• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AAA game every other month from Microsoft...?

SamFo

I wrote the following on the Xbox One Reddit, but my post was immediately removed - so... fuck them? I'll just dump it here, excuse my wall of text:

I'm an Xbox fan, but some of the Fan Fiction and rumors around this company is insane.

If you actually sit back, listen and don't get caught up in the hype - I think you can see exactly what Microsoft is doing, and it's really exciting, but not in the way the rumors have said.
I think the AAA game every other month is fan fiction - You do not buy 'Double Fine' and 'Compulsion Games' to make big AAA blockbusters.

HOWEVER - I think that Microsoft clearly wants to have a stream of high-quality titles as often as they can for Gamepass and across retail.

I think it is more likely that they aim to release titles as outlined below:

AAA: Several MS published AAA titles released in a year, such as some of the titles below:
  • Halo
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Forza Spinoff (most likely Horizon)
  • Gears
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Fable
  • Obsidian's Big IP
  • Minecraft 2 (or equivalent)
  • The Initiative's Game
  • The Outer Worlds 2
  • Everwilds
AA towards AAA Then you have those games that I believe will be pushed towards AAA in terms of budget, marketing etc - but aren’t what I’d call AAA yet.
  • State of Decay
  • Hellblade 2
  • Minecraft Dungeons (I would have put this in the below group – but based on it being the top download on switch for weeks on end , I suspect it’ll be around for a while)
AA, A and B
Then pepper in other games to keep the content coming, these do not need to be huge sellers to survive and can be more niche/experimental – some might even jump up to the other groups and be huge sellers/game pass subscription sellers
  • Wasteland 3
  • Gears Tactics
  • Grounded
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Project Mara (Ninja Theory)
  • Bleeding Edge (Microsoft's Drawn to Death)
  • Double Fine's Games
  • Compulsion Games games
  • MS Flight Sim
  • Age of Empires
  • Battletoads
I think it would be quite interesting if studios in this group could also handle AND share some of the dormant IP's that do not get much love.

It’s unrealistic to think that Viva Pinata would see a large AAA scale release again, but with the Gamepass model and a ton of smaller studios and smaller teams within large studios (e.g. Obisidian and Ninja Theory) I think it’s possible that dormant IP’s could return.

3RD Party Timed Launch Exclusives
I suspect they will continue to partner with other studios to have timed launch console exclusives as they have in the past with:
  • INSIDE
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Dead Rising 4

From memory a few of the titles shown at Inside Xbox (ugh) the other day were potentially exclusive to Xbox, albeit in a timed fashion.

Full-on Third-Party Exclusives (e.g. Available everywhere but - never on Playstation™)
I do not know if this still fits into Microsoft’s strategy much at all, they have done it in the past, but I am not sure if this is where they will focus their efforts in future.
  • Cuphead
  • Ori
Are the bigger ones I can think of

A note on BIG BIG new IP:
This only includes IP that we know of, I suspect and hope that Microsoft will invest in new IP this generation
I think with Gears and Halo both ending their SECOND trilogies early in this generation – MS may start to use some staff from 343 and the Coalition to work on the next big thing rather than Gears 7 and Halo 7.

On Warner Brothers:
I Don't think Microsoft will buy WB Gaming as Phil said Minecraft would have been out of the budget - but Minecraft had more applications outside of just gaming.
Huge merchandising and apparel and education to name just a few. So MS was able to pony up the huge pricetag (and it paid off)

The only rumors I have seen regarding MS and WB seem to have come up after the news broke that WB was available and they feel wafer thin.

I think it is incredibly unlikely, but willing to eat crow on that one if MS does it.

Also, on the low chance MS buys WB, I presume they will continue to release their studios games multi-platform - assuming the IP's are part of the deal.
It’s just an odd business to have huge multiplatform games like Batman and Mortal Kombat be a console exclusive…

TL;DR: Xbox will have lots and lots of games of varying Size and Scope. These will all be on gamepass, and will probably look real nice.
This pretty much sums it up better than I could

Gamernyc78

Banned
Prob confirms that MS bought Capcom, WB Games and Sega. It's all making sense now.

Thy also demoted the exec tht said everything to the contrary bcus he wasn't suppose to say until ppl bought an Xbox and realized most of the games were AA filler. Remember few months ago something like "well be filling our catalog with AA tyoe games" something like tht lol 😂 😂 😂

It's funny this pops up right after Sony presentation and them showing their first party AAA arsenal.

