• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman will be black, DC Comics announces

ManofOne

Plus Member
Character named Tim Fox will take up the cowl in new comic series written by 12 Years a Slave screenwriter John Ridley

The next hero to don Batman’s cowl will be a black man, named Tim Fox, DC Comics has revealed.

The identity of the new Batman, estranged son of Bruce Wayne’s business manager Lucius Fox, was announced by the comics publisher on Thursday. The new series will be written by John Ridley, the screenwriter of 12 Years a Slave, with art by Nick Derington and Laura Braga. It is set in a future Gotham City controlled by the villainous Magistrate, where all masked vigilantes are outlawed and Batman has been killed. Fox, as a new Batman, will rise up to save the day.

Ridley had previously revealed that the next Batman would be a person of colour, telling the New York Times that it was the first time his two sons had been “genuinely excited” about his work. “They appreciate the things that I do. They’re happy for me. They’re great supporters. But they would much rather see Black Panther than 12 Years a Slave, let’s be honest,” he said in November. “So to be able to write the next Batman, for them to know that this next Batman is going to be black, everybody else on the planet can hate it, have a problem with it, denigrate it, but I have my audience and they already love it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/dec/11/new-batman-will-be-black-dc-comics-announces

651.jpg

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Cultural appropriation!

Cmon lets go, white people can't voice black characters or have dreads or rap or pose for pictures or open bubble tea shops (thats Asians but they are white now) then how can this fly?

Enough of this blackwashing ok.

TBH I dont care. Batman will always be Bruce Wayne to me, and you can put Robim, or Nightwing, or Lucious Fox or anyone else, and Batman will still be Bruce Wayne.

Didn't they already have a black batman? when batman broke his back?

Lanrutcon

Well, that's one way to go. Let's see if it works out for them commercially HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahaha<snort>hahahah

i don't think a black batman is forced in this case, lucius fox is a close associate of bruce wayne so i can see a very nice bridge into this new direction

i still dislike the idea of a miles morales spider-man

that one to me is clearly "that casserole ass peter parker gotta go let's bring in miles morales and make some minority bucks"

I have to admit the idea of Lucius Fox having a son and becoming Batman is kinda interesting.

Also, for those who are about to go freak out about Batman being black, this sounds like an Elseworlds story in every way but name so.. not a big deal.

oagboghi2

Wow, another DC comicbook that will not sell, and it's failure will be blamed on racism, and not complete consumer apathy

I have to admit the idea of Lucius Fox having a son and becoming Batman is kinda interesting.

Also, for those who are about to go freak out about Batman being black, this sounds like an Elseworlds story in every way but name so.. not a big deal.
That's what everyone says at first. "It's just a spin-off!" or "Bruce Wayne is still white!". But that's not how black-washing works. Will we ever see Peter Parker as Spider Man again? I doubt it. This is a symbolic appropriation of our culture and its icons. To return to Bruce Wayne would be seen as regressive.

Kimahri

Banned
Why don't they create new characters instead of trying to replace old, established and cherished ones? Of course this will divide fans, you're changing something they love.

Creating something new is much better. Anyone got a problem with Black Panther, for example? Doubt it.

Where are the asians, polynesians, maoris, natives et all btw? Is it only black or white in the comics world?

Fbh

Sounds like it could be interesting.

To be honest the silliest part of this is the way it is being announced. The news here should be that "The new Batman will be the estranged son of Bruce Wayne’s business manager Lucius Fox" but instead all the focus is on his skin color. Seems kinda reductive

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Cultural appropriation!

Cmon lets go, white people can't voice black characters or have dreads or rap or pose for pictures or open bubble tea shops (thats Asians but they are white now) then how can this fly?

Enough of this blackwashing ok.

TBH I dont care. Batman will always be Bruce Wayne to me, and you can put Robim, or Nightwing, or Lucious Fox or anyone else, and Batman will still be Bruce Wayne.

Didn't they already have a black batman? when batman broke his back?
Azrael was originally a blonde white man in the Knightdale storyline

As demographics in the West change, this will become more and more common. Whites will be erased from history, beginning with their pop-culture. You won't even be granted a reservation to hide-in, because such spaces are "racist" and will be painted as a breeding ground for white-supremacy. This might not matter to those who remember when Batman was "some white guy". But the next generation will know nothing else. They will be raised in a world without any white role models.

The writing is on the wall; was there a single white-male protagonist in any of the games announced at the awards? I genuinely didn't see one when I scanned over the newly announced titles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad they didn't just retcon Bruce Wayne as a black man, but made this Batman the son of Lucius Fox. This could be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breakage

As demographics in the West change, this will become more and more common. Whites will be erased from history, beginning with their pop-culture. You won't even be granted a reservation to hide-in, because such spaces are "racist" and will be painted as a breeding ground for white-supremacy. This might not matter to those who remember when Batman was "some white guy". But the next generation will know nothing else. They will be raised in a world without any white role models.

The writing is on the wall; was there a single white-male protagonist in any of the games announced at the awards? I genuinely didn't see one when I scanned over the newly announced titles.
Thing is there is a significant section of the white population that welcomes what you describe. That's the reason this stuff has gained traction in recent years.

Calcium

Banned
Dudes, they got the writer of 12 Years a Slave penning the script

Might be damn good. Writing and art matter more than who is behind the cowl

The writer couldn't write a story about Bruce Wayne or *gasp* create a black character that isn't just changing the skin color of a white character?

Top Bottom