Rob Kostich said on Tuesday’s earnings call.

“It’s worth noting that Sledgehammer is a studio now that is also stronger than ever. The studio has expanded its very talented team across its Foster City and Melbourne locations and now it’s even expanding further to Sledgehammer Toronto.

“Most importantly, at the end of the day, we believe fans are going to be really, really excited and are going to love what the studio is building.”

Stuart360

200.gif

Valt7786

This is such fluff.
They're hardly going to say "Fuck sake, been put in charge of this years CoD, but it's gone through development hell so it's gonna be worse received than Cold War was. Can't wait for Bobby to fire me and my team so he can pocket another 200 million, thanks Activision!"

Stuart360

So this Warzone integration, is it going to be like with Cold War and we just get yeat again the same Warzone map changed to match the timeframe of the new COD game?.
Warzone really doesnt deserve having the success its had being stuck on the same one map for over a year, barring slight changes. Christ there are Indie BR games that launch with 3 or 4 maps lol.

NickFire

If it were a much smaller game, I might believe it was built for next gen (as I would use the term). If it were a year from now, I might believe the 2022 COD was built for next gen (as I would use the term). But I do not believe, for one second, that this year's COD was built for next gen as I use the term.

WorldHero

People said the same with Battlefield 3 and 4, and that was a time when popularity in COD was thought to be on the wane, it still didnt happen.
Cold War has done nothing to increase the player base or improve the reception of the last game. It will likely be worse when the new game comes in the Fall if the development rumors are true. Unless it is a sequel to Modern Warfare, the game will likely suffer.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
While yes they are full of shit, I'd like to remind everyone its normal for PS4 games to still be coming out this year. The 360, a freakin 2005 console, got Titanfall, Rise of Tomb Raider, Black Ops 3, Alien Isolation, MGSV, e.t.c. during the transition remember?

2022 yeah it'll be a little ridiculous and annoying, but 2021 is totally understandable. These are 7 month old machines with tiny userbases compared to PS4. You're just leaving free money on the table by not releasing a PS4 version.

elliot5

Built for next gen just means taking into consideration. They'll still release it on last gen. 2022 will see only next-gen.

TheKratos

So this Warzone integration, is it going to be like with Cold War and we just get yeat again the same Warzone map changed to match the timeframe of the new COD game?.
Warzone really doesnt deserve having the success its had being stuck on the same one map for over a year, barring slight changes. Christ there are Indie BR games that launch with 3 or 4 maps lol.
It's easy mode battle royale, or battle royale lite. Casuals love it.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What they mean by built for next generation is next gen payment. They now support crypto wallets.

The only reason it's popular is because it's a free cod multiplayer. I enjoy cod multiplayer and hate Warzone.

But I'm skipping the main game as well too tired starting fresh every fucking year.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But I thought next gen was officially ruined by series S, how is this even possible that a next gen engine by a big developer could be created? :messenger_winking_tongue:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the only games they made themselves were AW and WWII. Maybe they were 50/50 with IW for MW3 and MW and Cold War they are support staff.

Expectations are low.

If their game is WWII based and it sucks, I'll be pissed. 2017 WWII was an ok game, but lacked content. Few MP maps and War maps. Might had the COD game with the fewest maps ever.

Games[edit]​

Last edited:

Catphish

Cold War was the first CoD I haven't bought in some time. I liked Modern Warfare, but the TDM map quantity was sorely lacking. The ballooning quarter-TB install was the last straw. Uninstalled, never to return.

I don't care about Warzone. I just want quality TDM with a steady rotation of good maps, and no bullshit weapons (looking at you, incendiary shotgun). And bring the fking map vote back.

Alas, I don't think CoD is intended for people like me anymore, so this will probably be the end of that particular relationship. Passing on Cold War was a lot easier than I expected. Won't take much to forget about the franchise altogether.

ZehDon

Huh. I thought the current rumour mill for this one was that it was in absolute shambles, and Activision was already prepping their response plan to the bad launch?

kikkis

Aw warfare got some praise for its "next gen" visuals despite coming to last gen as well so I guess something like that is possible now too

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol you guys do know advanced warfare was a year 1 title and it was also built by sledgehammer and was built on next gen first and downported later. It was a massive upgrade from cod ghosts.

kikkis

Lol you guys do know advanced warfare was a year 1 title and it was also built by sledgehammer and was built on next gen first and downported later. It was a massive upgrade from cod ghosts.
Cross gen titles are usually done by trying to tailor rendering and art to suit both specs like you can add raytracing but base assets need to fit to memory and render on old spec too. I think these made first on next gen and downported later are usually marketing. Though bo3 that was the case for the most part since bo3 was really crippled on ps3 and x360

This is good overview of Cod rendering C0DE517E: A retrospective on Call of Duty rendering

Last edited:

twilo99

Why isn't Infinity Ward doing every CoD ? They are obviously the best studio for the job.

Who developed the engine for MW 2019/Warzone? That thing is a bit of a masterpiece.

Top Bottom