Thy also demoted the exec tht said everything to the contrary bcus he wasn't suppose to say until ppl bought an Xbox and realized most of the games were AA filler. Remember few months ago something like "well be filling our catalog with AA tyoe games" something like tht lol 😂 😂 😂

It's funny this pops up right after Sony presentation and them showing their first party AAA arsenal.

They really demoted him? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

How is that inside info? It's a lot of guesses mixed with what we already know. Booty already mentioned the onslaught of games in an interview.

Also, what forums is that from?

It is from Beyond3D.

Also the insider has been proven to be reliable in the past:

jakinov

You also left out games such as The Order, Tearaway, Astrobot, First Light, Left Behind, Gravity Rush, Shadow of the Colossus, Farpoint, Wipeout Omega, Blood & Truth.
I noticed you edited your post while I was replying.

I did miss The Order. The rest are DLC, remasters , graphical revamps, remastered bundles. and seemingly very low budget/complexity games that would make them arguably not classified as AAA.

kebaldo

Also the insider has been proven to be reliable in the past:

How that "article" proves his reliability? it's an article on the new rumor doesn't have anything on his track record. Or I am missing something?

Vawn

Banned
I noticed you edited your post while I was replying.

I did miss The Order. The rest are DLC, remasters , graphical revamps, remastered bundles. and seemingly very low budget/complexity games that would make them arguably not classified as AAA.

Astrobot is absolutely AAA. And Shadow of the Colossus is a full-on remake, and wonderfully done. I guess Demon's Souls PS5 isn't AAA either?

Gravity Rush 2 sure seems AAA to me as well. Same with Tearaway and WipeOut. Or is anything that doesn't look realistic not considered AAA?

Also, again, why ignore all the exclusives that don't come from first-party studios? Who cares who makes the games if it's a great AAA game and can only be played on PlayStation? That just seems like a pointless caveat to make the libraries appear more comparable than they actually are.

Last edited:

the_master

They could actually mean, adding a relatively new AAA title on the game pass every other month.
They could also mean releasing AAA games every other month during the first year.

But all and all, if this games are all available and limited by Xbone, then it does not look as hot.

I hope this is true. Having Sony and MSFT going back and forth on AAA games means only good things for the consumer. Make these big ass corporations earn our money because they have the talent and content behind them, not just because they exist.

oldergamer

Also, again, why ignore all the exclusives that don't come from first-party studios? Who cares who makes the games if it's a great AAA game and can only be played on PlayStation? That just seems like a pointless caveat to make the libraries appear more comparable than they actually are.
The reason that is done, is it's exactly what the argument from sony fans has been for years. That timed exclusives or even games that will eventually arrive on PC were not to be included (where do you think the xbox has no games moniker came from)

It's funny to see you and others argue the total opposite now that it applies to sony timed exclusives.

Vawn

Banned
The reason that is done, is it's exactly what the argument from sony fans has been for years. That timed exclusives or even games that will eventually arrive on PC were not to be included (where do you think the xbox has no games moniker came from)

It's funny to see you and others argue the total opposite now that it applies to sony timed exclusives.

We always count PC Xbox games. Otherwise, if would literally be zero.

GymWolf

unicorn-gif.gif

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Astrobot is absolutely AAA. And Shadow of the Colossus is a full-on remake, and wonderfully done. I guess Demon's Souls PS5 isn't AAA either?

Gravity Rush 2 sure seems AAA to me as well. Same with Tearaway and WipeOut. Or is anything that doesn't look realistic not considered AAA?

The distinction between AA and AAA is kinda blurred sometimes... and I think people equate the launch price of a game with it's quality far too much. Those games you listed launched at $39.99 or cheaper (maybe Gravity Rush 2 launched at $59.99, but was quickly dropped to $39.99) so yeah, technically they did have a significantly smaller budget compared to what "most" people would consider AAA. Not saying anything on quality, as all those games you listed are incredible!

Vawn

Banned
The distinction between AA and AAA is kinda blurred sometimes... and I think people equate the launch price of a game with it's quality far too much. Those games you listed launched at $39.99 or cheaper (maybe Gravity Rush 2 launched at $59.99, but was quickly dropped to $39.99) so yeah, technically they did have a significantly smaller budget compared to what "most" people would consider AAA. Not saying anything on quality, as all those games you listed are incredible!

Ratchet and Clank launched at $40 too. I don't think anyone would consider that AA.

Tons of clearly AA JRPGs launch at $60 and rarely drop in price. The price is irrelevant.

But, I agree, AAA just refers to budget and scope - it has nothing to do with quality. Games like Hollow Knight are among the best games of the generation and don't even qualify as AA.

Last edited:

jakinov

Also, again, why ignore all the exclusives that don't come from first-party studios? Who cares who makes the games if it's a great AAA game and can only be played on PlayStation?
First things first, I was not trying to say everything you listed was AAA I should have been more clear and used "or" instead of "and"; but my meaning should have been implied anyways considering they aren't all DLC, remakes, remasters, or bundles either.

It's debatable but I don't think/consider Astrobot and Teraaway is AAA. Harder to argue without having the budget and development time. Teraway is also a remake/remaster/port. Shadow of The colossus is graphical remake, they didn't change anything in game design and even said they reused code from the original game which would substantial reduce the development effort as there would be no trial and error and they wouldn't have to start from scratch. Demon Souls PS5 is a AAA game but wouldn't count depending on how much they are planning on changing. I thought you were talking about Gravity Rush 1 because you didn't put the "2" which was a Vita game ported/remastered for PS4. Wipeout is an HD collection.

The reason DLC, remasters, remakes, and whatever are not relevant is because the topic at hand is about Microsoft (or Sony) ability to output 6 AAA games with their existing studios. It doesn't take a considerable amount of time to take an existing AAA game and update or slightly extend it. We're not having some fanboy argument of who has the most exclusives. The topic of the thread is that Microsoft wants to release a AAA game every other month. Then the people in this thread were discussing if that was feasible with what studios they have (because AAA games take a lot of time to create and cost money). And you replied to "everyone" by basically saying it was possible because PlayStation and Nintendo do it; and then later reference a bunch of remakes, remasters, DLC and standalone expansions as if it as the same development effort as a full-fledged brand new AAA game. If a company is a third-party that means they aren't part of a company regular capacity to create games. Meaning they can't necessarily get another contract any time they want. If we're accounting for third party contracts then it's not a reflection of the company's capacity but of who happens to be available to take contracts and how much the company is willing to spend. If we were discussing exclusives that bring value to a platform sure, name whatever you want. But we are not. It was whether or not Microsoft could really create that many AAA games. Bringing up technically AAA games where the work is mostly already done and the remaining work gets done by random other people does not say much about or counter against peoples concerns that a AAA game normally takes a significant amount of time/money to make.

I'm not trying to detract from PlayStation. PlayStation has a lot of exclusives. Nobody is arguing against that. To a consumer an exclusive is and exclusive. But we're not talking about that, we're talking about the feasibility of their rumored production/release cadence with what resources they have.

martino

Now with 23 studios and nearly 30 total teams goes from looking optimistic to obvious
this is why i'm not sure Nadella PR is more than that (and a warning for competition)
Or maybe it's only because i don't want things to go that far.

Andodalf

Banned
this is why i'm not sure Nadella PR is more than that (and a warning for competition)
Or maybe it's only because i don't want things to go that far.

If they truly want to be the Netflix of Games, a think a game every month is a strong target. So between 36 and 48 teams with a 3-4 year dev cycle. I could see them adding another 7-10 studios no problem in the next 2 years or so to get to that goal.

CitizenX

Banned
By AAA do you mean not finished, hasn't been their model already? Sea of thieves, State of decay, grounded, Wasteland still in EA with bugs.

martino

If they truly want to be the Netflix of Games, a think a game every month is a strong target. So between 36 and 48 teams with a 3-4 year dev cycle. I could see them adding another 7-10 studios no problem in the next 2 years or so to get to that goal.
this mean two big acquisitions...
nope i don't like that at all...
i wouild prefer a scenario where third party are ready to negociate day one gamepass on a selection of title.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
this mean two big acquisitions...
nope i don't like that at all...
i wouild prefer a scenario where third party are ready to negociate day one gamepass on a selection of title.

A major pickup like WB would get them there, or Something like SEGA + a coupler smaller teams like asobo and Bluber.

I feel like paying to have AAA games on gamepass day one doesn't really work financially unless you own the studio

Top Bottom